HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

FC Releases January Ranking for 2013 NHL Draft

Old
01-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
FC Releases January Ranking for 2013 NHL Draft

It's about that time of the month again where we release our ranking for the 2013 NHL Draft.

And for the first time, Nathan MacKinnon doesn't find himself at #1. Quite a bit of movement outside the top-5, too.

Quote:
Rank / Pos. / Name / Team / League / Ht / Wt /

1). D Seth Jones, Portland, WHL, 6-4, 205
2). RW/C Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax, QMJHL, 6-0, 180
3). C Aleksander Barkov, Tappara, SM-liiga, 6-2, 205
4). C/LW Jonathan Drouin, Halifax, QMJHL, 5-11, 175
5). C Elias Lindholm, Brynas, Elitserien, 6-0, 185
Full Top-30 Here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:57 AM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Shinkaruk 10th+no Hartman struck me as a bit odd, but good list for the most part. Glad to see Wennberg get the recognition he deserves.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Curtis lazar above klimchuck is really weird to me. Lazar besides being so overrated before the year started and proving nothing worries me

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Curtis lazar above klimchuck is really weird to me. Lazar besides being so overrated before the year started and proving nothing worries me
Helps when you're on the #1 team in the league. It shouldn't, but it does.

Personally, i'm glad to see Connor Hurley staying in the 20-25 range, considering he's the youngest in the draft!! Scouts were saying he needed to bulk up (was around 160lbs) and now he's up to around 180lbs.. I guess he listened

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Xokkeu

Adam Erne at 25 is definitely different.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Anyone have any info on Connor Hurley? Thats a new name for me.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Anyone have any data on Connor Hurley? Thats a new name for me.
He's been in FC's top-30 since September.

He's the youngest player in this years draft class (9/15/95) and is playing for Edina High School. He committed to Notre Dame back in December. He's a crafty two-way centre, quick skating, good vision, and a fantastic work ethic. He has great hockey IQ and a nice quick shot. Scouts had been saying he should work on bulking up (was around 165 last year) and he took the advice, working his way up to around 180.

Statistically, he has 15 points (8g 7a) in 6 games with Edina this season. While playing 2 games for Muskegon, alongside his two brothers, in the USHL he had 3 assists.

Personally, I think he'll be this years big riser... Kid is phenomenal, he's just "looked down on" because of his age.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Kimahri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post

He's the youngest player in this years draft class (9/15/95) and is playing for Edina High School. He committed to Notre Dame back in December. He's a crafty two-way centre, quick skating, good vision, and a fantastic work ethic. He has great hockey IQ and a nice quick shot. Scouts had been saying he should work on bulking up (was around 165 last year) and he took the advice, working his way up to around 180.

Statistically, he has 15 points (8g 7a) in 6 games with Edina this season. While playing 2 games for Muskegon, alongside his two brothers, in the USHL he had 3 assists.

Personally, I think he'll be this years big riser... Kid is phenomenal, he's just "looked down on" because of his age.
Thanks. Doing a quick search pretty much only brings up statistics and that he committed to Notre Dame.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Hynh

Do the majority of lists have Jones at #1 now? Is he rising or is MacKinnon falling?

Quote:
committed to Notre Dame.
Is that a big program? Don't know much about the NCAA.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Kimahri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
I'd say so, yes. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Notre Dame as far as player development goes. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about it will chime in.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Do the majority of lists have Jones at #1 now? Is he rising or is MacKinnon falling?

From what i've seen, most January lists have Jones at #1. I wouldn't say he's rising or MacKinnon is falling... they've been basically 1a/1b the entire time, but with USA's success at WJC and Jones' play there, it more than likely switched their spots. In the end it'll come down to who's picking 1st though.

Hurley said in an interview that the choice of Notre Dame was based more on their academics, as it was very important to his family. But as for sports... Notre Dame is more of a football school than anything else. Their hockey team is good, but they're certainly no Michigan/Cornell/Minnesota. They've been getting better over the past 10 years, winning their conference twice and making the NCAA Final Four twice.

St. Louis' Ian Cole (first round, 19th overall in 2007) played at Notre Dame for a few years after his time with the US NTDP.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
I'd say so, yes. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Notre Dame as far as player development goes. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about it will chime in.
The current ND team is stacked with drafted guys and they have some good prospects coming in. They were doing great this season but have lost a couple recently. They've have built a really good program- Anders Lee, Mario Lucia, Stephen Johns, Robbie Russo, Wuthrich, Di Pauli, Tynan... lots of NHL prospects there.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
And exactly how many viewings (let alone LIVE) of Mr. Lazar do you have under your belt out there in Richmond Hill?

