HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

vCash: 500
Love seeing the Patriots lose!

Old
01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
rpontbriand

Spent the first 28 years of my life cheering for the Pats before moving to Denver. The first few years I cheered for the Pats EVERY time against the Broncos. I have gone from that to not only cheering for Denver every time but HATING the Patriots!

Peyton Manning overrated? Ummm ... over the last long stretch I think Mr. Brady as inched ahead.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Forget the exact record, but Brady is something like 6-7 or 6-8 in his last few years of playoff games.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Geroy Simon traded to Saskatchewan. SUCK IT BRICKY!

Old
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Geroy Simon traded to Saskatchewan. SUCK IT BRICKY!
Why u talk fake football here?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

At the Senior Bowl the Broncos had formal interviews with:
Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
Brian Winter, OT, Kent State

Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
At the Senior Bowl the Broncos had formal interviews with:
Brian Winter, OT, Kent State
A tackle? /confused

Old
01-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
A tackle? /confused
Probably move him to center or guard (depending on Kupers health). Or maybe Franklin is getting moved to guard?

Old
01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Potentially bracing for losing Clady?

Old
01-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Potentially bracing for losing Clady?
They can franchise tag him for one more year and maybe two.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
They can franchise tag him for one more year and maybe two.
That's assuming he doesn't get new contract.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyway I've seen Winters projected as a guard.

An updated list:

Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida
Brian Winters, OL, Kent State

Old
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Probably move him to center or guard (depending on Kupers health). Or maybe Franklin is getting moved to guard?
There has been some talk that it might be better to move Franklin inside to guard.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Anyway I've seen Winters projected as a guard.

An updated list:

Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida
Brian Winters, OL, Kent State
Would like to see them talking to some defensive tackles. Another draft where that seems to be a deep position. Still need improvement up the middle of the D, tackles, MLB and safeties.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Bonzai12

I wouldn't be shocked to see them pick a S or a WR in the first 2 rounds. DT probably later in the draft.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:43 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see them pick a S or a WR in the first 2 rounds. DT probably later in the draft.
Safety, slot WR, OG/C, DT, MLB all positions I'd like to see addressed.

The problem with selecting a DT later in the draft is that is the approach the Broncos always seem to take and they have yet to come up with a DT that can provide a consistent pass rush threat up the middle. Get one of those and just watch how much even more effective Doom and Von become. Hard to get those guys in later rounds or FA unless you are really lucky or spend big. You will be lucky to get one of those DT's late in the draft. They go fast.

Maybe we can steal Henry Melton in Free Agency from the Bears but I'd be shocked if they don't sign him.

Ravens exposed the need for a serious upgrade at DT.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

None of those guys is projected in the first round and you can't draw many conclusions at this point. Shanahan famously ignored Cutler before the draft.

Randy Starks is the DT who I could see hitting the open market. Miami has Jake Long to resign.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
The problem with selecting a DT later in the draft is that is the approach the Broncos always seem to take and they have yet to come up with a DT that can provide a consistent pass rush threat up the middle. Get one of those and just watch how much even more effective Doom and Von become.
Do you really want a DT that's a pass rusher though? We had that in Warren years back. Granted he wasn't that good, but I remember him just getting mauled in the run game. If they'd wanted a pass rushing DT they could have kept Wolfe there. I think they're looking for someone to stuff the run at DT, and it's a huge need with Doom already susceptible to the run. The whole line can't be pass rushers.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
anleva

Quote:
Do you really want a DT that's a pass rusher though? We had that in Warren years back. Granted he wasn't that good, but I remember him just getting mauled in the run game. If they'd wanted a pass rushing DT they could have kept Wolfe there. I think they're looking for someone to stuff the run at DT, and it's a huge need with Doom already susceptible to the run. The whole line can't be pass rushers.
Yes, of course I do. It will make everyone more effective. You need to be able to put pressure up the middle as well as the edge. We don't do a very good job at that.

I want an interior defensive lineman that can collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB so they can't step up in the pocket and get occasional sacks. We have not had one of those. Warren was not one of those. He barely played due to injury and he was a classic 3-4 defense, 5 technique 2 gap player anyway (hold the point of attack not get after the QB). I'm talking about a 3 technique 1 gap under tackle that puts pressure up the middle and gets after the QB.

Wolfe doesn't provide that up the middle threat either.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Bonzai12

Warren was traded by the Broncos because he didn't fit into Jim Bates system. Bates employed a 4-3 but required his DT's to plug the middle. Warren was a pass rusher and didn't fit the scheme. He actually was sent off to the Raiders and played along Warren Sapp where he fit their system better as a pass rushing DT.

Warren was pretty overrated but he was definitely a pass rushing DT. The Broncos just couldn't get their heads on straight whether they wanted to be a 4-3 or 3-4 defense in those brutal years.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

I want them to take a running back with #28. If Lacey from Alabam is still there I think you take him and run. Then you likely cut McGahee loose and at least early on platoon Knowshon (dude earned another chance) Lacey and Hillman. If Hillman still can't pick up the pass blocking he can join Lance Ball on Special Teams.

What do you all think about Revis? The Jets would probably want a WR as part of the package, but they would have to be willing to take Decker and not Thomas.

As for the O-Line. I know he's long in the tooth but Koppen is pretty much a must re-sign at this point no? I mean look at how much better they looked wehn he stepped in. Plus he really worked well with Manning.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I want them to take a running back with #28. If Lacey from Alabam is still there I think you take him and run. Then you likely cut McGahee loose and at least early on platoon Knowshon (dude earned another chance) Lacey and Hillman. If Hillman still can't pick up the pass blocking he can join Lance Ball on Special Teams.
Remeber the good old days when the Broncos never took a RB in the 1st round and more often than not they broke 1K? Why did we go away from that.

Mike Gillisee, Florida and Jonathan Franklin, UCLA were the big risers this week.

I'd give Hillis another shot.

Quote:
What do you all think about Revis? The Jets would probably want a WR as part of the package, but they would have to be willing to take Decker and not Thomas.
Hell no! Wouldn't trade our 1st, be very reluctant to trade our 2nd and deffinately not give up one of our two WRs.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
anleva

Quote:
Warren was traded by the Broncos because he didn't fit into Jim Bates system. Bates employed a 4-3 but required his DT's to plug the middle. Warren was a pass rusher and didn't fit the scheme. He actually was sent off to the Raiders and played along Warren Sapp where he fit their system better as a pass rushing DT.

Warren was pretty overrated but he was definitely a pass rushing DT. The Broncos just couldn't get their heads on straight whether they wanted to be a 4-3 or 3-4 defense in those brutal years.
LOL. I've been talking about Ty Warren and you've been talking about Gerard Warren.

That said, I want an upgrade at DT that is capable of collapsing the pocket and putting pressure on the QB.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
anleva

Quote:

What do you all think about Revis? The Jets would probably want a WR as part of the package, but they would have to be willing to take Decker and not Thomas. But I love Lacey, sure would look good on the Broncos.

As for the O-Line. I know he's long in the tooth but Koppen is pretty much a must re-sign at this point no? I mean look at how much better they looked wehn he stepped in. Plus he really worked well with Manning.
I think RB is a need but lower on the priority scale so I wouldn't take one in the 1st round. Actually I wish they would just go BPA at their positions of need (which are several). But Lacey sure would look good in a Broncos uniform, love how he runs.

I love Revis as a player (though have reservations given his knee surgery) but going after him would create more holes or not fill more important holes. If the thinking was you get him and moved Champ to safety then maybe it makes sense but what did you do to get there? Move your top 2 draft picks? Lose DT? Please don't take away any weapons from Manning.

I think they should re-sign Koppen. He is better than J.D. Walton and is in sync with Manning. OG/C is one position though I hope they address in rounds 2-3 if the right players are available.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Some other players the Broncos observed in Mobile:

EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State

Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Duane Gratz, CB, UConn

Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State