HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Lindy: I can take faceoffs, provide no offense, and I'm from North America. I'd be the ideal replacement
If you're large and do absolutely nothing with your size, then you're Paul Gaustad!

Old
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
The Washer

The Sabres desperately need a talented, 1C-RW to be successful in 2013. We will hopefully have one next year in Armia, but this will not help in 2013. This is THE problem folks. Not Foligno, Ennis and Staff. Although I am not sold on Staff, our incomplete "3rd line", is causing the whole program to error out. And I suspect we have had this "coding error" for quite some time. I believe this program will begin working next year assuming Armia plays, until than I expect that our 1C line will go back to being "3rd line", with Hecht probably centering it. If they have no plans to address a 1C-RW this year than I believe they should send Grigs back down. No point in "John Scottin" his career any further. At this point, its painfully clear he has not been put in a position to succeed, offensively, and I believe its because they do not have a talented 1C-RW option and they do not want to breakup HPV OR FES (Which is the absolute correct call). Bringing in a BRyan will not solve the issue THIS year, as someone like Staff would def be gone, thus perpetuating the current 1C-RW problem. I submit this to be our last chance at a "tank" season and STILL retain the current FO, HC (This is very hard 4 me to say). With all this talent and the possibility of Armia coming aboard next season, anything close to tanking 2014+ would be considered an Epic Failure by this ORG. I believe most will get a pass on this lockout shortened season, which is why I believe Ruff&Co would survive a "tank" season this year. 2014+, hell fock no. Would be a fan mutiny with the talent on this team. With that being said, Sabres should focus on next year, should focus on Armia and should focus on CPerry. The current product looks like a car being driven on 3 wheels. I fully expect this for the remainder of 2013 or atleast until a 4th wheel is put into place.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
If you're large and do absolutely nothing with your size, then you're Paul Gaustad!
Thanks for the reminder that its no longer the 80's. Its sad to see a league in which a Larry Bird could no longer exist, but a powerful leaper with 5% of the talent can have 10+ yr careers.

#RIPJimmerJumpShot
#RIPJJReddickJ
#RIPAfinegenovTypes
#RIP_Skill
#RIP100ptDefenseman
#RIPAlMacinnisSlapshot
#RIPGretzky2013

Old
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
The Sabres desperately need a talented, 1C-RW to be successful in 2013. We will hopefully have one next year in Armia, but this will not help in 2013. This is THE problem folks. Not Foligno, Ennis and Staff. Although I am not sold on Staff, our incomplete "3rd line", is causing the whole program to error out. And I suspect we have had this "coding error" for quite some time. I believe this program will begin working next year assuming Armia plays, until than I expect that our 1C line will go back to being "3rd line", with Hecht probably centering it. If they have no plans to address a 1C-RW this year than I believe they should send Grigs back down. No point in "John Scottin" his career any further. At this point, its painfully clear he has not been put in a position to succeed, offensively, and I believe its because they do not have a talented 1C-RW option and they do not want to breakup HPV OR FES (Which is the absolute correct call). Bringing in a BRyan will not solve the issue THIS year, as someone like Staff would def be gone, thus perpetuating the current 1C-RW problem. I submit this to be our last chance at a "tank" season and STILL retain the current FO, HC (This is very hard 4 me to say). With all this talent and the possibility of Armia coming aboard next season, anything close to tanking 2014+ would be considered an Epic Failure by this ORG. I believe most will get a pass on this lockout shortened season, which is why I believe Ruff&Co would survive a "tank" season this year. 2014+, hell fock no. Would be a fan mutiny with the talent on this team. With that being said, Sabres should focus on next year, should focus on Armia and should focus on CPerry. The current product looks like a car being driven on 3 wheels. I fully expect this for the remainder of 2013 or atleast until a 4th wheel is put into place.
I'm not sure if I agree with everything or not, but I really like this post. Maybe a couple paragraph breaks, but I can overlook that.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Not much we didn't know in that post. Hodgson may be a capable #1 type C eventually, but for now I expect his ceiling to be more around a typical #2. Ennis could be a good C if there are three legit scoring lines, making it possible for match-up problems (especially at home). Otherwise, we really need Grigorenko to eventually become that proto #1 C. There is no other good option unless you trade the farm for that player (which usually leaves you no better in the long run).

At RW I don't see a problem, especially not a problem that Armia is going to step in and solve. Yes, it would be great to have a Ryan type but RW is not a glaring problem with Pominville being one of the top 20 RWs in the league. Besides, it's the center position that stirs the drink in this game. RR need to find out what they have in all three young Cs, and hope to hell one of them steps up as a legit top talent. That's why I prefer Ruff to play Grigorenko in any and all scenarios this season to hopefully speed up his learning curve (or at least not hinder it). There's nothing to lose this season, they aren't winning anything more than one playoff round if they're very lucky. Prep everyone for 2013-14 and once and for friggin' all, please figure out a scheme or breakout plan that prevents our d-men from getting pinned in the d-zone for entire shifts.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Imlach a cup

I don't know about Armia fixing anything. I was under the impression he probably spends a season in the AHL. Leino gets a full season to prove he has a spot on this team or he's headed to 2015 b/o option.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:52 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
I don't know about Armia fixing anything. I was under the impression he probably spends a season in the AHL. Leino gets a full season to prove he has a spot on this team or he's headed to 2015 b/o option.
Yea, anyone relying on the future Armia at this point is

He MAY be an "average NHLer" once he gets to the Sabres. He MAY be awesome. Once he proves his worth, he'll be worthy of "Armia will fix it" talk.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Grigs is collecting about $100,000 for these 5 games as it is. That's not a bad consolation to head back to Quebec with.

That said, I really hope he stays and I really hope he plays tomorrow. Possibly even in a big role to see how he handles it, what do you have to lose anyway? (it's the caps)

Old
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Grigs is collecting about $100,000 for these 5 games as it is. That's not a bad consolation to head back to Quebec with.

That said, I really hope he stays and I really hope he plays tomorrow. Possibly even in a big role to see how he handles it, what do you have to lose anyway? (it's the caps)
Well I wanna see a big fat Win But I think Grigs can do well, if the reins are loosened on him. He's got the tools!

Old
01-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Well I wanna see a big fat Win But I think Grigs can do well, if the reins are loosened on him. He's got the tools!
I'd like to see Lindy just say '**** it, go loose kid, play your game' and see what he can do. I personally don't think he's ready for the NHL, but I want to see him play his game as opposed to playing Lindy's game.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I'd like to see Lindy just say '**** it, go loose kid, play your game' and see what he can do. I personally don't think he's ready for the NHL, but I want to see him play his game as opposed to playing Lindy's game.
Well Lindy's game is riding the pine apparently

Grigs has shown his flashes, has to be allowed to play. he can make his linemates better. Problem two is that no one seems to be ready for the nifty passes Grigs makes to them.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:52 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Well Lindy's game is riding the pine apparently

Grigs has shown his flashes, has to be allowed to play. he can make his linemates better. Problem two is that no one seems to be ready for the nifty passes Grigs makes to them.
I'm loving CoHo between vanek and pommers right now but i really think grigs could be a great fit with them, vanek and pommers already make tons of nifty passes to each other and grigs would just be setting them up for more chances

Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'm loving CoHo between vanek and pommers right now but i really think grigs could be a great fit with them, vanek and pommers already make tons of nifty passes to each other and grigs would just be setting them up for more chances
Possibly yes. Do we let that happen tomorrow or stick to HPV agenda? I maybe want a half period, to a period of trying that... it'd be a bit outta my comofrt zone but I'm willing.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
If that line gets broken up it's to see if they can individually jump start other players. Not to mention the message it sends to Hodgson. Great start to the season kid, exactly what we were hoping for when we shipped out our top prospect for you. Now go play with Kaleta and Ott so this unproven kid who hasn't earned a thing can have the teams top line. Might as well find out if Van will do givesy backsy for Kassian at that point.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
If that line gets broken up it's to see if they can individually jump start other players. Not to mention the message it sends to Hodgson. Great start to the season kid, exactly what we were hoping for when we shipped out our top prospect for you. Now go play with Kaleta and Ott so this unproven kid who hasn't earned a thing can have the teams top line. Might as well find out if Van will do givesy backsy for Kassian at that point.
Wasn't suggesting it for right now, just saying they could mesh well together down the road

Old
01-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Shoey
Hello.

It's really unfortunate that Leino's injury happened when it did because his puck possession skills would translate well with Grig's passing and vision. It's a case where Grigs might get sent back without even having a chance to play with the player who complements his skill set best.

Last edited by Shoey: 01-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Still no time table for Ville either.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Sentrix

Anyone opposed to letting Grigs play left wing with Stafford and Ennis? (So as not to hinder Ennis' development as a center) Those are the most talented players not on the top line that Grigs could be playing with, besides arguably Leino who is injured anyway. I've noticed that a lot of teams start rookie centers on the wing to get a feel for things.

Foligno would move to the third line and play with Ott and Gerbe. That could make a good energy line.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentrix View Post
Anyone opposed to letting Grigs play left wing with Stafford and Ennis? (So as not to hinder Ennis' development as a center) Those are the most talented players not on the top line that Grigs could be playing with, besides arguably Leino who is injured anyway. I've noticed that a lot of teams start rookie centers on the wing to get a feel for things.

Foligno would move to the third line and play with Ott and Gerbe. That could make a good energy line.
There's no reason to ask Grigs to switch positions if that line is tried because Ennis has experience at LW. It's something to talk about down the line if Grigs is here all year but you can't switch his position now.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:56 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

If anything, put Grigs between Stafford and Ennis. Ennis can't win faceoffs and shouldn't be playing that position.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
If anything, put Grigs between Stafford and Ennis. Ennis can't win faceoffs and shouldn't be playing that position.
It's not an NHL rule that centers have to take faceoffs, the best 2 guys on the team at taking draws are probably Ott and Pominville but you know... Lindy Ruff.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:03 AM
drmagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
It's not an NHL rule that centers have to take faceoffs, the best 2 guys on the team at taking draws are probably Ott and Pominville but you know... Lindy Ruff.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

Old
01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmagg View Post
So Vanek should take all of our faceoffs. Stupid Ruff it's so obvious.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Well this is unpleasant as it basically implies he's not sure if he is keeping Grigorenko up or not. Lindy, this team needs guys who can play center. Don't do it man.
They do but they need ones that can play it in the NHL. Don't really know if Grigs can yet.

Its hard to tell if this means Grigs isn't staying or not because Ruff's comments after that were all glowing.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/.../ruff-hop.html

Quote:
Ruff then admitted that getting the rookie added practice time might be in the cards, so the team isn't forced into a decision just yet.

"I like where this kid is going," Ruff said. "I like where his game has been. Even his early shifts [Friday] I thought were good shifts. They had the makings of doing something good."

Old
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
heartsabres*

I have said since game one that I donīt see Grigorenko being ready and all the sabres fans jumping on me.

After watching 4 games I think Ruff is not ready to trust an 18 year old as much as he is not ready.

That being said I still think Grigorenko should remian with the team, I think he has nothing left to learn in the Q. Lindy needs to play him 14-16 minutes a game. If he canīt do that then I think Grigorenko is screwed.

Closed Thread