Gulutzan/Jerrad Fired + New Coaching Search Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'd prefer Recchi or someone outside of this organization. The plethora of former players doesn't bring a whole lot of new ideas to the table and it appears this organization could use some new ideas.
I already said this before that I am nervous giving it to another inexperienced GM like Recchi, with hardly anything on his resume vis-a-vis front-office tenure, to take up the reins of a vital position.

I'd rather it's someone with experience from outside the organization.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I already said this before that I am nervous giving it to another inexperienced GM like Recchi, with hardly anything on his resume vis-a-vis front-office tenure, to take up the reins of a vital position.

I'd rather it's someone with experience from outside the organization.
If it's between Recchi or Gainey though (no one saying it would be, but was in response to Gainey taking over)...I'd take Recchi in a heart beat.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
If it's between Recchi or Gainey though (no one saying it would be, but was in response to Gainey taking over)...I'd take Recchi in a heart beat.
I don't think Recchi would step in cold with no NHL experience. I think you'd likely see Gainey keep the seat warm.

That said, you can tell Gaglardi is a big, big fan of Recchi. I can't remember the exact quote ... maybe someone more interested could dig it up ... but at the press conference he was talking about how much he respected Recchi's ideas about how to run or build a team. Something along those lines.

When I heard it I got the feeling he was potentially introducing GM Joe's replacement.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
BigG44

Regarding a potential new coach, I think they'd go outside of the organization.

IDK how many people agree about this, but I think Willie is making a damn good case for himself if they hired from within. I know most people don't agree with how Austin Smith was handled, but Willie, while not entirely his own doing, has one of the Top PP's in the AHL, the best team in the AHL, and several players making huge strides (Eakin, R. Smith, Chiasson, Oleksiak, etc). Those players deserve most of the credit though for their progress, but after last season you can see how a coach can have negative impact on development. Last year was essentially a lost season with the exception of Fraser and Dillon.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:03 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
What a joke.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwang View Post
The problem with GM Joe is he has made some good moves, but a even larger number of idiotic moves.
Not to take this too far off topic, but the danger for Joe is that he potentially has 3 strikes against him by season's end:

- Neal trade
- Crawford hire
- Gulutzan hire

And those also happen to be the most significant moves he's made.

The frustrating part for me is that if you were to magically set all of that aside and pretend it didn't happen, he's really done quite well. Almost all of his other player personnel decisions have been strong, well-reasoned, forward-thinking moves.

I get the feeling that if we just stuck with him he'd end up rewarding us and turning into a top flight GM. I'd like to see him stay on and learn from his mistakes. I'm just afraid that won't happen and we'll be back to square one. And it won't be undeserved either.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I get the feeling that if we just stuck with him he'd end up rewarding us and turning into a top flight GM. I'd like to see him stay on and learn from his mistakes. I'm just afraid that won't happen and we'll be back to square one. And it won't be undeserved either.
I agree with this, but I also think Recchi, who I really do think is Gaglardi's number 1 choice should he ever fire GM Joe, fits that description as well.

I think smart, world-class players can turn into amazing GM's. Regardless of Joe succeeding in Dallas or another place, in 10 or 15 years I think Yzerman, Nieuwendyk, and Recchi will get the respect a guy like Holland gets today.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Not to take this too far off topic, but the danger for Joe is that he potentially has 3 strikes against him by season's end:

- Neal trade
- Crawford hire
- Gulutzan hire

And those also happen to be the most significant moves he's made.

The frustrating part for me is that if you were to magically set all of that aside and pretend it didn't happen, he's really done quite well. Almost all of his other player personnel decisions have been strong, well-reasoned, forward-thinking moves.

I would add a possible fourth strike, if you will...... "No playoffs in five years". Doesn't look too pretty on his resume.

01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I would add a possible fourth strike, if you will...... "No playoffs in five years". Doesn't look too pretty on his resume.
Especially when we had a chance during the last game of the season on one occasion. Yeah it was a coaching issue, but that **** counts against Joe too.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
It is really worrying considering how guys like grossman, niskanen and fistrics never took the next step needed. Hell Goligoski has regressed. There may be something wrong with the way the organization coaches Dmen.
Was starting to wonder this too. I don't know who it is, but someone seriously needs to go. Grossmann and Niskanen both obviously had the talent, we just couldn't find it. Same with Goose and probably a few of our defensemen coming up. It's looking more and more like a coaching problem, not a player problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwang View Post
The problem with GM Joe is he has made some good moves, but a even larger number of idiotic moves.

My biggest problem is with the Neal trade. I was not against trading Neal, but if you do you better get a top pairing d-man back. I'm rooting for goligoski but I'm not sure hes even a number 4 on a decent team. And what made it all worse was all the other GMs coming out after saying why didn't we hear Neal was available. If he just shopped Neal a bit I bet he would have received a top pairing dman (someone like bogosian)
That's really the only bad move he's made, besides coaches.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
And to complement that argument, I'd add (to piqued's list)

-Firing Tippett

When I mentioned that what irked me what the ambivalent direction this team took under JN's tutelage, it essentially stems from there. Tippett has shown with Phoenix that he can take a budget team to the playoffs, and if JN wanted to make the playoffs, that was a gigantic gaff right there. Also, it so happens that at the same time he was talking to the media about building a la Detroit and Pittsburgh. The problem was that Detroit- a perennial contender- benefited from drafting despite picking lower in the draft order thanks to an enviable scouting squad and Pittsburgh benefited from sucking badly for 3 straight seasons- during which time they won the Crosby sweepstakes. We shared nothing in common with either team because we obviously were in no shape to contend and neither was this team (allowed to?) suck badly enough to pick at the top of the draft.

Oh...then there are the Glennie and Campbell picks over _________(insert name).

Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
That's really the only bad move he's made.
Unless you mean trade-wise, I strongly disagree.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
And to complement that argument, I'd add (to piqued's list)

-Firing Tippett

When I mentioned that what irked me what the ambivalent direction this team took under JN's tutelage, it essentially stems from there. Tippett has shown with Phoenix that he can take a budget team to the playoffs, and if JN wanted to make the playoffs, that was a gigantic gaff right there. Also, it so happens that at the same time he was talking to the media about building a la Detroit and Pittsburgh. The problem was that Detroit- a perennial contender- benefited from drafting despite picking lower in the draft order thanks to an enviable scouting squad and Pittsburgh benefited from sucking badly for 3 straight seasons- during which time they won the Crosby sweepstakes. We shared nothing in common with either team because we obviously were in no shape to contend and neither was this team (allowed to?) suck badly enough to pick at the top of the draft.

Oh...then there are the Glennie and Campbell picks over _________(insert name).
Completely forgot about that.

I'm don't remember how I felt about Dave before his exit, but I remember a little bit of distaste for him. Replacing him with Mr. Hair though? Wtf.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Unless you mean trade-wise, I strongly disagree.
Check the edit. Realized I didn't clarify.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Unbelievable...The worst days of the Stars still continue.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Just amazes me that, out of all the coaches we could have picked, somehow Gulutzan was the best choice to the administration. I really think Willie would have been a better choice, and I think what he's doing in Cedar Park speaks volumes.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Willie was very much responsible for some of the problems last season, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Willie was very much responsible for some of the problems last season, lets not get ahead of ourselves.
If you're going to be completely honest though, he took over a sunk PP. It wasn't sinking .... the thing was beyond recovery.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Tippett went off the deep end with his Turco usage.

Would've been interesting to see what he could've done with Kari though.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Captain Awesome

I want whoever's job it is to deal with D-men in any capacity to have his/their head on a platter. The playing of them, the developing of them , the picking of them, hasn't exactly been stellar over the years. The Stars have an excellent eye for forward talent and goaltending talent, and they seem to be able to develop both, but it is a cruel joke how bad our defense has been, bad budget or not.

As for Joe, I think he's made some mistakes, but I think he's been excellent in so many other areas that I don't want him fired. The prospect pool looks better than it has for as long as I can remember (and I hope that extends to our new wave of d-men), he got us Lehtonen for nothing, and he seems like a sensible and patient guy. What he has been terrible at is his coaching decisions. Anyone should have known Crawford as coach is an instant mistake, maybe he was just playing it safe his first go around, but with Gulutzan I think he could safely cut his losses if someone better comes along. I'd kill to have Laviolette as our coach, and inevitably someone good is going to get fired this year because it happens every year.

Anyone who has the stones to simultaneously keep playing Morrow while scratching Larsen is not the guy I want running my hockey team. That is so absurd you'd think we weren't following the best hockey league in the world. Topping his large list of accolades includes constantly misused D pairings (I'd give him breathing room if he at least TRIED someone else as the top pairing, but he refuses), and the WORST PP IN THE LAST FIFTY YEARS. That is absolutely baffling. If this team even has a mediocre to average powerplay we're in the playoffs the last two years.

I think this team absolutely has the personnel to make the playoffs this year. It won't be pretty, but I think if properly utilized and while taking some calculated risks (cut Morrow and Robidas off the PP, put Larsen and a pylon there instead, give Goligoski the permission to run free with a stay at home D-man looking after him like Daley) we make the playoffs. I've heard people say that Benn's contract is a minus because it only lasts five years... teams have gone from last to cup winners in that length. That is plenty of time to build a winner, especially at the stage we're in right now. It just probably isn't going to be with Gulutzan and company.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

They should have hired DeBoer when Crawford was axed, Gulutzan seemed like a good hire but he makes oddball decisions with no reason to back them up.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Willie's PP in Cedar Park is effective.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
He also has players who are geared towards the roles they're playing. So basically he's selecting lines correctly, and putting players in positions where they will succeed. Not just going off of whoever has tenure.

I personally would rather see him stay here in Austin because his track record with young players is outstanding. Could it transfer to the NHL? Who knows after Gully.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It's more than effective. They had a bumpy start, but I think they've snuck into the Top 10 IIRC. Plus, they had an 11 (or more possibly) game PP goal streak going, and part of that streak was after Eakin, Smith, Dillon, and Benn had joined Dallas.

I know they were above 20% recently, but I don't know if they've maintained that number. Basically, he's got that unit buzzing as well as they possibly could be.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It's more than effective. They had a bumpy start, but I think they've snuck into the Top 10 IIRC. Plus, they had an 11 (or more possibly) game PP goal streak going, and part of that streak was after Eakin, Smith, Dillon, and Benn had joined Dallas.

I know they were above 20% recently, but I don't know if they've maintained that number. Basically, he's got that unit buzzing as well as they possibly could be.
Then, wouldn't it be better Willie's in-charge of honing the prospects' skills and we seek elsewhere for a coaching change?

Closed Thread