HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ovechkin

Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Just my comment on the contract. Alex go paid the 9.5M for 2 reasons,

(1) to be a 50+ goal scorer. he's not doing that, he's not putting up assists to compensate he is clearly not as explosive as he was, however factors like system and players have a major impact on stats. Alex is still great, he just may not be as great as he was (i.e. a 90 point player not a 100+ point player.
(2) Alex is a rockstar, he puts ***** in the seats. This is an even bigger factor in the "ridiculous" contract. A team like mine (Blue Jackets) would give up alot to grab a guy like OV for this alone. A player like OV is the type of franchise player that brings in fans, UFAs, and National attention.

These two factors make the price for OV rediculous. Your probably looking at a Lindros type return to get him out of Washington at this point.
LOL you will never see a Lindros type trade again. If you do think so, then you weren't around to understand what type of magnitude that deal was.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:32 PM
silentprotector

something around kessel +

silentprotector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Garbage Goal

How does Ovechkin put fans in the stands? I sincerely doubt anyone goes to a game nowadays just to see Ovechkin, which is what you are all insinuating if you say things like "he's a rock star" and "he sells tickets". Winning puts fans in the stands. The better a player is the more likely you are to win. Ovechkin doesn't put any more fans in the stands then any other 35 to 40 goal and 60 to 70 point forward. That's worse then saying Jeff Carter was the reason Philly sold tickets in his 40+ goal prime.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
I'm of the mind that Ovi is quickly approaching negative value. That contract is way too big and too long for such poor production. Add that to the lack of "intangibles" and real leadership, I just don't think he's going to fetch much.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
I'm of the mind that Ovi is quickly approaching negative value. That contract is way too big and too long for such poor production. Add that to the lack of "intangibles" and real leadership, I just don't think he's going to fetch much.
I completely agree.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I think this is a good barometer for an Ovie trade, with increased value based on what he does for a market. His play has kind of followed the path of Nash the past few years - excellent individual ability but doesn't seem to produce accordingly. Plus the cap hit vs production is ugly. Would be worthwhile for a team struggling to get fans in the building though. Maybe PHX would gamble the additional salary could turn into sell outs?

Hanzal, Yandle, Sameulsson, 1st?
I'm an Ovechkin fan, but Phoenix does not touch this offer. Hanzal is their #1 center and they are not going to trade him along with a top pairing defenseman, arguably their top prospect and a 1st. Coyotes want to improve at center. Trading Hanzal defies that.

Coyotes had 97 pts last year and WINNING above all else will put fans in the seats. Having Ovi and not competing will do nothing to put fans in the seats.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:20 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Luongo, Kesler and a 1st would be the most he canucks could give up imo and worth he injury concerns with Kesler I doubt Washington does it

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
LOL you will never see a Lindros type trade again. If you do think so, then you weren't around to understand what type of magnitude that deal was.
Well, Self admittedly I wasn't around for the Lindros trade, and the statement may have been hyperbole. What I was trying to say was that the Caps would likely ask for something astronomical to ship out OV, because of the value on the ice and his value as a draw.

Also to those who say that OV isn't a draw, Washington was not Philly, or "insert Canadian market here". Winning will draw a fans, but stars will draw people to the arena regardless. (I turned a few friends on to hockey in the early days of Toews/Kane)

Last edited by alphafox: 01-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Luongo, Kesler and a 1st would be the most he canucks could give up imo and worth he injury concerns with Kesler I doubt Washington does it
We can't give up a center for AO, other things sure, but not a center

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
We can't give up a center for AO, other things sure, but not a center
I agree, but in a vacuum I see that as fair value, we only have one winger worth a pretty penny and unfortunately (or fortunately depends how you look at it) he has a twin brother on his team.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I can't see any team forking up what would be needed to get this guy with the drastic plummeting in his numbers in the last 2 seasons. That drop is ABSOLUTELY FRIGHTENING to me, if I'm a Caps fan and no matter what you say about systems, injuries, etc, there is NOTHING that can explain that type of drop in production, except for him being either...

