HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
He was here last year and knows all the players already.What's left to evaluate.
true
but to be fair - 10 games isnt much
there were key injuries 2nd half - reimer lupul liles
kulemin was bad
and they were all a yr younger

so it's like giving them a 2nd chance

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:59 AM
kihei

vCash: 3125
Way too much doom and gloom around here. A young team got beat by one of the most talented lines in the league, by a team that is a legitimate contender. This is part of the learning curve. No big deal.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:00 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

This team just can't hold a lead. ****.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:06 AM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Way too much doom and gloom around here. A young team got beat by one of the most talented lines in the league, by a team that is a legitimate contender. This is part of the learning curve. No big deal.

I know,but there is always wishful thinking.If the leafs wind up playing .500 this season I'll be happy.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

The Good: Reimer looked pretty freaking great IMO.

The Bad: Someone entered our beer league team into the NHL.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Kessel could be 10x more effective on the boards than he is if he actually wanted to. Don't kid yourself, Kessel is not engaging more now than he ever has. It's not that he's losing puck battles on the boards, the battles aren't even happening.
I have no time (or desire really) to re-watch the first four games to make a clip of what I perceive as his improved board work, but I will re-watch tonight's game at some point tomorrow, and will try to post something from this game. The one play that really stood out tonight was in the 2nd period (I believe), when Kessel knowingly took a big hit to ensure the puck got out of our defensive zone. I remember cringing, and thinking that the prototypical Kessel of seasons past would have just bailed on that play.

Quote:
You can tailor the team to Kessel's weaknesses all you want. With Lupul out we don't have what it takes. Sure, move Kadri up. Then we're back to two 'scoring' lines (neither of which have actually played together, and could just as easily fail), a third line that can do nothing and is probably a defensive liability (MacArthur being soft on the boards, Frattin being inexperienced), and a fourth line that gets trusted with 7 minutes a game or less.
Making the lineup is definitely a balancing act, and one that will get tougher with injuries. I agree that the 3rd line could end up being useless, but maybe a Komarov-McClement-Frattin line (I'd prefer Kulemin instead of Frattin, but it's not an option with Lupul out) can be used as a shutdown line of sort. I'm not very high on Frattin's defensive abilities, but now's as good a time as any to hone his defensive game.

I'd rather not have the Grabo line in a dedicated shutdown role, and would prefer to utilize them mostly offensively. Same with the Kessel line.

Quote:
That's pretty similar to where we were in '10-11, is it not? Kessel scored 32, second line scored 80 or whatever it was, and the team sucked.
The '10-'11 team didn't suck because of the lack of offense. Grabo's line scored around 80, while the Kessel line (of various permutations) scored around 58 goals. That's actually not bad for secondary scoring, considering the Russian roulette that was happening on Kessel's opposite wing.

The Kessel line had a dedicated puck retriever/net presence for most of the season (be it Kulemin, Caputi, Mitchell, Armstrong, Crabb, or Lupul), except for the relatively short Versteeg/Kadri experiments. Some of the teams decided to mark the Kessel line, the rest checked the Grabo line. When one line was shut down, the other usually stepped up. The major difference between then, and now is that back then, on most nights, both lines were buzzing, and creating chances. Even during Kessel's infamous slump, he was generating plenty of offensive chances.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:17 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
I have no time (or desire really) to re-watch the first four games to make a clip of what I perceive as his improved board work, but I will re-watch tonight's game at some point tomorrow, and will try to post something from this game. The one play that really stood out tonight was in the 2nd period (I believe), when Kessel knowingly took a big hit to ensure the puck got out of our defensive zone. I remember cringing, and thinking that the prototypical Kessel of seasons past would have just bailed on that play.

I know I saw him backcheck. Once for sure.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:35 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
He was here last year and knows all the players already.What's left to evaluate.
How they play under Carlyle's system? How they play after a long layoff?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
T M L

We are not even close to the Oilers! The Oilers have AMAZING young talent that we have none of.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov... ALL 1st overall picks. Then add Eberle to that. We have nothing compared to them, just overrated/overpaid passengers.

The Leafs need to finish last a few years in a row and get the 1st overall pick a few times. These 5th overall just don't seem to be working out.

The oNLY way to build a Championship team is through the draft. These accelerated rebuilds do not work, you just end up with a bunch of old players like Komisarek, Connolly and so on that can't win.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:37 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
How they play under Carlyle's system? How they play after a long layoff?
The acquisition of JVR and promotion of Kadri (along with some other Marlies) also opens up juggling possibilities to get some lines/pairings going.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

^^It's not that, getting role players would make a difference. Oilers GOT lucky, we haven't. But I do think goaltending is the BIG issue here.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 AM
T M L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
^^It's not that, getting role players would make a difference. Oilers GOT lucky, we haven't. But I do think goaltending is the BIG issue here.
Disagree. Sure Goaltending is an issue but not the only issue. It is much deeper than that. The entire team is weak starting with the coach.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:43 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Positives - Reimer

Negative - Everything else

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:47 AM
TheSilencer

WHATT

"What have the Oilers proven?"
"Their D and goalie still sucks"

We, sir, are as proven as they come, and our D/goalie rocks.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Disagree. Sure Goaltending is an issue but not the only issue. It is much deeper than that. The entire team is weak starting with the coach.
This team has no real depth... just look at this team, we can COMPETE, but were not there yet. I can see a big trade happening.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Team is lacking a leader on the blue line IMO. Blowing two back to back leads like that. Should have taken a run at redden

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Good thing: Nonis will put his STAMP this season. He'll evaluate. You'll see some changes. MLSE will pressure him.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I swear that Leafs have already started tanking, sending Gardiner down albeit a conditioning assignment and playing KOSTKA 31+MINUTES!? That guarantee's us getting Jones, since Lottery is against dead last winning lottery now.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:03 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I swear that Leafs have already started tanking, sending Gardiner down albeit a conditioning assignment and playing KOSTKA 31+MINUTES!? That guarantee's us getting Jones, since Lottery is against dead last winning lottery now.
I'll take mackinnon thank you very much.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

^^ Hopefully. This is the BEST DRAFT in years. Phaneuf has gotta go... package him in a deal.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:08 AM
lordsithis

Quote:
^^ Hopefully. This is the BEST DRAFT in years. Phaneuf has gotta go... package him in a deal.
I agree.

Who would be interested in him/his contract though?

Hmmm.

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I'll take mackinnon thank you very much.
If you didn't read it fully, I said that the Lottery favors a team that is not dead last to win the lottery, which means that the last-placed team would get knocked down to #2.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Due North

Quote:

Oilers got lucky! We kind of got lucky once and our picks wen't to Boston.

Due North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
I agree.

Who would be interested in him/his contract though?

Hmmm.
I see a Phaneuf for Stastny deal working, but if we were going rebuild idk what team to go too. Maybe try to get the Schenn bro's back for Phaneuf lol??

Old
01-27-2013, 02:14 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
We are not even close to the Oilers! The Oilers have AMAZING young talent that we have none of.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov... ALL 1st overall picks. Then add Eberle to that. We have nothing compared to them, just overrated/overpaid passengers.

The Leafs need to finish last a few years in a row and get the 1st overall pick a few times. These 5th overall just don't seem to be working out.

The oNLY way to build a Championship team is through the draft. These accelerated rebuilds do not work, you just end up with a bunch of old players like Komisarek, Connolly and so on that can't win.
Actually, it looks as though recently all of our higher draft picks have been turning out pretty well. If you count the Schenn for JVR swap as well.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote