HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Captain Dion a -6

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 AM
  #1
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,007
vCash: 500
Captain Dion a -6

Granted he got 32 minutes last night, which is overboard for total minutes played by a defenseman if you ask me.

But something needs to change. Either he's not really a top 2 D, or he needs Gunnarson back, and needs to go back to his normal D position.


Last edited by ULF_55: 02-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:39 AM
  #2
tml145
Registered User
 
tml145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Granted he got 32 minutes last night, which is overboard for total minutes played by a defenseman if you ask me.

But something needs to change. Either he's not really a top 2 D, or he needs Gunnarson back, and needs to go back to his normal D position.
he needs to play 23 to 25 minutes a game

and if you ask me plus minus is overrated

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:39 AM
  #3
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
He made some solid plays tonight, just towards the end the defense as a whole was looking bad.

I think he's awesome most nights, people overanalyze him too much. He's definitely not perfect nor is he a superstar d-man on the level of Weber, Pronger, Chara etc. but he's right below that.

Give him a better d-partner though, that would definitely help.

Oh and let's not forget that we dont actually have a #1 Goalie.(not saying that was the problem tonight, just in general.)

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:40 AM
  #4
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,876
vCash: 166
He was playing against Gaborik, Nash, Richards all night tonight.. Pretty sure this is the same line that made Boston look silly too..

You people need to lower your expectations or something. These players aren't perfect.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:44 AM
  #5
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 4,684
vCash: 500
don't we have enough negative threads for one night/morning

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:05 AM
  #6
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He was playing against Gaborik, Nash, Richards all night tonight.. Pretty sure this is the same line that made Boston look silly too..

You people need to lower your expectations or something. These players aren't perfect.
Rangers have played four other games... Whih means 8 other 1st line defenders.

How come those other defenseman aren't all -8?

I'm not necessarily saying that phaneuf sucks... I'm just saying that EVERY other teams 1st pairing defenseman play against the other teams best players... And phaneuf has more goals scored against while he is on the ice han any other player in he entire league

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
  #7
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 50
Dion's a quality 2nd pair D who's forced into a role he not good enough to play . I have no idea why RC is riding him and Kostka to this extent , 30 plus minutes is nuts . All i can think of is he has very little confidence in the bottom pair guys he keeps rotating in and out of the line up .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
  #8
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Rangers have played four other games... Whih means 8 other 1st line defenders.

How come those other defenseman aren't all -8?

I'm not necessarily saying that phaneuf sucks... I'm just saying that EVERY other teams 1st pairing defenseman play against the other teams best players... And phaneuf has more goals scored against while he is on the ice han any other player in he entire league


Yo ho hello there!

Not only is he playing beside this guy but he played beside this guy against the best line in the NHL. +/- is a garbage stat and in fact I think Phaneuf played ****ing well today.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:22 AM
  #9
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post


Yo ho hello there!

Not only is he playing beside this guy but he played beside this guy against the best line in the NHL. +/- is a garbage stat and in fact I think Phaneuf played ****ing well today.

I'm overall a fan of phaneuf, but he's been lousy so far this season.

I'm sure he'll pick it up... But let's please stop with the homerism and let's call a spade a spade.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:26 AM
  #10
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I'm overall a fan of phaneuf, but he's been lousy so far this season.

I'm sure he'll pick it up... But let's please stop with the homerism and let's call a spade a spade.
Sure



It's a spade.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:30 AM
  #11
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,081
vCash: 50
Kostka 31:33
Phaneuf 32:38

Rangers top line ~22:00

Talk about being overplayed.

__________________
BLOW IT UP
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=119750&dateline=13841  93598
legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
  #12
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
Sure



It's a spade.
So you opted o NOT stop with the homerism.

Fascinating.

Remember... Every leaf player is tied for being the best player EVER, regardless of stats, observation, and factual evidence.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:40 AM
  #13
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
A player has the worst plus minus in the entire league... And he's still playin "well".

It's the coaches fault, the goalies fault, his defensive partners fault... At what point are we just making excuses for the worst plus minus player in the entire ****ing leaugue?

He's been ****ing terrible to start the ****in season. We've all seen him play much better. He almost forsurably will improve. So let's wait or it.
But enough with the homerism.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 AM
  #14
Kyle93
Registered User
 
Kyle93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
A player has the worst plus minus in the entire league... And he's still playin "well".

It's the coaches fault, the goalies fault, his defensive partners fault... At what point are we just making excuses for the worst plus minus player in the entire ****ing leaugue?

He's been ****ing terrible to start the ****in season. We've all seen him play much better. He almost forsurably will improve. So let's wait or it.
But enough with the homerism.
Are you ****ing serious? He has played his best hockey this year so far, he is playing against the opponents best lines and he kept our team to 2-1 until like 10-15 minutes before the end of the game. Team was tired and some lucky bounces and tip-ins which resulted in a goal. He has been getting 30 minutes a game and that is crazy, You are retarded if you think it is his fault, he is playing good.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 AM
  #15
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
Are you ****ing serious? He has played his best hockey this year so far, he is playing against the opponents best lines and he kept our team to 2-1 until like 10-15 minutes before the end of the game. Team was tired and some lucky bounces and tip-ins which resulted in a goal. He has been getting 30 minutes a game and that is crazy, You are retarded if you think it is his fault, he is playing good.
Please correct me if I'm wrong... But are you saying that the player with the worse plus/minus in the entire league is playing good defensive hockey?

Remember... EVERY teams best defenseman is Playing against the other teams best players. Yet dion still has the lowest +/- IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:34 AM
  #16
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
He's taking a lot of heat for last night's game, but I don't think he's entirely to blame. The forwards missed a lot of assignments. Reimer wasn't good enough either.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:06 AM
  #17
Jeebs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
I'm not a huge fan of Dion, but he's by far our best defenseman. +/- is total ********. He got a - when NY scored on a 4 on 2 with him playing with an AHL partner. 32 ****ing minutes? He's not god damn superman. Where the hell were our forwards?

Our 2 Best players last night were Dion and Reimer.

Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
  #18
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Dion, but he's by far our best defenseman. +/- is total ********. He got a - when NY scored on a 4 on 2 with him playing with an AHL partner. 32 ****ing minutes? He's not god damn superman. Where the hell were our forwards?

Our 2 Best players last night were Dion and Reimer.
I'm going to agree, about Dion anyway. The first goal, you had Bozak and Kessel casually trailing one of the Ranger players that ended up scoring. Or New York's second goal where Grabovski was just a step behind. Where's the hustle, you know?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 AM
  #19
CBinTokyo
Registered User
 
CBinTokyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 396
vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong... But are you saying that the player with the worse plus/minus in the entire league is playing good defensive hockey?

Remember... EVERY teams best defenseman is Playing against the other teams best players. Yet dion still has the lowest +/- IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!
Sigh.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are too intelligent to believe the crap you spew.

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:35 AM
  #20
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
+/- is a worthless stat. Phaneuf has played great for the bulk of this season.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:51 AM
  #21
buntek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Well this is a sensitive issue for many apparently... have a drink guys, my god.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:59 AM
  #22
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 566
We have a definite weakness on RD.

Komisarek, Kostka, Franson, and even Schenn couldn't even play 20 min to help him out.

Jones will cure these problems in the 2013 draft.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:06 AM
  #23
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
Shut up troll, If you would actually watch him play you would see what everyone is talking about. Also remember that the team is tired from 3 games in 4 nights, I know that is not an excuse though. The forwards were definitely the weak link, also as I said we kept them to 1 goal until near the end of the game where a few lucky goals, tip-ins happened and the momentum of the game switched.
Excuse after excuse.

The worst plus/minus in the league... And more excuses.

He's played badly so far. That's it.

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of players in the league... And he has the worst plus/minus.

If you want to call it 'bad luck', then go for it.

Who do you think is more likely deluded?
The person who says that the Player with the worst plus/minus in the entire league has been BAD thus far? Or the person claims that the player with the worse plus/minus in the entire league has played GOOD thus far.

Seriously take some time for self reflection before you answer that question.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:09 AM
  #24
Ash35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Dion's a quality 2nd pair D who's forced into a role he not good enough to play . I have no idea why RC is riding him and Kostka to this extent , 30 plus minutes is nuts . All i can think of is he has very little confidence in the bottom pair guys he keeps rotating in and out of the line up .
He's a former Norris Trophie candidate, an all star just last year and a couple of years ago everyone was shocked he didn't make Team Canada for the Olympics. How is he not a 1st pairing defencemen? He's just playing too much right now, especially for not really playing since last April.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:10 AM
  #25
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Excuse after excuse.

The worst plus/minus in the league... And more excuses.

He's played badly so far. That's it.

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of players in the league... And he has the worst plus/minus.

If you want to call it 'bad luck', then go for it.

Who do you think is more likely deluded?
The person who says that the Player with the worst plus/minus in the entire league has been BAD thus far? Or the person claims that the player with the worse plus/minus in the entire league has played GOOD thus far.

Seriously take some time for self reflection before you answer that question.
If you think Dion hurts this team more than helps, you need to find another sport because you clearly have no clue about hockey.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.