HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Who the hell fires a GM after 48 games..he has at least, very least 2 years, and even then he probably has more time than that.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:41 PM
arsmaster

Still talking Toronto.....Boring....move on Leafs.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
move on from Kadri, Gardiner and a first and we might leave the thread.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Who the hell fires a GM after 48 games..he has at least, very least 2 years, and even then he probably has more time than that.
From what I understand, it's more a "group think" anyways in Toronto... GM is a figurehead, like the Wizard of Oz... There is more than one man behind the curtain, pulling the strings... Is this correct?

Old
01-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I'm not sure what you are arguing here. Teams do not give interim GMs two year extensions. Teams also do not fire GMs based on 48 game seasons.

It's not about what the board has planned, it's about looking at the situation logically.
Do you not think that Nonis takes any culpability in where the Leafs are today? He was 2nd in command.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:
I would think you would be more likely to stay if we went down from that.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
nonis scored us a 26 year old luongo for a 28 year old bertuzzi. Both on final year of deals. Nonis had to give Luongo 6.75mil a year with an NTC to get him to stay in Vancouver instead of walk out a UFA. Not bad for a guy who had never won an NHL award or even played a playoff game.

Nonis is not about to re purchase a 34 .....im sorry, hes only 33 and 9/10ths ........goalie with a 10 year contract and a 5.3 mil cap hit .

The cap hit is not GREAT right now. Its good. Next year, it should still be good. In 2015 it will be fair to annoying. In 2016 it will be annoying. In 2017 and beyond it will outright suck please get rid of this guy.

I have no idea why some people on here think the other GMs are stupid and wil throw out excellent cheap young talent for a goaltender which carries the baggage that Luongo now has at his age.

He was 12th in save percentage and 16th in GAA. Thats GOOD. His back up posted far better numbers with the same team, but this is about Luongo.

Luongo is NOT an elite goalie now. Hes a SOLID goalie.

Still say Ashton , Colbourne and an unprotected 1st in 2014 is way too little for this overpaid albatross?

No? Need Kadri plus plus ?

We need to move Luongo. Everyone knows it. We can put up with it until the summer but the clock runs out at that point. GMs all know it. They can just wait until then and offer us DOG CRAP knowing we cant enter next year with him.

It may not be what we Canuck fans wanna hear, but its a very educated projection of what will probably occur.
You say this despite lacking any certifiable proof to corroborate it. You have yet to provide a list of supposedly fourteen goaltenders better than Luongo nor have you refuted claims suggesting Luongo could emulate Kipper, Brodeur, Thomas, Roloson, Hasek and other goaltenders who play or played well into their late thirties.

In short, your "very educated projection" is little more than baseless conjecture, just like the majority of this thread.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:58 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
1) I can't explain it any better then I have. If you fold under pressure like you suggest then the LEAFS will NEVER improve for the better.

2) Making the playoffs consistently and going deep in the playoffs is the biggest profitable situation ownership could be in. It make sense that they would want that.

3) I believe a three year extension on top of the two years still remaining, pretty standard if you ask me. And of course I can't tell you unequivocally what will happen in the future but it's completely absurd to think Nonis would be given millions of dollars to only be fired 48 games later. Probably as likely as Roberto Luongo wanting to quit hockey and become an astronaut. No one makes that argument because it's silly. Much like the argument Numbers was making to facilitate his opinion on Luongo's trade value.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't make as valid or supported as someone elses. That's the point of reason and research and so on.

If you ask me, your idea of Luongo to the NYI makes so much sense on so many levels. Well thought out.
Probably as likely? really? Can you name a single goalie, or player, or anyone involved in hockey who quit their careers to become an astronaut? That has never happened, and never will (especially given that you need particular education and experience to make a career change like that).

How many GMs get fired with term on their contracts? Burke had 2 years left on his deal when he was fired. And he's not the only one. The average lifespan for a GM in the NHL is less than 5 years - how many of them get fired with term on their deals?

You're suggesting that it's absurd that a GM gets fired with term on his contract (which has actually happened many times in the past), and equating that to a player retiring to become an astronaut (which has never happened in the history of the game). Maybe if you're comparisons weren't so absurd, it'd make more sense?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
oxymoron

Old
01-26-2013, 07:09 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Probably as likely? really? Can you name a single goalie, or player, or anyone involved in hockey who quit their careers to become an astronaut? That has never happened, and never will (especially given that you need particular education and experience to make a career change like that).

How many GMs get fired with term on their contracts? Burke had 2 years left on his deal when he was fired. And he's not the only one. The average lifespan for a GM in the NHL is less than 5 years - how many of them get fired with term on their deals?

You're suggesting that it's absurd that a GM gets fired with term on his contract (which has actually happened many times in the past), and equating that to a player retiring to become an astronaut (which has never happened in the history of the game). Maybe if you're comparisons weren't so absurd, it'd make more sense?
Joe Juneau quit to become a rocket scientist, is that close enough?

Ken Dryden left a hall of fame career to become a lawyer and that is a career that requires significant education.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:10 PM
marty111

Quote:

*rolls eyes*

Okay so me a newly appointed GM who's been fired only after 48 games and after signing an extension?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Joe Juneau quit to become a rocket scientist, is that close enough?

