HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I guess Brad somehow blocked me from reading his posts. This thread is going to be so boring now.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
And that makes no sense what you just said.

"A rookie coming from the draft and being on a Cup winning team"

WELL DUH. Teams that pick in the Top 5 don't usually turn around and compete for a Cup. Those are the players that usually make the NHL roster right away anyways.

So your point is irrelevant.
So then why are you trying to improve a team that has been a cup contender using rookies as core pieces...?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Seguin wasn't a core piece when the Bruins won the cup. He was scratched for most of the playoffs.

You really want a rookie as a 3rd line center, usually reserved for someone who can match opponents top lines and play a defensive role, in the tough road known as the NHL playoffs? Seriously?
Would you take Nugent Hopkins on the Caps last year in the playoffs?

If the answer is yes, you lose.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Blah blah blah Kundratek is 23 blah blah blah....
I'm not saying that a 23 year old can't play on a cup team or even play a key role because of course they can. I am saying Kundratek is not at this point in his career anywhere close to ready for regular NHL action. I'm sure he has developed very nicely on your NHL '13 team but here in the real world at this point in time he just isn't very good and it doesn't matter how many times you write him in as part of the Caps near term plan on defense that isn't going to change.

Old
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I guess Brad somehow blocked me from reading his posts. This thread is going to be so boring now.
This post made me think that maybe sonsofcain had blocked me since I hadn't seen him post in awhile.

... Then I clicked your profile and realized you were him.

Well done.

Old
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Arnott is unsigned and not retired.

GMGM, sign him, over pay him I don't care, ****ING SIGN HIM.

Or NVM he's already signed.

Old
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
So then why are you trying to improve a team that has been a cup contender using rookies as core pieces...?
We're not nearly a cup contender right now.

We have several holes on offense to fill and then 1/2 holes on defense. The majority are on offense. It makes no sense to lock down 5 defenseman on long term deals when you have as much holes as we do on offense.

Are you saying Seth Jones gives us a legitimate chance to win a Cup now? Does he have a better shot at helping us in his second year than MacKinnon?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

By the way:

"After being a healthy scratch for the first two rounds of the 2011 NHL Playoffs, Seguin was put into the lineup to start round 3, after Patrice Bergeron sustained a mild concussion. Seguin scored a goal and added an assist in his first game, and followed that up with 2 goals and 2 assists in the second. He became the first teenager to score 4 points in a NHL playoff game since Trevor Linden in 1989. On June 15, 2011, the Boston Bruins captured the Stanley Cup, winning the series 4-3, and 4-0 in Game 7."

Boston is deeper than we are, MacKinnon would play every game when healthy if he was drafted as well as Drouin. That's virtually the only reason Seguin was a "scratch".

Old
01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
By the way:

"After being a healthy scratch for the first two rounds of the 2011 NHL Playoffs, Seguin was put into the lineup to start round 3, after Patrice Bergeron sustained a mild concussion. Seguin scored a goal and added an assist in his first game, and followed that up with 2 goals and 2 assists in the second. He became the first teenager to score 4 points in a NHL playoff game since Trevor Linden in 1989. On June 15, 2011, the Boston Bruins captured the Stanley Cup, winning the series 4-3, and 4-0 in Game 7."

Boston is deeper than we are, MacKinnon would play every game when healthy if he was drafted as well as Drouin. That's virtually the only reason Seguin was a "scratch".
Oh thanks for that, I don't watch hockey so i had no idea that Seguin scored a few goals against the Lightning.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Just for reference, have you ever heard of Mark Fayne or Slava Voynov?

Voynov won in his rookie year and is the same age as Kundratek. Fayne went to the Cup in his 2nd season and nearly won it with New Jersey. He's 25.

Kundratek is 23. With a full season under his belt he could very well be a third line defensive pair.

And i'm sorry but what are you talking about? You draft your needs if you fall into the Top 5 unless you're a team like Edmonton or Columbus who is there many times. Galchenyuk and Yakupov made the rosters this year and are making an impact on their teams. So you are clueless in that regard.

If you draft in the Top 5, which is where Jones or MacKinnon would be taken, they have a shot of making the roster right away. MacKinnon would be the third line center right away if he made the roster. That is undisputable.

We need better quality forwards. No one denies that. We're missing one or two pieces on defense. We're missing a first line wing, two 2nd line wings, and a third line center at this point AT THE MINIMUM.

Kuznetsov and Forsberg will fill up two of those four spots. Kuznetsov won't be here until late 2014 likely.
You're going to invest a lottery pick in a great prospect, and then give him third-line minutes?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Would you take Nugent Hopkins on the Caps last year in the playoffs?

If the answer is yes, you lose.
In what fantasy world do the Caps draft 1st overall in '11 and are a playoff team the next year? The team would have looked vastly different if they were bad enough to get the number one pick.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
You really want a rookie as a 3rd line center, usually reserved for someone who can match opponents top lines and play a defensive role, in the tough road known as the NHL playoffs? Seriously?
Couturier did pretty well for the Flyers in that role last year. The rest of the team crapped the bed though.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Couturier did pretty well for the Flyers in that role last year. The rest of the team crapped the bed though.
Yeah but Couturier has a great defensive game.

I mean if we take Monahan I guess he could fill that 3C role as a rookie, but BradD is pretty set on MacKinnon or Drouin...

Old
01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Nathan MacKinnon from what I have read gets labeled a good all around center...

Old
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
@SWhyno: Remember when Jason Arnott was the Alexander Semin whisperer? Those were the days. #Caps #2011memories

Old
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
HTFN

I wish I could occupy the sparkling utopian hockey world that you appear to live in. I guess all I can say is that eventually you'll figure it out, just because someone gets "projected" to be something doesn't mean some won't sputter out, and as we may or may not be seeing with our worldbeater, you never know when, either. The only solution is that you're too young in the hockey "life cycle" to see it yet.

I can put it another way, as well. In a board so hilariously combative and split down the middle, almost always, over something or another, nobody ever seems to be on your team.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Everybody's everything is better than the Caps' at the moment.

Orlov should accept third pairing pay because we want him to play on the third pairing? Seems more likely to me that he'll be paid commensurately with his performance in the year(s) leading up to the expiry of his contract.

What makes you think the Caps will cut ties with Chimera? For that matter, what makes you think they'll actually cut ties with Schultz? I'm well aware that they SHOULD cut ties with Schultz, but he's still on the roster.

So your salary cap solution is that either the guy making $1.15M or the guy making $0.64M "will be gone next season"? You're going to find a cheaper backup?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Oh thanks for that, I don't watch hockey so i had no idea that Seguin scored a few goals against the Lightning.
A few goals?

He went from scratched to scoring in the Eastern Conference Finals. Not a huge "impact" but you basically said he did nothing.

I'm starting to question if you do even watch hockey now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
In what fantasy world do the Caps draft 1st overall in '11 and are a playoff team the next year? The team would have looked vastly different if they were bad enough to get the number one pick.
You do realize there is a thing called a draft lottery, right?

And New Jersey made the Stanley Cup finals picking fourth in 2011. Florida won the division picking third.

Quote:
You're going to invest a lottery pick in a great prospect, and then give him third-line minutes?
He's a center, where would you put him?

He's not going to stay on the third line forever. MacKinnon could probably beat Ribeiro for the 2nd line job. Don't be foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I wish I could occupy the sparkling utopian hockey world that you appear to live in. I guess all I can say is that eventually you'll figure it out, just because someone gets "projected" to be something doesn't mean some won't sputter out, and as we may or may not be seeing with our worldbeater, you never know when, either. The only solution is that you're too young in the hockey "life cycle" to see it yet.

I can put it another way, as well. In a board so hilariously combative and split down the middle, almost always, over something or another, nobody ever seems to be on your team.
Does it look like I care?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
A few goals?

