HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

More valuable to the future of the franchise: henrique or larsson?

View Poll Results: Which player is more valuable to the future of the franchise?
Larsson 96 69.57%
Henrique 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Unknown Caller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I have not seen enough in Larsson yet to really feel we have a franchise type of player with him.

I wanted Hueberdeau to drop or for us to take Corey Murphy at the time. I hope Larsson proves me wrong.
The Devils had Corey Murphy already.

Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
The Devils had Corey Murphy already.
I know I meant Ryan.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
i

I know I meant Ryan.
I know

Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Jack Griffin

Larsson is probably the better player but Henrique is more valuable to the Devils. We have a ton of promising young defensemen in the system plus 6 good NHL defensmen. We have neither a strong group of NHL forwards or many promising forward prospects.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
lboogie42*

We don't have much offensive prospects, and a load of d prospects. That being said, henrique will be more valuable. He's also arguably the most clutch guy we have. Impressive when we also have Kovy and elias

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:12 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

I was wondering myself what it would take to get Ovi, now that washingtons freefalling...not that they would. but I wondered which prospect I would package a deal around, henrique or larsson..I couldn't answer it though, without knowing more about merril

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome2Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I was wondering myself what it would take to get Ovi, now that washingtons freefalling...not that they would. but I wondered which prospect I would package a deal around, henrique or larsson..I couldn't answer it though, without knowing more about merril
I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for ovechkin with that contract he has let alone our two future stars.

Welcome2Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:47 PM
DevilsAnimal*

I feel adam is the better player right now, but adam will have higher upside than adam

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
elias026

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
I feel adam is the better player right now, but adam will have higher upside than adam

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Semak

Larsson, and but Henrique is right on his heels thanks to his intangibles. If 3 of the young dmen prospects max out on potential, other fwds can be traded for.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
nope. enstrom is good offensively, excellent in transition, and a bit above average in his own zone. i think larsson will end up being excellent in his own zone, good transitionally, and a bit above average offensively. they'd make a fantastic pairing, actually.

larsson has all the tools to be a fantastic shutdown guy and minutes eater, but i don't see powerplay qb or 45 point d-man written all over him. i think those hopes are going to fall on merrill. he'll contribute offensively, but more in a 2nd pp unit and 20-30 points kind of way.

that said, i do think he's more valuable, to this franchise at least, than henrique.
Your description of Enstrom actually does sound a lot like Merrill's game. That's why I am also really excited to see him develop, hopefully he will make a good future partner for Larsson.

My hope is that Larsson-Merrill goes down as a legendary defence pairing for the Devils, spoken of with the same reverence as Stevens-Niedermayer (yes I know they were never on a pairing together). My more reasonable expectation is that they end up being a solid top pairing for the Devils for at least 5 years toward the end of this decade.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Your description of Enstrom actually does sound a lot like Merrill's game. That's why I am also really excited to see him develop, hopefully he will make a good future partner for Larsson.

My hope is that Larsson-Merrill goes down as a legendary defence pairing for the Devils, spoken of with the same reverence as Stevens-Niedermayer (yes I know they were never on a pairing together). My more reasonable expectation is that they end up being a solid top pairing for the Devils for at least 5 years toward the end of this decade.
They were on a pairing together briefly in the earlier years of the 90s.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Semak

If my head cold congested head is thinking straight, Nieds rookie year, he and Stevens played together. But I understand and agree with the idea. Bleedred can back/debunk me.

They guy I would like to see make it is Gelinas. Besides Chambers for a short time NJ has never really had a bomb from the point.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Devils86

Much deeper at defense. Not totally sold on Larsson's greatness yet

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:57 PM
devilsblood

Larsson. Given that he is younger, there is more of an unknown factor, but I'm feeling pretty positive about his upside.

And I'll take the opposite view of many in terms of surrounding team mates. Kovy will be our offensive leader for a good 4 to 5 years. He's a star player. Elias, still has a couple good years in him. Clarkson just notched 30 goals, and we have JJ and Matteau as good looking young players in the org.

But there is no star defensemen on this roster, there is no one with the upside of Larsson amongst the d prospects.

And end of the day I think answer to this question is, who will be the better player. And I think the #4 pick in the 2011 draft will prove to be that.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

So in a perfect Devils world in which both guys pan out, you'd pair them? And not run 2 defensive pairings with a dynamic player?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Enstrom is a much better skater then Larsson and Merrill.

I hope Merrill becomes a Markov type while Larsson a Suter clone.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Zippy316

With Zajac, Henrique is more important.

Larsson's ceiling as a #1 franchise defenseman far tops Henrique's ceiling. Henrique's likely to settle in as a 50-60 point all-purpose centerman, I doubt Henrique becomes more than that. With Larsson, the sky is the limit.

Larsson makes our defense that much more formidable in the future as well. Take Larsson out of the picture, and our future defense looks mediocre. With him, it looks pretty incredible.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
If my head cold congested head is thinking straight, Nieds rookie year, he and Stevens played together. But I understand and agree with the idea. Bleedred can back/debunk me.

They guy I would like to see make it is Gelinas. Besides Chambers for a short time NJ has never really had a bomb from the point.
Kurtis "Pylon" Foster.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
With Zajac, Henrique is more important.

Larsson's ceiling as a #1 franchise defenseman far tops Henrique's ceiling. Henrique's likely to settle in as a 50-60 point all-purpose centerman, I doubt Henrique becomes more than that. With Larsson, the sky is the limit.

Larsson makes our defense that much more formidable in the future as well. Take Larsson out of the picture, and our future defense looks mediocre. With him, it looks pretty incredible.
I'm thinking your misspeaking hear.

But I agree with your sentiment. People are thinking our glut at d diminishes Larssons value. but there is no one amongst our current D-men or our d prospects who can match Larssons upside. While there are numerous guys who will probably have better careers then Henrique, some of which have plenty left in the tank, already on the roster.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:04 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post

Sheldon Souray?

HenriquesJawLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 PM
NjDevsRR

Was Pronger a good skater? No, Larsson will be great for his passing abilities, hopefully his skating will improve but it wont make or break him.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:28 AM
lboogie42*

Henrique cuz of his clutch ability.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:47 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Both will be equally important IMO. One as the rock solid number 1 D man, and the other as the Captain.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Semak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Kurtis "Pylon" Foster.
That was a bad dream that we all collectively woke up from together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
Sheldon Souray?
He never really displayed it with any accuracy here. He had like 4 goals or something in his time here.

Last edited by Semak: 01-27-2013 at 08:49 AM.