HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any way the Sharks trade Clowe?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
ieglover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Because according to the league, any big bodied forward is called a power forward. A powerforward has to consistently use his big body to drive the net and score goals/create rebounds. A powerforward does not stop at the blue-line, slow play down, and try a dozen hopeful passes before it leads to a goal.
Completely agree. On this team, Marleau and Couture are more powerforward than Clowe.

ieglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieglover View Post
Completely agree. On this team, Marleau and Couture are more powerforward than Clowe.
Don't know about Couture. I would say Marleau and Pavs maybe.

01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
A powerforward has to consistently use his big body to drive the net and score goals/create rebounds.
Driving the net results in scoring goals and creating rebounds no matter how big you are. That has nothing to do with being a power forward.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Driving the net results in scoring goals and creating rebounds no matter how big you are. That has nothing to do with being a power forward.
Except a power forward takes advantage of his size to do those things.
How else would you describe a powerforward? Just any big player who fights?

Quote:
That I disagree on. Clowe and Thornton are the closest the team has to powerforwards, but neither of them play like powerforwards, at least not on a consistent basis.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

The old definition was a person who could score, hit, fight, and use his size to drive the net. Over the years it's changed, like Nash is described as a power forward often even though he isn't known for his physicality.

Clowe has the physique to be a power forward, but he plays more like a playmaker who likes to use the boards and his size to protect the puck and make plays. It hasn't been working out lately though, but he's always slow to start for reasons likely stemming from a lax offseason.

He fights and hits and he does occasionally drive the net, so I guess you could describe him as a power forward in a broad sense.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
The old definition was a person who could score, hit, fight, and use his size to drive the net. Over the years it's changed, like Nash is described as a power forward often even though he isn't known for his physicality.

Clowe has the physique to be a power forward, but he plays more like a playmaker who likes to use the boards and his size to protect the puck and make plays. It hasn't been working out lately though, but he's always slow to start for reasons likely stemming from a lax offseason.

He fights and hits and he does occasionally drive the net, so I guess you could describe him as a power forward in a broad sense.
In a league where a headhunting diver like Dustin Brown is considered a "power forward" i'd say the definition is pretty broad.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:42 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
How else would you describe a powerforward? Just any big player who fights?
Meh. We all know it's not that simple. There's a game within the game. The physical game has a big influence on the momentum of the teams. It comes in many forms: fights, hits, battles on the boards, scrums after the whistle, battles in front of the net....etc. A power forward helps his team win the physical battle.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:55 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I was looking at Capgeek just now and noticed his contract is up after this year. I don't expect him to be re-signed and given his level of play recently, I thought why not move him?

Now, I realize the Sharks need him to produce given his spot in the lineup and not likely being able to replace him in a trade BUT it is something to consider.

Thoughts?
There really is no reason to trade Clowe

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:56 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Noway nohow for Couture... Marleau is closer but Clowe is still stronger on the puck

And OF COURSE Clowe is a power forward. How do you think he gains space and position? By skating and finness? No he overpowers the opposition. There are few on the team who are stronger on the puck. JT may be the only one.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
WantonAbandon

As for Hertl counting on him to step right into a top six role without any AHL time is quite a bit of a stretch. I would assume he will be in the A for at least a season and then the Sharks might see how he does on the third line.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:08 AM
justinboo*

i too remember the days where clowe would work hard to stand his ground infront of the goal and fish his way into scoring (get it? ;P) n thought thats where he would establish his niche on the sharks but ever since then hes been trying to be a player that he isnt. he doenst have the finesse or bigplay making skills to be a thornton or marleau. be a clowe dammit!

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
As for Hertl counting on him to step right into a top six role without any AHL time is quite a bit of a stretch. I would assume he will be in the A for at least a season and then the Sharks might see how he does on the third line.
I am not sure about how the QoC in international leagues is. Is Slavia Praha not as good as the Worcester Sharks?

I guess a Worcester stint will only help to get Hertl acclimatized to the NA game but I would think he would be more than ready on a skill and physicality level.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:10 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post
i too remember the days where clowe would work hard to stand his ground infront of the goal and fish his way into scoring (get it? ;P) n thought thats where he would establish his niche on the sharks but ever since then hes been trying to be a player that he isnt. he doenst have the finesse or bigplay making skills to be a thornton or marleau. be a clowe dammit!
Clowe actually is playing to his strengths. Hold onto the puck wait for an opening...

Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I am not sure about how the QoC in international leagues is. Is Slavia Praha not as good as the Worcester Sharks?

I guess a Worcester stint will only help to get Hertl acclimatized to the NA game but I would think he would be more than ready on a skill and physicality level.
The Sharks are going to want to eventually take full control of his development. Also in in North America I believe he would have to adjust to smaller ice. That could take a while for a player like Hertl to adapt to.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
According to Hertl and his agent, he doesn't want to come to NA untill he's playing for the SJ. He plays against men already, it's not like the AHL would be that much of a step up. Besides, there's no way he steps right into a top-6 role. I see him as our #3C next year, ideally.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
According to Hertl and his agent, he doesn't want to come to NA untill he's playing for the SJ. He plays against men already, it's not like the AHL would be that much of a step up. Besides, there's no way he steps right into a top-6 role. I see him as our #3C next year, ideally.
You don't make it to San Jose on your own terms. Whether he's ready or not, it will not be his decision.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:45 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
You don't make it to San Jose on your own terms. Whether he's ready or not, it will not be his decision.
He'll be playing in SJ, or he'll be playing for Slavia Praha. That's the point.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

He needs to lift weights with Couture and Gary Roberts.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

You could probably work out something with MTL around Eller with Pacioretty going out for a month+.

Not sure how San Jose's C depth is after Thornton and Pavelski though. I'm guessing not good if Gomez is the guy.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Vaasa

The Sharks C depth includes:

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski
Couture
Gomez
Handzus
Wingels
Sheppard
Desjardin

They have so much C depth that they are forcing many natural C's to wing just to fit them in.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Vaasa

Here's a question for 210 and Speed. Is Sheppard good enough at C that he could slot in on the 2nd line and move Couture to LW?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:02 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
The Sharks C depth includes:

Thornton
Marleau
Pavelski
Couture
Gomez
Handzus
Wingels
Sheppard
Desjardin

They have so much C depth that they are forcing many natural C's to wing just to fit them in.
Yes, overall their C depth is crazy. However, the first four are Top-6 players, no questions asked. But Eller would probably be better than anyone else on that list, IMO. But I also didn't realize you had 3 more guys after Gomer and Handzus.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Quote:
Who was the last Sharks top 6 forward to spend at least a season in the A? Clowe?

Seems unlikely.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Here's a question for 210 and Speed. Is Sheppard good enough at C that he could slot in on the 2nd line and move Couture to LW?
No, not right now.
I also see no reason to move Couture to wing either.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
SantaClaraShark
Rookie User

If Clowe continues to struggle and Setoguchi continues to struggle, can you guys see the being swapped for one another? Can we get Seto without losing Clowe? Can Cheechoo make a comeback? I would like to see a Seto, Gomez, and Cheechoo line. Imagine that.

SantaClaraShark is offline   Reply With Quote