HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
lol Glenn Healy thinks Montreal is good for taking advantage of PK not having arb rights and Weeks says "the GM's I've talked to said they cannot believe Montreal is using these tactics".
Habs are well within their rights to do this, but it just looks bad. It's not something you do nowadays with a guy who was your #1 dman for the last 2 seasons.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Habs are well within their rights to do this, but it just looks bad. It's not something you do nowadays with a guy who was your #1 dman for the last 2 seasons.
He obviously isn't interested in attracting any free agents to MTL.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Yup. Loyalty is a two way street.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and players asking for 8 MIl instead of 7, or 7 instead of 6...
Top players.

Have you noticed that the cap has risen a lot quicker than the scale for player salaries?

The average salary got as high, but not high-end salaries.

Long-term contracts are signed with the present scale, and 5 years after that, with 2-3 years remaining on the contract, the cap will have risen by 25 to 40%, making the previous cap hit small, and the salary scale, because of comparative salaries on the open market, will not have risen as quickly. That might change a bit because contract length has been limited, which will give way to a salary scale that will increase much quicker, but the whole formula between the cap limit rising vs contract length will still give way to huge cap space that will be used in the future to keep the assets teams have, contrarily to the beginning of the cap era, as would've happened with the present Kings if the cap hadn't been rebooted to 64 mil next summer because of the change in revenue sharing between owners and players.

It's way too early in the cap era to even see a true trend of how to build teams. The only true trend is the same it ever was; draft well.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Just like you're within your right to pull a hammer and start destroying things in your own house but yeah...

Old
01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can't believe those tactics either. Really can't believe that this young GM, this GM of this new generation would do tactics like you'd see the old guys doing.

I will never say that I miss Gauthier nor Gainey 'cause I do believe they were bad for this organization.....but again, if all this happens to be true, I do wish we would have went in another direction.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can't believe those tactics either. Really can't believe that this young GM, this GM of this new generation would do tactics like you'd see the old guys doing.

I will never say that I miss Gauthier nor Gainey 'cause I do believe they were bad for this organization.....but again, if all this happens to be true, I do wish we would have went in another direction.
Man, I was of those who thought Bergevin was a good choice... but then again I was really happy with the Gainey hire...

Old
01-26-2013, 08:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Man, I was of those who thought Bergevin was a good choice... but then again I was really happy with the Gainey hire...
Gainey was a very good GM for several years.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I also felt that Bergevin was a fine choice. I'm not saying it isn't right now but it sure as hell doesn't look that good. The Gainey hiring was a good hiring when it happened....it just lasted too long.

Old
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:

Perhaps there is more to the story

Things Bergevin knows that we don't

I'm just speculating, but we never know

Old
01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Gainey was a very good GM for several years.
Quote:
The Gainey hiring was a good hiring when it happened....it just lasted too long.
Yeah.

Quote:
I also felt that Bergevin was a fine choice. I'm not saying it isn't right now but it sure as hell doesn't look that good.
Nothing irreparable has been done yet.. let's just hope he comes to his senses.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

Things may be indeed be exactly as they look, but it is not inconceivable that MB has had a trade lined up that requires a lot of cap manipulation. In this scenario he would ask PK to take a minimal cap hit now to be recompensed down the road.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'm trying to think of angles that might cause this seemingly unreasonable behavior by Bergevin - outside of his being a polished turd.

Of course the more sinister version of this is that PK is part of the trade and must be delivered at a low cap hit.

Last edited by groovejuice: 01-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
In hindsight, McGuire would have been better given how adamant he was about signing Subban. There is something unsettling about that. And I like McGuire.

Nonetheless, 'tis too soon to throw Bergevin under the bus. His regime will be defined by PK Subban though. Much in the same way people only remember Gainey for Gomez.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Things may be indeed be exactly as they look, but it is not inconceivable that MB has had a trade lined up that requires a lot of cap manipulation. In this scenario he would ask PK to take a minimal cap hit now to be recompensed down the road.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'm trying to think of angles that might cause this seemingly unreasonable behavior by Bergevin - outside of his being a polished turd.
If i have to take a long shot, i would think that there is a problem in the franchise, but above Bergevin.
And thats much worse.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
In hindsight, McGuire would have been better given how adamant he was about signing Subban. There is something unsettling about that. And I like McGuire.

Nonetheless, 'tis too soon to throw Bergevin under the bus. His regime will be defined by PK Subban though. Much in the same way people only remember Gainey for Gomez.
McGuire's job on the radio is to have opinions and a set mind on everything. 'Cause if he would always be on "Well let's analyse everything and I'll come back to you later"....he wouldn't be on radio. So it's easy for him to say he'll do this and that....not sure he'd be able to do it. And getting McGuire 'cause he'd settle the Subban thing wouldn't mean he wouldn't screw up elsewhere.

Frankly, if I would have been told that we "might" have another rough patch for the 2 or 3 years, I would have agreed to get McGuire. 'Cause rough patch for rough patch, might as well be entertained but mostly it would have time to put him to the test and see what he really can do as a GM.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:32 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

This is my opinion only. We have no facts.

The clues are there. He's not respected in the room. Not one team mate has said they miss him or that they could sure use him. Its more of a we will deal with it when it happens. He's an elite talent and will need to improve that aspect in the next year. He is being put in his place. When he comes back to the team he will need to show a certain maturity that doesn't rub his colleagues the wrong way. He will get his pay day soon enough.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:32 PM
TYLENOL

This thread is full of whiny babies, hating bergevin over a contract negotiation is pathetic.Us Hab fans are to impatient and depressing over everything.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
I didn't even know that I would hate a GM more than I hated Gauthier and Gainey but if Bergevin is really offering this AND if he trades him? He's on my list.
I'm already tired of him, so much for our new managements highly touted player evaluation skills.

These guys have a gem and don't even know it. For 2.5million per, Subban has every right to sit. This guy is an idiot.

Bring back Gauthier for christ sakes.

Last edited by habsfanatics: 01-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
If i have to take a long shot, i would think that there is a problem in the franchise, but above Bergevin.
And thats much worse.
Montreal is trapped in the "ole ways" and fancies buzzwords like "class" as though they represent anything. Every team is classy in their own individual way. The Habs simply refuse to modernize with the remaining twenty-nine teams and presume they can apply what worked two decades ago to today's generation. 'Tis like an old man arrogantly claiming he is smarter simply by virtue of being older.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
TYLENOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I'm already tired of him, so much for our new managements highly touted player evaluation skills.

These guys have a gem and don't even know it. For 2.5million per, Subban has ever right to sit. This guy is an idiot.

Bring back Gauthier for christ sakes.
Seriously, go cheer for another team. Your creating this mess in your own head.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Pleeeeeease mods, next thread should be called "Stop the madness!" or "Method to the madness"

PLEASE!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
yianik

Quote:
Yeah.

Nothing irreparable has been done yet.. let's just hope he comes to his senses.
Problem is since this has become an absolute zoo everybody is paying attention and if he is the one that blinks he may worry that he sets the stage for people to try to stare him down in future contract talks. If he had just given in up to a few weeks ago I dont think there would be a problem. Maybe people wouldve said he paid too much but it wouldnt be a deeper issue. Itd be easier for me to handle if MB was offering $4.5M to $5.5M depending on contract length but IF he really offered about $5M over 2 ( even as an opener let alone if hes still there ) then he would appear to be completely out in left field.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Pleeeeeease mods, next thread should be called "Stop the madness!" or "Method to the madness"

PLEASE!!!
At this rate, the next thread will only be open on Sunday, lol

Old
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
McGuire's job on the radio is to have opinions and a set mind on everything. 'Cause if he would always be on "Well let's analyse everything and I'll come back to you later"....he wouldn't be on radio. So it's easy for him to say he'll do this and that....not sure he'd be able to do it. And getting McGuire 'cause he'd settle the Subban thing wouldn't mean he wouldn't screw up elsewhere.

Frankly, if I would have been told that we "might" have another rough patch for the 2 or 3 years, I would have agreed to get McGuire. 'Cause rough patch for rough patch, might as well be entertained but mostly it would have time to put him to the test and see what he really can do as a GM.
Touche.

What I did like about McGuire is he was different. I had hoped Bergevin would be similar, and remain hopeful. Although, I am beginning to suspect the only reason he lost the job was because of that very reason. Management wanted to maintain the status quo and Bergevin fit their more ideal mold. I suppose time will tel if that becomes the case but if Subban is dealt, Montreal is a worse franchise for it.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

PLEASE!!!
With all the constant back and forth rumors. I say we call, "Everyday I'm shufflin'"

Closed Thread