HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 10:20 PM
  #1
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

The Leafs aren't just missing a #1 centre. They are missing a lot of pieces. They are missing size. They are missing stability on the backend. They are missing EFFORT from their best offensive player. They are missing focus. They are missing 4th line players who can ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE and are not a liability when they are on the ice. They are missing stability in net. They are missing a #1 defenceman. They are missing a #2 defenceman. The Leafs absolutely hung Reimer out to dry tonight, and it was embarrassing to watch.

It's been 10 years of this garbage.

10 years, folks.

What are the steps to right the ship? Finish in the bottom 5? Trade assets for prospects?

Yes people, I know its been 5 games, and that's not a lot. But wer'e seeing the SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, that we have seen for YEARS NOW! How many times, how many flipping times have we seen the EXACT same goal as the Rangers scored for their first goal tonight. Shot from the point. A rebound - opposition players given free reign in front of the net to whack away at the puck as they please - no dmen clearing them out, no dmen even tying up their sticks, and lazy backchecking from the forwards. It's the SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE, people. It's been 5 games but it might as well be 100 games, because this team has not changed.


Last edited by ULF_55: 01-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:23 PM
  #2
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,310
vCash: 500
Pretty much, yeah.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
  #3
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 500
The title of the thread is the EXACT thought that came to my mind just before I came to Hf right now. Nailed it.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
  #4
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,532
vCash: 500
This fan base is my problem. I've never been more annoyed than I am this year.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 PM
  #5
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,890
vCash: 500
Yes this is frustrating. The reality is we need to reset our expectations for another 2 to 5 years before this will be a competitive team.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 PM
  #6
Woll Smoth
Registered User
 
Woll Smoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
This team is dreadful down to the core.

Kessel should be the 3rd best forward on a good team. He's simply not good enough to lead a team. We have a forward ground built around an elite complimentary player.

Strip it down and start again. The Kessel trade has been the worst thing that could have possibly happened to this team.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
  #7
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
We need to get the big pieces from the draft. Big name ufa's aren't coming here, and teams aren't going to be trading them without getting a ransom back.

I don't know what else to say really, last thing this team needs is Luongo to help us finish 9th.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
  #8
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This fan base is my problem. I've never been more annoyed than I am this year.
The fan base didn't cause the travesty of the last two games.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  #9
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This fan base is my problem. I've never been more annoyed than I am this year.
Why is there something different this season? It's always been like this and seriously why shouldn't it be that way? Myself I couldn't care less if they lost every game if we developed some young players and got a great draft pick. But then I will get labelled a tanker. Personally I'm happy with the status quo. Win or lose with these players,no dumb trades or quick fixes.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  #10
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 500
I'm usually the guy who has the mindset of one player away (either #1C or goalie) but after seeing these games, I'm thinking its time to completely bottom out if we want to get a great team.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  #11
Yobbles
Devils/Hawks
 
Yobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
In other news: The sky is blue.

Yobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  #12
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv
 
MapleLeafs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
This fan base is my problem. I've never been more annoyed than I am this year.
Why? Why are you annoyed? Because we're right?

How can anyone be fine with Carlyle playing a 27 year old rookie 25-32 minutes a game when it is clear he doesn't deserve it?

How can anyone expect Phaneuf to lead this team when he is so incompetent at his own position?

How can anyone be fine with our best offensive player put in the effort like he did tonight?

How can we be fine with Bozak as our 1st line centre?

This team is just not good enough, like the title says....Since 2005 we've been looking at non-playoff teams year after year.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  #13
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,778
vCash: 500
I have a serious question. I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not being flippant.

But, again - seriously - how many years does it take to conclude that it's not working with Kessel and Phaneuf as the focal points of your team?

I like Phil Kessel and I like Dion Phaneuf. I think both are excellent NHL players that would excel on good team. Just imagine Phaneuf on the Rangers. Or Kessel with the Kings. Wow, is what I think.

However, at some point does management not have to look at this situation and conclude it's not working with them as focal points? How long does it take to come to the conclusion that they both would be better off in support roles? And what happens when management does reach that conclusion? Is that when a full rebuild begins?

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
  #14
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Yup Rags totally dominated the Leafs. So much size and skill. Leafs have pretty much no size and a bit of skill. Leafs need to get some guys who can win puck battles in the boards get pucks in deep, back check and not be a defensive liability.

Kessel ain't any of that and he's supposed to be a our go to premium player.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
  #15
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I have a serious question. I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not being flippant.

But, again - seriously - how many years does it take to conclude that it's not working with Kessel and Phaneuf as the focal points of your team?

I like Phil Kessel and I like Dion Phaneuf. I think both are excellent NHL players that would excel on good team. Just imagine Phaneuf on the Rangers. Or Kessel with the Kings. Wow, is what I think.

However, at some point does management not have to look at this situation and conclude it's not working with them as focal points? How long does it take to come to the conclusion that they both would be better off in support roles? And what happens when management does reach that conclusion? Is that when a full rebuild begins?
Might as well stick with them. Both of them will be gone when (or if) this team ever turns the corner.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  #16
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I have a serious question. I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not being flippant.

But, again - seriously - how many years does it take to conclude that it's not working with Kessel and Phaneuf as the focal points of your team?

I like Phil Kessel and I like Dion Phaneuf. I think both are excellent NHL players that would excel on good team. Just imagine Phaneuf on the Rangers. Or Kessel with the Kings. Wow, is what I think.

However, at some point does management not have to look at this situation and conclude it's not working with them as focal points? How long does it take to come to the conclusion that they both would be better off in support roles? And what happens when management does reach that conclusion? Is that when a full rebuild begins?
Some excellent points you raise, and I'm starting to see the light personally.

Maybe the intention was never to have these guys as the FOCAL points on the team, but guess what, they are. And until that changes, I don't think we can win.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  #17
Foot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yes this is frustrating. The reality is we need to reset our expectations for another 2 to 5 years before this will be a competitive team.
Thats what you said 5 years ago.

Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:35 PM
  #18
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Might as well stick with them. Both of them will be gone when (or if) this team ever turns the corner.
But if management concludes that it can't work with them as focal points, should they not try and move them to other organizations to maximize their value?

When you say they will be "gone" when the team "turns the corner". Do you mean you want the Leafs to stick with them and just let them leave as free agents?

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
  #19
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,824
vCash: 500
They played a structured game tonight despite missing a few key guys (gardiner, lupul). Got beat by a a good team, simple as that. No need to have an aneurism after every loss.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
  #20
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,532
vCash: 500
A culture change might be what this team needs. Maybe it is changed by trading Phaneuf and Kessel and rebuilding. Who knows. But whining and crying on an Internet forum is not gonna change anything and if you are truly down to tank this season, try not to ***** this much after every loss.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
  #21
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Some excellent points you raise, and I'm starting to see the light personally.

Maybe the intention was never to have these guys as the FOCAL points on the team, but guess what, they are. And until that changes, I don't think we can win.
I disagree with you a bit. I believe it was Burke's intention to have them the focal point of his team in Toronto. Kessel would be his number one forward. Phaneuf would be his number one defense man and he was planning to find a goalie (initially the Monster and then later Reimer after he played so well) to be the third focal point of his team.

As a strategy it wasn't really that wild. Both Kessel and Phaneuf of enormously talented hockey players. And nobody can really tell that a player is not capable of being a focal point of an organization until they're given that chance.

I'm just curious about when they conclude that it's not working and move on.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
  #22
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv
 
MapleLeafs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
They played a structured game tonight despite missing a few key guys (gardiner, lupul). Got beat by a a good team, simple as that. No need to have an aneurism after every loss.
No, there was nothing structured about tonight's game. You're not playing a structured game if they are in your zone 80% of the game and the shots are 42-16. The score would have so much worse if Reimer didn't play such a good game.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
  #23
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,508
vCash: 500
You would think a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2004 would have a great farm system.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
  #24
Cool Hand Luke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I have a serious question. I'm not being sarcastic. And I'm not being flippant.

But, again - seriously - how many years does it take to conclude that it's not working with Kessel and Phaneuf as the focal points of your team?

I like Phil Kessel and I like Dion Phaneuf. I think both are excellent NHL players that would excel on good team. Just imagine Phaneuf on the Rangers. Or Kessel with the Kings. Wow, is what I think.

However, at some point does management not have to look at this situation and conclude it's not working with them as focal points? How long does it take to come to the conclusion that they both would be better off in support roles? And what happens when management does reach that conclusion? Is that when a full rebuild begins?
Winner. Post of the decade.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
  #25
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
No, there was nothing structured about tonight's game. You're not playing a structured game if they are in your zone 80% of the game and the shots are 42-16. The score would have so much worse if Reimer didn't play such a good game.
The score would have been much worse if 50% of the shots weren't from outside the slot from poor shooting angles. Reimer did his part tonight despite letting in as many as he did.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.