HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

Old
01-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
This thread looks extremely idiotic now..

JVRs been one of our bright spots and IMO our best overall forward. He's crashing the nets, setting up nice plays, and scoring goals. The rest of our team though...

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:14 PM
stuccoman

I liked JVR, I really like Schenn. We need a good young player on defense right now a lot more than we need JVR.

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccoman View Post
I liked JVR, I really like Schenn. We need a good young player on defense right now a lot more than we need JVR.
Yea it was a great trade. Both of them needed a change of scenery and both have succeeded on their new teams thus far.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Yea it was a great trade. Both of them needed a change of scenery and both have succeeded on their new teams thus far.
Good to hear. I have to say though a lot of the scouting reports on Schenn out of Toronto have been pretty inaccurate so far this season.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Good to hear. I have to say though a lot of the scouting reports on Schenn out of Toronto have been pretty inaccurate so far this season.
The old flamingo stance? Haha, that was more of a result of Wilson.

Believe it or not, Komisarek has been our best Dman this year. Wilson's coaching style (or lack of it) was the death of DFD like Komi and Schenn.

I'm a huge Schenn supporter, I bought his jersey ( ) he's awesome when he's on his game. Not the fastest Dman. But he gets **** done. Lays huge hits, good defensively, etc. great to hear he is playing as his old self.

Also, one question for you. Have you been using him on the PK? He was pretty bad on it as a leaf, but I'm not sure if its because of him or the terrible penalty killing strategy of standing like a pylon that Wilson implemented

Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
The old flamingo stance? Haha, that was more of a result of Wilson.

Believe it or not, Komisarek has been our best Dman this year. Wilson's coaching style (or lack of it) was the death of DFD like Komi and Schenn.

I'm a huge Schenn supporter, I bought his jersey ( ) he's awesome when he's on his game. Not the fastest Dman. But he gets **** done. Lays huge hits, good defensively, etc. great to hear he is playing as his old self.

Also, one question for you. Have you been using him on the PK? He was pretty bad on it as a leaf, but I'm not sure if its because of him or the terrible penalty killing strategy of standing like a pylon that Wilson implemented
We've really have no choice but to play him on the PK. That's what happens when you have Kurtis Foster and Bruno Gervais in your line up lol. But Up until the last 2 games our PK unit as a whole has been pretty bad.

Someone posted in tonight's game thread his ice times for all the games so far and his time has been increasing every game. He played 19 minutes tonight and was probably our best defensmen. I think his increase in ice time has shown the coaches are really liking what they see from him so far and trusting him enough to put him out there 20 mintues a game.

I think his downfall in Toronto was due to bad coaching and management (no offense). I think they tried to make him be another Phaneuf and made him bulk up in weight. I think that killed his speed. He's now playing at a lighter weight than he did in Toronto so it's helped his skating/speed out. Our coaching staff and Chris Pronger has been teaching him how to simplify his game and play safer. He's not putting himself out of position by going for a big hit. He's learned that you can still hit guys while being in a good defensive position. He's playing with a good veteran in Timonen so that probably helps too.

I'm really liking this trade so far and Luke is becoming one of my favorite players on the team.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-27-2013 at 12:55 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:26 AM
dats81

Quote:
This thread looks extremely idiotic now..

JVRs been one of our bright spots and IMO our best overall forward. He's crashing the nets, setting up nice plays, and scoring goals. The rest of our team though...
Enjoy it while it lasts!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Take a step back for a second and look at what you wrote and realize how stupid it sounds. Any player is not good when they "don't have their game". I realize you were attempting to come up with a creative way to restate the same old boring line that "JVR is inconsistent", but what ended up coming out was an extremely dumb statement.

Also, as I've stated now several times, a 23 year old power forward who went the NCAA route of development struggled with consistency issues over his first 3 years (w/ the 3rd year being injury riddled); OH THE HORROR.

There once was this player named John LeClair, maybe you've heard of him? His original team gave up on him too after 3 years and change of inconsistent play. At the time his original team gave up on him, LeClair was 24 (JVR is 23). LeClair's best stat line at the time was 19 goals, 25 assists, 44 points (JVR's best year was 21 goals, 19 assists, 40 points).

The similarities are uncanny. Hopefully the similarities end there. If not, then we'll regret this trade for the next decade.

Oh, and just for fun (since you claim JVR has consistency issues that he'll never get over), the last 30 games that JVR played for the Flyers when healthy looked like this: 15 goals, 8 assists, 23 points.
Just because JvR is 6'3" doesn't make him a power forward. He's more finesse than power. Please stop comparing him to John LeClair. LeClair set up shop in front of the net and used his size and strength to get a ton of garbage goals. Mike Knuble was closer to John LeClair than JvR ever will be.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Jordan941

Schenner has been great for us so far! Ya know, the real problem I always had with JVR is that he was very lackadaisical on the ice when he was having a bad game. Just going through the motions, but when he was on his game he was out hustling everyone. I hope he can put it together and maintain a steady career or playing hard because I've always liked him....but I'm not sure I can see it happening. Either way, good luck with him and I'll be rooting for him to outplay his days in Philly.

Jordan941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan941 View Post
Schenner has been great for us so far! Ya know, the real problem I always had with JVR is that he was very lackadaisical on the ice when he was having a bad game. Just going through the motions, but when he was on his game he was out hustling everyone. I hope he can put it together and maintain a steady career or playing hard because I've always liked him....but I'm not sure I can see it happening. Either way, good luck with him and I'll be rooting for him to outplay his days in Philly.
The biggest problem with JVR is he was injured all the time.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
The biggest problem with JVR is he was injured all the time.
The only problem really...

Also, to a certain Leaf fan:

I told you so.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
That's why I didn't wanna trade JVR for L Schenn because if he reaches his potential he'll at least hit 30 a couple times and could make Homer look stupid. Can Luke be more then a shutdown Dman? I hope so.

I just feel like that could be a waste of a nice asset to help grab a #1D and could of been used in a deal for someone like Weber I'm sure B Schenn + JVR would have enticed Nashville.
We wouldn't have done it if we were not super super desperate for defense help. Looking at the battered state of our defense corps, it's justifiable.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Unstable

Both players needed a change of scene.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I think only Schenn needed a change of scenery. Jvr just needed to get healthy. I believe he would have done well this year next to Giroux. I don't think he worked last year because he couldn't find a role on that line. With Jagr on the line Jvr was kind of redundant.

That's one reason why I don't think I'd want Giroux and Voracek on the same line. It's nice on the PP, but I don't know if they'd complement each other, or if Giroux would make Voracek redundant.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:13 AM
RogerRoeper*

JVR has been very solid. This thread is a joke.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Great trade for both teams!

Always a Schenn fan. Loving JVR.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Just because JvR is 6'3" doesn't make him a power forward. He's more finesse than power. Please stop comparing him to John LeClair. LeClair set up shop in front of the net and used his size and strength to get a ton of garbage goals. Mike Knuble was closer to John LeClair than JvR ever will be.
Two of JVR's goals this year have been tip ins from the front of the net . He might not have played like a power forward while in Orange and Black, but he's only 23 and his game seems to be evolving. I've watched most of the Maple Leafs games this year and he seems to be committed to going to the dirty areas and taking the body.

Dunno if it will last, but so far he's been great (just like the guy we got in the deal, Luke Schenn).

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Two of JVR's goals this year have been tip ins from the front of the net . He might not have played like a power forward while in Orange and Black, but he's only 23 and his game seems to be evolving. I've watched most of the Maple Leafs games this year and he seems to be committed to going to the dirty areas and taking the body.

Dunno if it will last, but so far he's been great (just like the guy we got in the deal, Luke Schenn).
He has been doing that for a while now. People just have some unnatural dislike for anyone that is over 6'1" when they don't hit or fight. Carter got hated on all the time, but his foot injuries came from getting hit with pucks while standing in front of the net.

Jvr was playing well when he drove to the net, and he started doing that more consistently in the later part of the season a couple years ago, and we all saw it against Boston in the playoffs. He didn't have an opportunity to do it last year because of all his injuries.

I'm glad Schenn has looked thinner and quicker than before because I thought this was going to be a bad trade. Right now it looks like it might be a fair one.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yeah, playing in front of the net certainly wasn't a gripe of mine. His tendency that annoyed me to no end was when he'd enter the zone along the boards and get stopped every single time, or fire off a crap-angle shot.

01-27-2013, 12:11 PM
healthyscratch

Excellent, through 5 games it sounds like two hall of famers were traded for each other!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, playing in front of the net certainly wasn't a gripe of mine. His tendency that annoyed me to no end was when he'd enter the zone along the boards and get stopped every single time, or fire off a crap-angle shot.
Carter or JVR?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Or be forced behind the net for a Craparound

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We've really have no choice but to play him on the PK. That's what happens when you have Kurtis Foster and Bruno Gervais in your line up lol. But Up until the last 2 games our PK unit as a whole has been pretty bad.

Someone posted in tonight's game thread his ice times for all the games so far and his time has been increasing every game. He played 19 minutes tonight and was probably our best defensmen. I think his increase in ice time has shown the coaches are really liking what they see from him so far and trusting him enough to put him out there 20 mintues a game.

I think his downfall in Toronto was due to bad coaching and management (no offense). I think they tried to make him be another Phaneuf and made him bulk up in weight. I think that killed his speed. He's now playing at a lighter weight than he did in Toronto so it's helped his skating/speed out. Our coaching staff and Chris Pronger has been teaching him how to simplify his game and play safer. He's not putting himself out of position by going for a big hit. He's learned that you can still hit guys while being in a good defensive position. He's playing with a good veteran in Timonen so that probably helps too.

I'm really liking this trade so far and Luke is becoming one of my favorite players on the team.
Good to hear he's getting more ice-time. Schenn's the kind of guy where when you give him more playing time and more responsibility he completely runs with it. When he was playing 22-25 minutes a game he was at his absolute best. I miss him, he was one of the few players who I was truly sad to see go over the last few years, great guy who was always a class act and stood up for his teammates as a kid when nobody else would because our team was butter soft. He took so many beatings from Chris Neil...

If he returns to his 3rd season form, you guys got something real good on your hands. And at this point I trust Philly's development of young players a lot more.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Or be forced behind the net for a Craparound
Oh WOW I forgot about that. Instant stoppage of play. Instant faceoff we'd lose. I hope Toronto tells him to pass from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Carter or JVR?
Carter could/can at least cut back towards the center and get a shot off. JVR generally just stayed along the boards until the defenseman stopped him.

He did do that though. That was awesome, should have counted.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
AaronTrieu

The greatest goal that never counted

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote