HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Liferleafer
Feed the Chicken!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
This hasn't changed from when you started all this. The market isn't shrinking as you say, that is your perception.
I'd say right now, Philly and Chicago are not looking at aquiring Luongo. That would mean a shrinking market. I completely agree, having both goalies is great for you....no joke.I do wonder how many games Luongo wants to watch though as i think Schnieder is going to get the bulk this year.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Liferleafer
Feed the Chicken!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
I've watched all the leaf games this year and as a Canuck die hard I can admit the leafs haven't been bad at all this year. And their goaltending has 'on average' been pretty good. But I do feel they're playing better then they actually are (if that makes any sense) I will say even though goaltending hasn't been horrendous, if they had a veteran goalie, combined with how they're playing they'd be x2 as good
The Buffalo loss was Miller...not our goalie. The Isles loss...yup Scrivens sucked. Tonight...Jesus Christ in net wouldn't have saved us.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I simply asked what it would do to Roberto's value if James Reimer proves that he's capable of carrying the load in Toronto.
You think it would take a year to a year and a half of sustained good play for Reimer to prove that. Luongo will be traded in the next 8 months. I don't see it playing a factor.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Liferleafer
Feed the Chicken!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
You think it would take a year to a year and a half of sustained good play for Reimer to prove that. Luongo will be traded in the next 8 months. I don't see it playing a factor.
Agreed. If Nonis wants Luongo; what Reimer does in the next few games is irrelevant.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'd say right now, Philly and Chicago are not looking at aquiring Luongo. That would mean a shrinking market. I completely agree, having both goalies is great for you....no joke.I do wonder how many games Luongo wants to watch though as i think Schnieder is going to get the bulk this year.
I don't think a few games here or there have greatly altered the market.

You can continue to hope it has shrunk and somehow forces Gillis to take a bad deal from your leafs, but I don't think it will.

He's got a specific target and is under no pressure to panic right now. You know this, so do I.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
SherVaughn30

Quote:
In Chicago's case, at 5-0, they won't be considering a deal for Lu. Edm maybe, does Lu waive for there? Wash is s different animal, like TO and FLA; there problems are much deeper than goaltending. Also, Gillis waiting might cost him, FLA is already 1-5 i believe, Wash 1-4, a couple more losses and they may just throw in the towel. If i'm Mike, i'm trying to close a deal right now.
McPhee would only make a deal if he comes out on top. He always tries to take advantage of the other GM. Also, McPhee does not like long contracts, except for core players like Backstrom, Laich and Ovechkin. Besides, Caps have Holtby, Neuvirth and Grubauer. As an organization(a terrible one at that), they said they would build the team a lot more through the draft and less so through trades and free agency.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
I don't think it's certain that Roberto is traded in the next 8 months.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Thanks for the Chrystal ball predictions

Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherVaughn30 View Post
McPhee would only make a deal if he comes out on top. He always tries to take advantage of the other GM. Also, McPhee does not like long contracts, except for core players like Backstrom, Laich and Ovechkin. Besides, Caps have Holtby, Neuvirth and Grubauer. As an organization(a terrible one at that), they said they would build the team a lot more through the draft and less so through trades and free agency.
Don't all GM's try to come out in top? Every GM wants to take advantage.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Nothing is certain when it comes to player movements, but this is as close to guaranteed as it comes. He doesn't want to be back next year splitting time with Cory, and we don't have the cap to bring him back. He'll be gone by the start of next season.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Reimer played well tonight. Hard to give your team a chance to win when they seem disinterested in winning. However I don't think Reimer's play thus far has had any bearing on whether or not Nonis makes a deal.
MAybe Carlye needs to realize that Phaneuf and Kostak are not Pronger and Niedermayer. They both played over 30 minutes!!! Way too much for them.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Nash

Quote:
Question for Nucks fans, (no trolling) with Chi being 5-0, Bryz bring solid in his last 3, Edm looking good so far....does it worry you that you may be back to the 2 original favoured teams (FLA/TO)? Tallon doesn't seem to be any more interested and Nonis has said he won't pay. (and Luongo won't waive for TO).

Vankiller seems to think the market is growing, right now it seems to be shrinking.
Not worried at all. If the trade wasn't going to happen in the week between the CBA and the first game, most Canucks fans realize that the likeliest times Luongo gets traded are at the quarter mark of the season (when teams evaluate where they are), the trade deadline, or at the draft/offseason.

The market is fluid and can change at any given time. Sure a few teams aren't looking great, but it's way too early to panic and most of them have issues aside from goaltending.

Things can change quickly though. There are no absolutes. That being said, I've never believed Luongo would end up in Toronto. There would be years and years of media scrutiny for Gillis and the team to face in trading our franchise goaltender to the center of the hockey universe.

Once Nonis removed a couple bad players/contracts from the roster and let the kids finally play, it was pretty clear. Now Lupul is injured. I don't know how bad MacArthur's lacerated finger is either. Kessel is snake bitten. This clearly isn't a team ready to push for a playoff spot. And really, it would seem completely against the moves Nonis has made this far to trade for Luongo. Lets not even get into the fact that the prospects Vancouver would covet seem to be off the table.

There seems to be a perception that Vancouver is weak on centers with Kesler injured and has no second line. I don't think we are nearly as bad off as some assume. I was really confident in Schroeder being ready to make a jump to the NHL this year and he is proving me right thus far, albeit in a very small sample size. However, he is defensively responsible and very fast. He already seems to have more trust from AV in the minutes he has been given compared to what Hodgson was given last year. The play of him, Kassian and Tanev has alleviated much of whatever worry Canucks fans had about the team with Kesler and Booth out. If anything, it is creating a potential situation where there will be at least 10 guys capable of playing in the top 9. Sedin-Sedin-Kassian, Burrows-Kesler-Booth, Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, Malholtra-Lapierre-Higgins. Higgins was a 40 point guy last year.

Other than trading for an upgrade on Booth for the second line, I like our line up. Our top 4 D are a very dynamic group who provide more offense than almost any other team. Ballard is finally healthy and has looked more like the player we traded for than the guy who has stumbled through the past couple seasons. It helps that Tanev is such a stable and steadying force back there. They have great chemistry and have one of the best pairs we have had this year. I certainly don't want a stop gap 2nd/3rd line tweener. So really, any trade for Luongo would likely be prospects, picks and a backup since Lack is injured.

Vancouver can afford to wait and Luongo is prepared to wait for the offseason. Zero reason to worry.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Wizeman*

The only thing we are getting for Luongo is futures.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Source?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I am. Reimer's been decent, but he hasn't played great either. It seems worse for Florida, obviously, letting in 6 goals(not watching that game though), but overall the market for goaltending is greater now than it was at the start of the season, imo.
Vankiller, if you watched the Florida games, which I know you haven't. You would know the chance of Luongo coming to our team is shrinking, not growing. The only reason we would pay up to acquire him is if we had a team that could compete right now. And as of now, I doubt we could make the playoffs in the AHL. We are terrible. And Luongo wouldn't do a single thing. Theodore has been great and will continue to give us a chance every night. The absolute last thing we need to do is give away our future. Our prospects are the only thing stopping Panther fans from killing themselves. This Flyers game was so embarrassing, I'm ashamed to be a Panthers fan right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
rune74

Edmonton is losing to calgary now, dubnyk gave up 3 so far...lets hope he gives up a few more.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
RECsGuy*

Luongo Sweepstakes leaderboard:

1. Islanders - offense is showing up, but Nabokov/DiPietro aren't; at end of season, they will have no one capable of starting; could stop being a joke and start being a nightly threat with an elite goalie; contest vs. Jets tomorrow will be huge

2. Lightning - offense is showing up, but Lindback isn't proving that he is a starter; having stars like Stamkos and St. Louis means you go for the Stanley Cup every year, and they aren't contenders with that duo; may be thin on available assets

3. Maple Leafs - need Luongo BAD, perhaps more than any team, but don't have the assets to get him

4. Capitals - weak goaltending duo, but they've got problems all over the place

5. Panthers - weak goaltending duo, but they can try out Markstrom before going the trade route; plus, they've got bigger problems than goaltending

Old
01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Vankiller, if you watched the Florida games, which I know you haven't. You would know the chance of Luongo coming to our team is shrinking, not growing. The only reason we would pay up to acquire him is if we had a team that could compete right now. And as of now, I doubt we could make the playoffs in the AHL. We are terrible. And Luongo wouldn't do a single thing. Theodore has been great and will continue to give us a chance every night. The absolute last thing we need to do is give away our future. Our prospects are the only thing stopping Panther fans from killing themselves. This Flyers game was so embarrassing, I'm ashamed to be a Panthers fan right now.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any Panthers games yet, I'll take your word for it. I'd think injuries probably have something to do with how badly you're playing now.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Fair enough. I haven't seen any Panthers games yet, I'll take your word for it. I'd think injuries probably have something to do with how badly you're playing now.
I don't think so. It's really ugly. Theodore had ZERO chance tonight. I want to believe Bergy, Versteeg, and Goc will make a huge difference but we're playing so bad I just don't know.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I tend to agree with that. The trade deadline and the draft are the most likely times to accomplish that. I'd like to get a second first rounder, if possible. I really like this draft and think some decent players will be available even in the 21-30 range. This is who is listed from ISS:
21 Wennberg, Alexander
22 Horvat, Bo
23 Santini, Steve
24 Lehkonen, Artturi
25 Hartman, Ryan
26 Compher, JT
27 Rychel, Kerby
28 Domi, Max
29 Thompson, Keaton
30 Duclair, Anthony

People will tell you first rounders don't get dealt, but we all know that's false. At least a few get traded annually, not including the moving up and down in the draft type trades. Some will say it is unlikely to happen in a deep draft. I don't agree. Most Leafs fans should remember March 5, 2003. That's when they traded a roster player, a former first round prospect and a first round draft pick in the 2003 draft for a 30 year old Owen Nolan. That wasn't the only first rounder dealt in that draft either. Anaheim, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and San Jose all had two first round picks in that stacked draft.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Liferleafer, how right have you been about the Luongo situation so far (since last June)? Did everything go as you expected so far?... Most things? No things? Just curious, as you've been quite vocal and noticeable for quite some time... and you're a good poster... But, I don't make bets on good posters... Only those with good batting averages :-). I'd like to bet on you, but only if you've been right MUCH more then wrong...

Old
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
The Buffalo loss was Miller...not our goalie. The Isles loss...yup Scrivens sucked. Tonight...Jesus Christ in net wouldn't have saved us.
But he is a... Superstar I don't know what for but he is.

Quote:
I say this as someone who thinks we could keep him until he retires, but, he will be gone before the next season starts. For many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I think... well maybe wonder is the better word, could FLA pick up more interest in the offseason? I still don't think they would offer the best package, but I can see them being more interested when Jose is gone. Until then he is a good stopgap, stopgap to what is the unknown.

Last edited by Traded Legwand: 01-26-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: edited out deleted post/response
Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Christ

Quote:
Have you never seen me play goal?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I think... well maybe wonder is the better word, could FLA pick up more interest in the offseason? I still don't think they would offer the best package, but I can see them being more interested when Jose is gone. Until then he is a good stopgap, stopgap to what is the unknown.
The unknown's name is Jacob Markstrom. Currently regarded as the best goalie prospect in the entire league. And honestly, Theodore has given us Luongo type goaltending at a salary of $1.5 million.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Source?
Any team that needs luongo ALSO needs all its roster players to push towards the playoffs and beyond.

Its not like a team is going to go get a 34 year old Luongo..........and then give up roster players which basically defeats the purpose. The whole point is Luongo gives them a chance to win now.

So the only thing a team can give back is prospects and picks. AKA futures.

Nobody has a crystal ball, but it makes common sense.

Closed Thread