Ken Dryden left a hall of fame career to become a lawyer and that is a career that requires significant education.
I always thought Dryden became a cop and ate one to many donuts.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
*rolls eyes*

Okay so me a newly appointed GM who's been fired only after 48 games and after signing an extension?
Ok, now that you have successfully ignored the comment about how gillis is a liar and Nonis never would here. Lets just move on from your interim GM. I'm sure you guys will be fine in about 5 to 6 years.

Now to the teams that still could be involved.

Edmonton
Chicago
Washington
Philly
Florida

Am I missing anything?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
Do you not think that Nonis takes any culpability in where the Leafs are today? He was 2nd in command.
Absolutely. But apparently ownership felt that Dave Nonis should be given a chance at running the team without Burke owning a veto on every hockey decision.

Otherwise he would have been shown the door along with Burke.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Ok, now that you have successfully ignored the comment about how gillis is a liar and Nonis never would here. Lets just move on from your interim GM. I'm sure you guys will be fine in about 5 to 6 years.
You're reaching. You sound angry.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
rune74

Quote:
You're reaching. You sound angry.
Nope just tired of the circular arguments, you guys will be fin in 5 to 6 years like I said.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:46 PM
The Saurus

For those tuning in to the Maple Leafs game, Reimer has been very impressive. Are these signs that he could potentially play well enough to carry the team in an average fashion?

If so, how does that impact upon Roberto's value if at all?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
For those tuning in to the Maple Leafs game, Reimer has been very impressive. Are these signs that he could potentially play well enough to carry the team in an average fashion?

It's been one period!

Didn't we just hear after game 1 how good Scrivens was and how Luongo's value around the league has dropped due to how good all these question mark goalies played in their first couple games?

What happened then after the next couple games?

Any goalie in the league - and even in the AHL - can look good for a game or 2... I'd guess that most GMs don't value players around the league based on a game or 2... as I said before in another post, NHL GMs likely don't fluctuate on values they give a player from game to game like fans here do.... after Reimer's "impressive" performance in the 1st period, maybe I should add "period to period" to that comment?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Linters*

Quote:

Not at all really, it's been well established Toronto and Vancouver aren't good trading partners so I don't see a deal happening between the two of them.

Also don't see a deal happening for Lui till the deadline at the earliest, Kassian has shown himself to be the top 6 winger we needed, Schroeder is showing himself to be reliable in a shut down role (AV isn't sheltering him and is starting him in the defensive zone majority of the time) aswell as showing good chemistry with Raymond, Raymond is having a bounce back year, Keith Ballard actually looks good. So I don't see a trade happening for awhile to determine if these things are just hot starts or if these players are actually for real, if it is for real all the holes in our line up ended up plugged from within the system so I'd see Luongo being traded more for futures then roster players at the dead line. Just my two cents.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:11 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
It's been one period!

Didn't we just hear after game 1 how good Scrivens was and how Luongo's value around the league has dropped due to how good all these question mark goalies played in their first couple games?

What happened then after the next couple games?

Any goalie in the league - and even in the AHL - can look good for a game or 2... I'd guess that most GMs don't value players around the league based on a game or 2... as I said before in another post, NHL GMs likely don't fluctuate on values they give a player from game to game like fans here do.... after Reimer's "impressive" performance in the 1st period, maybe I should add "period to period" to that comment?
I was just trying to steer the conversation back to Luongo, and away from Dave Nonis.

But yes, it has been one period. But the question still stands: would James Reimer be able to provide the Leafs with average goaltending?

BTW, Ben Scrivens wasn't particularly impressive in the first game for the Leafs. He stopped the pucks but looked very shaky in doing so. Reimer's first game was much more solid.

IMO, Reimer's potential to be an NHL starter is very much in tact. I just don't see it in Scrivens, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post
Not at all really, it's been well established Toronto and Vancouver aren't good trading partners so I don't see a deal happening between the two of them.

Also don't see a deal happening for Lui till the deadline at the earliest, Kassian has shown himself to be the top 6 winger we needed, Schroeder is showing himself to be reliable in a shut down role (AV isn't sheltering him and is starting him in the defensive zone majority of the time) aswell as showing good chemistry with Raymond, Raymond is having a bounce back year, Keith Ballard actually looks good. So I don't see a trade happening for awhile to determine if these things are just hot starts or if these players are actually for real, if it is for real all the holes in our line up ended up plugged from within the system so I'd see Luongo being traded more for futures then roster players at the dead line. Just my two cents.
I agree with this. Good post.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
BerSTUzzi

On a non-Toronto question...do any fans of Florida, Washington, or Edmonton feel like there is any interest for Lui? Has there been any new rumours or is this going to be a game 10-15 decision to be made?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
So... Joffrey Lupul?

You do not get to cherry pick only the negatives. But let's assume you can.

Kulemin = Bertuzzi
Gunnarson = Allen
Reimer = Auld

Doubt Toronto likes that, which is why people should stop bringing up this trade.
I'm not. I don't think he will be traded to TO. My point is Vancouver really did not give up that much to get Lou. I hope MG fleeces whoever he makes a trade with, but I doubt it.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:18 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Most of us have moved on from Toronto period. You guys are just still here making conversation.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:19 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

New thread is up.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1333825

Closed Thread