Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-27-2013, 06:30 AM
kihei

vCash: 1040
While Murray seemed to lose his fizz slowly beginning about the middle of the second set, Nole steadily improved. I wouldn't say we saw much of either player's "A" game, though. Not a vintage final, not really a vintage year for the tournament, either, but I'll remember Nole/Ferrer and Stephens/Serena a long time.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 500
Nice win. Great day serving and at the net, and he found his baseline game the last hour of the match.

Better match than I thought it would be.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Fighter
Legend

Way to go Nole!!!

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
While Murray seemed to lose his fizz slowly beginning about the middle of the second set, Nole steadily improved. I wouldn't say we saw much of either player's "A" game, though. Not a vintage final, not really a vintage year for the tournament, either, but I'll remember Nole/Ferrer and Stephens/Serena a long time.
That feather nonsense in the second set tie break is where it changed for me. He lost his concentration and served a double fault, that isn't an excuse, because it shouldn't have impacted him. Djokovic got the set and took control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQS View Post
Easy win for Novak. Not much drama like last year's finals. Oh well. Joker is the reigning king now and only maybe Nadal can consistently challenge him if he can stay healthy.
Murray has made the final of the last 3 Slams, won 1 and won the Olympics which every player wanted just as much. Djokovic is the best player in the world right now, but if Murray had won today he would clearly have been the best at this present moment.

Murray can certainly challenge him.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Ceremony
maybe it's time

vCash: 175
Disappointing, Murray lost it in the third and never really seemed like he would come back.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:50 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Murray has made the final of the last 3 Slams, won 1 and won the Olympics which every player wanted just as much. Djokovic is the best player in the world right now, but if Murray had won today he would clearly have been the best at this present moment.

I agree.

But the notion that Andy can keep winning the first set and losing the match (three times in a row now against Nole) is one of those little facts that can eat away at a player's psyche a little. Fairly or not, it brings up the issue of mental toughness, at least against Djokovic.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Disappointing, Murray lost it in the third and never really seemed like he would come back.
In too much pain probably.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:26 AM
GQS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

Murray can definitely challenge Novak, but if both players are playing at their best, Joker will win almost everytime. The same with Nadal probably. To beat either of those two, Andy has to hope he gets a break here or there or that he catches them on an off day.

GQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Just finished watching the match. Pretty boring until the third set.

Novak looked fresher after 3 hours. It's obvious that Murray wasn't 100%, but that wasn't the difference between winning and losing for him.

Well done, Nole. So happy!

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQS View Post
Murray can definitely challenge Novak, but if both players are playing at their best, Joker will win almost everytime. The same with Nadal probably. To beat either of those two, Andy has to hope he gets a break here or there or that he catches them on an off day.
Not the case at all. Nadal would be up against it on a hard court playing this Murray, at least the Nadal of the past couple of years. I would probably favor Murray over either of them on grass right now as well.

Like the US Open match, fitness and fatigue from their respective semifinal matches was an important factor.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Nadal will be up against it even on clay, I expect a while for him to adapt and get back to his usual self..if he does...

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

This is the best chance Novak is going to get to win the French Open. Nadal will still be the favorite, but Novak has come closer and closer. Took a set last year, and was playing well until the delay...

He's won AO, US Open, Wimbledon, 7 Masters 1000, ATP WTF. I bet he really wants FO, Olympic Gold, and the other 2 Masters 1000. That would be quite the career if he can accomplish all of them.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
kihei

As an historical footnote, Murray's victory in the semi finals marked the first time he ever defeated Roger Federer in a Grand Slam tournament. It was Murray's 29th Grand Slam appearance.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Just finished watching the match. Pretty boring until the third set.

Novak looked fresher after 3 hours. It's obvious that Murray wasn't 100%, but that wasn't the difference between winning and losing for him.

Well done, Nole. So happy!

Nole also had an extra day rest on Murray and he also played 3 sets in semis while Murray played a tough 5 setter against Federer.

So glad Murray lost.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote