HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread II: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I like the last paragraph. "There's a reason why he's out of a job".

Old
01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
awfulwaffle

I have to question this trade though. Why did we get pitching prospects? I know a team can never have enough pitching, but our farm system is stacked with pitching.

We gave up our 3rd baseman for another left side fielder, and then a middle infield prospect. I'll applaud this trade if the prospects pan out, but it just doesn't make too much sense to me knowing the pitching we have down low that will/should come up eventually.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Delgado, who turns 23 in a couple of weeks, wasn’t spectacular in his 18 appearances for the Braves last season (4-9, 4.37 ERA 76 Ks and 42 BB in 92.2 IP), but he remains a solid pitching prospect who has stuck out 9.6 batters per nine innings in six minor league seasons. Spruill is a year and a half older and hasn’t hit the bigs yet. The Braves likely didn’t have him penciled in to their rotation any time soon. He doesn’t strike out a ton of guys but doesn’t walk many either. Ahmed, a second rounder in 2011 out of the University of Connecticut, hasn’t been above A-ball yet. He has promise, but is blocked by Andrelton Simmons. Drury is 20 and struggled in low-A ball last year.

As for the Braves’ side of things: they got their man. Upton may have struggled at times last season, but he has shown that he is capable of elite performance at a young age, being only a year removed from an age-23 season in which he hit .289/.369/.529 while playing strong defense. The biggest question will be how he does outside of the extremely friendly confines of Chase Field, where he boasts an OPS of .937. Compare that with his road OPS of .731.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...than-expected/

Old
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
awfulwaffle

Another thing I wanted to comment on with the deal, is it revolves around resigning Prado to a deal after this season(he becomes a Free Agent). I hate the 1 year players, who will most likely wind up going elsewhere for more money. Who knows, I could be totally wrong, and maybe the Diamondbacks had the ability to talk to him ahead of time, and figure out if he wanted to come here.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
#Dbacks expect to sign new 3B Prado, a free agent after 2013, to long-term extension in the near future, source said. Only way deal was made
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ong-term-deal/

Pricy but getting a 3B was worth it. I know a lot of people were high on CJ but getting an All Star helps.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So now they are talking about parlaying some of the prospects we picked up with Prado into a deal for Detroit's Rick Porcello. We are going to have an insane amount of early to mid-20's starters.

01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Every player acquired in this deal is one would could have been through conventional means.

Basically this is insane and I'm going to go bash my brains in now.

The Diamondbacks have traded away 3 potential perennial all stars in the last year. And did not receive ONE player of that caliber back.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

This is a real shame here as the DBacks traded Upton. I'm at a loss of words on this one. Looks like we have another team in the Valley that needs an ownership change.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post

The Diamondbacks have traded away 3 potential perennial all stars in the last year. And did not receive ONE player of that caliber back.
Who? Upton, Bauer and Parker?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Who? Upton, Bauer and Parker?
Yes. Even if you think they won't reach that ceiling, what they got back just isn't even comparable. Parker is already better than Cahill.

Gregorius doesn't have a high ceiling by anyone's measure. Well except Kevin Towers.

Upton has already been an all star and they traded him for a 3B who is solid but reached his peak already. And 3 mid level prospects.
Both of Uptons best seasons are better than anything Prado has done offensively.

Right now we have an outfield of some hodgepodge of Kubel Parra Eaton Ross. That blows ass.

It's completely possible that Upton doesn't reach his potential. Heck it's even likely. But this team has traded away nearly every scenario where a break out year could turn this team around.

Next is gonna be Skaggs for a couple relievers and a utility SS.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
XX
... Waiting

Why the rush to dump Upton? Must have been really, really bad in the clubhouse or something.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:13 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

After all the trade overtures they made the team almost had to trade him.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
After all the trade overtures they made the team almost had to trade him.
There is no almost. Upton had them take down all of his marketing swag they had all over chase field. He made it known through his agent that he would not be available to do any events of any kind, from media to charity and community. He was not going to wear a D-Backs uniform again. Still, you can probably blame the D-Backs for that. Sounds like he was just a bad fit and the relationship had broken off, with both sides being completely tired of the other. Apparently, it was basically the same with Trevor Bauer. They apparently only want a certain kind of player in the clubhouse and that does not include primmadonna or weirdos.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Not buying Upton as a primadonna. Bauer yeah.

Upton wanting out has more to do with the FO publicly floating his name as trade bait every 10 seconds. The FO trashed any trade value he had by selling low and then further devaluing the asset in the media.

Don't listen to the post trade spin machine that always comes out after a deal. There were absolutely no signs, even unsubstantiated rumors, that Upton wanted out before the Dbacks media war was launched mid last year.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
awfulwaffle

UofA basketball goes down against UCLA tonight.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
UofA basketball goes down against UCLA tonight.
Comical how the ball was not dropping tonight.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:19 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Comical how the ball was not dropping tonight.
Yeah, just checked the box score. 38% shooting, ouch.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
awfulwaffle

ASU beat USC yesterday, as well as NAU winning. Not a bad day for AZ sports. Oh, and Suns beat the Clippers, WTF?!?!

Old
01-26-2013, 06:18 PM
awfulwaffle

Pac-12 is turning out to be fairly interesting in Mens Basketball so far. After ASU beat UCLA not too long ago, they look like this:

TEAM CONF OVERALL
Oregon 6-0 17-2
UCLA 6-2 16-5
Arizona State 5-2 16-4
Arizona 4-2 16-2
Washington 4-2 12-7
California 3-3 11-7
Colorado 3-4 13-6
USC 3-4 8-12
Stanford 2-4 11-8
Washington State 2-5 11-9
Oregon State 1-6 11-9
Utah 1-6 9-10

USC plays Arizona later tonight, but it's becoming very packed after Oregon. Granted, it doesn't matter till the Pac-12 Tournament, but how many of those tournament games are going to be BIG for teams trying to get into March Madness if they don't win the Pac-12 Tournament?

Once again, ASU has a terrible non-conference schedule, so their RPI will suck, so they won't be looked at as much as UofA and such. Still though, these regular conference games are no gimmes.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
XX
... Waiting

The ASU win over UCLA was big. 4 star Oregon WR recruit they are hoping to flip was in attendance.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The ASU win over UCLA was big. 4 star Oregon WR recruit they are hoping to flip was in attendance.
I have to ask where you get this intel from? I would love to know more about what recruits are attending and such, just as an ASU fan who is interested.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Arizona killing U$C

Old
01-26-2013, 07:59 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I have to ask where you get this intel from? I would love to know more about what recruits are attending and such, just as an ASU fan who is interested.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=43&f=1679
http://arizonastate.rivals.com/default.asp?type=2

I have access to the paid section, which has some mildly privileged information. A lot is being made about Priest Willis (a tempe 4/5 star guy) going to UCLA, but after hearing his presser I just had to laugh. Zero character. His family stood up ASU coaches (they had scheduled an in-home meeting) and they are ASU alumni. He said the UCLA area is "rich" and he can "work on his branding." He had 7 helmets out for his little announcement escapade. I'm glad he didn't go to ASU after that crap. Another Burfict in the making. Every corner thinks they have to be Deon Sanders nowadays.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
awfulwaffle

Always a good night when the Suns beat the Lakers.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 AM
awfulwaffle

Seriously, the Pac-12 is just NUTS this year in basketball! Oregon just got stomped by Stanford. I really want to go to Vegas to watch the tournament this year, because it feels like anyone could win it with the way the conference play has been going.

Closed Thread