1. Out of shape.
2. Not movitated.

Or...

3. Teams have figured him out.

Now, you've gotta couple that with the loss of a pretty good (albeit sometimes lazy and VERY inconsistent)talent in Semin and a new coach and system being implemented and you've got even more potential problems to deal with.

Maybe you can attribute it to the southeast getting better over these past 3 or so years. Florida isn't a complete joke anymore, Atlanta/Winnipeg seems better off without Kovalchuk and Tampa Bay had an ECF run 11.

The only person who knows what exactly is wrong with Alexander Ovechkin is Alexander Ovechkin himself. With that being said, I'm not giving up tons of assets to get him.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Lebowski

I love how people are going on and on about OV's perceived crazy value but the truth is, if he has a comparable season to last year (or even worse), why would Ovechkin possibly be worth so much? He's the definition of the albatross contract, except nobody cared because he was worth it back then. Well, not anymore.

I get the idea that you have to pay more because of his past accomplishments that aren't too far away, but if he regresses for three straight years, I think Caps fans should start to worry.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Just for fun, don't think it's gonna ever happen:
Ovi to Anaheim for Perry (expiring contract), Sbisa and a first.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
apice3*

If Ovechkin ever hits the trade block, the Capitals will get robbed. There is no way to trade a star player for fair value. Look at the few top 10 players in the league traded in their prime and you'll see highway robbery. He only gets dealt if the situation there gets ugly (uglier) and at that point, all 29 other teams have trade leverage.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I like that deal from a neutral standpoint. Caps need to get rid of OV like Bruins got rid of big Joe.

Big contract for big contract, Kesler & late first is nothing to scoff at. Caps get a long term upgrade in goal.

Well done.

Last edited by Frank Drebin: 01-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Kershaw

Rick Nash
2nd Round Pick

Alex Ovechkin

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Rick Nash
2nd Round Pick

Alex Ovechkin
Rangers need to add significantly, I think.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

albatross contract
bad shape
lost speed and physicality
goal production nearly halved
invisible on the daily
getting older
defensive disaster

yeah, sorry, he was "the great 8" but not anymore

a good prospect and two 1st round picks and that should seal the deal

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

I am not saying that either team would do it.

But I wonder if the Caps would trade Ovi for Yak. Yakupov is much more cap friendly. At this point he would fill more seats than Ovi would.

Also him and Kuznetsov in the future would be scary.

I very much doubt that EDM would do it because of the cap. But it would give them a dynamic physical forward in their top 6 that they haven't had in years.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I am not saying that either team would do it.

[1]But I wonder if the Caps would trade Ovi for Yak. Yakupov is much more cap friendly. [2]At this point he would fill more seats than Ovi would.

Also him and Kuznetsov in the future would be scary.

I very much doubt that EDM would do it because of the cap. But it would give them a dynamic physical forward in their top 6 that they haven't had in years.
1. No.
2. No.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Jtown

i think ovi would void any trade to edmonton. He has a nmc right?

Ovi is not the player he once was.. i wonder if he gets amnestied?

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:55 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
albatross contract
bad shape
lost speed and physicality
goal production nearly halved
invisible on the daily
getting older
defensive disaster

yeah, sorry, he was "the great 8" but not anymore

a good prospect and two 1st round picks and that should seal the deal
Would you trade 35+ goal scorer for that return?Unless it's top-5 territory (see: Kessel trade), that's not even good to start.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Baby Punisher

Ovi is a player on the decline with an attitude. Rangers give up Brion, Boyle, Sauer & a 3rd rounder

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:57 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Ovi is a player on the decline with an attitude. Rangers give up Brion, Boyle, Sauer & a 3rd rounder
We take them and keep Ovi

Old
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
1. No.
2. No.
At least with most veteran players, they can take depth roles over time. Ovi can't and will not do that. He does not have the value that he used to have and it is showing in every game. He used to be a game changing force, now he is wallpaper.

Yakupov will be lighting up the highlight reels for years to come. He is already talked about with only 3 games under his belt.

Keep him and his massive contract lol.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote