HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

vCash: 500
The Bruins are a well balanced team. Not sure why people are always aiming at the 3rd line guys: Pouliot is a BUM, Bourque a no good thug etc etc etc. Let's face it: offensive production should come, first and foremost, from the 1st and 2nd line and this where you best players needed to be. The 3rd line is a "backup" plan. If they produce well, then it's a bonus. In this cap era, you can't expect a team to fill his 3rd line with expensive options. Right now, Bourque is just fine.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The Bruins are a well balanced team. Not sure why people are always aiming at the 3rd line guys: Pouliot is a BUM, Bourque a no good thug etc etc etc. Let's face it: offensive production should come, first and foremost, from the 1st and 2nd line and this where you best players needed to be. The 3rd line is a "backup" plan. If they produce well, then it's a bonus. In this cap era, you can't expect a team to fill his 3rd line with expensive options. Right now, Bourque is just fine.
I think you're wrong when you say the third line is the backup plan. It might be on most teams, but that's not the way the Bruins are built. They won the Stanley Cup because they have 3 well balanced lines, a very useful 4th line, and a great goalie. Everyone has to contribute at some point because besides a young Seguin we lack elite scoring talent. So far the first line has been fine thanks to Lucic, second line has been fine thanks to Bergeron who also contributes a ton on the PK, and the fourth line has been good and won the game for us yesterday. But the third line has contributed nothing offensively and it even looks shaky defensively. This isn't all on Chris Bourque though, I think both Pev and Kelly have looked average at best so far this season. They need to step up.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

For what it's worth, Bourque in four games played has no goals, no assists only one SOG and is -3.

Maybe Peverly and Kelly are the ones at fault here? The third line as a unit has been basically invisible and a non-factor.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
For what it's worth, Bourque in four games played has no goals, no assists only one SOG and is -3.

Maybe Peverly and Kelly are the ones at fault here? The third line as a unit has been basically invisible and a non-factor.
The fourth line was bad against the Rangers in New York, then were the sparkplug against the Islanders.

There will come a time, probably very soon, when the third line will step up and give the Bruins a major lift. They aren't going to be in the doldrums forever.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
Bourque has been ok at best so far. Still too early. However, what's scary is that (if i'm not mistaken) he only has 1 shot on goal in 4 games. That's not going to help him keep his job.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Fopppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tales View Post
Bourque has been ok at best so far. Still too early. However, what's scary is that (if i'm not mistaken) he only has 1 shot on goal in 4 games. That's not going to help him keep his job.
That's definitely not an encouraging statistic. I'd pair it to some degree with that CB has been way too easily knocked off the puck (and his skates) along the boards, contributing to the 3rd line's difficulties in mounting any kind of sustained o-zone pressure in any of the games so far. Again, Pevs and Kelly are obviously not blameless in all this either, but since the spotlight invariably falls on the new guy he will be scrutinised. I wouldn't bail on him just yet, but another 3-4 games without significant improvement and I'd say he's due a stint in the press box.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:13 PM
bigcat188

I think the only thing keeping him around is his name, I hope he proves me wrong?

Old
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The fourth line was bad against the Rangers in New York, then were the sparkplug against the Islanders.

There will come a time, probably very soon, when the third line will step up and give the Bruins a major lift. They aren't going to be in the doldrums forever.
Completely agree. Not coincidentally, Bourque played his best game of the year against the Isles, IMO.

I also think that people need to remember that this is his 4th game playing with Kelly and Pevs.

Right now, the team is winning, and though he hasn't made an impact on the score sheet, he is not playing poorly by any means.

He's not here because of his name, he's here because he was the most NHL ready player that the Bruins had at the AHL level. Spooner is developing in Providence, and if need be, the Bruins can go out and get a vetaran player at the deadline, but right now it is not costing them to keep Bourque around for the first part of the season and at least see what he can do. Maybe he's a 4A player, fine, if that's the case, he won't be here come playoff time, and I don't care what his last name is. But he hasn't lost the job 4 games into the season.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

That's what makes this team so good... and please point to this post when you are wrongly accused of never having anything bad to say about the Bruins..

Old
01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
He looked decent in the first game or two, but I don't think he will stick. Even though Caron hasn't been awesome, once he is healthy I would imagine he'll be back up.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
PJ StockBB

to be fair to Bourque that whole third line has been subpar. Kelly and Pevs haven't been good either. but, like Artemis said, they will step up and start producing and win us some games like the 4th line did for us the other night.

that being said, still don't think Bourque sticks up here. i really hope he proves me wrong but when Caron is healthy i think he gets a look. i still have more faith in Caron then many others on here. at the very least he adds a bigger body to that line and he's a good pk'er.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

I still think Bourque has looked solid out there. And I prefer him to stay up over Caron, as I think he brings more to the table than Jordan does. I'd say he has improved each game so far. Hopefully they stick with him awhile and he find a groove. I'd like to see him make it!!

Old
01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Arnott is about to sign with NYR for about 1.5 million, wouldn't have been a bad option.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
Arnott is about to sign with NYR for about 1.5 million, wouldn't have been a bad option.
not terrible but he's old and slow. i don't know how he would of fit with Pevs and Kelly. i do like him as a player tho

Old
01-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Therick67

Peverley, Kelly and the 4th line have a track record in this league. CB does not.
It feels to me like they had every intention of giving him the job the day they traded for him.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:48 PM
MaCam

I don't think he's looked bad at all so far. If anything Kelly and Peverley haven't looked that good.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCam View Post
I don't think he's looked bad at all so far. If anything Kelly and Peverley haven't looked that good.
My money says Kelly and Peverley will come around, will CB?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:48 AM
bigcat188

This guy is just keeping a seat warm, @ 5'7 170 he won't win many battles in the corners, and we know how much CJ loves that.
Don't forget he is not a kid, he been around awhile.
CJ can cover up for him at home but that won't work on the road.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

if they choose to go in another direction soon I hope Sauve gets a shot. he's a RFA at the end of the year and has a ton of skill maybe he'll get lucky and stay healthy and bring some life to the 3rd line.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 AM
ODAAT

I`d still like a bigger body on the wing for that line with no disrespect to Bourque. We can say what we want about Pouliot, but his ability to win even one puck battle on the wall was/is far stronger than what Bourque has shown he can do thus far.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
For what it's worth, Bourque in four games played has no goals, no assists
Recreating his days as BU's Blutarsky (sp?) Mr 0.0

Third line needs someone with size...not another midget (I am a midget so I can use this term)

Old
01-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Thought this might be worthy of talking about again? Has anyone seen anything to indicate that he's worthy of 3rd line mins and PP time?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Thought this might be worthy of talking about again? Has anyone seen anything to indicate that he's worthy of 3rd line mins and PP time?
I haven't. I'd like to see, as some others have mentioned, someone with some size in that spot.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:07 AM
chsb

Quote:
Watching the game last night, I thought that Bourque was a hindrance rather than an asset to the Bruins 3rd line.....he was not up to par with Peverley and kelly....even in their effort.

I could see a guy like Paille fit very nicely on that 3rd line and calling up MacDermid/Caron for the 4th line spot...

I think Paille deserves recognition for his play and could easily fill Pouliot's shoes from last season.

That would be the ideal internal fill in solution.
Of course going after a proven 3rd liner would be more expensive, but do the Bruins really need the best 4th line in the NHL and a so and so 3rd line?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
It's not a matter of whether he is deserving of it, its a matter of whether someone else is more worthy. Management were able to see a lot of Providence play during the lockout, chances are they think he is the best candidate at this point. I doubt they're happy about how things have worked out production-wise, but I never really expected them to do a very short tryout. I think he's around another 5 games or so before they would make a move.

Closed Thread