HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
I only see Agostino turning pro next year if he has already completed his course work for his degree a year early.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Al Smith

Bennett out last night and tonight with a "minor injury." With the Penguins recent luck on injuries, he'll be back for the Spring playoff run.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:28 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Eaton with an assist on the PP tonight. I'm glad to see he's back but not at the expense of Morrow's PP time. Does anybody know which PP Morrow plays on and where he stands on the depth chart currently in WBS ?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Eaton with an assist on the PP tonight. I'm glad to see he's back but not at the expense of Morrow's PP time. Does anybody know which PP Morrow plays on and where he stands on the depth chart currently in WBS ?
saw this.

Highland Park Hockey ‏@H_P_Hockey
Payerl-Sill-Kostopoulos and Eaton-Samuelsson on the first unit on this power play.

i'm guessing the grinders + old men are getting some kind of reward.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Jacob

Weird how last night Eaton was credited with a goal that later went to Sill and today Sill was credited with an assist that later went to Eaton. Life, right??

Old
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
saw this.

Payerl-Sill-Kostopoulos and Eaton-Samuelsson on the first unit on this power play.

Good lord.........

Old
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
saw this.

WTF, that's pretty sad. I'm livid...

And then we wonder why some of our prospects don't develop any offensive skill properly. Poor Morrow.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
saw this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Good lord.........

I agree.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

I agree.
Its Funny and Sad at the same time.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Its Funny and Sad at the same time.
True.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Samuelsson on the PP over Morrow? This organization is starting to drive me crazy.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I guess it's either Ulf's kid is doing a little better this year or none of our coaches at any level have a clue what they're doing anymore...

Old
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Maybe they just got their PK and PP lines mixed up.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
clefty
What?

It was the second unit.

They've been playing well as a third line, so they doubled up as the second powerplay. And it worked.

Don't believe anything that JB doesn't say.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i'm guessing it's an aberration. here's what Jonathan Bombulie had to say:

Quote:
Adam Payerl, Zach Sill and Tom Kostopoulos played together on an effective third line, so effective in fact that those three played up front on the second power-play unit and cashed in for an important insurance goal in the third. It was an impressive effort by Payerl, who took a shot from the high slot, split two defenders to get his stick on the rebound and scored.
i'm going to hold off before i start face-palming.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
It was the second unit.

They've been playing well as a third line, so they doubled up as the second powerplay. And it worked.

Don't believe anything that JB doesn't say.
Yeah I jumped the gun a bit. Who was on the first unit then?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If you look at the +/- tab on the boxscore next to the goal, it will show you what players were on the ice (on the AHL site, and on some of the junior sites, as well). It showed 3 Dmen on the one goal: Samuelsson, Dumoulin and Eaton.

That is certainly a curious mix to be sure, and perhaps it was during an odd line change, or perhaps they were utilizing a bigger body (i.e. Samuelsson or Dumoulin) as a net-front guy.

Anyway, we can, if we want, be disappointed that Morrow isn't getting all the PP time; but I'm going to try to look at the brighter side of the equation. We all know that Morrow should be a really good player for us eventually, although it may take a bit longer for him to develop than some here expected (I thought he would see a full 2 or 3 seasons in the AHL before seriously challenging for a job anyway).

But what is the other part of the story here is the potential re-emergence of Philip Samuelsson as a top prospect for this hockey club. When watching Philip in last summer's prospect camp, and then the full training camp, I thought this was a guy who looked like more of a fringe prospect who would never really have a future with this team. So while that still might be the case, it now appears that there's also a chance that Samuelsson could be back in the conversation as not only a guy with NHL upside, but perhaps even one of our better Dmen prospects. Here's to hoping that is a trend that continues. (and I don't mind guys like Morrow or Dumoulin having to fight a little harder for playing time. I think they have the character to benefit from that kind of situation).

Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
If you look at the +/- tab on the boxscore next to the goal, it will show you what players were on the ice (on the AHL site, and on some of the junior sites, as well). It showed 3 Dmen on the one goal: Samuelsson, Dumoulin and Eaton.

That is certainly a curious mix to be sure, and perhaps it was during an odd line change, or perhaps they were utilizing a bigger body (i.e. Samuelsson or Dumoulin) as a net-front guy.

Anyway, we can, if we want, be disappointed that Morrow isn't getting all the PP time; but I'm going to try to look at the brighter side of the equation. We all know that Morrow should be a really good player for us eventually, although it may take a bit longer for him to develop than some here expected (I thought he would see a full 2 or 3 seasons in the AHL before seriously challenging for a job anyway).

But what is the other part of the story here is the potential re-emergence of Philip Samuelsson as a top prospect for this hockey club. When watching Philip in last summer's prospect camp, and then the full training camp, I thought this was a guy who looked like more of a fringe prospect who would never really have a future with this team. So while that still might be the case, it now appears that there's also a chance that Samuelsson could be back in the conversation as not only a guy with NHL upside, but perhaps even one of our better Dmen prospects. Here's to hoping that is a trend that continues. (and I don't mind guys like Morrow or Dumoulin having to fight a little harder for playing time. I think they have the character to benefit from that kind of situation).
Jmelm, do you know if Dumoulin is waiver-eligible next year? Just wondering if we will be in the same situation as we were with Strait & Bortuzzo this season.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Dangles78

Dumoulin is NOT waiver eligible next year. He has quite a ways until that becomes an issue. In all honestly, I expect him to be in the lineup by the time those rules kick in.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:22 AM
The Old Master

Quote:

But what is the other part of the story here is the potential re-emergence of Philip Samuelsson as a top prospect for this hockey club. When watching Philip in last summer's prospect camp, and then the full training camp, I thought this was a guy who looked like more of a fringe prospect who would never really have a future with this team. So while that still might be the case, it now appears that there's also a chance that Samuelsson could be back in the conversation as not only a guy with NHL upside, but perhaps even one of our better Dmen prospects. Here's to hoping that is a trend that continues. ).
from someone thats doesn't know the facts [has that ever stoped anyone before] it could be that the coach was just unhappy with his play so he put someone else in his place? not because they are better or have more upside, but just to send a message.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
IMO he thinks the game well and competes hard. He just really needs to clean up his skating. I think its the root of a lot of his problems. Kind of like Scuds before he became The Piece.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:29 AM
JTG

I never really doubted anything about Samuelsson, aside from his skating, and the times I've seen him in the past, it was pretty sub-par. I did see him this season though and I thought he had improved upon it. I wouldn't count the kid out, as he has a lot of resources at his disposal with a Dad being a coach, and a long time NHL'er. If he wants to learn and get better, there's no shortage of people who would want to help.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Yeah I jumped the gun a bit. Who was on the first unit then?
Think the first unit was Dumoulin - Grant on the back end with Smith - Hozapfel - Kolarik up front. The D pairing from the 2nd unit was Eaton - Morrow/Samuelsson, I know Morrow has had a rough start to his AHL career but the PP is his bread and butter so he should be at least a fixture on the 2nd unit IMO. Samuelsson's had a solid season but I don't think he's ever going to have enough offensive ability to warrant PP time even at the AHL level.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:29 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Think the first unit was Dumoulin - Grant on the back end with Smith - Hozapfel - Kolarik up front. The D pairing from the 2nd unit was Eaton - Morrow/Samuelsson, I know Morrow has had a rough start to his AHL career but the PP is his bread and butter so he should be at least a fixture on the 2nd unit IMO. Samuelsson's had a solid season but I don't think he's ever going to have enough offensive ability to warrant PP time even at the AHL level.
I don't understand what you're saying. Why would we put our prospects in their positions of strength so they succeed?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I don't understand what you're saying. Why would we put our prospects in their positions of strength so they succeed?
Morrow seems to be on a really short leash, I've seen him benched a couple of times for the same mistakes that the vets have been making all year. I guess that's what they mean by teaching the system at all levels.

Closed Thread