HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Ice - radical action needed by MLSE

Old
01-27-2013, 06:31 AM
limeyleafsfan

vCash: 500
Home Ice - radical action needed by MLSE

Once again the record on home ice is poor and I wouldn't mind betting will continue in a similar vein through this shortened season and as a result any chance of the post-season will be dashed.

Aside from the actual on-ice performance a significant contributory factor is that the ACC is palpably NOT an intimidating venue for visiting teams. The only consistent noise come from the 500 level and gets lost down below.

The key areas down near ice-level are filled with the suits. Now here is the rub. I've never thought the best place to watch a hockey game is near the ice. Mid-level is by far the best for getting the premier all-round view of the ice.

This of course will never happen but until we can get more true hard-core fans down near the ice, making noise, actually supporting the team, the ACC will continue to resemble a library and a friendly place for visiting teams.

MLSE needs to re-brand the seating plans, 'SELL' the premier seats to the suits at mid-level and have the real fans in seats near the ice and up at 500 level and thus 'squeeze out the silence'.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on how the ACC COULD be made a more intimidating venue.

limeyleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:47 AM
hullsy47

only radical action is to trade kessel for getzlaf and start to get some inspired folks playing for canadas team
kessel looks like a guy who lost too much money playing poker during the lockout .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:28 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Id like to find out where this 500 level is.

The team is not very good. When the team is good, the building will be rocking. Find some clips of Sundin era payoff games and see if there is a problem with the ACC. Spoiler alert: there isn't.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Id like to find out where this 500 level is.

The team is not very good. When the team is good, the building will be rocking. Find some clips of Sundin era payoff games and see if there is a problem with the ACC. Spoiler alert: there isn't.
I bet if you polled NHL players and asked which building was the quietest in the league, the ACC would be right up there. I've gone to many a game, the crowd is embarrassing, when you yell and stand people look at you like you're high on crack or something. Place is a morgue.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I bet if you polled NHL players and asked which building was the quietest in the league, the ACC would be right up there. I've gone to many a game, the crowd is embarrassing, when you yell and stand people look at you like you're high on crack or something. Place is a morgue.
I've gone to many a game as well, haven't experienced anything like that.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:15 AM
Clark4Ever

It wasn't always like this. The crowds I remember at the Gardens and the early years at the ACC were boisterous.

The futility of the last decade has sucked the life out of the home crowd.

Clark4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:16 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
I've gone to many a game as well, haven't experienced anything like that.
That's funny.

Again, poll NHL players, I'm sure it will put this argument to rest.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:17 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Again, team is garbage

Crowd was hot against buffalo at the end of the game. To the point the fans were blocking the main camera.

Maybe you should poll some people who have been to playoff games and see what they say.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Again, team is garbage

Crowd was hot against buffalo at the end of the game. To the point the fans were blocking the main camera.

Maybe you should poll some people who have been to playoff games and see what they say.
EVERY building is rocking for playoffs, GET OUT MORE PEOPLE.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:20 AM
RogerRoeper*

The ACC is plenty loud during Raptors games. It can't be the arena.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:21 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The ACC is plenty loud during Raptors games. It can't be the arena.
BINGO! And that is because REGULAR people go to Raptor's games, try to find suits in the first rows, TRY!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
BINGO! And that is because REGULAR people go to Raptor's games, try to find suits in the first rows, TRY!
Yup. The Raptors crowd is actually much more of what their average fans are than Leaf fans at the ACC. Most hardcore fans never get to go to a Leafs game.

The Raptors can have 5 thousand empty seats and the place is still rocking for a bottom feeder.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Pyrolemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyleafsfan View Post
Once again the record on home ice is poor and I wouldn't mind betting will continue in a similar vein through this shortened season and as a result any chance of the post-season will be dashed.

Aside from the actual on-ice performance a significant contributory factor is that the ACC is palpably NOT an intimidating venue for visiting teams. The only consistent noise come from the 500 level and gets lost down below.

The key areas down near ice-level are filled with the suits. Now here is the rub. I've never thought the best place to watch a hockey game is near the ice. Mid-level is by far the best for getting the premier all-round view of the ice.

This of course will never happen but until we can get more true hard-core fans down near the ice, making noise, actually supporting the team, the ACC will continue to resemble a library and a friendly place for visiting teams.

MLSE needs to re-brand the seating plans, 'SELL' the premier seats to the suits at mid-level and have the real fans in seats near the ice and up at 500 level and thus 'squeeze out the silence'.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on how the ACC COULD be made a more intimidating venue.
The title of your thread says, radical changes needed by MLSE... they're running a business and as long as they make boatloads of $$$ they don't NEED to make any changes. It's the nature of the beast, MLSE doesn't care about the home crowd, as long as they keep buying tickets and stuff from the concession stands.

Pyrolemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
That's funny.

Again, poll NHL players, I'm sure it will put this argument to rest.
This is completely unrelated to my post. You stated something very specific that I know from my own experiences going to games is false. The only thing that's "funny" is that you think you've said anything even remotely insightful. Are you going to put forth an effort or conduct yourself like the Leafs playing the Islanders? Let me know because I can just ram my head against a brick wall and save myself the bandwidth.

I didn't say the ACC is loud (because, surprise surprise, I don't believe that). What you said (that cheering is actively discouraged and looked down upon), is just plain false in my experiences going to games in both the upper and lower bowl. I fail to see how NHL players are going to put that one to rest.

edit: People care about the Raptors? News to me.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
This is completely unrelated to my post. You stated something very specific that I know from my own experiences going to games is false. The only thing that's "funny" is that you think you've said anything even remotely insightful. Are you going to put forth an effort or conduct yourself like the Leafs playing the Islanders? Let me know because I can just ram my head against a brick wall and save myself the bandwidth.

I didn't say the ACC is loud (because, surprise surprise, I don't believe that). What you said (that cheering is actively discouraged and looked down upon), is just plain false in my experiences going to games in both the upper and lower bowl. I fail to see how NHL players are going to put that one to rest.

edit: People care about the Raptors? News to me.
Tripe.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Erdinger

Can all pre-game ceremonies. It seems to make the teams sluggish from the get go which takes the crowd out of it. Plus it would save MLSE money.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 AM
RogerRoeper*

Phoeniz Coyotees need radical changes. Not the team making the most money out of their home games.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Tripe.
Good one.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Good one.
Bit wordy I thought, given your insightful rebuttal, but...

Old
01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Bit wordy I thought, given your insightful rebuttal, but...
Should we poll NHL players to put to rest who was more insightful?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Twix
Patch of velcro

If you want the acc to get crazy like Montreal or Winnipeg the answer is simple: make alcohol really cheap. I take no responsibility for the ensuing gong show.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:54 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Should we poll NHL players to put to rest who was more insightful?
No, much better to rely on your biased view, rather than taking a poll of 700 people who actually play in all 30 arenas. Yawn dude.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If you want the acc to get crazy like Montreal or Winnipeg the answer is simple: make alcohol really cheap. I take no responsibility for the ensuing gong show.
My understanding is that the Bell Centre amplifies the crowd noise over the sound system. I certainly believe it in the games I've been to there. All that noise makes it too hard to be closing that business deal for it to work in the ACC.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
People in Winnipeg are so giddy over hockey returning, their players could take a crap on the ice and get a standing ovation.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
People in Winnipeg are so giddy over hockey returning, their players could take a crap on the ice and get a standing ovation.
Leafs do that almost every home game