HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

continue here

Old
01-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Is it me or Washington or LAK are going to draft MacKinnon, Drouin or Jones?! so not fair

Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Is it me or Washington or LAK are going to draft MacKinnon, Drouin or Jones?! so not fair
It's just you... There's not even a week of hockey played yet...

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
If you think the first 3 games are significant then you might also think the Habs are a legitimate contender.

There's just no way those teams do that badly.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If you think the first 3 games are significant then you might also think the Habs are a legitimate contender.

The Kings, yes. Textbook SC hangover.

Capitals? I'm not so sure. That team has some serious problems.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:24 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The Kings, yes. Textbook SC hangover.

Capitals? I'm not so sure. That team has some serious problems.
Look, I can believe that Ovechkin is in serious decline, but what about Nicklas Backstrom, when did he become a bum? He's a top-15 center isn't he?

They have Green, Carlson, Alzner, Hammer-lick on the back-end, that's not elite, but that't not crap either.

I do think that replacing Semin with Ribeiro was a bonehead move.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Look, I can believe that Ovechkin is in serious decline, but what about Nicklas Backstrom, when did he become a bum? He's a top-15 center isn't he?

They have Green, Carlson, Alzner, Hammer-lick on the back-end, that's not elite, but that't not crap either.

I do think that replacing Semin with Ribeiro was a bonehead move.
Hey, I don't seriously think they are favourites for Jones, but I think this team is in serious trouble. Ovechkin and Green look washed up at 27, and that team has been far too reliant on Ovie over the years. I think a divorce is coming and it's going to be a painful one.

Backstrom will be fine but he can't carry rapidly declining wingers. Carlson and Alzner I'm not convinced are game changers, they still have developing to do and neither of them can replicate Green's offense. Hamrlik can still play but he's not even as good as he was for the Habs two years ago, let alone good enough to carry Green's horrible defense or produce offensively to any significant degree.

Adam Oates is in over his head and can't make up for their disintegrating core or lack of heart. The team has serious holes and doesn't have the coaching, goaltending or leadership to make up for it. Hopefully there's enough talent left to keep them from the lotto, but they look like a team on the verge of crisis to me.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:14 AM
NotProkofievian

Just thought I'd post this video of Wennberg. If we don't implode and draft midround, I think he'd be a nice addition. Very slick player. Great on the cycle.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

Just thought I'd post this video of Wennberg. If we don't implode and draft midround, I think he'd be a nice addition. Very slick player. Great on the cycle.
Loved him in the WJC. I hope Rockstrom has his eyes on him.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Loved him in the WJC. I hope Rockstrom has his eyes on him.
I noticed him at the U18, while I was watching Collberg. He just kept ending up on the score-sheet. It's interesting to watch how quickly he's improving. If we end up around 15 or so, I hope we take a swing at him. Mind you, I haven't watched guys like Erne yet.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Wenneberg is one of those players that could go 15th overall or slide to the 2nd round and be a steal... I'm hoping for the latter. He's got great speed and is a puck hound.

Last edited by Fozz: 01-26-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
The Kings don't even have their 1st round pick. CBJ has it.

Wennberg would be great with the CGY early 2nd.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:26 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Guess we're gonna need Ristolainen.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Mats86

Quote:

Is he better than Collberg at this point?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

It's going to be very interesting to see how it goes over the next 45 games for the flames, since they are currently in last place. Don't want to jinx or upset any flames fans but if they continue to struggle would be great to see the 2nd round pick end up in the 30's. Hopefully Nashville also struggles as it would be very exciting if the Habs were to end up with 4 top 40 picks, granted a lot can happen between now and June but will be keeping an eye out for both teams to see it goes.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I don't know. I actually didn't watch any of the Swedish WJC games for comparison, and I don't get any SEL/Allsvenskan games.

However, I will say that Wennberg is producing at a very good rate for the Allsvenskan. He is pretty old for this draft year though. September 94.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It's going to be very interesting to see how it goes over the next 45 games for the flames, since they are currently in last place. Don't want to jinx or upset any flames fans but if they continue to struggle would be great to see the 2nd round pick end up in the 30's. Hopefully Nashville also struggles as it would be very exciting if the Habs were to end up with 4 top 40 picks, granted a lot can happen between now and June but will be keeping an eye out for both teams to see it goes.
Oh hell yeah. I'd love to see us pick up another guy who squeaked out of the first round, or a guy like Buchnevich.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Guess we're gonna need Ristolainen.
If we are chasing Subban out of town, yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Kind of different circumstances which make it hard to judge. Wennberg is actually only 7 months younger than Collberg and was brought early on to play in the Allsvenskan this year, where he's been very good. Collberg spent last year split between the J20 (where he was dominant) and the Elitserien (where he struggled). Last year Wennberg's J20 numbers were nothing special while Collberg got 44 points in 35 games in 10-11.

The way I see it Wennberg is going into the draft as a more complete player than Collberg, but without an elite calling card like Collberg's shot. In the WJC, Wennberg might have actually been the better player on 5 on 5 and did a lot of the little things right, but Collberg was a PP beast. Collberg was also injured, so we don't know how good he could have been.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Watched Gogolev again last night. He's a 5'10" 20 year old Russian playing for Victoria in the WHL. RW, LHS, soft hands, great puck skills and was named the WHL player of the week. Needs to get stronger.

He's a guy I hope we draft him with a 5th round or later pick. High bust potential (likelihood) but he just might make the team as a 2nd line winger.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

The Habs' dismal record in the first phase of last season put them in a hole from which they couldn't escape. Losses in October (or, in this case, January) count as much as losses in March or April. If you want to make an example of a team that's playing over its head take the Devils' 3-0 record. As for the Flyers' poor start, look at whom they're icing. Their off-season moves weren't great and their lineup is depleted by injuries. The Caps haven't adjusted to Oates' system and in addition they're truly weaker than they were last season. Holtby may be a flash in the pan or backtracking the way Price did in his poor season after a brilliant start.

I direct your attention to the way the Habs played in games 2 and 3 despite meager contributions from the Desharnais line (not to mention Subban's absence). While that doesn't qualify them as contenders it's at least suggestive that they're bolstered by adding Prust and Galchenyuk and an improved Diaz, not to mention Markov.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Mrb1p

I think we should really aim for another high end defender in the draft.
I'd take a chance on Zadorov.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I think we should really aim for another high end defender in the draft.
I'd take a chance on Zadorov.
Once you get past the top 10 (or even within the late top 10), my targets would be Ristolainen or Zadorov.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Huffman

Quote:
If we are chasing Subban out of town, yup.

Kind of different circumstances which make it hard to judge. Wennberg is actually only 7 months younger than Collberg and was brought early on to play in the Allsvenskan this year, where he's been very good. Collberg spent last year split between the J20 (where he was dominant) and the Elitserien (where he struggled). Last year Wennberg's J20 numbers were nothing special while Collberg got 44 points in 35 games in 10-11.

The way I see it Wennberg is going into the draft as a more complete player than Collberg, but without an elite calling card like Collberg's shot. In the WJC, Wennberg might have actually been the better player on 5 on 5 and did a lot of the little things right, but Collberg was a PP beast. Collberg was also injured, so we don't know how good he could have been.
Wennberg can't match Collberg's sniping skills but you won't find many forward prospects that can skate as well as Wennberg. On the ice he looks exactly like the forward version of Jonas Brodin, the way they are built and how they skate is very similar. Wennberg also has pretty good size but will need some time to get stronger.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Wennberg can't match Collberg's sniping skills but you won't find many forward prospects that can skate as well as Wennberg. On the ice he looks exactly like the forward version of Jonas Brodin, the way they are built and how they skate is very similar. Wennberg also has pretty good size but will need some time to get stronger.
Actually "a forward version of Jonas Brodin" is a good way to describe what I've seen from him so far. While I think Collberg is going to be a power play force, Wennberg is already ahead 5 on 5. I doubt Wennberg drops to the second round but I thought the same thing about Collberg....

Old
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
The most notable thing imo is his high agility that you usually find in 5'10 players.

Closed Thread