He went from scratched to scoring in the Eastern Conference Finals. Not a huge "impact" but you basically said he did nothing.

I'm starting to question if you do even watch hockey now.
I said he wasn't a core piece, which was correct. He scored a few goals in the ECF and did nothing before or after that.

And lol... says the guy who brought up a wikipedia post about Seguin to try and prove his point.

Quote:
Does it look like I care? Caps fans are notoriously stupid and know nothing about hockey.
Yes All Caps fans are stupid... Other than you, of course.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:20 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Everybody's everything is better than the Caps' at the moment.

Orlov should accept third pairing pay because we want him to play on the third pairing? Seems more likely to me that he'll be paid commensurately with his performance in the year(s) leading up to the expiry of his contract.

What makes you think the Caps will cut ties with Chimera? For that matter, what makes you think they'll actually cut ties with Schultz? I'm well aware that they SHOULD cut ties with Schultz, but he's still on the roster.

So your salary cap solution is that either the guy making $1.15M or the guy making $0.64M "will be gone next season"? You're going to find a cheaper backup?
If you go with Holtby/Neuvirth as your starter you'll want a cheaper backup. If you believe any of them can be a franchise goaltender that is.

Schultz isn't even playing and when he does it's his typical self. There is virtually no way he'll be on the roster next season.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
I said he wasn't a core piece, which was correct. He scored a few goals in the ECF and did nothing before or after that.

And lol... says the guy who brought up a wikipedia post about Seguin to try and prove his point.

Yes All Caps fans are stupid... Other than you, of course.
So Wikipedia is totally false? That makes sense.

And i'm pretty sure you suggested trading Ovechkin in another thread in main. Yeah, you're a bright one.

It's clear you guys won't listen to anything else. It's no wonder we get a bad rep for being foolish. Draft Seth Jones over possibly the next John Tavares, sigh.

I try to reason and I get called stupid and an EA Sports GM. Cool. I sure hope GMGM doesn't read these boards or our team will consist of players without Ovechkin and still having Ward, Schultz, Perreault, and Chimera.

But our defense will be good. That's a plus.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
If you go with Holtby/Neuvirth as your starter you'll want a cheaper backup. If you believe any of them can be a franchise goaltender that is.

Schultz isn't even playing and when he does it's his typical self. There is virtually no way he'll be on the roster next season.
Based on what? Schultz is George's pet... he's been bad for years, and yet he's still on the roster, no?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Again, cheaper than Neuvirth's $1.15M or Holtby's $0.64M?

Quote:
Again, I said I'm aware of why he shouldn't be here. McPhee has a track record of keeping Schultz despite enormous evidence that he should be dumped. So what makes you think he'll actually do it now, when the reasons he should be gone are the same, and he's still here?

Old
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
So Wikipedia is totally false? That makes sense.

And i'm pretty sure you suggested trading Ovechkin in another thread in main. Yeah, you're a bright one.
You question if I watch hockey... and bring up a wikipedia post that says he scored some goals to try and dispute my statement that cup winning teams don't have rookies as core pieces... One can conclude that I actually watched those playoffs, while you pulled up a wikipedia post in a weak attempt to prove me wrong.

And I did say that, because i believe it should be done sooner than later before he has no value left. This is a forum, where people have different opinions. There are others here that agree he should be traded, and others that believe he shouldn't. It is what it is.

Quote:
It's clear you guys won't listen to anything else. It's no wonder we get a bad rep for being foolish. Draft Seth Jones over possibly the next John Tavares, sigh.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
He's a center, where would you put him?

He's not going to stay on the third line forever. MacKinnon could probably beat Ribeiro for the 2nd line job. Don't be foolish.
I'd put him in juniors before I'd put him on the third line.

Please show your supporting evidence for your claim that MacKinnon could probably beat Ribeiro for the 2nd line job.

Closed Thread