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Yeah Notre Dame is one of the bigger college programs right now. They are maybe top 5 right now in terms of talent, definitely top 10.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
joe89

Since most players' sizes are updated, might aswell throw Wennberg's out there aswell. He's 6'1" 183 lbs.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
I will bet you a year's avatar that Lazar gets picked ahead of Klimchuk.

You in?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:53 AM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Quote:
Anyone have any info on Connor Hurley? Thats a new name for me.
This years Mark Jankowski

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:25 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post

^^^^^

From what I've heard, he's a great interview with NHL types- shows great character and leadership qualities. "Gets it" in terms of how much work he has to put in to make it at higher levels.

His coaches (Edina, Muskegon, and USNTDP) have all raved about him on and off the ice.

He'll finish out the year in Muskegon once his MNHS season ends.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Fantomas

I'm baffled by the conservative ranking of Zykov by most services. He has been 2 PPG over the past month or so.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
And exactly how many viewings (let alone LIVE) of Mr. Lazar do you have under your belt out there in Richmond Hill?
It's just not worth the discussion anymore.

Stats in junior at the 'be all-end all' for most people, and when you look at his stats in context (20 goals as a two way pivot - 4 or 5 goals off his team lead in a primarily checking role) the picture is clearer what kind of impact he has.

For me I look for tools. Curtis has a lot. I know NHL scouts see this too. Could care less about these rankings, I'd love for my team to have a shot at him late 1st, but I don't see it.

PS. I'd take a goal over a 2nd assist any day.

Done 'pumping his tires' for now. People will figure it all out sooner or later.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
For those asking, a feature we did on Hurley a few days before he committed.

Quote:
Since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, 195 high school players have been chosen from various academic institutions in North America.

Connor Hurley is putting the exclamation mark on 196.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/high-...h-draft-hopes/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
It's just not worth the discussion anymore.

Stats in junior at the 'be all-end all' for most people, and when you look at his stats in context (20 goals as a two way pivot - 4 or 5 goals off his team lead in a primarily checking role) the picture is clearer what kind of impact he has.

For me I look for tools. Curtis has a lot. I know NHL scouts see this too. Could care less about these rankings, I'd love for my team to have a shot at him late 1st, but I don't see it.

PS. I'd take a goal over a 2nd assist any day.

Done 'pumping his tires' for now. People will figure it all out sooner or later.
To play devil's advocate: I understand some of the worries about his offense. His style of play isn't one that really equates to points.

However, outside finishing goals, his play is excellent with great energy, forechecking ability, and potential wreck havok on opposing play systems. Love that jump he has in his game.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
To play devil's advocate: I understand some of the worries about his offense. His style of play isn't one that really equates to points.

However, outside finishing goals, his play is excellent with great energy, forechecking ability, and potential wreck havok on opposing play systems. Love that jump he has in his game.
Wondering if I'm misinterpreting the first sentence of your 2nd paragraph. Because he's an excellent finisher.

He's just not racking up assists.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Wondering if I'm misinterpreting the first sentence of your 2nd paragraph. Because he's an excellent finisher.

He's just not racking up assists.
I perhaps put it poorly. Admittedly, this is from limited viewing.

I think he is an excellent forechecker, love his energy, quick skating, and can capitalize on those turnovers with a very good release. Great in pressuring opponents and forcing them to make mistakes.

Problem that I understand some might have on him is that he isn't one to carry a team's offense. I didn't see an ability to create room for himself, which raises questions of his ultimate offensive upside. Because of limited viewing, my stance is not as concrete as it could, but I respect it if someone has those concerns.

But the fact is, even if his offense is in question, he can be a significant impact off the scoresheet and he brings everything you want in a player: quickness, energy, and ability to pressure.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:

Quote:
I perhaps put it poorly. Admittedly, this is from limited viewing.

I think he is an excellent forechecker, love his energy, quick skating, and can capitalize on those turnovers with a very good release. Great in pressuring opponents and forcing them to make mistakes.

Problem that I understand some might have on him is that he isn't one to carry a team's offense. I didn't see an ability to create room for himself, which raises questions of his ultimate offensive upside. Because of limited viewing, my stance is not as concrete as it could, but I respect it if someone has those concerns.

But the fact is, even if his offense is in question, he can be a significant impact off the scoresheet and he brings everything you want in a player: quickness, energy, and ability to pressure.
Care to elaborate on the bolded?

Seems like a lot of vague mumbo jumbo.

Btw he is currently tied for second in goals on the Oil Kings, a team with a lot of pretty good offensive players, all of whom are older than Lazar.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote