HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ovechkin

Old
01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I love how people are going on and on about OV's perceived crazy value but the truth is, if he has a comparable season to last year (or even worse), why would Ovechkin possibly be worth so much? He's the definition of the albatross contract, except nobody cared because he was worth it back then. Well, not anymore.

I get the idea that you have to pay more because of his past accomplishments that aren't too far away, but if he regresses for three straight years, I think Caps fans should start to worry.
He's still going to fetch more than what Nash fetched if he were ever to be traded. The 9.5M cap hit is really scary though.

It's a shame that Ovie isn't the player he was once. It was extremely fun to watch this guy. I hope he can come back and put up 50 goals, 100 points again.

Honestly the best case scenario for the Caps is to keep Ovie, Backstrom and some other pieces like Carlson/Alzner etc, fire McPhee/Oates.

Hire Burke. He's a genius at rounding out a team, making trades etc. I can bet anything that the Caps will be back to contending for the Cup in no more than 2 years if Burke is hired.

This is the perfect job for Burke.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
At least with most veteran players, they can take depth roles over time. Ovi can't and will not do that. He does not have the value that he used to have and it is showing in every game. He used to be a game changing force, now he is wallpaper.

Yakupov will be lighting up the highlight reels for years to come. He is already talked about with only 3 games under his belt.

Keep him and his massive contract lol.
Ovechkin had his best month in many years in March. He had, what, 9 goals in a month? He's gonna be ok. Back to that 35 to 40 goals form, I bet.
Yakupov is not a big name player in DC. He won't fill seats just because he's on the Caps team.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

For 75% of the people in this thread, the "kick him while he's down" thread can be found here. It would be greatly appreciated if you could keep the schadenfreude over there.

For the other 25%, this thread wasn't started by a Caps fan. We're not looking to move him. So all the asinine "this is all I'd be willing to offer" posts... not really necessary. The "value" that should be up for discussion is the value of the return necessary for the Caps to trade Ovie, because for the time being he's still valued as a superstar and any offer that doesn't reflect that is a waste of time.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
He's still going to fetch more than what Nash fetched if he were ever to be traded. The 9.5M cap hit is really scary though.

It's a shame that Ovie isn't the player he was once. It was extremely fun to watch this guy. I hope he can come back and put up 50 goals, 100 points again.

Honestly the best case scenario for the Caps is to keep Ovie, Backstrom and some other pieces like Carlson/Alzner etc, fire McPhee/Oates.

Hire Burke. He's a genius at rounding out a team, making trades etc. I can bet anything that the Caps will be back to contending for the Cup in no more than 2 years if Burke is hired.

This is the perfect job for Burke.
Washington has a team that is exactly like how burke wants to run a team.

this is very similar to him taking over in anaheim if it were to happen. He is really good at wheeling good trades. Hope you have a good goaltender.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
ginovegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Galchenyuk + Pacioretty + Subban + 1st is what I'd want.

I'm not convinced he's the problem as much as the rest of the team being built like out of ice cubes in the middle of a desert.
Are you serious???
would like to have but in no way would i jeopardize our future

Ovi makes 9.5 till 2021

you want to give up the foundations to a potential top unit for 1 guy

Habs don't meed him at that price

maybe a team that needs the star power to help draw. Capitals may be stuck with that contract. Maybe a deal centered around Lecavalier

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
SchultzSquared*

Paajarvi, Yakupov, three 1st rounders.

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
He is untradable for both positive and negative reasons.
Positive: Face of Caps franchise, past accomplishments, could still be a franchise forward, would garner ridiculous return.
Negative: Could be no longer a franchise player, huge contract, would garner a ridiculous payment to acquire.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
ginovegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcontentCapsFan View Post
Caps could end up selling low to move Ovechkin, and I hope they do, but low isn't free. A young top six forward, an NHL ready blue chip prospect, a high end prospect, and a top five overall first round pick are the about what it would take.

Think a bit more than Kovalchuk fetched for Atlanta. (Top6 forward, 1st rounder, prospect, top four Dman) that's the low end for Ovechkin.
so you're telling us something like

defenceman John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and the Devils first round pick in 2010.

I'm sure someone can come up with a 5-6 dman, a second liner, an AHLer and a mid to late first

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:55 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
Are you serious???
maybe a team that needs the star power to help draw. Capitals may be stuck with that contract. Maybe a deal centered around Lecavalier
Capitals may also be stuck with Ovechkin's 40 goals a year. I'd take that. And Lecavalier is awful.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:58 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Capitals may also be stuck with Ovechkin's 40 goals a year. I'd take that. And Lecavalier is awful.
Yea i'd hate to be stuck with the guy who puts up 38 goals and is top 5 in goals on the worst year of his career and who has put up 65 goals before.

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Puckgenius*

WSH would want a top 4 dman, top 6 physical winger, forward prospect and maybe a goalie prospect.

To boston for

Horton
Caron
Boychuk
1st

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
lamp9post

Ovi is still one of the games best goal scorers.

That said, I don't see many teams willing to give up what it would take to get him. The $9.5mil cap hit is also a huge obstacle to any trade involving him.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:09 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
WSH would want a top 4 dman, top 6 physical winger, forward prospect and maybe a goalie prospect.

To boston for

Horton
Caron
Boychuk
1st
I don't think that would be enough. Horton being UFA this summer limits his trade value.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:44 PM
MW6

Maybe Anaheim would be a good fit? Why you ask?

It might make Getzlaf and Perry want to re-sign more likely (and form one he** of a line).
It would be great for the franchise from a commercial view, help their attendance average to rise from last years 14760 (86 % of maximum, 5th lowest avg. in the league).
They have the capspace.
Boudreau coached Ovechkin during his best years (so far). And no, there's no hard feelings between them.
They have a deep prospect pool with many nhl-ready players coming up.
Ovechkin could use a change of scenary, where he doesn't have to be the captain and carry the team all the time and focus solely on playing.
Playing with two physical and skilled players is IMO exactly what he and his production needs, especially with a right shooting Center. It would make him not have to carry the puck all the time.

Ryan + Sbisa + prospect + pick maybe?

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
OV for Rights to Ryan O'Reilly + Stefan Elliott + 1st '13 + David Jones? Not sure if that's the right value. Steer me in the right direction caps fans?

Not that I would even just do this deal on a snap decision. Thats a lot of pieces for one winger, even an elite winger like OV

jfisher6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
OV for Rights to Ryan O'Reilly + Stefan Elliott + 1st '13 + David Jones? Not sure if that's the right value. Steer me in the right direction caps fans?

Not that I would even just do this deal on a snap decision. Thats a lot of pieces for one winger, even an elite winger like OV
R'OR, McGinn, Siemens, 1st is something I'd consider!

Would you consider Johansson + Brouwer for R'OR?

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
Are you serious???
would like to have but in no way would i jeopardize our future

Ovi makes 9.5 till 2021

you want to give up the foundations to a potential top unit for 1 guy

Habs don't meed him at that price

Ever hear of Lightning fans throwing out Lecavalier proposals?

We (or at least I) want to move Ovechkin a whole lot less than that.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
For 75% of the people in this thread, the "kick him while he's down" thread can be found here. It would be greatly appreciated if you could keep the schadenfreude over there.

For the other 25%, this thread wasn't started by a Caps fan. We're not looking to move him. So all the asinine "this is all I'd be willing to offer" posts... not really necessary. The "value" that should be up for discussion is the value of the return necessary for the Caps to trade Ovie, because for the time being he's still valued as a superstar and any offer that doesn't reflect that is a waste of time.
Well if you want to be like that then it would be fair to say that there is a Cap fan out there that would like to move him and want to know what other teams would offer, this thread is for him. so yes how other teams would value him is relevant (and BTW since when did it matter on these boards if something is relevant, its specualation and discussion)

is it really so outrageous to suggest that a 9.5 million dollar contract for another decade for a player under PPG in his prime years may not necessarily be worth gutting a franchise?

Leave out any assets going the other way. What id like to know is how many teams would take him right now as a UFA for 10 years $9.5 million/year?

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
KIRK

Quote:

To boston for

Horton
Caron
Boychuk
1st
Has Ovechkin really fallen THAT far?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ever hear of Lightning fans throwing out Lecavalier proposals?

We (or at least I) want to move Ovechkin a whole lot less than that.
They dont throw them out because they know nobody wants him on that contract.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

To boston for

Horton
Caron
Boychuk
1st
How would this work?

That is no where close in value. That's like trading MoJo.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
They dont throw them out because they know nobody wants him on that contract.
We don't throw them out because we love our Captain. He makes up for his diminished performance with leadership.

Actually, **** talking ovi aside, that may not be a bad model for Ovi to follow. He's not going to win the rocket or art ross again, so he should become a mentor and real emotional leader with a good two way game. He may not put up the numbers, but he could still help turn Washington into a winner.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
His value would be immense because of how much the Caps the value him. Its the same of what Iginla is to the Flames. Often Flames fans would shoot down proposals on these boards saying that's not nearly enough because of what he means to the team and city. OV will bounce back to an extent and if a GM did acquire him and that happened he would look like a genius. Because he's the face of the Caps and what he's done in the past your talking about a package that includes: a bluechip prospect, 2 x 1st round picks and a good young player with upside.

Why would the Caps take anything less?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Why would they want a goalie prospect? I read an article a few weeks ago that said they are stacked with young goalies

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Why would they want a goalie prospect? I read an article a few weeks ago that said they are stacked with young goalies
Yeah, I'd rather get a top-15 1st round pick than G prospect.