HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth Must Go/Thank You Mr. Wang

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 01:43 AM
  #1
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Garth Must Go/Thank You Mr. Wang

Garth Snow's time on Long Island needs to come to an end. Another of the many gaffs of Wangbucks was hiring an inexperienced GM who has some how made it to year 6 of this rebuild. Snow has repeatedly botched draft picks and failed many times to deal impending free agents at the deadline. Despite consistently having high draft positions since 2008, Snow has drafted only 1 regular NHLer in the last 3 years. Bailey and DeHaan, both picks Snow traded up or down, to draft, have not worked out. He passed on Cam Fowler, Mikael Granlund, Sean Couturier and Jacob Trouba among many others to reach for picks, and he has done a horrendous job developing young players. Time for a change

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:15 AM
  #2
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Nah. You are wrong. And he has to stay.

I thought that atleast both Tavares and Hamonic are regular NHLers. We also have one of the best and deepest prospect pools in the NHL. More regular NHLers will come.

I'm glad that we doesn't rush our prospects anymore. It seems like you want Strome, Persson, Nelson, Niño, Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech etc to play in the NHL right now... You say that he has passed on some good players. Yes, he have. He cant see into the future. Can you?


Last edited by Wanderson: 01-27-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 AM
  #3
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,305
vCash: 500
Calling for Snow to be fired is as futile an exercise as there can be. He's Wang's boy. He's there because he does what he's told. The end.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:24 AM
  #4
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 500


We all agree that Snow's made some mistakes but calling for his head because he didn't draft certain players is ridiculous.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:25 AM
  #5
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Nah. You are wrong. And he has to stay.

I thought that atleast both Tavares and Hamonic are regular NHLers. We also have one of the best and deepest prospect pools in the NHL. More regular NHLers will come.

I'm glad that we doesn't rush our prospects anymore. It seems like you want Strome, Persson, Nelson, Niño, Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech etc to play in the NHL right now... You say that he has passed on some good players. Yes, he have. He cant see into the future. Can you?
If you choose to comment on my post I would appreciate it if you would read it first. The last 3 years would not include the 2008 draft, the one that Travis Hamonic was taken in. And yes, it isn't too much to ask for a few of the many prospects we've drafted since 2009 to actually play regularly for a team that hasn't been out of last place in 6 years. Especially when many of the players taken after guys like Strome, Nino and even Reinhart are already playing in the NHL

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:27 AM
  #6
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post


We all agree that Snow's made some mistakes but calling for his head because he didn't draft certain players is ridiculous.
No its not. I guess Garth has his kids up late defending him because I go to every game and every KNOWLEDGEABLE FAN I speak to believes that Garth needs to go

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:29 AM
  #7
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Calling for Snow to be fired is as futile an exercise as there can be. He's Wang's boy. He's there because he does what he's told. The end.
I've heard this from many of my friends who work for the Islanders. He is the new Milbury

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:43 AM
  #8
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
If you choose to comment on my post I would appreciate it if you would read it first. The last 3 years would not include the 2008 draft, the one that Travis Hamonic was taken in. And yes, it isn't too much to ask for a few of the many prospects we've drafted since 2009 to actually play regularly for a team that hasn't been out of last place in 6 years. Especially when many of the players taken after guys like Strome, Nino and even Reinhart are already playing in the NHL

Why doesn't the good draft of 2008 count? Snow drafted Hammer, Martin and Ullström in that draft. He also drafted two regular NHLers 2009, Cizikas and JT. Maybe more to come in Lee, CdH and Nilsson. It seems like you don't know that our prospect pool is very deep and talented. Read about our prospects. It will be more NHLers soon - when they're ready. No need to rush them like Bailey.

2010 Snow drafted Niño, Nelson and Kabanov.
2011 he drafted Strome, Mayfield, Sundström, Kichton, Pedan, Russo, Persson and Theoret. That draft is almost perfect. All of those players can be "regular NHLers" in the near future.

There is three players drafted after Reinhart who are playing in the NHL right now. Grigorenko, Laughton and Matteau. I guess that you blame Snow for not drafting Stefan Matteau instead of Reinhart?

206 players was drafted after Strome. Only 9 has played in the NHL. Most of those players like Rakell, Bärtschi and Zibanejad hasn't played more than 10 games. Only two of the players who got drafted after Strome has played more than 10 games in the NHL. #8 Couturier and #139 Shaw. Do you blame Snow for drafting Strome instead of Andrew Shaw? I don't.


Last edited by Wanderson: 01-27-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 AM
  #9
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust
 
Scott Scissons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I've heard this from many of my friends who work for the Islanders. He is the new Milbury
Wow do you actually remember the Milbury years?

You made some fair arguements and while we do not agree I will admit they are interesting. However you have lost all credibility with this last statement.

