Suggestions for the Power Play?

Old
01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Trade for Malkin
Or, once a minor is assessed. Send Thornton out to take the faceoff. Puck drops, punch opposing center right in the face, and go 4 on 4.

Not practical. But it would be hilarious.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Montecristo

Take seguin off the halfwall. His puck control skills are in one word, poor. he is very fast and has a great shot and underrated passing ability but his ability to keep the puck on his stick when facing defensive pressure isn't good. I would much rather see them bring up ryan spooner and stick him on the first unit with krecji on the point with hamilton, lucic in front of the net/down low and seguin free roaming looking for a gap in the opposing teams zone. for the 2nd unit have chara on the point with seguin (gasp a double shift) marchand on the half wall, bergeron down low/in front and horton looking for pockets in the zone. hopefully that would open up shooting opportunities for horton and seguin (2 of the teams better shooters) and it would give 2 creative players the puck on their stick with spooner and marchand. Hamilton with krecji is good because as hamilton has shown already, hes a better offensive player then chara. Putting 2 players with great vision on the ice together from the point could be very productive, especially with hamilton continuing to find lanes to get his shot through.

Montecristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Take seguin off the halfwall. His puck control skills are in one word, poor. he is very fast and has a great shot and underrated passing ability but his ability to keep the puck on his stick when facing defensive pressure isn't good. I would much rather see them bring up ryan spooner and stick him on the first unit with krecji on the point with hamilton, lucic in front of the net/down low and seguin free roaming looking for a gap in the opposing teams zone. for the 2nd unit have chara on the point with seguin (gasp a double shift) marchand on the half wall, bergeron down low/in front and horton looking for pockets in the zone. hopefully that would open up shooting opportunities for horton and seguin (2 of the teams better shooters) and it would give 2 creative players the puck on their stick with spooner and marchand. Hamilton with krecji is good because as hamilton has shown already, hes a better offensive player then chara. Putting 2 players with great vision on the ice together from the point could be very productive, especially with hamilton continuing to find lanes to get his shot through.
You make a lot of good points here. Seguin's ability to control the puck in traffic is an issue, and I haven't really heard it mentioned. Ultimately, I think Spooner will help this PP before season's end.

Good take.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

There's also a total inability to play pucks across the goal mouth. You watch the Sharks or Wild, they have set plays where they can actually get the pucks into the blue paint for rebounds or tip ins. That never happens with Boston.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:23 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Remember when Chara used to sneak in for the back door play? I used to love that.

We also need to keep in mind that as frustrating it is to watch the Bruins' PP, they haven't been as awful since Savard's career ended as we like to to think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ar=season_2011

They were middle of the pack last year w/ 43 PPG in 250 chances for 17.2% conversion

Philly was first with 54 PPG in 250 chances or 21.6%

Two years ago, they were below average, but so were the Penguins. Both were around 16%.

The year they had the unstoppable offense led by Savvy and Phil, they were ranked 5th at over 23%.

Obviously the PP is not a strength at this point, but we tend to pile on and be a bit too demanding too.

Last edited by smithformeragent: 01-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:29 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
There's also a total inability to play pucks across the goal mouth. You watch the Sharks or Wild, they have set plays where they can actually get the pucks into the blue paint for rebounds or tip ins. That never happens with Boston.
True. I think it's a symptom of the fact that they rarely work the puck down low on the PP. It's half-wall, point the majority of the time. The shots that they take are low percentage shots, often contested, from outside prime scoring areas. There is nothing wrong with working the puck high to low, working it behind the net, actually using the net as another forward. When you work it down low, it forces the PKers to collapse, and then the rest of the zone is opened up for point shots, etc.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Remember when Chara used to sneak in for the back door play? I used to love that.
As did I. Chara is best suited to playing the majority of the PP off the puck. When you are depending on him to set up in the zone and distribute the puck, he is not at his best. But when he is looking for seams and getting the occasional one-timer, he's pretty good.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Suggestion: Shoot the puck rather than look for the perfect play.

Simple.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post

Simple.
This is why I was seriously advocating sending the Merlot line out on the PP. It's getting to the point where they just need a funny bounce or a deflection to get a PPG. I'd rather just get 4 or 5 SOG than spend 30 seconds trying to set it up and pick a corner just to see the puck sail wide or hit a leg and exit the zone.

Simplify things.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
SpitfireIX

More Dougie.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Colt.45Orr

Suggestion for the powerplay:

Ryan Spooner

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
More Dougie.
and shooting

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:49 PM
missingchicklet

Quote:

Simple.
I agree with this more than anything. When you have a man advantage it gets a lot easier to put in a rebound. I see way too many times where a Bruin passes up a decent chance to shoot with a teammate in front of the net, but elects to keep cycling the puck instead. The Coyotes are not one of the more talented teams, but if you watch them they shoot from all angles, and try to keep the pressure on. That gives them many good put back opportunities. I wish the Bs would do that on their pp. They are too talented to have such an anemic pp at times.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Or, once a minor is assessed. Send Thornton out to take the faceoff. Puck drops, punch opposing center right in the face, and go 4 on 4.

Not practical. But it would be hilarious.
God i wish teams had the option to deny a power play. Damn thing is a momentum killer.

Arguing about how to fix the PP is like arguing how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. Who cares.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:02 PM
duckchobbins

I actually don't think it's looked completely terrible at times. I just can't stand when the point men play catch for 30 seconds while the three forwards stand still.

As much as I hate blocked shots, I prefer they just get 2 guys (if not 3) to push towards the net as Chara blasts one in the vicinity of the goal. The puck has to bounce somewhere eventually. Heck, let Ference whip wristers for 2 minutes, he's fairly accurate.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Lobster57

I don't like when the 1st unit sets up with Horton or Lucic in the slot about 8-10 in front of the crease and then they try to set him up to shoot from there. Saw this a few times last night. have that guy get his big ol'butt right in front of the goalie and go for deflections and rebounds.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 AM
bruinmann77

Yes to shoot the puck more. Yes to dougie. Yes to Spooner a savard tyke passer and shooter

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
God i wish teams had the option to deny a power play. Damn thing is a momentum killer.

Arguing about how to fix the PP is like arguing how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. Who cares.
You can talk all day a/b it and nothing will change.

Why do I say that? Because they'll do something that works. Next PP they're right back to jamming a square peg into a round hole. It's like watching my wife parallel park.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 AM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:

Simple.
So true. The other night watching them on the PP in person I was shouting, SHOOT THE PUCK!! Just Shoot it!!! By the way they got their first PP goal that night. I agree, I think if you're PP isn't working so well and guys are pressing too much, than why not just shoot the puck on goal as often as you can and play for the bounces/deflections/rebounds.

I think they try so hard to get in the right positions that they mess it up. In other words they choke on the PP. The opposing teams just start seeing the play before it even happens. Its to slow and too stationary.. Move those feet guys! quick, quick, quick!!

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:07 AM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
You can talk all day a/b it and nothing will change.

Why do I say that? Because they'll do something that works. Next PP they're right back to jamming a square peg into a round hole. It's like watching my wife parallel park.
Right on..

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

After a 2.5 year sample size, at some point Chia has to be thinking personnel. If it was just a matter of formations, you could grab tape on the top 5 pp's in the nhl, absorb the knowledge, and apply. Obviously they'd have tried this ages ago. So at some point you have to accept that your team makeup just doesn't work on the PP. Then you decide how much that's going to cost you or not come playoff time. Last year and the year against Carolina, it 100% cost them their series.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
mashmont

Option A. More Chris Bourque.

Opttion B. More Obnoxious fans in the garden screaming SHOOT! Everytime anyone has the puck with a player clearly blocking the shooting lane.

mashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Fire Julien

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...23&feedID=3352

Julien: Power-play critics need to 'take a breath'

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...23&feedID=3352

Julien: Power-play critics need to 'take a breath'
YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Finally some perspective on this non issue -

I could throw a lot of things at you whether it was LA winning last year without a [good] power play or Tampa Bay not even practicing the power play this year because they know you cant win a Cup without strong five-on-five play. But I think people need to step back and maybe take a breath a little bit . . . and not make a mountain out of a power play. We want it to work well, but its not the end of the world. Were still winning hockey games.

How did that kick a$$ PP help the Bolts in game 7 of 2011?

A great PP wins you the Presidents trophy, a great PK wins you the cup.

Gimme a team that is top five in 5 on 5 scoring and top 5 in PK over a bunch of PP ****** any time.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Finally some perspective on this non issue -

I could throw a lot of things at you whether it was LA winning last year without a [good] power play or Tampa Bay not even practicing the power play this year because they know you cant win a Cup without strong five-on-five play. But I think people need to step back and maybe take a breath a little bit . . . and not make a mountain out of a power play. We want it to work well, but its not the end of the world. Were still winning hockey games.

How did that kick a$$ PP help the Bolts in game 7 of 2011?

A great PP wins you the Presidents trophy, a great PK wins you the cup.

Gimme a team that is top five in 5 on 5 scoring and top 5 in PK over a bunch of PP ****** any time.
The problem is that you never know what kind of ref'ing you're gonna get. Last couple years have been good, but with the garbage calls this year I'm afraid divers and whiners will be rewarded with countless PP opportunities. Even a great PK is sometimes bound to give up a couple of goals with 7-8 PP opportunities per game.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote