HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 08:50 PM
DJ Omnimaga

vCash: 500
By the way, the Sens and Sharks played in 10-11K seats arenas for a few years before moving to new arenas. It's entirely possible that the NHL would allow them to play in KeyArena for a few seasons if a new arena breaks ground.

That said, Quebec's arena will most likely be finished before Seattle, assuming the extreme -20 to -30°C cold weather Quebec just had doesn't occur every Winter for 2 entire months each (which would delay construction since they're not allowed to force workers to work under such conditions)

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
By the way, the Sens and Sharks played in 10-11K seats arenas for a few years before moving to new arenas. It's entirely possible that the NHL would allow them to play in KeyArena for a few seasons if a new arena breaks ground.

That said, Quebec's arena will most likely be finished before Seattle, assuming the extreme -20 to -30°C cold weather Quebec just had doesn't occur every Winter for 2 entire months each (which would delay construction since they're not allowed to force workers to work under such conditions)
Seattle is fortunately to not have that kind of weather patterns. Currently for basketball 13-14, 14-15 in Key than 15-16 in new arena is the plan however if there are delays it could be late 15- into 16 that the new arena would be done.

Last edited by gstommylee: 01-26-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
saffronleaf

I'm hoping the Coyotes solve their issues and stay in Phoenix. When the NHL is ready, and financially struggling teams are the exception as opposed to the norm, I'd love to see an expansion into Seattle and Quebec City. Hopefully all of this can occur within 20 years.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:15 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post

it is not necessary to bring hockey in as Seattle fans and others have consistently pointed out from the minute Hansen got the SODO Arena off and running, DJ, the whole issue around Seattle has been building said arena, after the relocation to OKC, as NFS also pointed out.

Key, also was renovated back in 78-79, forcing the Sonics to Tacoma, for that season

Old
01-26-2013, 10:18 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If the Maloof to Hansen deal for the Kings goes through, a new arena's getting built, so that's a non-issue. As for temporary arena, it may be woefully insufficient, but they'd use Key Arena. And finally, as for unproven market.... it may be, but it's also a very large market with a huge amount of corporate sponsorship capacity and in area of the U.S. untapped by the NHL, so the possible benefits very likely well outweigh the risks in the league's mind for Seattle.

All that being said though, the prospect of any market getting an NHL and an NBA team at the same time seems like it's just asking for both to suffer from split disposable income.

If the Yotes deal does fall through, I'd still rank Quebec City as the frontrunner for getting them, especially as you can better believe that PKP would be willing to spend a lot more to buy the team and pay relocation fees than a Seattle-based group. Then, in a few years, Seattle and Houston will land expansion teams.
Believe me No Fun Shogun I realize that Seattle is somewhere the NHL want's to be, huge corporate sponsorship potential, affluent city etc.

I look at similar sized city close to me, same size population as Seattle, slightly higher average personal income, has three major league teams and the NHL plus college sports. Trouble is NFL and MLB like in Seattle are #1 and #2, both the NBA and until this season the NHL, have had trouble selling out their respective venues. Until the Wild signed Parise and Suter getting tickets was never a problem and the team was using promotions to get rid of tickets.

Seattle would probably intially sell out both the NBA and NHL but with Seattle your also dealing with a popular MLS team as well, a five way split for fans, ticket sales, marketing and advertising dollars spreads thin even in cities the size of Seattle or Mpls/StPaul. So to say the NHL would work in Seattle, yes at first, long term??

Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Believe me No Fun Shogun I realize that Seattle is somewhere the NHL want's to be, huge corporate sponsorship potential, affluent city etc.

I look at similar sized city close to me, same size population as Seattle, slightly higher average personal income, has three major league teams and the NHL plus college sports. Trouble is NFL and MLB like in Seattle are #1 and #2, both the NBA and until this season the NHL, have had trouble selling out their respective venues. Until the Wild signed Parise and Suter getting tickets was never a problem and the team was using promotions to get rid of tickets.

Seattle would probably intially sell out both the NBA and NHL but with Seattle your also dealing with a popular MLS team as well, a five way split for fans, ticket sales, marketing and advertising dollars spreads thin even in cities the size of Seattle or Mpls/StPaul. So to say the NHL would work in Seattle, yes at first, long term??
And the Bruins are the fourth option in Boston after the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. The Red Wings are fourth in Detroit behind the Lions, the Tigers, and the Pistons. The Blackhawks are FIFTH in Chicago ffs behind the Bears, the Cubs, the Bulls, and the White Sox. Point being, you don't have to be the first, second, or third sports option in a market to be a successful franchise.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
And the Bruins are the fourth option in Boston after the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. The Red Wings are fourth in Detroit behind the Lions, the Tigers, and the Pistons. The Blackhawks are FIFTH in Chicago ffs behind the Bears, the Cubs, the Bulls, and the White Sox. Point being, you don't have to be the first, second, or third sports option in a market to be a successful franchise.
Boston, Detroit and Chicago are all part of original six NHL with a history of hockey going back to 1924 for Boston and 1926 for Detroit and Chicago, your going to compare Seattle to them?

Seattle may be like San Jose as an NHL market or it may be more like Kansas City, Cleveland, Florida or even Phoenix.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Boston, Detroit and Chicago are all part of original six NHL with a history of hockey going back to 1924 for Boston and 1926 for Detroit and Chicago, your going to compare Seattle to them?

Seattle may be like San Jose as an NHL market or it may be more like Kansas City, Cleveland, Florida or even Phoenix.
There's nothing special about those cities. With that attitude we'd still be in the O6 era and your city would have a team only in your pipe dreams. Bottom-line is Seattle isn't any different from any other comparable sized American city. If the Bruins can do fine as the fourth option in Boston than an NHL team can do fine as the fourth option in Seattle.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:52 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Seattle is somewhere the NHL want's to be, huge corporate sponsorship potential, affluent city etc.
It a tech city full of super stress out nerds who spend 10 to 15 hours a day coding away. The possitive viewpoint is that this crowd can use the safety valve of an exciting pros sports. The negative viewpoint is that they could not care less about what they consider to be "Jock Entertaiment".

Old
01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

Name an american city that has multiple sports where NHL is #1? Soccer has its own unique fanbase.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Name an american city that has multiple sports where NHL is #1? Soccer has its own unique fanbase.
San Jose.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
San Jose.
San Jose = suburb of San Francisco

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
San Jose = suburb of San Francisco
That's extraordinarily pedantic of you, but San Jose is actually larger than San Francisco in terms of population.

Not that my answer was serious anyway.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
That's extraordinarily pedantic of you, but San Jose is actually larger than San Francisco in terms of population.

Not that my answer was serious anyway.
There's probably more people living in the 'burbs of NYC than live in the city itself. Doesn't make much difference does it? NYC is still the major player not the 'burbs.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Et le But

The other advantage Seattle has - it's close to the Canadian border. And yes that matters, look at the impact Windsor has on Detroit.

Seattle is also the closest city to another major metropolitan area without an NHL franchise - Portland.

So Seattle is in a good location for a franchise. This isn't Kansas City or Las Vegas, Seattle actually makes sense.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Semantics

Quote:
I live in the San Jose area... it's a suburb of SF.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:29 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
There's probably more people living in the 'burbs of NYC than live in the city itself. Doesn't make much difference does it? NYC is still the major player not the 'burbs.
By burbs do you mean boroughs? I'm not getting your example at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
By burbs do you mean boroughs? I'm not getting your example at all.
Burbs. As in "sub-urbs". Not boroughs. Burbs. Suburbs.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Material Defender

And now, back onto topic: Quebec City.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:39 AM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
NHL will get more on expansion fee alone for QC than what they would get from PKP in sale and relocation of the coyotes.
I still don't understand that argument.

Quote:
Does anyone really believe they would have started building a brand new 18K arena in QC without assurances from the NHL that a NHL team would go into it?
I do. Local politicians were under intense popular pressure to move forward with the project. Maybe you just like conspiracy theories but I think you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It a tech city full of super stress out nerds who spend 10 to 15 hours a day coding away. The possitive viewpoint is that this crowd can use the safety valve of an exciting pros sports. The negative viewpoint is that they could not care less about what they consider to be "Jock Entertaiment".
Man, this deserves at least a facepalm. I know it's supposed to be a joke, but wow.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

The argument is that the league gets more money by waiting a year or two. Quebec will still be there, I think.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

I spotted the Milwaukee Admirals wearing these just
after Christmas this year... dont know why. Anyone?

www.facebook.com/photo.php?.fb...type=3&theater

(link doesnt work, but its "out there", Diques uni's...)

Old
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
This was meant as a joke I hope. Otherwise you do not know Seattle at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Undertakerqc

Seattle is not ready, it has a terrible losing money pit in Key arena has a temporary arena. No clear owner for the hockey club, and PKP has been lobying with the NHL for more then 3 years, and decided to invest a ton of his own money on the arena. He and mayor Labeaume have been extremely quites since last summer. Its pretty blatant to me that he has been told he is getting the next team available. The NHL has told many people they would never play a game at Key Arena. To me ,its clear that Seattle and Markham are expansion bound.

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

The Red Wings are behind the Pistons? Have you seen the attendance at a Pistons game in the past 5 years?

Closed Thread