HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #5 - Canucks @ Sharks - "BARF!"

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Games in the Shark Tank are always tough. Discipline is going to be a huge key against SJ. Niemi is the weak point, though - put lots of pucks on him.

I think Bieksa has a big game. He always comes to play against San Jose.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Bieksa#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm going to keep the expectations lower and just hope for another solid defensive (and face-off) game from JS. Took Hodgson 10 games to get 3 points last season and I'm not going to expect any more than that from Schroeder.

Same goes for Kassian, these 3 goals are nice but I'm going to keep my expectations grounded. He will go through spells of inconsistency.

This will be a tough game. Sharks are really off to a good start and their stars are having a bit of a comeback season after the last two years (Thornton, Marleau).
Exactly people need to keep their expectations realistic or they'll end up severely disappointed or upset.

Vancouver fans turn so fast on their players with some pretty unrealistic expectations

Just want another sound defensive game from Schroeder and ill be happy. I don't think his first 2 games could have been any better IMO. I thinks he's done many things AV likes in a player so he just needs to keep that up. I already feel like he's got more trust in Schroeder defensively than he's ever given hodgson.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
m9

River City Ransom was such an underrated game. One of my all time favs.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
bottomlesspop

LOVE RCR!
Alex and Ryan oh my god.

I love that the boys are getting better with each game, let's keep it rollin!

Old
01-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Lemurion

vCash: 250
Tough team, got to play hard and smart.

I think Edler's beginning to adjust better to the right side and I hope that continues and advances.

Not going to predict, but I hope they can pull off a win.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
I know it's still early, but I think Garrison would be better on the 2nd PP unit.

Garrison has never really been able to use his slapshot because Edler is mostly looking to take a shot himself, and the Sedins like to make fancy plays down by the net.

The 2nd PP unit isn't really special. Add Garrison's rocket to it and now it's a threat.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Wizeman*

I think the opposing forwards are taking Garrisons shot away and leaving the down low play open.

Canucks are trying to establish the down low option so 10 games from now the opposing teams box will start to collapse leaving edler and garrison wide open to bomb away.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I know it's still early, but I think Garrison would be better on the 2nd PP unit.

Garrison has never really been able to use his slapshot because Edler is mostly looking to take a shot himself, and the Sedins like to make fancy plays down by the net.

The 2nd PP unit isn't really special. Add Garrison's rocket to it and now it's a threat.
I agree. Over our first few games I have been increasingly frustrated with Edler on the PP. Although he's played well, it almost seems like he is using Garrison as a decoy to give himself more opportunities at goal. We have to use Garrison as our Salo of we want him to be productive, and at the moment the Sedins+Edler seem reluctant to feed him the puck. Hopefully this changes with time.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I agree. Over our first few games I have been increasingly frustrated with Edler on the PP. Although he's played well, it almost seems like he is using Garrison as a decoy to give himself more opportunities at goal. We have to use Garrison as our Salo of we want him to be productive, and at the moment the Sedins+Edler seem reluctant to feed him the puck. Hopefully this changes with time.
I think that's exactly right, and it's working very well. The Canucks have the downlow play, and either of the points as threats. Teams can probably cover two pretty well, but they have to cheat off the third to do that.

Certainly not a perfect powerplay, and Garrison doesn't lead a powerplay like Ehrhoff could, but I think that Garrison looks better than any option we had last year. Also, Kesler isn't even in and the powerplay is having that success.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

It makes sense. Maybe play 4 forwards with Edler on the 1st PP unit?

Then have Hamhuis-Garrison on the 2nd unit.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
No pressure but this is a big game for Burr and Schroeder, our 2nd and 3rd line centers. If they can shutdown the hot Sharks, then you have to wonder if the team might be set down the middle for the rest of the season and going into the playoffs: Henrik, Kes, Burr, Schroeder.

Burr has done well with the Sedins these few years but if he can transition to being a very good 3rd line center, that would be huge for this team, and a feather in his cap - funny how AV's brilliant move always tied to Burr.

Early days but still..a lot to be excited about.

