HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
If we could re do the 2011 Draft again do you guys think we should of taken Dougie Hamilton ?
They are different players, obviously addressing different needs. Given that the Jets felt they had a need at centre it makes sense to have drafted Scheifele. Hamilton is going to be good though. I expect he'll be an all-star defenceman and challenge for the Norris in a few years. Think Alex Pietrangelo.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I would say top end C.

But the reality is we need top four LHD the most.
Top end C is right, but Scheifele and Burmistrov haven't proven they aren't going to become that.

Currently our C's are good enough for the role, but Antropov and Jokinen won't be the future. IMO neither will Little as his best role is at RW.

Our need for LHD is a little over exaggerated. Enstrom is already a top pairing LHD and Hainsey does a good enough job when paired with Bogo. We also have Trouba on the way and I don't think it would absolutely kill us to pair up two righties.

Really all we need is one #4 LHD (which Hainsey is good for right now) and those aren't impossible to come by. We don't need to go balls to the walls and acquire the next Dougie Hamilton (who is a rightie anyway) to pair with Bogo.

So in conclusion we need a #4 LHD and two top 6 centers for the future (Burmistrov & Scheifele may or may not become those). So I'd say if we're hitting an area of need it's centermen. So I'd still take Scheifele > Hamilton at this point.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
The big dif is Kari was weak defensively and Scheif is really responsible
Have you watched much OHL hockey over the past 5 years? I haven't heard many people at the BMC call Mark "really responsible". He's capable defensively, but to call him a + player on defense is a bit of a stretch. The Colts penalty kill has been average at best and inept (20th in a 20 team league) at worst with Scheifele as the front line centre. A lot of that can be attributed to Hawerchuk's lack of a system, but fair responsibility lies with the forwards as well (the defencemen have been solid). Kadri was never know for his defensive play either, but I don't recall him being known as "weak" defensively. The problem is in Toronto they expect him to be Steve Yzerman. If they set their sites more along the lines of Russ Courtnall, they would probably be more on point and less disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Funny that he only starts breaking out and probably has more confidence after a coaching change. Just coincidence?
Perhaps, but it's also four years of development and 21 lbs...

Old
01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
surixon

Looks like he will sit his second straight game tomorrow. Can't say im impressed with this. I understand going for wins and Noel playing who he deems will give him the best chance but they shouldn't be leaving Mark twisting in the wind here. If you don't plan on playing him then he should be back in Barrie where he'd be playing meaningful minutes.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:26 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Looks like he will sit his second straight game tomorrow. Can't say im impressed with this. I understand going for wins and Noel playing who he deems will give him the best chance but they shouldn't be leaving Mark twisting in the wind here. If you don't plan on playing him then he should be back in Barrie where he'd be playing meaningful minutes.
Agree. I think that (paradoxically) the more they sit him, the more likely it is that they're going to keep him up this year. I just don't understand why they wouldn't immediately send him back to Barrie to get ice time and to help the Colts with their run to the playoffs.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Agree. I think that (paradoxically) the more they sit him, the more likely it is that they're going to keep him up this year. I just don't understand why they wouldn't immediately send him back to Barrie to get ice time and to help the Colts with their run to the playoffs.
There could possibly be a trade in the works to open up a spot (sit him out while showcasing someone else), or perhaps he is nursing a slight injury?

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Maybe because Barrie only has two games between now and February 8th. not a lot of minutes to be had.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
Maybe because Barrie only has two games between now and February 8th. not a lot of minutes to be had.
Excellent point.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:46 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Telegin had a more successful campaign in Barrie last season, and he has had the opportunity to play in St. John's this year. He's also had more experience playing the wing, is a year older than Mark and his skating is NHL ready. I'm surprised that nobody has suggested that he get called up.
I think the problem with Telegin based on the comments by both Chevy and McCambridge is that he arrived in St John's with all the tools but was more or less starting from scratch as far as understanding how to play the position. They said he kind of played like a rover and needed to understand team structure and how to play his position within that structure like a pro. I believe they both like his skill set though.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I think the problem with Telegin based on the comments by both Chevy and McCambridge is that he arrived in St John's with all the tools but was more or less starting from scratch as far as understanding how to play the position. They said he kind of played like a rover and needed to understand team structure and how to play his position within that structure like a pro. I believe they both like his skill set though.
Interesting to hear since Eberle said that AHL is a lot more chaotic and less structured than NHL.

Reply to H.C.: makes sense to me
(don't want to flood with my replies haha)

Last edited by garret9: 01-26-2013 at 11:03 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Interesting to hear since Eberle said that AHL is a lot more chaotic and less structured than NHL.
It is...but junior is a LOT more so than the AHL. As you move up levels, the game gets more structured and the individual talent gets you less and less far.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:40 PM
krazy kanuck

From nhl.com... Looks like this season, regardless of sitting, they have to make a decision by January 31 regardless.

Quote:
Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets -- The first draft pick of the new Jets got a taste of the NHL last season, and is back again hoping for a full-time spot. Through his first three games, the seventh pick of the 2011 draft has five shots but no points. After playing more than 11 minutes in the season opener, he was below nine minutes of ice time the next two games, and he was a healthy scratch Friday against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Scheifele dominated in junior hockey this season, with 49 points in 30 games with the Barrie Colts of the OHL, and he shifted to right wing to star for Canada at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship, finishing with five goals and eight points in six games.

He's played some center but mostly right wing with the Jets, but his opportunity to continue in the NHL is questionable. If he sits out the one game, the Jets will have to decide on keeping Scheifele or sending him back to junior before playing Jan. 31 at the Florida Panthers.

"He's been reasonably good," Jets coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. "This isn't a race to five games for us. It's a time we've got to help him grow, help him feel comfortable. Our situation doesn't lend itself too great for him."

Old
01-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
From nhl.com... Looks like this season, regardless of sitting, they have to make a decision by January 31 regardless.
No, they were talking about the 5 game limit, that would have been game 6 if he just sits out the one game (vs Pittsburgh). For every game he sits they push that limit back.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:50 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
No, they were talking about the 5 game limit, that would have been game 6 if he just sits out the one game (vs Pittsburgh). For every game he sits they push that limit back.
Hmmm...Not sure I understand. They could make him sit the next 10 games though and he wouldn't hit game 5. So why do they mention January 31?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Hmmm...Not sure I understand. They could make him sit the next 10 games though and he wouldn't hit game 5. So why do they mention January 31?
because it's not very common to sit your prospects... but it's also not common to not have pre-season games

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
It's worded kinda funny. The assumption is that Scheifele would dress for the next few games to get to 5, then the decision would have to come before the 6th game which would be January 31st versus Florida. If he does not dress Sunday, then the decision would have to come before February 1st game versus Tampa based on the way this is worded. They were just listing when the decision would need to be made by, if Scheifele dresses all the games.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
because it's not very common to sit your prospects... but it's also not common to not have pre-season games
Sometimes they do... Tyler Seguin had a similar start in the NHL. I think that they are following the same blueprint

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:32 AM
jiho

Taken from the Flames Board/Calgary Herald: Flames might sit Baertschi for game against Oilers
Head coach suggests Calgary's top young player will be a scratch for Saturday night NHL tilt on Hockey Night in Canada

Can you imagine playing your top prospect on the 4th line and now sitting him a game.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
Taken from the Flames Board/Calgary Herald: Flames might sit Baertschi for game against Oilers
Head coach suggests Calgary's top young player will be a scratch for Saturday night NHL tilt on Hockey Night in Canada

Can you imagine playing your top prospect on the 4th line and now sitting him a game.
Because Calgary is the absolute perfect model to follow for prospect development...

Old
01-27-2013, 03:18 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Because Calgary is the absolute perfect model to follow for prospect development...
Yea and at least our board seems to have our head screwed on strait with Mark as far as expectations go.......last year Flames fans had Baertschi slotted squarely in the "savior of the franchise" catagory. It's probably cooled off a bit this year although I assume all blame is placed on the org??

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea and at least our board seems to have our head screwed on strait with Mark as far as expectations go.......last year Flames fans had Baertschi slotted squarely in the "savior of the franchise" catagory. It's probably cooled off a bit this year although I assume all blame is placed on the org??
I actually had a heated discussion with a Flames fan at the Poll section about why it was idiotic at this point to discuss if Kane or Baertschi was gonna become the better player in the future.

I kinda want to rub this in that smug guy's face, since he was talking about Baertschi as the second coming after his 3 goals in 5 games. But I'm a bigger man than that.

Right?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 AM
tntkid

The Jets have invested a lot of time in the development of Scheifele & he just can't seem to transition to the NHL game.

I am not sure if he ever will & if he could be moved to acquire a player that is a good fit for this team right now I think that it is a good idea.

I however really doubt that the team will let him go.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:35 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
The Jets have invested a lot of time in the development of Scheifele & he just can't seem to transition to the NHL game.

I am not sure if he ever will & if he could be moved to acquire a player that is a good fit for this team right now I think that it is a good idea.
So based on 3 games you have declared him incapable of playing at the NHL level? . The guy is only 19. Getting into the NHL is not some kind of race. Giroux spent half a season in the AHL before joining the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
If we could re do the 2011 Draft again do you guys think we should of taken Dougie Hamilton ?
I think Schieflie was a fine choice. His closest comparable Ryan Strome, a center drafted one position ahead of him has similar point production as him and is also being sent back. I'm not too worried about Schieflie. However I still maintain that we should have drafted Forsberg in the 2012 draft. Trouba looks like a great pick now but it would have been wonderful to have Forsberg in the system and have two talented centers coming up to the big club in a few years. By all indications Forsberg is going to be an absolute stud when he comes to the NHL. Besides why would you not want someone with the last name 'Forsberg' on your team?

I'm not a fan of drafting defensmen in the first round. Based on anecdotal evidence it seems that you can find great D-men in the later rounds whereas it is hard to find an offensive star like Forsberg in the later rounds.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:55 AM
krazy kanuck

Looks like some sources are starting to suggest that When the Jets head East this week Mark will head to Barrie... Hawerchuk must have expected that or he would not have sold the future to add pieces for this season... Should be interesting to see what comes to pass this week.

To tntkid I would ask/suggest:

a) What have the Jets invested in Mark that most teams wouldn't have? Seems like standard operating procedure to me...
b) Perhaps a little patience is in order? It's not like hundreds of other players from that draft have contributed. RNH sure, but even he couldn't stay healthy playing against the big boys...

Old
01-28-2013, 03:11 AM
tntkid

He is good at a junior level but barely capable of getting a point in the NHL.
The Jets drafted him way too high.

Leave him in Barrie or St John's for 3 more years to collect dust.

I am not sold on him being a superstar & just being real.
Re pop this thread in 5 years & prove me wrong.

Last edited by tntkid: 01-28-2013 at 03:32 AM.
tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote