HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
BTCG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
BradD the problem with all your trades is you think other teams will give something for our players with bad contracts (Schultz, Ward, Perreault, Chimera). These players have little to no value and you think we can trade our junk for players good enough to turn this team around.

Other GMs are not dumb enough to trade anything of value for our scrubs, they have eyes they know those guys stink.

If those offers you throw out were realistic they would have happened

The option to get a change here could follow NYR pattern and send our overpaid guys to the minors or waivers eat the salary and buy FA but we all know ted is to cheap for that.
LOL,

I kinda treat Brad like my younger brother, who emails me (and a large list of others) every joke and video he comes across each day. I just scroll by those.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Off-topic but Ovi had his best month in last four years in March.
Okay.. but maybe once a year in March isn't enough, eh?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
His special "skill set" is really just rushing the puck up the ice and taking a shot.

A lot of players had that skill set over the years: in the old days, they'd bench a Dman that did that. And that's the truth.
Bench a defenseman for rushing the puck? Old days? Orr, Coffey, Ozolinsh?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
BradD the problem with all your trades is you think other teams will give something for our players with bad contracts (Schultz, Ward, Perreault, Chimera). These players have little to no value and you think we can trade our junk for players good enough to turn this team around.

Other GMs are not dumb enough to trade anything of value for our scrubs, they have eyes they know those guys stink.

If those offers you throw out were realistic they would have happened

The option to get a change here could follow NYR pattern and send our overpaid guys to the minors or waivers eat the salary and buy FA but we all know ted is to cheap for that.
I'd say Perreault and Chimera have pretty good contracts, especially Chimera. Perreault could be trade bait, whereas I imagine it would have to be quite a deal to move Chimera. Teams don't usually reward the kind of loyalty he showed by taking a pay cut to stay after a career season by turning around and trading the guy.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
Bench a defenseman for rushing the puck? Old days? Orr, Coffey, Ozolinsh?
That was the style for a short while in the late 80's... but the Devil's style quickly eclipsed it.

I think it fair to say that we gave the offenceive defenceman experiment plenty of time (15 years) here.

Time to get Dman who actually can play D, IMHO.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:01 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
That was the style for a short while in the late 80's... but the Devil's style quickly eclipsed it.

I think it fair to say that we gave the offenceive defenceman experiment plenty of time (15 years) here.

Time to get Dman who actually can play D, IMHO.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. The problem is that none of the Caps D right now do anything particularly well. At the end of the day however, I think you need a good balance of offense and defense from your back line.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'd say Perreault and Chimera have pretty good contracts, especially Chimera. Perreault could be trade bait, whereas I imagine it would have to be quite a deal to move Chimera. Teams don't usually reward the kind of loyalty he showed by taking a pay cut to stay after a career season by turning around and trading the guy.
I agree, but he actually signed the contract before his career season had the makings of a career season.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. The problem is that none of the Caps D right now do anything particularly well. At the end of the day however, I think you need a good balance of offense and defense from your back line.
IMO... you need Dmen who have a good slapshot, for their pointe play, but in a situation such as we're in, you apply the basics first: play D.

If your guys play good D and can provide some O too... that's a plus. But you've gotta mind the store before you can make sales. If you don't, very quickly, there's no store to mind.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Millhaus

A team with a defense that just plays D has no transition game and will struggle to score regardless of how much talent they have up front.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
LOL,

I kinda treat Brad like my younger brother, who emails me (and a large list of others) every joke and video he comes across each day. I just scroll by those.
That's nice of you.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:13 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
That's nice of you.
I apologize, and I truly mean it. I'll read all your comments and participate in answering. Sorry for being a jerk.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
msrulo

Green can't play defense.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Green can't play defense.
Sarcasm, or not watched this year?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I think Green has bigger problems playing offense lately...

While he has shown some urgency on the PP of late, I don't think anyone would ever wager on him scoring close to 30 goals again. I bet even 20 would get no takers.

I think most would be thrilled to see him at a 10 goal pace.

EDIT: He has 5 goals in his last 43 games.

totally looked at the wrong years

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-08-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sarcasm, or not watched this year?
I watch every game, but maybe I am too zoned into the offense. We have a lot of goals scored on us. Could be JC and Schultz that are problem too. Our defense is bad though.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Green has bigger problems playing offense lately...

While he has shown some urgency on the PP of late, I don't think anyone would ever wager on him scoring close to 30 goals again. I bet even 20 would get no takers.

I think most would be thrilled to see him at a 10 goal pace.

He has 3 goals in his last 90 games.
I agree, if he doesn't show some sparks of brilliancy soon the caps will start to evaluate his purpose to this team.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I watch every game, but maybe I am too zoned into the offense. We have a lot of goals scored on us. Could be JC and Schultz that are problem too. Our defense is bad though.
Green's GAON/60 is 1.76 at even strength, which is better than Vlasic, Hannan, Hamhuis, all of the Rags defensemen, Phillips, Keith, Seabrook, among others. Over the full season last year, that would have been good for 12th in the NHL. It's second on the Caps to John Erskine, who has played half the games and significantly less ice time.

Green's GAON/60 is 2.64 on the PK, which is better than Phillips, Keith, Doughty, Staal, Smid, among others. Over the full season last year, that would have been good for 11th in the NHL. It's the best number on the Caps, by a distance (almost a full 2 goals better than John Erskine, who's second).

Old
02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

In addition to being easily the Caps' best defensive defenseman this season, Green is fourth on the team in points, and his pace would project to 15 goals and 30 assists over 82 games.

He's the least of our problems this season.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Green's GAON/60 is 1.76 at even strength, which is better than Vlasic, Hannan, Hamhuis, all of the Rags defensemen, Phillips, Keith, Seabrook, among others. Over the full season last year, that would have been good for 12th in the NHL. It's second on the Caps to John Erskine, who has played half the games and significantly less ice time.

Green's GAON/60 is 2.64 on the PK, which is better than Phillips, Keith, Doughty, Staal, Smid, among others. Over the full season last year, that would have been good for 11th in the NHL. It's the best number on the Caps, by a distance (almost a full 2 goals better than John Erskine, who's second).
Damn. That's impressive.

It's also sad that Erskine is top 2 in both of those categories.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
msrulo

Quote:

Well true that. If anyone on the D who will you blame?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Well true that. If anyone on the D who will you blame?
Poti, Kundratek, and Schultz have been the worst at 5-on-5 (4.69, 4.28, 3.61 GAON/60).

Carlson, Alzner, and Schultz have been the worst at 4-on-5 (15.25, 10.24, 10.07 GAON/60).

That Carlson number would have been dead last in the league last season for defensemen who played at least 50 games, and at least 1 minute of PK time per game. Alzner's would have been third worst and Schultz tied for fourth worst.

Granted, some of those struggles can be attributed to the farce in net, but the PK really needs to be addressed and Schultz needs to be gone yesterday.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Poti, Kundratek, and Schultz have been the worst at 5-on-5 (4.69, 4.28, 3.61 GAON/60).

Carlson, Alzner, and Schultz have been the worst at 4-on-5 (15.25, 10.24, 10.07 GAON/60).

That Carlson number would have been dead last in the league last season for defensemen who played at least 50 games, and at least 1 minute of PK time per game. Alzner's would have been third worst and Schultz tied for fourth worst.

Granted, some of those struggles can be attributed to the farce in net, but the PK really needs to be addressed and Schultz needs to be gone yesterday.
Great analysis.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
In addition to being easily the Caps' best defensive defenseman this season, Green is fourth on the team in points, and his pace would project to 15 goals and 30 assists over 82 games.

I totally agree about Green. I think Alzner probably gets shafted by those stats because he's had to drag around Carlson in a few games, though.

Also worth noting that the PK numbers have such a small sample size that one goal can make a huge difference in a guy's numbers at this point.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Well said. Go away haters...

Old
02-11-2013, 01:54 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Philly needs a puckmover on the back end. Green or Carlson if either are available. What is the price?

Closed Thread