HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I was thrown by the "his release is slow" comment. I thought the consensus was that he has a wickedly quick release and that's why his wrist shot is so dangerous?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I was thrown by the "his release is slow" comment. I thought the consensus was that he has a wickedly quick release and that's why his wrist shot is so dangerous?
Maybe it`s the way he shoots? Maybe he`s taking his time. The shot itself is deadly, that much we know.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
If that scouting report is accurate about the time he takes shooting that too can be an issue, he ain't going to have the time in the NHL to get his shot off that he has in juniors. I never realized how much of a project he really is.

01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
CerebralGenesis

Sounds pretty much as expected. A little harsh on the creativity aspect he was harping on several times although he admitted that he doesn't really need it.

Just stay strong on the puck and improve your skating while keeping the goal scoring up and I won't be worried. Sounds like releasing earlier too

Old
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Jack Griffin

This thread has been Boucher heavy so I present Graham Black and the Swift Current mascot after their win yesterday.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Jack Griffin

And now back to Boucher. He got in a fight tonight? Can't wait for the video of that.

Edit: Apparently he had a fight last year as well. Both have come against Plymouth.

Last edited by Jack Griffin: 01-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 07:42 PM
CerebralGenesis

I didn't know that another random poster gave that scouting report. I was hoping it was from an actual scout of some kind. No offense to the posters here but there are a lot coming from a myriad of hockey experience.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
If that scouting report is accurate about the time he takes shooting that too can be an issue, he ain't going to have the time in the NHL to get his shot off that he has in juniors. I never realized how much of a project he really is.
I just looked at the report again, doesn't "his accuracy is bad" make the next phrase "when he gets his shot off, it's usually going in the net" a logical contradiction?

I'm not sure what to believe here, everything I've been told about him and everything I've seen the couple times I've watched full games of him, suggest that his wrist shot is hard and accurate, with a quick and deceptive release. Apart from that, he doesn't have much going for him, but sometimes a good shot is enough.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Jack Griffin

Severson and Scarlett both had a goal and assist tonight. Severson is now 6th in Dman scoring in the WHL with 7 goals 29 assists.

Scarlett is 18th with 7 goals 23 assists.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Boucher came into came a couple years ago and had a few goals in the scrimmages i believe. People were talking about his shot then.

I know +/- isnt a good stat to go but but he has really improved that this year. Couple posters also said he was getting more garbage goals and is going to the net a little more, which adds to his game.

We will get an idea next year, believe he will be in the AHL he starts lighting the lamp like his is not it will not be long before they bring him up.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
FirmestPiano

3 - S.C R. Scarlett, 13:50 - Embellishment, 2 min
3 - S.C G. Black, 18:51 - Major-Elbowing, 5 min (PP)
3 - S.C G. Black, 18:51 - Game Misconduct, 10 min
3 - S.C R. Scarlett, 18:51 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
3 - S.C R. Scarlett, 18:51 - Game Misconduct, 10 min

on top of that Scarlett had a minor aswell.

179 penalty minutes, including 5 fights in Swift currents game last night. crazy

Old
01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
DevsFan30

Saturday's Activity:

WHL:
Reece Scarlett - 1 goal, 1 assist, +1, 24 PIM (hook, embellishment, misconduct, game misconduct), 2nd star in Swift Current's 5-2 loss vs. Moose Jaw
Graham Black - E, 15 PIM (elbowing major, game misconduct) for SC

Damon Severson - 1 goal (PP), 1 assist, +1, 2 PIM (rough) in Kelowna's 6-2 win vs. Prince Albert

OHL:
Reid Boucher - 1 assist (PP), -3, 5 PIM (fight) in Sarnia's 6-2 loss at Plymouth
*first fight of the season, third of his career

Ben Thomson - +1, 2 PIM (hook) in Kitchener's 4-1 win at Erie

Artur Gavrus - E in Owen Sound's 5-0 loss vs. Guelph

NCAA:
Blake Coleman - 1 assist, +1, 3 shots, won 0 of 5 draws in #6 Miami's 3-1 win vs. Bowling Green

Curtis Gedig - 1 assist, +1, 2 blocked shots in Ohio State's 6-1 win vs. Lake Superior State

Joe Faust - +1, 1 shot in #20 Wisconsin's 2-1 win vs. Alaska-Anchorage

Jon Merrill - -1, 1 blocked shot in Michigan's 5-1 loss at #9 Western Michigan

Seth Helgeson - -1 in #1 Minnesota's 4-1 win at #14 Minnesota State

Derek Rodwell - DNP in #5 North Dakota's 2-2 tie vs. #16 St. Cloud State

Old
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan30 View Post
Saturday's Activity:

WHL:

Damon Severson - 1 goal (PP), 1 assist, +1, 2 PIM (rough) in Kelowna's 6-2 win vs. Prince Albert
Severson.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
DevsFan30

Sunday's OHL Activity:

Ben Thomson - E in Kitchener's 3-2 win at Guelph
47 games, 9 goals, 10 assists, -7, 94/104 PIM

Ben Johnson - -2, 2 PIM (trip) in Windsor's 8-4 loss at Sudbury
48 games, 13 goals, 10 assists, -17, 22 PIM

Old
01-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Jersey Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Consensus is Boucher is like a Sykora/Moulson kinda player....
Just curious where this quote/scouting report came from?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Just curious where this quote/scouting report came from?
Some random poster on the prospect board.

Ya

Old
01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharkenby View Post
Bouch has 15 games left to reach 50... Hope he gets it. When's the last time a 4th round pick scored 50 goals in the CHL??
We once drafted a guy named Kevin Riehl who scored 66 goals in the WHL and then couldnt even make the Albany River Rats.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
We once drafted a guy named Kevin Riehl who scored 66 goals in the WHL and then couldnt even make the Albany River Rats.
Wow. Been a fan of the team since the 80's but that is a name that did not ring any bells. Could be because he was an 11th round pick Learn something new every day, though...

http://www.salshockeyautographs.com/...vin-riehl.html

Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
He was an overager, though. We drafted him at 20.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I didn't know that another random poster gave that scouting report. I was hoping it was from an actual scout of some kind. No offense to the posters here but there are a lot coming from a myriad of hockey experience.
I posted that. I've seen nearly every game he's played this season, so I feel rather confident in opinion of Boucher. I've been watching the OHL for a long time, but I certainly don't have credentials in hockey (similar to almost every poster here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I just looked at the report again, doesn't "his accuracy is bad" make the next phrase "when he gets his shot off, it's usually going in the net" a logical contradiction?

I'm not sure what to believe here, everything I've been told about him and everything I've seen the couple times I've watched full games of him, suggest that his wrist shot is hard and accurate, with a quick and deceptive release. Apart from that, he doesn't have much going for him, but sometimes a good shot is enough.
I guess. I thought it was fairly clear when I said, "when he gets his shot off, it's usually going in the net" meant that when he loads up his shot and gets it on net. I apologize if it wasn't. His release isn't quick by any means, but it's something that he's clearly improved since last season and continues to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Like I said, it isn't quick, but he's clearly improved on it and I have no doubt that he will continue to do just that. I wouldn't be concerned about his release too much, it's only going to improve. The main concern about him is skating and as a smallish player that's a big concern, but it hasn't held him back at the OHL level, so we'll see how it translates to the pro level.

He goes to the front of the net, he knows how to get open, and he battles hard to get into open ice. He's strong on his skates which makes him he's hard to push around once he decides where he's going set up. He knows how to score goals and he's scored a lot of them at every level he's played, so there's little doubt in my mind that he'll continue that at the next level.

One last thing I forgot to touch on. Boucher is actually pretty good defensively, when taking into account that he's a goal scorer it makes it pretty impressive. He plays on the first penalty kill unit (with Sarault) and is usually on the ice when Sarnia needs to protect a lead late in the game. He's never going to be known for his defensive game, but he will not be liability in his own zone.

Last edited by That: 01-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
CerebralGenesis

Thanks for the follow up. Good to get some more info before running into town with an unknown box.

Sounds pretty close to what was expected although the amount of goals he is scoring is pretty impressive.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

1996 2nd round pick Wes Mason, the year after we drafted him, had 45 goals in the OHL. at 19 years old.

He couldnt cut the mustard in the AHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:54 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I posted that. I've seen nearly every game he's played this season, so I feel rather confident in opinion of Boucher. I've been watching the OHL for a long time, but I certainly don't have credentials in hockey (similar to almost every poster here).
I guess. I thought it was fairly clear when I said, "when he gets his shot off, it's usually going in the net" meant that when he loads up his shot and gets it on net. I apologize if it wasn't. His release isn't quick by any means, but it's something that he's clearly improved since last season and continues to improve.
Like I said, it isn't quick, but he's clearly improved on it and I have no doubt that he will continue to do just that. I wouldn't be concerned about his release too much, it's only going to improve. The main concern about him is skating and as a smallish player that's a big concern, but it hasn't held him back at the OHL level, so we'll see how it translates to the pro level.
He goes to the front of the net, he knows how to get open, and he battles hard to get into open ice. He's strong on his skates which makes him he's hard to push around once he decides where he's going set up. He knows how to score goals and he's scored a lot of them at every level he's played, so there's little doubt in my mind that he'll continue that at the next level.
One last thing I forgot to touch on. Boucher is actually pretty good defensively, when taking into account that he's a goal scorer it makes it pretty impressive. He plays on the first penalty kill unit (with Sarault) and is usually on the ice when Sarnia needs to protect a lead late in the game. He's never going to be known for his defensive game, but he will not be liability in his own zone.
Cool thanks for the info!

Old
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
CerebralGenesis

I'm hoping drafting has improved from our end since the 80s and late 90s.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Thanks for the follow up. Good to get some more info before running into town with an unknown box.

Sounds pretty close to what was expected although the amount of goals he is scoring is pretty impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Cool thanks for the info!
No problem guys.

I saw someone wanting to see a video of his fight, so here it is:

A little back story. Sarnia and Plymouth are rivals. This year they've been going back and forth all year for the division title, so there has been some very intense games between the two teams this year. Lots of extra-curricular activities going on. I only caught about half of the game on Saturday, but Boucher and MacDonald were going at it every shift. It boiled over and they decided to drop the gloves. Fighting definitely isn't something Boucher is experienced at, but he gave 5 inches on MacDonald.

Closed Thread