HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban resigns with Montreal, Jan. 28 (post #1)

Old
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 500
Couturier for Subban? **** that noise.

I would part with Sean if it meant getting a franchise defenseman (ala Weber, Doughty, OEL, Pietrangelo). I like PK, want him on this team, would be fine with the term and money it would take.... but I don't rate PK as a franchise defenseman.

Sean is gonna be a rock for this team. 25/35 type of output and WILL be up for the Selke numerous times baring injury.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And as Bergevin stands at the podium announcing that he has matched that 7m offersheet, I hope he ironically stammers that he will not be bullied by other organizations trying to take advantage of the situation.
If Holmgren throws a 7 years x 7 millions offer sheet at PK, the habs will gladly let him go and reap the benefits: a first round picks from the flyers for the next four years!

Last edited by Keep Your Head Up: 01-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Keep Your Head Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
BrimStone64

Flyers should offer 5 year - 5.75 per, give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick?

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

we don't need ANYBODY bad enough to trade couturier. I don't think holmgren is as impatient as people think he is tho. couts aint goin nowhere. subban aint that big of a stud or montreal wouldn't let him go anyway.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
we don't need ANYBODY bad enough to trade couturier. I don't think holmgren is as impatient as people think he is tho. couts aint goin nowhere. subban aint that big of a stud or montreal wouldn't let him go anyway.
Subban is really good. Not sure what Montreal is doing here.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Flyers should offer 5 year - 5.75 per, give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick?
Now this, on the other hand, would be a great move for you guys; don't have to guive any player to get PK(and a reasonnable price as far as picks go), and if they match well you just pissed into habs management's corn flakes by making them pay more than they are willing to.

Old
Garbage Goal

Holmgren is a bit panicky/impatient and sees draft picks as trade bait more then anything, but he doesn't let special players go unless people have lost patience with them. Ala Carter and Richards.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think 50 was always a pretty realistic projection for his offensive output, honestly.
You clearly didn't see the lockout thread about Schenn and Cooter's upsides, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
Couturier for Subban? **** that noise.

Sean is gonna be a rock for this team. 25/35 type of output and WILL be up for the Selke numerous times baring injury.
So, wait, a young 40-50 pt dman who plays 30 mins a night of strong defense is less valuable than a 60 pt forward who plays 20 mins a night of strong defense? At the VERY least they are equivalent, imo. And that is before you even consider that one has actually started to sniff his potential while the other hasn't (of course, Cooter is younger and not expected to be at that level yet - but it is completely nonsensical to not at least allow for the POSSIBILITY that he doesn't completely fulfill the expectations people place at his feet since he is still pretty far out from them - I mean, didn't most of you JUST GET DONE having your dreams and hopes dashed by JVR?).

Imo, Cooter for Subban is a no-brainer for the Flyers. A trade of relatively equal value young players from a position of strength to a position of need. The only hesitation is in cap hit difference (league min vs. 4M+), but that is more than made up for by their development difference (a legit top pairing on the verge of #1 vs. a 3rd/4th line forward with 1st/2nd line POTENTIAL)

Of course, I also thought Cooter+Schenn+ for Weber was a no brainer, too... and I remember most here thought that would be a mistake as well.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
You clearly didn't see the lockout thread about Schenn and Cooter's upsides, haha.

So, wait, a young 40-50 pt dman who plays 30 mins a night of strong defense is less valuable than a 60 pt forward who plays 20 mins a night of strong defense? At the VERY least they are equivalent, imo. And that is before you even consider that one has actually started to sniff his potential while the other hasn't (of course, Cooter is younger and not expected to be at that level yet - but it is completely nonsensical to not at least allow for the POSSIBILITY that he doesn't completely fulfill the expectations people place at his feet since he is still pretty far out from them - I mean, didn't most of you JUST GET DONE having your dreams and hopes dashed by JVR?).

