HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee Injury - Experiences

Old
01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Mattb124

vCash: 500
Knee Injury - Experiences

I tweeked my knee in practice this week, and wanted to get some input from others who may have suffered a similar injury. The injury resulted from getting kneed on the outside of my knee, which caused my knee to buckle inward a bit. It hurt like heck for a minute (7 on a 10 scale?) and I briefly couldn't put weight on it, but was able to limp around on it after minute or so. The good news is the pain was localized toward the outside of the knee and not on the inside which would imply MCL damage. I limped around for a couple of days and the pain is gone, but I still have some discomfort and my knee feels "loose". I have a game tomorrow night and am trying to determine if I might make it worse if I play.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
TieClark

Get it checked by a doctor.... ask if you can play on it. Best thing to do really

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
ss53mech

Not to hijack this one but I have a kind of related question. I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago. Got it checked out: Xrays, Oxy, Crutches and the like. Was told to pretty much not walk for a whole week, walk minimal for 2 weeks after. And not resume and sports/training for at least a month.

With as much as the ankle is loaded whilst skating I was wondering if I need to wait even longer. I am itching pretty bad to get back on skates but I was wondering if anyone here had any particular experience with this injury and trying to skate again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Gary.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Get it checked by a doctor.... ask if you can play on it. Best thing to do really
yep, if it's that big a concern, what he said.......

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
WeakTalocrural

Quick story which somewhat relates to a similar knee injury. Cliff notes - As the others have said, get it checked out by a Orthopedic Doctor if you are concerned about it. Especially if it there is swelling or bruising around your knee.

I was in my early 20's I blew my knee out snowboarding. When it happened, the pain was unbearable. But after about 10 min I was able to ride the rest of the day. Flash forward almost a year later, and my knee would buckle inward from the easiest task. Finally went to a Ortho doctor who did a quick check by holding my leg below and above my knee. He was able to shift it side to side pretty easy. After an MRI turned out that my ACL was completely torn. I have had 2 surgery's on it since, being I blew it out again dirtbiking.

Anyway, guess what I am trying to say is right now it may feel alright. But there is always a chance that something more serious may have occurred. If you could swing it, get it checked out.

WeakTalocrural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

I had something like this happen last May. An opposing player fell into the outside of my knee, face first. I ended up with a severe strain of the Mcl, with micro tears. After physical therapy my knee still isn't 100%. I wear a hinged brace whenever I play or run.

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
esidebill

I tore my lateral meniscus completely and needed surgery. I had a bunch of incidences before the big tear where I'd feel a pop, with decreased range of motion. Then it'd go back to normal. Once it's torn completely, it doesn't go back. Took a good 6-8 months til I could do any kind of activities semi-confidently.

Surgery went extremely well and I've never had a problem since. 100% flexibility to my knowledge.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
TUCKER 06

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I recently suffered a pretty bad shoulder injury myself and have been out of the line-up for a week, damn-near broke my collar bone and almost dislocated the shoulder. Ended up with a TON of shoulder strain and lots of pain.

It's really hard to miss games and even harder to sit yourself when you feel like you are coming back. I have to say though, don't play on it until you are confident that it is 100%.

You'll regret going back any earlier, as you will be dealing with annoying pain every so often and it will prolong the healing process and increase the risk of you injuring it again. Just listen to your body, if in the back of your head you are saying "I probably shouldn't be playing, but..." then you shouldn't be playing.

Get it checked out and take the appropriate time off. Trust me. I'm dying because I missed two games this weekend, but the world continues to turn and I'm hoping I'll be back in the line-up for Saturday night.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
ausername1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
I tweeked my knee in practice this week, and wanted to get some input from others who may have suffered a similar injury. The injury resulted from getting kneed on the outside of my knee, which caused my knee to buckle inward a bit. It hurt like heck for a minute (7 on a 10 scale?) and I briefly couldn't put weight on it, but was able to limp around on it after minute or so. The good news is the pain was localized toward the outside of the knee and not on the inside which would imply MCL damage. I limped around for a couple of days and the pain is gone, but I still have some discomfort and my knee feels "loose". I have a game tomorrow night and am trying to determine if I might make it worse if I play.
First, like everyone else had said: see a doctor.

I had a similar injury over this past summer. It wasn't from hockey but it sounds like you're talking about the same thing that happened to me. I was fighting with one of my friends (not an actual fight, you know, just goofing around) and he swept my leg. My foot somehow stayed planted but my knee bent inward towards the other side of my body; like I said, my foot stayed planted so it wasn't the sweep that brought me down, it was the pain. My knee hurt so much I thought I was going to vomit or black out...then a minute or so later I was able to get up and hobble around. For a couple days after that it kept bothering me, I couldn't (or at least didn't trust) put all my weight on it and it had that 'loose' feeling as you said. If I recall correctly, the pain was also on the outside. The doctor said worst case scenario it was a torn meniscus but even that was unlikely. I had to wrap it up to keep my knee stable and was on crutches for a few days after that, if it stayed like that for a week or so or got worse I was supposed to go back to the doctor but it didn't. I'd say within two weeks after that I was pretty close to 100%.
In short, I'd say stay away from the game (especially if it's still swollen/tender) unless your doctor says otherwise, but don't worry too much about not being able to play for a while, if it really is like mine you should heal up pretty quickly if you just rest as bit.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

My guess is that you are probably ok, but it never hurts to get it checked out. I had a similar incident a couple years ago where I sprained my MCL severely. No surgey was needed but after it happened I could not walk on it and my knee was huge. I would say it swelled up to about the size of a grapefruit. I only needed crutches for a week or so, but there was no way I could have even considered any kind physical activity and I needed a few months of physical therapy.

So my guess is you are going to be ok, but again if you have the ability to get it checked out you might want to just to be safe.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
As soon as I read your knee feels "loose", that is a huge red flag to me. Ten years ago I had something similar happen, and that is the exact sensation I felt in the locker room after that same burst of pain, just like you described. There is no substitute for a doctor in this case - at the time I asked around too, and everyone just said "you're probably fine" because I could walk.

I was not fine, however. I found out afterwards that I had actually partially torn my ACL, but kept playing on it because I was "probably fine". Due to my abusing the unknown injury, it progressed for a few weeks until during one game, in a completely innocent moment where I was nowhere near the puck or anyone else, I simply turned and the last thread of the ligament snapped. That pain was excruciating enough that I passed out on the ice (and as I said, surrounded by absolutely no one - it must have been a strange sight).

From then on I no longer had a partial tear, but a full tear of my ACL. A partial tear CAN HEAL if caught in time and treated, but a fully torn ligament will never heal.

This meant that I now required hard-to-get surgery, and quite a few months of expensive rehab. Fully maintaining my muscle strength during the process was extremely difficult and in the end I did not.

I was lucky enough to get immediate surgery but it was still the end of my amateur hockey career. If I can give you one piece of advice, it would be to take this potential injury VERY seriously, and stay off the ice until you have had a CT scan confirm that there is no ligament damage.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
To add one more thing re: healing ligaments, think of your ligaments as an elastic band. If the elastic is whole, it is solid and tensile and a little flexible. If you put a little tear in that elastic band, then further stretching of it will cause the tear to progress, but it CAN heal because the two sides are still connected. If the tear crosses the entire elastic band, then the two sides snap apart and, unlike muscles, will not grow together again.

That, in essence, is what happens to a torn ligament, and the only cure is full ligament replacement. To do this to me, that meant removing a section of my hamstring ligament to replace my torn ACL ligament, and screwing it into place, and then allowing both ligaments to heal.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Did you end up playing?
How is the progress?

My answer would have been - rest. If its serious enough to ask on the forum, its serious enough to take a few nights off. Also, how old are you?
I had a similar issue in HS. I had to rest for almost a month, and came back with limited playing time the first week or so. I've always had 'bothersome' knees (I'd say bad, but no significant injuries). When mine feels loose, I do rest as much as possible. I also wrap a knee if it's feeling that way. Only time I experience issues now is from overuse or running on pavement.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote