HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

I could handle a bad season

Old
01-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I'd like to have a great first half and then a collapse to land Mackinnon. This team simply isn't going to make the playoffs and a crash lasting 24 games wouldn't be bad at all.
What Seth Jones has no good youtube videos?

There's my overused and unfunny joke of the week

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:03 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
What's the point of drafting high? If it's with someone else's pick I'm fine with it. I'd rather be in playoffs personally. Loved watching the Avs play the Sharks a couple years back.
Agreed. Watching Andy's 51 save shutout was much more entertaining than any draft selection.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I can't handle missing the playoffs 3 years in a row.
Well, IMO the Avs were a playoff bubble team anyway, and that with O'R and Downie in the lineup. What they're icing right now will certainly not cut it, I don't think.

I'm OK with them missing the playoffs, as long as they're doing the right things: signing the correct players, developing the young players in the AHL/juniors, and the young NHL players improving towards their potential. Unfortunately, there is a lot of room for improvement here.

The best part about the Avs missing the playoffs again, would be the potential firing of Sacco and Sherman.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
Avs can't tank, too much talent. at worst we become a perpetual 9th, 10th, or 11th seed like the Flames or something.
At worst?

What would propel the team into the perpetual 4/5/6th place territory?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
The best part about the Avs missing the playoffs again, would be the potential firing of Sacco and Sherman.
Sacco has already survived several occasions when he should have been fired.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:42 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Sacco has already survived several occasions when he should have been fired.
Yeah, I know. The nepotism machine that is Avs management is difficult to overcome.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
whatever road brings this team a Cup the fastest is the one I want it to take.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:46 PM
tucker3434

I wast really confident about this lineup when downie and oreilly were in it. This roster isn't a playoff roster and I'd rather finish last than ninth this year.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
the_fan

I really believe Avs can be contenders by the year 2024

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Personally, I've had enough bad seasons lately.

I get the idea that it's a good draft, and we need one or two top notch guys to complete this roster.

But I want to see the guys we have progress, not just stay the same or regress.

I want to cheer for playoff wins, not a good lottery pick.

The tank stank, and I don't want to drive it again.

Now, if we miss the playoffs, I'll be hoping like crazy that we get lucky enough to win the lottery and score at the draft!

But I'd rather see a good season and the playoffs than a bad season with better draft position.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

There are always good players that go late 1st round or later every year (Giroux, Eberle, Benn, Lucic, ROR, etc.). I'd rather have a good season and see this team get into the playoffs. Then hopefully Varly can stand on his head.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

I couldn't. We'll end up tanking for that blue chip prospect and waiting 2-3 years from him to really have an impact. Look at Adam.L for NJ. Was suppose to come in and be a player from the get go, hasn't happened like that. I think the Avs have got really lucky with Landy, Duchene, O'Reilly where they came in and were able to play a pretty big role quickly. Guess it would be nice to get that high talent player, because I do agree that's what we lack.

Give me playoffs over anything and I honestly don't think we can finish in the bottom 3. More likely to finish 9th-11th this year in the West. Rather just compete in the playoffs.

ANewHope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

We're not getting Burke. No way, no how. They'll have to shoot Lacroix and drag him from the premises before they even tender Burke an offer.

And I don't want Burke anyway. He bungled things so badly in Toronto the only reason he wasn't considered by many the worst GM in the league was because Scott Howson and Steve Tambellini continue to be employed.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Drizzt1

Yup, we have a pretty unworthy, poor quality roster as it stands today. I hear the big guns in Kobasew and Hunwick are making their long awaited debut's for the year today.

In my opinion, I'd love to see us land someone like Mckinnon. God knows we need some high end talent on this very mediocre team.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Yup, we have a pretty unworthy, poor quality roster as it stands today. I hear the big guns in Kobasew and Hunwick are making their long awaited debut's for the year today.

In my opinion, I'd love to see us land someone like Mckinnon. God knows we need some high end talent on this very mediocre team.
So Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, and Varly don't count as high end talent? All of those players have the talent to become top 10 players at their positions. Now they may not make it (just like Mckinnon, Drouin, Jones, etc may not).

Even the Penguins are lacking talent at positions... I mean they sometimes play Tangradi on a line with Crosby.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
whatever road brings this team a Cup the fastest is the one I want it to take.
I agree with you !

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So Landeskog, Duchene, EJ, and Varly don't count as high end talent? All of those players have the talent to become top 10 players at their positions. Now they may not make it (just like Mckinnon, Drouin, Jones, etc may not).

Even the Penguins are lacking talent at positions... I mean they sometimes play Tangradi on a line with Crosby.
Yeah but we don't have one surefire Top Line player or #1 dman.

All we have is potential. And I have to say that (probably because of Sacco) I am not that impressed. I am not sure that Duchene will turn into a Giroux or Toews. I am not convinced that EJ will turn into a Pronger. I am not really convinced that Landy can be our Iginla.

Bottom line is that more high end talent is needed on this team.
I don't want to top out as perenial playoff team in Duchenes and Landeskogs prime which gets routinely effed by the likes of EDM, LA, MIN or Chicago.

I want a team with the potential to contend for a cup.
Right now I don't think that we are talented enough to do just that.

So I am on board with sucking for another year if we can not overcome our injuries. I just don't want to end up 9th or 10 th in the West again.
Rather tank for 40 games and get rid of Sacco and Lacroix (pipedream).

And hell hell hell no to Brian Burke!

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
chocoloco

That is ludicrous. Kronke sports will never start spending to make the Avs better unless they make ton of profit like they did when they were bad ass. Playoff games make tons of money. It would be better to have even one playoff round for more profit rather than another season watching Kings like the Kings win it while still being on par with the Avalanche.

chocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Yeah but we don't have one surefire Top Line player or #1 dman.

All we have is potential. And I have to say that (probably because of Sacco) I am not that impressed. I am not sure that Duchene will turn into a Giroux or Toews. I am not convinced that EJ will turn into a Pronger. I am not really convinced that Landy can be our Iginla.

Bottom line is that more high end talent is needed on this team.
I don't want to top out as perenial playoff team which gets routinely effed by the likes of EDM, LA, MIN or Chicago.

I want a team with the potential to contend for a cup.
Right now I don't think that we are talented enough to do just that.

So I am on board with sucking for another year if we can not overcome our injuries. I just don't want to end up 9th or 10 th in the West again.
Rather tank for 40 games and get rid of Sacco and Lacroix (pipedream).

And hell hell hell no to Brian Burke!
No draft pick will ever be a surefire player, potential is all they have. Busts happen all the time.

Not too long ago Duchene was thought of as a player that could possibly hit 90 points in a season. Johnson was a sure thing to be the next hall of fame defensemen. Hell, Adam Larsson was the next great Swedish defensemen, now he is getting scratched (I still think he ends up fine). The fact is, many of these flavor of the weeks tend to not reach their full potential. Tanking just to get more elite talent doesn't guarantee Cups. Smart trading, drafting, and signings get cups... it takes all 3.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:53 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

have awesome season, 2-3 playoff rounds(maybe win cup), trade ryan o'reilly for first pick overall and get Barkov and im happy!

seriously though, i dont want us to tank... losing in a playoff round is better than last seasons, the excitement from playoffs is worth more imo..

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
There are always good players that go late 1st round or later every year (Giroux, Eberle, Benn, Lucic, ROR, etc.). I'd rather have a good season and see this team get into the playoffs. Then hopefully Varly can stand on his head.
I agree 100%. I like the management and the scouting staff and trust them to improve the team. And I certainly want to watch some exciting hockey and many Avs wins.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I really believe Avs can be contenders by the year 2024
Change your username

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
outoftune

Well all I have to say is that if we do look like we will be out of it early april I hope Greg from accounting has the sense to trade almost our entire defense for picks/prospects and bring up gaunce elliott, chouinard etc.... if we are going to lose lets do it right

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Well all I have to say is that if we do look like we will be out of it early april I hope Greg from accounting has the sense to trade almost our entire defense for picks/prospects and bring up gaunce elliott, chouinard etc.... if we are going to lose lets do it right
Good Lord...the team's been rebuilding for years and you want to strip it down to the point where a guy playing for the Cutthroats has to be put on the roster? Not even the Oilers could fail on purpose so spectacularly. I'm guessing if the Avs did something so stupid the league would be investigating them.

And "if we are going to lose let's do it right." is an oxymoron. You can't fail correctly. New rules regarding the draft don't reward the worst team in the league like they used to.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:00 PM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Let`s not overreact, we had a bad game in 4. And we were playing against possibly the best team in the league.
At least this game against the Sharks clearly showed what the team is lacking... some puck movers at the blue line.
I also think that we need somebody else to play with Statsny. IMO Landy should be playing with him and Hejduk with Duchene.
ALSO WE NEED RADAR BACK!

finds71 is offline   Reply With Quote