HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens-Flames

Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
The Flames are going to have that forced upon them in the next couple of years.

Again, the Flames are going to feel what a bottom feeder rebuild feels like, and soon. Everyone knows it but the KoolAid drinkers.

Thank you. Someone sees what I do.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Honour Over Glory

Did someone say Maatta would be available? Seriously?

*facepalm*

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post

*facepalm*
For Stempniak? I don't think so. But, he **** well better be if we were talking about someone like Glencross.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Fenixx

vCash: 1075
I think Glencross is the perfect player for Sid's line, but I cannot see the Flames parting with him at all. Would take too much to make it worth while.

Fenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post

*facepalm*
At some point, Shero is going to need to trade one of these kids to acquire a significant player to fill a gaping hole. I don't see Morrow being that guy since he was so close to making the club last year out of training camp. I don't see Pouliott being the guy either since Shero traded all the way up to get him, Sutter and Dumoulin, while passing on probably better fits. Harrington has made major strides in his game since being chosen in the second round, so ... no one should be shocked if Matta is the guy that is dealt first. Who knows what happens, but ...

Old
01-26-2013, 09:20 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixx View Post
I think Glencross is the perfect player for Sid's line, but I cannot see the Flames parting with him at all. Would take too much to make it worth while.
Big fan of Glencross without question. He is one of two Flames I would love to have as a Penguin.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

There is some ridiculous flaming going on in this thread.

Anyways, I could see myself eventually taking Stempniak for a 2nd. Adds another RHS, decent defensively, and can score in bunches. Gives us more options than we have at the moment. Obviously ideally we would like a someone better but there is a great possibility of limited options at the deadline. Just for kicks I would probably offer prospect (Jeffery or someone like) + 3rd for him but that's just me being greedy.

This is a good thought for a plan C.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I wanted Stempniak a few years ago when he was available. I thought he could be an under the radar Sykora type of acquisition that worked for a few years before Sykora really fell off.

Trading for him this year is something to keep in mind. Pens have a lot of cap space and assets to go after a bigger fish but Stempniak is a decent fallback option.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
If Stempniak keeps playing the way he is right now, his value is only gonna get higher. But he might have to get traded since Bartschi is buried down the depth chart, should be in the top 6, and is too good for the AHL. Stempniak is gonna be the odd man out but I'm thinking it will be for a defenseman of equal value, as opposed to a pick or prospect.

As for Glencross, I don't think you could drag him out of Alberta. Nor would Calgary ever want to.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
If Paul Gaustad is worth a 1st round pick, then Stempniak is easily worth a 2nd. They are different players and Gaustad has other strengths, but Stempniak in his worst season was better offensively than Gaustad was in his best. Hell if Gaustad's trade is a sign of the times Stempniak might even return a 1st himself.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:56 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
There is some ridiculous flaming going on in this thread.

Anyways, I could see myself eventually taking Stempniak for a 2nd. Adds another RHS, decent defensively, and can score in bunches. Gives us more options than we have at the moment. Obviously ideally we would like a someone better but there is a great possibility of limited options at the deadline. Just for kicks I would probably offer prospect (Jeffery or someone like) + 3rd for him but that's just me being greedy.

This is a good thought for a plan C.
Jeffrey isn't a prospect anymore. He is more a suspect.

Stemp is a plan C type indeed. I would be very disappointed in Shero if he gave up a valuable piece for him. I would want someone better.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:07 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
If Paul Gaustad is worth a 1st round pick, then Stempniak is easily worth a 2nd. They are different players and Gaustad has other strengths, but Stempniak in his worst season was better offensively than Gaustad was in his best. Hell if Gaustad's trade is a sign of the times Stempniak might even return a 1st himself.

As I say, all it takes is one idiot GM to say yes. Handing over a first for Gaustad was the most idiotic thing going. What exactly are Gaustad's strengths except winning face-offs and adding some toughness? God knows he can't put any points on the board. I sure hope Stemp in his worst season was better offensively. Crosby could play 16 games a year to Gaustad's 80 and still manage more points.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
As I say, all it takes is one idiot GM to say yes. Handing over a first for Gaustad was the most idiotic thing going. What exactly are Gaustad's strengths except winning face-offs and adding some toughness? God knows he can't put any points on the board. I sure hope Stemp in his worst season was better offensively. Crosby could play 16 games a year to Gaustad's 80 and still manage more points.
Gaustad is a very good defensive player and penalty killer. There is more to the game than simply goals and points, you learn this when you watch the stats sheet less and the sheet of ice more.

My point was their values are likely similar, so a 2nd for Stempniak is harldy bad value as you seem to suggest. Now don't get me started on all the mediocre players that have returned 2nd round picks in recent years. When the deadline comes around every GM trying to improve their team is forced to overpay, its the nature of the game.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:26 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Gaustad is a very good defensive player and penalty killer. There is more to the game than simply goals and points, you learn this when you watch the stats sheet less and the sheet of ice more.

My point was their values are likely similar, so a 2nd for Stempniak is harldy bad value as you seem to suggest. Now don't get me started on all the mediocre players that have returned 2nd round picks in recent years. When the deadline comes around every GM trying to improve their team is forced to overpay, its the nature of the game.
I know all about the mediocre players at the deadline fetching higher values. We have seen this in Pittsburgh. Sound logic from a GM says no way in hell is Gaustad worth a first. He screams a third rounder at best and a tier B- prospect. I have watched Gaustad many times - too many. He doesn't do much for me. Agree to disagree on him.

If its up to me, I take Stemp for a second over Gaustad without question. But ...

Old
01-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Nah... If the Pens are dealing with the Flames I would hope it would be for Tanguay. In a deep draft thats the type of player I would want them to use a 2nd on.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:39 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Nah... If the Pens are dealing with the Flames I would hope it would be for Tanguay. In a deep draft thats the type of player I would want them to use a 2nd on.
I would be more tempted on a second round pick to Calgary for Tanguay. He is shades of what he once was in Colorado, but could be something Shero might be interested in. I wouldn't have a problem with this. His cap hit isn't bad for what he brings.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I would be more tempted on a second round pick to Calgary for Tanguay. He is shades of what he once was in Colorado, but could be something Shero might be interested in. I wouldn't have a problem with this. His cap hit isn't bad for what he brings.
He can still play and skate. The Pens badly need his poise on the wing.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:44 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
He can still play and skate. The Pens badly need his poise on the wing.
That is why I would be ok with it.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Adirondack Flames

@ Tanguay for a 2nd

thanks for the laugh

Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
DropIt

Tanguay would require a 1st + prospect

DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Tanguay would require a 1st + prospect
Then, that is a pass.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
ComixZone

....absolutely insanity that people think Tanguay could be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
....absolutely insanity that people think Tanguay could be had for a 2nd round draft pick.
insanity is a first plus a prospect for a 33 year old that has averaged 15 goals and 49 points over the last four years for three different teams. A first and a prospect for Pittsburgh, say a Morrow type, brings someone younger and better than Tanguay. I like him, but not for a first plus at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
i have a suggestion: go back to the posts mentioning Tanguay and actually read them this time.

they're not saying Tanguay is WORTH a 2nd round pick, they're saying they're better offering a 2nd round pick for Tanguay instead of Stempniak.

IMO it would be one of Pens' defensive prospects plus that 2nd or 3rd, but 1st + defensive prospect is just too steep for a player like Tanguay.

Last edited by domaug*: 01-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:58 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
i have a suggestion: go back to the posts mentioning Tanguay and actually read them this time.

they're not saying Tanguay is WORTH a 2nd round pick, they're saying they're better offering a 2nd round pick for Tanguay instead of Stempniak.

that doesn't mean they think he's WORTH a 2nd round pick.

IMO it would be one of Pens' defensive prospects plus that 2nd or 3rd, but 1st + defensive prospect is just too steep for a player like Tanguay.
I still have a hangup offering one of our best D-prospects for him.