Old
AmazingNuck

I like Garrison on the first unit because the defense pairings don't get jumbled up after a long powerplay shift. Suppose Edler and Bieksa play a 2 minute shift for the entire powerplay but don't score. Then, we'll only have Ballard-Tanev as a fresh pairing for the next shift. After that, the other two pairings will have one player who's a little more gassed. For the next few shifts, until Edler/Bieksa regain their breaths, the team is at a major disadvantage.

The Canucks will score about 1/4-1/5 of their powerplays, but they have long Sedin shifts maybe 2/5 times every game. Not great for the even strength game.

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I think that's exactly right, and it's working very well. The Canucks have the downlow play, and either of the points as threats. Teams can probably cover two pretty well, but they have to cheat off the third to do that.

Certainly not a perfect powerplay, and Garrison doesn't lead a powerplay like Ehrhoff could, but I think that Garrison looks better than any option we had last year. Also, Kesler isn't even in and the powerplay is having that success.
I would love to move Kesler back to the 2nd PP unit once he comes back (and move Garrison there as well). Kassian has looked good with the Sedins so far.
It would give us two pretty darn good PP units.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Edler - Bieksa/Hamhuis?

Booth - Kesler - Raymond/Schroeder
Garrison - Raymond/Schroeder?

Once the PP is done, send out Burrows/Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen.

Last edited by Nuckles: 01-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Such a treat to play the Sharks right now, get to see two epic GDT!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Glorious GDT.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
I would love to move Kesler back to the 2nd PP unit once he comes back (and move Garrison there as well). Kassian has looked good with the Sedins so far.
It would give us two pretty darn good PP units.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Edler - Bieksa/Hamhuis?

Booth - Kesler - Raymond/Schroeder
Garrison - Raymond/Schroeder?

Once the PP is done, send out Burrows/Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen.
I've been saying this for a while, but I don't really like Booth on the PP, I think Burrows is a better option, or a red-hot Raymond if he continues his success. I do agree with moving Kesler to the 2nd unit though, but I think keep Garrison on the first because the Sedins will give him way more opportunities than a Kesler-based unit for his big slapper (which I hope to see in the near future).

To just expand on what you have already done...

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Edler Garrison

Raymond/Burrows Kesler Raymond/Schroeder
Bieksa Hamhuis

maybe move Ballard onto the second unit if he continues his play, but that is just a thought

One thing that I've noticed, is that either Garrison is being told to roam around and not utilize his shot, he doesn't have faith in his shot, or (and this is the one I think) is that Edler is not setting him up well enough, could be a rust thing but I've seen Edler only give passes to Garrison that can't be one-timered. If this is the case and it can't be solved easily, then Hamhuis with Edler and Bieksa with Garrison could be a good idea.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
blendini

A win will depend on the play of the D. Hamhuis hasn't had a good game yet and Garrison/Edler are still adjusting. If this game was in a week from now, I would be confident of a win. But, who knows. I thought the Ducks were going to win.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
campbell_soup

From what I've seen, Edler plays almost strictly on the right side on the PP too so unless he and Garrison switch sides, Garrison won't be able to one time anything.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
thegutter

vCash: 271
key is gonna be shutting down marleau, guy is on fire right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutter View Post
key is gonna be shutting down marleau, guy is on fire right now.
He's on pace for 96 goals this season.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I'm actually hoping the Sharks light up the Avs. It will make them cocky and make stupid mistakes when they play us.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm actually hoping the Sharks light up the Avs. It will make them cocky and make stupid mistakes when they play us.
2-0 after the 1st with Marleau getting both... 8g in 4 games with 2 periods to go. Crazy!

Old
01-26-2013, 03:59 PM
KeslerKrony
Nucks STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
They are lighting it up, but they key to their offense is their relentless forecheck. Avs already look tired. This game is so fun to watch, unlike our Canucks games. That's the difference between having a team committed to offense on the top two lines rather than our commitment to two-way play throughout the roster.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
aandbreatheme

They have to lose somewhere down the road... hopefully it's Sunday.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
KeslerKrony
Nucks STH

Look at that 1st PP: Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Boyle

Closed Thread