HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons, Center 14th Overall, 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
  #226
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I would be doing what Zack is doing if I was playing with the Sedins.....
thats a fair point, I just meant playing a physical defensive game while putting up points. I still see him with 60 point upside

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
  #227
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I see Zemgus as a slightly more skilled version of Brandon Sutter.

40 or so points while logging tough defensive minutes and generally making life miserable for the opponents' best line.
This IMO

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  #228
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,134
vCash: 500
If he can be a Sean Couturier type player I would be more than pleased.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
  #229
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,101
vCash: 500
His peak potential is Ryan Kesler/Patrice Bergeron type player. Now that would be awesome if he could reach that!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:48 PM
  #230
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I would be doing what Zack is doing if I was playing with the Sedins.....
I think the point to be taken away here is, well, Kassian is playing with the Sedins.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
  #231
The Washer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
If he can be a Sean Couturier type player I would be more than pleased.
Great comparison....I was thinking more along the lines of another "older" tough dude type, that just happened to be apart of one of the greatest lines in history. You know the one with that Finnish guy on it.

Messier-Gretzky-Kurri <--He's a FINN

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia <--He's a FINN

And Cmon, G for Gretz and Grigs. Cmon!!!

Open up the ice and its the 80's all over again.

DISCLAIMER: My only wild claim is Grigorenko.

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
  #232
AmerksPuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
Great comparison....I was thinking more along the lines of another "older" tough dude type, that just happened to be apart of one of the greatest lines in history. You know the one with that Finnish guy on it.

Messier-Gretzky-Kurri <--He's a FINN

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia <--He's a FINN

And Cmon, G for Gretz and Grigs. Cmon!!!

Open up the ice and its the 80's all over again.

DISCLAIMER: My only wild claim is Grigorenko.
thinking Girgensons has a Messier ceiling is not a wild claim? I'll have what you're having....

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
  #233
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 500
I think the obvious modern day (hopeful) comparisons are Jordan Staal or Martin Hanzal. Having a proto shut-down C that plays a physical game and nets 35-45 pts would offer a path toward a legit SC contender.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
  #234
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Thinking that Messier, Kurri and Gretzky played on the same line is a wild claim

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:13 PM
  #235
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Thinking that Messier, Kurri and Gretzky played on the same line is a wild claim
Not only wild, but lacks 2 minutes of research

If Armia has half the point production as Kurri had, I would love it!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #236
The Washer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
thinking Girgensons has a Messier ceiling is not a wild claim? I'll have what you're having....
LOL....I was going to edit that and put both Messier and Kurri in the disclaimer. The main point was my comparison to him.

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #237
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,744
vCash: 500
comparison... a mix of kesler and callahan
(i hope)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
  #238
The Washer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I think the obvious modern day (hopeful) comparisons are Jordan Staal or Martin Hanzal. Having a proto shut-down C that plays a physical game and nets 35-45 pts would offer a path toward a legit SC contender.
Staal is a great comparison as well.

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
  #239
The Washer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Not only wild, but lacks 2 minutes of research

If Armia has half the point production as Kurri had, I would love it!
I am gonna go with misremembered, not drink.

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
  #240
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,134
vCash: 500
I hope Zemgus can have the type of faceoff success as a Toews/Bergeron too. Clearly we need to start developing our players into having strong faceoff percentages.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
  #241
Shoey
Hello.
 
Shoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
What are the odds that he breaks into the league as a LW and moves to C down the line? He strikes me as the type of kid where doing that would be really beneficial.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:06 AM
  #242
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
What are the odds that he breaks into the league as a LW and moves to C down the line? He strikes me as the type of kid where doing that would be really beneficial.
That's how they handled him in Roc before the injury.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  #243
Thorton02
Registered User
 
Thorton02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
I see Zemgus' ceiling as Michael Peca. Floor, Pat Kaleta

Thorton02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:13 PM
  #244
sjci
Registered User
 
sjci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 2320
Anybody else catch DR say yesterday that he talked with his agent and his agent said Girgensons really wants to get back to playing Center?

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:19 PM
  #245
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
No I didn't catch it. But what a 19 year old rookie wants and what an organization wants are sometimes two different things. He should keep his mouth shut, put in the work, and talk to the coaches privately and not get his agent involved. If the coaching staff feels it's time to try him at center ... fine. Entitlement mentality (not necessarily saying this is exactly) is for losers.


With that being said, I hope they try him at center next season to see what he's made of at that level at that position.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
  #246
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,840
vCash: 500
Regier commenting on Girgensons playing wing ~9:30 of THIS podcast.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  #247
sjci
Registered User
 
sjci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 2320
After re-listening to it, I think it's his agent who tells Regier that ZG is a better Center than a Winger. I think that's their ultimate plan, just starting him out at wing ala Seguin

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
  #248
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
After re-listening to it, I think it's his agent who tells Regier that ZG is a better Center than a Winger. I think that's their ultimate plan, just starting him out at wing ala Seguin
I would agree. Next season should be a great development year for him. Maybe even see him play a few games with the Sabres

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
  #249
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
No I didn't catch it. But what a 19 year old rookie wants and what an organization wants are sometimes two different things. He should keep his mouth shut, put in the work, and talk to the coaches privately and not get his agent involved. If the coaching staff feels it's time to try him at center ... fine. Entitlement mentality (not necessarily saying this is exactly) is for losers.
Except he didn't say anything...

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:15 PM
  #250
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
I know it doesnt look to flashy but I think his production is solid for an 18 year old in the AHL. I would imagine he could get close to PPG in the AHL in two years (when most draft picks are AHL rookies)

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.