HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
There was a lockout, you can't negotiate during it. He's not supposed to fold now that it's over. Folding would be the worst thing for this organization going forward, both for overpaying a player who hasn't earned it and for broadcasting to the rest of the league that Bergevin will crack if you go at it long enough.
Coldplay, there was plenty of time before the lockout and there has been plenty since to establish a "starting point." Kulikov, Del Zotto and Benn have been through the process and have signed contracts. It's time to hurry up and get to the take it or leave it stage. If Bergevin does, as you posted, intend to get to 4-5 per, now is the time to offer it.

As far as the danger of "broadcasting to the rest of the league that Bergevin will crack if you go at it long enough" - whether Bergevin changes his offer now or in a month, I don't see how a delay will make him look tougher in the eyes of the rest of the league. Keeping his best player off the ice for that month just makes him look foolish.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Habs shoulda kept O'BYRNE
I could see this one coming.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's hyperbole. The sun doesn't rise and set with Subban.
Some people truly believe that.

Old
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Maybe you're right, but it's not a good offer.
It's not a good offer because maybe Subban is not loved by his teammates and Bergevin doesn't want to give a lot of money to a player not loved by his teammates. We don't know all, and there is surely a good reason why Bergevin made small offer like that...

Old
EveryDay
Habs Prospect

Bergevin is just as bad as Gainey......

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Some people truly believe that.
Nobody believes that. Please find me a quote where someone says Subban carries this team.

Old
Roulin

Quote:
Until PK comes down from the 5+ year deal he's looking for, there is no point in upping the money if he won't budge off the term. But then again, I'm no GM.
Subban has already made it known through Stubbs that he would be willing to sign a shorter deal.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
HomaridII

Btw both Gagnon and Stubbs think it ends next week with Subban signing a contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Not moving since May sounds more like stupidity and stubbornness than negotiating :/ unless there's stuff we don't know.
According to RL article, MB feel like he can not lose face and cave in to PK. He still did not see enough from PK and he wanted PK to show him that PK is a Pro. RL accused MB to sit PK until PK yield to his contract offer or PK ask for a trade. If PK asked for the trade then the blood is not on his hand.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Nedved

I want pk signed, but people on here really over value pk.

he didn't make those around him better, he doesn't add any additional tangibles to the team, and he is still young in this league.

he might one day become that true number 1, where his play affects those around but he currently is not there.

pk has over valued himself because of how mtl treats him. i blame the fans for his ego.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Btw both Gagnon and Stubbs think it ends next week with Subban signing a contract.
Hopefully they're right

Old
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Coldplay, there was plenty of time before the lockout and there has been plenty since to establish a "starting point." Kulikov, Del Zotto and Benn have been through the process and have signed contracts. It's time to hurry up and get to the take it or leave it stage. If Bergevin does, as you posted, intend to get to 4-5 per, now is the time to offer it.
Kulikov and Del Zotto weren't asking for a long-term deal at big money, by all accounts, so it's no surprise those deals got done faster. As for Benn, the issue wasn't paying him, it was how long to pay him for (according to Friedman).

I do think it's time for Bergevin to up the ante, but I don't think, contrary to others, he should rush to PK's door and give in to everything he's asking for. We're not that desperate (at least, not yet).

Quote:
As far as the danger of "broadcasting to the rest of the league that Bergevin will crack if you go at it long enough" - whether Bergevin changes his offer now or in a month, I don't see how a delay will make him look tougher in the eyes of the rest of the league. Keeping his best player off the ice for that month just makes him look foolish.
It's not about the delay. Bergevin has made it clear he wants a bridge contract for PK to prove himself that he deserves the bigger contract a la Price and Pacioretty. Anything other than a bridge contract at this point would be broadcasting just that.

And we'll agree to disagree on that last point. I don't think PK is the Habs' best player or their best defenseman. Doesn't mean I don't think he could be.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post

he didn't make those around him better, he doesn't add any additional tangibles to the team, and he is still young in this league.

he might one day become that true number 1, where his play affects those around but he currently is not there.

pk has over valued himself because of how mtl treats him. i blame the fans for his ego.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBjD1bzCAAI-JbH.png:large

Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Subban has already made it known through Stubbs that he would be willing to sign a shorter deal.
Then Bergevin needs to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nobody believes that. Please find me a quote where someone says Subban carries this team.
Quote:
Keeping his best player off the ice for that month just makes him look foolish.
"Best player" implies carrying this team. wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Bergevin is just as bad as Gainey......
You guys are truly unbelievable.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post

Of course, Plekanec being a boss completely bucks the trend! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post

The chart above says otherwise...

Old
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
With the Habs, hopefully.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHS Joe C View Post
He doesn't make Plekanec better, trade him!

Old
01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Plekanec doesn't need PK...

Old
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Kulikov and Del Zotto weren't asking for a long-term deal at big money, by all accounts, so it's no surprise those deals got done faster. As for Benn, the issue wasn't paying him, it was how long to pay him for (according to Friedman)
You're conveniently omitting that the stars wanted long term while Benn wanted short term. In those circumstances it's perfectly understandable that there is a holdout. The opposite ? No. It speaks to the fact our GM has a dumb stance on bridge contracts. Which someone has yet to give me a good argument as to why it's good in Subban's case.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
It's not a good offer because maybe Subban is not loved by his teammates and Bergevin doesn't want to give a lot of money to a player not loved by his teammates. We don't know all, and there is surely a good reason why Bergevin made small offer like that...
Talent on the ice can not be denied but characters can be assassinated. PK is intense during games and during practices. That could rub his teammate the wrong way. Do we have to chase every talented players out of Montreal because of "characters" issues. Everything has two sides. When Yakupov slided across the length of the ice to celebrate his goal, some people accused him of excessive celebration while others praised him for loving the games. We have lost enough good players under the mantra "Nobody is above the team". Stop the madness.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I was going to post the 97 GF what were scored when PK was on the ice, only getting 38 points out of that, but those charts are even better.

wonder how those charts will look for Markov with a full season under his belt with those same players.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm telling you. PK signing a Gorges-esque contract will take him to free agency. Why on earth would the Habs want to hamstring themselves like that? Gorges had to grow into his own before signing his long-term deal, too.

Probably is stuff we don't know, but, again, you can't negotiate during the lockout and the "since May" rhetoric doesn't really work.

Didn't say it was, but I can understand it. Bergevin is not sold on PK deserving the big money over big term, and, frankly, I don't know why anyone would be safe for being madly in love with the guy. This entire process has been clouded with emotion.

PK should watch and learn what an elite defenseman looks like, his name is Andrei Markov. I don't doubt his potential, but doesn't mean we should pay for it just yet. Again, that's just my opinion.
Exactly. PK is way too undisciplined and makes a few too many defensive gaffes to be paid like one of the top Ds in the game. Bergevin just doesn't have much wiggle room to pay him for his high potential right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You're conveniently omitting that the stars wanted long term while Benn wanted short term.
Did you forget to read the rest of my post?

Quote:
As for Benn, the issue wasn't paying him, it was how long to pay him for (according to Friedman).
Not sure how I conveniently ommitted anything. The opposite is true for PK.

Quote:
In those circumstances it's perfectly understandable that there is a holdout. The opposite ? No. It speaks to the fact our GM has a dumb stance on bridge contracts. Which someone has yet to give me a good argument as to why it's good in Subban's case.
How is that understandable? In both cases there is a discrepancy for term, but there is also a discrepancy for $$$ in PK's case.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Talent on the ice can not be denied but characters can be assassinated. PK is intense during games and during practices. That could rub his teammate the wrong way. Do we have to chase every talented players out of Montreal because of "characters" issues. Everything has two sides. When Yakupov slided across the length of the ice to celebrate his goal, some people accused him of excessive celebration while others praised him for loving the games. We have lost enough good players under the mantra "Nobody is above the team". Stop the madness.
That should definitely be the next thread title.

Mods, please make it happen!

Old
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Exactly. PK is way too undisciplined and makes a few too many defensive gaffes to be paid like one of the top Ds in the game. Bergevin just doesn't have much wiggle room to pay him for his high potential right now.
So he signed Prust for 2.5M and expect PK to be paid the same as Prust? MB will ask PK to be paid much lower and expect PK to accept his offer otherwise everyone here will label PK as "above the team"?

Closed Thread