HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2013 Draft Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 08:21 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakawaygoal View Post
Hopefully if we end up with a top-10/top-5 pick we manage to get a center (Barkov, MacKinnon, Lindholm, etc) to play behind Backstrom.... finally fill up the 2C hole for good
MacKinnon likely will be gone by the top three so I don't see it happening unless they win the lottery. I'm hoping for it though.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
MacKinnon likely will be gone by the top three so I don't see it happening unless they win the lottery. I'm hoping for it though.
The Caps are definitely better than their current record, BUT, they are on pace for a top 3 pick...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Langway
Intangibles

January Red Line Report.

Chris Peters' top 50.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Capitlols

Give in for Drouin.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
The Caps are definitely better than their current record, BUT, they are on pace for a top 3 pick...
top 3? At this rate I think 0-48 would lock them into the lottery at the #1 slot!!

I can easily see 0-6 if we lose tonight.

If we lose badly then Sunday promises to be REAL ugly vs the Sabres.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Drouin is my top pick in this draft.

01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobob View Post
Baha that would be awful but I do like Mackinnon. Scouts say he reminds them of a Sidney Crosby type, not as good of course.

I'll take Jeff Skinner like any day.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
I don't like tanking, but the thought of having a Moosehead on Washington is just too much to resist...

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I don't like tanking, but the thought of having a Moosehead on Washington is just too much to resist...
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov
Forsberg, Ribeiro/MacKinnon, Johansson
Brouwer, MacKinnon/Ribeiro, Wolski/Laich
Wilson, Beagle, Hendricks

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. LET'S DO IT.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
HTFN

Yeah, but Barkov.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Capathetic

Is Seth Jones a lefty? We really need someone who can bring it from the left defense position.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Is Seth Jones a lefty? We really need someone who can bring it from the left defense position.
I've heard opinions about hockey IQ of Jones. Like it's not that good. Would you like to risk so much drafting 1) D 2) with questionable IQ (if it's true)?

Skillset isn't everything. See Green, Mike.

And it's too long to wait for him anyway

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Not even a question if you get a top pick and MacKinnon or Drouin is available you take them immediately.

Seth Jones is too much of a liability for this team right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Not even a question if you get a top pick and MacKinnon or Drouin is available you take them immediately.

lol what?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

Quote:
What leads you to this conclusion?

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

A) As I've said before... Barkov Lindholm and Monahan are right up there... there's no reason to think it's MacKinnon or Drouin only if we get a top pick...

B) As others have said about the Seth Jones comment... what?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
What leads you to this conclusion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
A) As I've said before... Barkov Lindholm and Monahan are right up there... there's no reason to think it's MacKinnon or Drouin only if we get a top pick...

B) As others have said about the Seth Jones comment... what?
First of all if you get Seth Jones how confident are you that he makes an impact as soon as possible? Seth Jones is a good player but I don't think he fits into this system.

We need a mid-aged defenseman to pair with Green. Not an 18 year old. McPhee likes to keep his defense Left-Right, Left-Right, Left-Right. If he's still here I don't see him taking Jones over MacKinnon.

We should take a forward and then get a guy like Ryan Kujawinski later in the draft. You can add a defenseman through a trade or FA. Get someone that can help out and make an impact RIGHT AWAY. Kujawinski reminds me bit of a young Giroux. Plus he's going to be 18 in March.

(Yes I know the music sucks)

Old
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
First of all if you get Seth Jones how confident are you that he makes an impact as soon as possible? Seth Jones is a good player but I don't think he fits into this system.

We need a mid-aged defenseman to pair with Green. Not an 18 year old. McPhee likes to keep his defense Left-Right, Left-Right, Left-Right. If he's still here I don't see him taking Jones over MacKinnon.

We should take a forward and then get a guy like Ryan Kujawinski later in the draft. You can add a defenseman through a trade or FA. Get someone that can help out and make an impact RIGHT AWAY. Kujawinski reminds me bit of a young Giroux. Plus he's going to be 18 in March.
So how does not making an immediate impact (if that's the case, which you haven't established) make him a liability?

Also, this is hockey, not football. Teams don't draft for immediate need, and especially not at the top of the draft.

Best player available.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
First of all if you get Seth Jones how confident are you that he makes an impact as soon as possible?
Why does 'as soon as possible' matter? If it means getting the best player in the end I have no problem waiting personally.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So how does not making an immediate impact (if that's the case, which you haven't established) make him a liability?

Also, this is hockey, not football. Teams don't draft for immediate need, and especially not at the top of the draft.

Best player available.
You do realize Green can't wait for a suitable partner much longer right? I assume if you draft Seth Jones you'll put Alzner/Carlson on the first line and Jones/Green on the 2nd. Then Orlov/Kundratek on the third.

When you could just fill that hole through trades or FA. Defenseman are easier to come by then quality forwards for us.

Ribeiro is not staying here forever. Backstrom/MacKinnon/Johansson would be nice for the long term future. Put MoJo where he belongs, third line center.

While MacKinnon is developing keep him as the third line center and Johansson on the wing until Forsberg/Kuznetsov jump ship. Then when they do, don't sign Ribeiro to a long term deal or ship him. Place MacKinnon on the 2nd line. Ribeiro would be 35 when this happened anyways.

Forsberg, MacKinnon, INSERT
Brouwer, Johansson, Wolski/Laich

Alzner, Carlson
INSERT, Green

Last edited by I Am Score*: 01-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 03:04 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

If you got Drouin it could also work by keeping Ribeiro or developing MoJo as a 2nd line center for the future. Ribs would be around 35 if my calculations are right.

Forsberg, Ribeiro/Johansson, Drouin (shoots left)

Old
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Millhaus

I'd have absolutely no problem drafting Jones and then sending him back to juniors for another year if they think that will be best for his long term development.

It is about getting the best player in the end not getting someone in the lineup as soon as possible. I'm not quite sure why that is so difficult for you to understand.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'd have absolutely no problem drafting Jones and then sending him back to juniors for another year if they think that will be best for his long term development.

It is about getting the best player in the end not getting someone in the lineup as soon as possible. I'm not quite sure why that is so difficult for you to understand.
We're losing Green, Ovechkin, and Backstrom by the second.

If you want to wait for Jones be my guest. Long term it won't even make that much of a difference if our forwards are ****.

You're going to pay more for forwards than a mid-aged defenseman. If you draft Jones you're attempting on plugging the holes on offense which we can't effectively do with the cap. Grab a guy like Drouin or MacKinnon and the top 6 is solid when performing at it's potential. No excuses then about talent around Ovechkin. If you have Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, MacKinnon/Drouin, and someone else on the top 6 there is virtually no excuse for that group.

Be my guest though. Hell, even Barkov is a better idea than Seth Jones at this point. If we were starting over this would be a good idea but we're not. We're not one defense piece from a Cup, we're one defense piece and many on offense. I count about 3/4.

Last edited by I Am Score*: 01-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
You do realize Green can't wait for a suitable partner much longer right? I assume if you draft Seth Jones you'll put Alzner/Carlson on the first line and Jones/Green on the 2nd. Then Orlov/Kundratek on the third.

When you could just fill that hole through trades or FA. Defenseman are easier to come by then quality forwards for us.

Ribeiro is not staying here forever. Backstrom/MacKinnon/Johansson would be nice for the long term future. Put MoJo where he belongs, third line center.

While MacKinnon is developing keep him as the third line center and Johansson on the wing until Forsberg/Kuznetsov jump ship. Then when they do, don't sign Ribeiro to a long term deal or ship him. Place MacKinnon on the 2nd line. Ribeiro would be 35 when this happened anyways.

Forsberg, MacKinnon, INSERT
Brouwer, Johansson, Wolski/Laich

Alzner, Carlson
INSERT, Green
Green already has three suitable partners. And, as I and others have said, you don't draft for immediate need. Very few players jump to the NHL in their draft year.

Also, you may want to look up the term "jump ship".

Your whole philosophy of roster building smacks heavily of EA Sports. Prospects are all able to play in the NHL right away, there is always a good player available to fill your need, signing a free agent is essentially a formality, and teams are always willing to trade their player that you want for your players that you don't want. And, in the end, the best roster wins!

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
We're losing Green, Ovechkin, and Backstrom by the second.

If you want to wait for Jones be my guest. Long term it won't even make that much of a difference if our forwards are ****.

You're going to pay more for forwards than a mid-aged defenseman. If you draft Jones you're attempting on plugging the holes on offense which we can't effectively do with the cap. Grab a guy like Drouin or MacKinnon and the top 6 is solid when performing at it's potential. No excuses then about talent around Ovechkin. If you have Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, MacKinnon/Drouin, and someone else on the top 6 there is virtually no excuse for that group.

Be my guest though. Hell, even Barkov is a better idea than Seth Jones at this point. If we were starting over this would be a good idea but we're not. We're not one defense piece from a Cup, we're one defense piece and many on offense. I count about 3/4.
This team is nowhere near a cup and adding a young Bobby Orr wouldn't change that. If you think some ridiculous effort to try to load up before Ovechkin and Backstrom become even more shells of their former selves makes sense I don't know what to tell you.

This team has holes everywhere so you take the guy you think will be the best player in the long run and how long it takes him to get there doesn't really matter.