The new milbury.

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:33 AM
  #10
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Why doesn't the good draft of 2008 count? Snow drafted Hammer, Martin and Ullström in that draft. He also drafted two regular NHLers 2009, Cizikas and JT. Maybe more to come in Lee, CdH and Nilsson. It seems like you don't know that our prospect pool is very deep and talented. Read about our prospects. It will be more NHLers soon - when they're ready. No need to rush them like Bailey.

2010 Snow drafted Niño, Nelson and Kabanov.
2011 he drafted Strome, Mayfield, Sundström, Kichton, Pedan, Russo, Persson and Theoret. That draft is almost perfect. All of those players can be "regular NHLers" in the near future.

There is three players drafted after Reinhart who are playing in the NHL right now. Grigorenko, Laughton and Matteau. I guess that you blame Snow for not drafting Stefan Matteau instead of Reinhart?

206 players was drafted after Strome. Only 9 has played in the NHL. Most of those players like Rakell, Bärtschi and Zibanejad hasn't played more than 10 games. Only two of the players who got drafted after Strome has played more than 10 games in the NHL. #8 Couturier and #139 Shaw. Do you blame Snow for drafting Strome instead of Andrew Shaw? I don't.
The 2008 draft doesn't count because there have been 4 drafts since then, with 6 first round picks, and tons of mid round picks and we have only John Tavares to show for it, a layup of a pick.

In 2009 he reaches for Calvin deHaan at #12
passing on current NHL regulars Kulikov, Kassian, Leddy, Kreider and Josefson to name a few

In 2010 he reaches a little once again for Nino at #5
passing on current NHL regulars Cam Fowler, Granlund, Skinner, Burmistrov and Terasenko

In 2011 he goes a little out of the box with Ryan Strome at #5 and while Strome has never played in an NHL game, Dougie Hamilton and Sean Couturier (both rated higher) follow Strome and look at them now.

Now in 2012 he reaches massively at #4 for Reinhart who was rated the 10th best NA skater in the draft and once again we watch as a bevy of better players follow.

If this doesn't spell it out enough I can go on for the truly thick skulled

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:37 AM
  #11
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Why doesn't the good draft of 2008 count? Snow drafted Hammer, Martin and Ullström in that draft. He also drafted two regular NHLers 2009, Cizikas and JT. Maybe more to come in Lee, CdH and Nilsson. It seems like you don't know that our prospect pool is very deep and talented. Read about our prospects. It will be more NHLers soon - when they're ready. No need to rush them like Bailey.

2010 Snow drafted Niño, Nelson and Kabanov.
2011 he drafted Strome, Mayfield, Sundström, Kichton, Pedan, Russo, Persson and Theoret. That draft is almost perfect. All of those players can be "regular NHLers" in the near future.

There is three players drafted after Reinhart who are playing in the NHL right now. Grigorenko, Laughton and Matteau. I guess that you blame Snow for not drafting Stefan Matteau instead of Reinhart?

206 players was drafted after Strome. Only 9 has played in the NHL. Most of those players like Rakell, Bärtschi and Zibanejad hasn't played more than 10 games. Only two of the players who got drafted after Strome has played more than 10 games in the NHL. #8 Couturier and #139 Shaw. Do you blame Snow for drafting Strome instead of Andrew Shaw? I don't.
And because he traded down twice which is fine but not when you take Josh "Mother-Bleeping" Bailey. And then Hodgson, Myers and ERIK KARLSSON follow

ERIK KARLSSON

Maybe one time Garth can reach and accidentally take, ummm, Jordan Eberle? Too much to ask? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 AM
  #12
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottScissons View Post
Wow do you actually remember the Milbury years?

You made some fair arguements and while we do not agree I will admit they are interesting. However you have lost all credibility with this last statement.

The new milbury.
Just merely stating that he has about 5-6 more bad drafts and he could be in the same conversation

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  #13
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
your assumption that one has to draft well is a stretch. There is a finite number of successful draft picks. Its obvious that a certain measure of luck, as well as good scouting, comes into play at drafts.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:16 AM
  #14
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
we don't have the depth at the NHL level to properly develop these kids like other teams do. It's got nothing to do with Garth. It's a slow process to build that. To bring youth up and have them succeed, you need to give them enough icetime and also give them someone they can learn and improve from.

We had one guy that could learn to improve on himself. That is JT. Luckily his leadership has made everyone that plays with him better, but we can't put all rookies on his line. Nielsen is also great to learn from, but because his hands are full covering up for other people's mistakes there is little time to learn from. Then everything else is garbage. 3rd and 4th line you are just a body and not improving or learning. Now with Aucoin, we're set. I truly believe that Nino can learn, improve and hit his stride come next season. Look at how Ullstrom has come to life on his life. We all knew ullstrom had it, but we couldn't see it on a nightly basis.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:26 AM
  #15
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Second guessing drafts in hindsight is a stupid and futile exercise unless one was really going off the board.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:43 AM
  #16
nyscene
Registered User
 
nyscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PANIC!
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500


Its like crazy-world over here. If Garth brings up the prospects early, he's bad & should be fired. if he lets them develop, he passed on better players, and should be fired.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:52 AM
  #17
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Just merely stating that he has about 5-6 more bad drafts and he could be in the same conversation
No you are saying that our GM has to get the best player no matter what in every draft. Because you think that he and his staff should have seen how great the other players were that they didn't draft. That somehow he would be the greatest GM ever and it is so easy. Like there has EVER been a GM that picked the best player(s) in everydraft they were running.

You have no logic on this and therefore the basis of your opinion is flawed. If the basis of your opinion is wrong, then it doesn't matter what direction you go in, you are still going the wrong way. You have nothing.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:53 AM
  #18
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Agreed. This thread is just dumb. You could selectively pick apart almost any team's draft history, in any of the 4 major sports. Every team passed on someone who ended up being good. Whats the point?

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:12 AM
  #19
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post


Its like crazy-world over here. If Garth brings up the prospects early, he's bad & should be fired. if he lets them develop, he passed on better players, and should be fired.
^ This, a 1000 times.

Snow is the OPPOSITE of Milbury, and frankly, that's why I'm alright with him despite certain factors.

Rather than re-hash everything I've said before in any thread calling for Snow's head, I'll just say I'd support giving him one or two steps into Barclays Center before kicking him overboard. While things are moving slow, they're going in the right direction.

88th Precinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:24 AM
  #20
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,103
vCash: 500
not everyone is John Tavares or Sean Coutirer. some players take longer to develop.

I'm not a Snow fan at all, but I've been pretty happy with his drafts. I'm not going to get on him because Casey Czikas took a few years to make it to the NHL. Nor am I going to get on him because de Haan has been injured much of his career, otherwise he very likely would have been up by now. I'm thankful neither of our goalies are up yet. Strome & Reinhart aren't ready. Nino is benefitting from more time in the AHL.

I think that every prospect drafted that deserves to be up, is up here. You want to get on him for the development and rushing of certain prospects. That's fair game. but don't get on him for choosing Ryan Strome over Dougie Hamilton or something. Strome was and is an excellent pick for this franchise. Just because Hamilton got to the NHL faster doesn't mean Snow messed up.

I also like how you just stick to 3 years ago. Because if you were talking about 4 years ago, then that's 5 NHL regulars the Islanders drafted, although Spurgeon is no longer here.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:25 AM
  #21
SaintTavares
Registered User
 
SaintTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
So your argument is that we should only judge him on the most recent of drafts, without giving any of those picks time to develop? Because a few players from other teams have already made the league, you assume our picks are wasted? And lets totally forget picking up guys like Moulson and Grabner, and having the guts to pick up Nabokov when he didn't want to play here and not flinching over it. Since the general consensus is that most people are ok with the job he's done, don't you think maybe you're overreacting a bit?

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:27 AM
  #22
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
If you choose to comment on my post I would appreciate it if you would read it first. The last 3 years would not include the 2008 draft, the one that Travis Hamonic was taken in. And yes, it isn't too much to ask for a few of the many prospects we've drafted since 2009 to actually play regularly for a team that hasn't been out of last place in 6 years. Especially when many of the players taken after guys like Strome, Nino and even Reinhart are already playing in the NHL
So basically you are picking and choosing what part of his tenure to blame him for...

Children, sounds quite childish to leave out facts that dampen your argument rather than look at the whole picture...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:29 AM
  #23
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Look, it's simple. We should draft the best NHL Players in every round of every draft, and they should all reach the NHL FIRST, before any other team has their draft picks playing for them.

Is that too much to ask?

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:39 AM
  #24
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User
 
OrangeZebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
We can't fire Snow, DP isn't ready to be GM yet.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:54 AM
  #25
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,601
vCash: 500
1. Its SNOW MUST GO! not Garth Must Go
2. The draft argument will never go over well on HF when prospects and draft picks are more valuable than having a winning team.
3. Snow has 1 good quality and that is getting his RFAs signed to good contracts. Nearly every other aspect of Snows tenure is pathetic

Snow is the worst GM in the 4 major sports. I do not care what restrictions he has from Wang, being a bottom 5 team for 5 straight years is an embarrassment. Snow should not have any excuses made for him. Finding, PAP, Moulson Grabner etc... for free was good work but the team was still in last with those players.

Remember, any idiot can lose and collect draft picks and prospects for 5 years. I am confident any poster from this board could have accomplished as little as Snow has in his tenure here. Losing is easy and should not be rewarded.

SNOW MUST GO!

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.