Imo, Cooter for Subban is a no-brainer for the Flyers. A trade of relatively equal value young players from a position of strength to a position of need. The only hesitation is in cap hit difference (league min vs. 4M+), but that is more than made up for by their development difference (a legit top pairing on the verge of #1 vs. a 3rd/4th line forward with 1st/2nd line POTENTIAL)

Of course, I also thought Cooter+Schenn+ for Weber was a no brainer, too... and I remember most here thought that would be a mistake as well.
I take it you REALLY want Subban on your team.
Would you not prefer the offer sheet route(vs trading coots)? And if not, why?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Your Head Up View Post
I take it you REALLY want Subban on your team.
Would you not prefer the offer sheet route(vs trading coots)? And if not, why?
It's not really an infatuation with Subban, I don't actually see him ever being a real TOP TIER dman (a strong #1, but not a franchise cornerstone or Noris contender). I just also don't get the immeasurable hype for Cooter (I mean, I love him, too... but he isn't RNH or anything, imo - Richards was a 60 pt Selke candidate and I would've traded him straight up for a #1 dman, too).

In my mind, they are relatively equivalent trade value with relatively equivalent ceilings and one fills an OBVIOUS need on the Flyers for the present and future while the other is a roster luxury due to strong young center depth being our main team strength.

I also don't see an OS ever not getting matched by Montreal (so it is a waste of time to even discuss - that Weber OS has unleashed an absurd can of worms on this board... everyone wants to OS every RFA now without any semblance of understanding of the situational context)... this negotiation is more about principal than dollars for the Habs and it is okay for them to "overpay" their RFA from a principal standpoint if someone else OS'd them and forced their hand.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Of course you allow the chance that a player doesn't become what one may think he will become (same for Subban, who's to say he never breaks 40 or even cracks 50?), but I view Couturier as a sure thing in *my* mind (as some of you view Subban as a sure thing for 50 in *your* minds).

I'll entertain the idea and can get on board with the idea that guys like Schenn, Voracek, etc won't live up to their billing, but I can't entertain the idea Couturier won't become what I suggest (baring injury). Half of it is beng a delusional homer who hopes everything is coming up Milhouse, but the other is I covet and believe in the 20 year old who put up almost 30 points on bottom 6 minutes, shut down the Art Ross and Hart Trophy winner in the playoffs, and at 19 was out there for some of the most crucial shifts of our season.

I just don't view PK as a legit #1 in this league, sorry (he'll be a top pair guy with the floor being what he is now top 4). Sean has top line potential, but I expect him to be a top 6 forward who will be the best defensive forward in the league at some point. I would not trade or package him for anything less than an impact franchise D-man/winger and PK Subban is not that player.

If you watch the games, you know damn well that Couts has the goods. I know Subban has the goods as well, but I truly believe Sean will one of the best in the world at what he does during his prime and will become the premiere defensive forward in the game.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 01-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
It's not really an infatuation with Subban, I don't actually see him ever being a real TOP TIER dman (a strong #1, but not a franchise cornerstone or Noris contender). I just also don't get the immeasurable hype for Cooter (I mean, I love him, too... but he isn't RNH or anything, imo - Richards was a 60 pt Selke candidate and I would've traded him straight up for a #1 dman, too).

In my mind, they are relatively equivalent trade value with relatively equivalent ceilings and one fills an OBVIOUS need on the Flyers for the present and future while the other is a roster luxury due to strong young center depth being our main team strength.

I also don't see an OS ever not getting matched by Montreal (so it is a waste of time to even discuss - that Weber OS has unleashed an absurd can of worms on this board... everyone wants to OS every RFA now without any semblance of understanding of the situational context)... this negotiation is more about principal than dollars for the Habs and it is okay for them to "overpay" their RFA from a principal standpoint if someone else OS'd them and forced their hand.
Fair assesment. My evaluation of both players is pretty much the same as yours. The Flyers have a bigger need for D than they have for a center, and Subban would be an EXTREMELY good acquisition for them IMO.

Last edited by Keep Your Head Up: 01-26-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
Of course you allow the chance that a player doesn't become what one may think he will become (same for Subban, who's to say he never breaks 40 or even cracks 50?), but I view Couturier as a sure thing in *my* mind (as some of you view Subban as a sure thing for 50 in *your* minds).

I'll entertain the idea and can get on board with the idea that guys like Schenn, Voracek, etc won't live up to their billing, but I can't entertain the idea Couturier won't become what I suggest (baring injury). Half of it is beng a delusional homer who hopes everything is coming up Milhouse, but the other is I covet and believe in the 20 year old who put up almost 30 points on bottom 6 minutes, shut down the Art Ross and Hart Trophy winner in the playoffs, and at 19 was out there for some of the most crucial shifts of our season.

I just don't view PK as a legit #1 in this league, sorry (he'll be a top pair guy with the floor being what he is now top 4). Sean has top line potential, but I expect him to be a top 6 forward who will be the best defensive forward in the league at some point. I would not trade or package him for anything less than an impact franchise D-man/winger and PK Subban is not that player.

If you watch the games, you know damn well that Couts has the goods. I know Subban has the goods as well, but I truly believe Sean will one of the best in the world at what he does during his prime and will become the premiere defensive forward in the game.
Maybe this is what he'll develop into after all. Not quite sure yet he'll become a true number one, but I could be wrong.
But I'm pretty sure that a few years from now, he'll be the type of player who could fill the number 2 spot on pretty much any team's depth chart.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Jtown

Saying subban won't be a number 1 is such a general comment without any meaning behind it. Defining a number 1 dman is also a joke.

Ill say this Pk right now is better than duncan keith, dan boyle, and yandle and would be our kris letang except a bigger version and a more physical prescence.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Your Head Up View Post
Maybe this is what he'll develop into after all. Not quite sure yet he'll become a true number one, but I could be wrong.
But I'm pretty sure that a few years from now, he'll be the type of player who could fill the number 2 spot on pretty much any team's depth chart.
Sound like Kimmo Timonen. Not quite a #1 stud guy, but a solid top pairing defenseman.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
FLYguy3911

I think PK is exactly what this team needs. Is he a true #1? Maybe not, but he can move the puck, step up and make a hit, and provide some much needed offense from the backend (especially if Timonen leaves).

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
if couts is traded ill find homer and tell him im upset with his decision
Add me to the list.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Saying subban won't be a number 1 is such a general comment without any meaning behind it. Defining a number 1 dman is also a joke.

Ill say this Pk right now is better than duncan keith, dan boyle, and yandle and would be our kris letang except a bigger version and a more physical prescence.
Seriously? This is the Subban hype that is kinda crazy. Unless you consider PK a Top 10 defender in the league, which I will 100% disagree with you.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Seriously? This is the Subban hype that is kinda crazy. Unless you consider PK a Top 10 defender in the league, which I will 100% disagree with you.
yeah , im very serious. PK is a serious talent in this league. He has the whole package imo. He is unbelievable out there.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
yeah , im very serious. PK is a serious talent in this league. He has the whole package imo. He is unbelievable out there.
Eh, I watched Subban games also. I guess I don't see it as you do. Keith is considered a franchise defender, and I dont think many would agree with you on PK being better than him. To each their own though.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I think PK is exactly what this team needs. Is he a true #1? Maybe not, but he can move the puck, step up and make a hit, and provide some much needed offense from the backend (especially if Timonen leaves).
This echoes what I said, 100% agree with this.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Eh, I watched Subban games also. I guess I don't see it as you do. Keith is considered a franchise defender, and I dont think many would agree with you on PK being better than him. To each their own though.
The only thing ill give keith an edge on his obviously his amazing skating ability and his puckhandling at high speeds. Also his fitness. He can play more than just about any d man in the league.

Everything else goes to subban. Better shot, much stronger, more physical with forwards. Has better scoring ability, and more creative of a player in the ozone.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Krishna

Quote:
The only thing ill give keith an edge on his obviously his amazing skating ability and his puckhandling at high speeds. Also his fitness. He can play more than just about any d man in the league.

Everything else goes to subban. Better shot, much stronger, more physical with forwards. Has better scoring ability, and more creative of a player in the ozone.
don't forget his sweet first name.

Pernell

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:23 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
I agree, he's very good, but not better than Keith, Boyle and Yandle.

That being said, I'm obviously not willing to give up a player like Couturier to get him.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Bit overrating him there, mate. While I believe he has the tools to eclipse Boyle, Keith and Yandle sooner rather than latter. It is something of a stretch to say he has already, in particular, Keith.

If a deal does happen though. I suspect Brayden and Luke are who go the other way, if not less. Montreal's trade resume does not convince me they could negotiate Couturier out of Philly.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 01-26-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote