HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

Old
01-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Outside of the big 4(eberle, hall, rnh, yak)+ Schultz, the oilers are extremely barebones.

Honestly that rebuild is going at a snail pace, they need ALOT of supporting pieces.
You are kidding, right?

Gagner,Magnus Paajarv,Petry,Klefboom,Bunz,Roy,Marincin,Musil,Gar nat,Reider,Zharkov.

The pieces are in place.

Let alone the rince and repeat of stocking the shelves if they every decide to flush Hemsky,Smyth,Whitney,Horcoff, N Shultz

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Pyrolemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
It's going to take a few years for Nonis or any other GM to undo the mess Burke left behind .
Love how for once a GM actually starts building up the farm team instead of trading it away unlike all the previous GMs, yet is labelled as making a huge mess of things. The Kessel trade was a disaster, but I'd rather have this crop of players vs. what we had when he arrived. At least things were headed in the right direction, albeit slower than we'd prefer.

That being said, to everyone who repeats the Leafs aren't good enough: no s***, did you expect them to be a contender before we started the season? How is this a surprise to anyone, especially to people who are following this team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

About 5 teams at least have 3 players as good as Kessel.

Also, Hockey is so much more than just scoring.

Actually, hockey is NOT so much more than scoring. Try winning a game by scoring no goals. The objective of a hockey game is to score more goals than your opponent. That's what we tell people experiencing the game for the first time. Teams either are trying to score or trying to prevent their opponent from scoring. No ands, ifs or buts. That part of your post: epic fail.

Pyrolemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Step back

Seriously

Reading the posts in here for the last few days, I'm beginning to think a lot of you say one thing but really don't mean it. Before the season started, there were prediction threads where the consensus was the Leafs might get lucky and make the playoffs provided the went on a hot streak but would most likely suck. There were threads (and still is) on not trading for Luongo so we could run with what we have. There were tanking threads....remember "not winnin for Mackinnon"? There were comments complimenting Nonis for not trading away our prospects (Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner). Everyone is ecstatic that Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong are gone and we're playing the kids.

Well guess what? This is what you wanted. you wanted to run with the kids and suffer the consequences. You wanted to finish at the bottom so we could draft a stud center considering how deep the draft is supposed to be this year. You didn't want to be mediocre and just finish outside the playoffs. Make up your damn minds. You can't win hockey games and finish at the bottom.

I really believe some of you will never ever be happy. You'd rather just have something to complain about.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:27 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrolemur View Post
Love how for once a GM actually starts building up the farm team instead of trading it away unlike all the previous GMs, yet is labelled as making a huge mess of things. The Kessel trade was a disaster, but I'd rather have this crop of players vs. what we had when he arrived. At least things were headed in the right direction, albeit slower than we'd prefer.

That being said, to everyone who repeats the Leafs aren't good enough: no s***, did you expect them to be a contender before we started the season? How is this a surprise to anyone, especially to people who are following this team?

[/B]
Actually, hockey is NOT so much more than scoring. Try winning a game by scoring no goals. The objective of a hockey game is to score more goals than your opponent. That's what we tell people experiencing the game for the first time. Teams either are trying to score or trying to prevent their opponent from scoring. No ands, ifs or buts. That part of your post: epic fail.
every team needs leadership and chemistry ......we lack both ......other than kadri ,gardiner and maybe frattin and jesseie blacker .....the rest should be o the block ...im saying u trade them all ,but u show these guys the burke era is completley gone.....the sky isn falling ....but if carlyle is gonna stay ,he needs players that buy into some kinda system .....riemer save a double digit loos last nite ......after 7 to the islanders ,kotska is a mnor leaguer ,but if our goal is for rogers /bell to get a good young canadian to market the crap outta .well im all for it ......right now this team lack an identity ...oops well maybe i should say ,lack a direction ,its like everyone wants to be first outta dodge

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Confucius

I didn't expect them to be good. Just bite the bullet draft a couple of good guys this summer. Sign a UFA. Forget about making trades. Unless we are the team giving up a vet for Youth.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 AM
freshwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Seriously

Reading the posts in here for the last few days, I'm beginning to think a lot of you say one thing but really don't mean it. Before the season started, there were prediction threads where the consensus was the Leafs might get lucky and make the playoffs provided the went on a hot streak but would most likely suck. There were threads (and still is) on not trading for Luongo so we could run with what we have. There were tanking threads....remember "not winnin for Mackinnon"? There were comments complimenting Nonis for not trading away our prospects (Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner). Everyone is ecstatic that Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong are gone and we're playing the kids.

Well guess what? This is what you wanted. you wanted to run with the kids and suffer the consequences. You wanted to finish at the bottom so we could draft a stud center considering how deep the draft is supposed to be this year. You didn't want to be mediocre and just finish outside the playoffs. Make up your damn minds. You can't win hockey games and finish at the bottom.

I really believe some of you will never ever be happy. You'd rather just have something to complain about.
bazinga

dead bang on

freshwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:46 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Seriously

Very well said. There's even a thread up now complaining about how the crowd is not cheering enough.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Seriously

This is what I wanted, and Im okay with whats been going on. Leafs need a high draft pick this year.

Its good that we get to see the kids play and develop.

I can't speak for the other people who have been complaining.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Donmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Very well said. There's even a thread up now complaining about how the crowd is not cheering enough.
I'm in a thread complaining about other threads complaining while complaining myself.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Play the kids? Youngest player on the roster is Kadri and he is 22, JVR is 23 then Reimer at 24 are the only ones I would consider being some what kids add Gardiner, 22 when he returns.

The rest of the team is players heading to their prime or already there ages between 25 and 30. We are the 4th youngest team in the league, even younger then the Oilers but that is because we dont have many older veterans who are 30+. But we are not a kids team by any means.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I'm in a thread complaining about other threads complaining while complaining
Because some people have the memory of a pigeon.

Everyone predicted we would finish lower in the standings while playing the kids... well here we are.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Seriously

I'd be curious to know the Leafs record with Lupul in the lineup and without. Not sure, but I think you'll find one of the most dramatic differences ever.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Steve

As long as we get a solid pick, I'm ok with failing this season. If there is any merit to the Luongo rumors. I just hope it holds out till next year.

I'm fully prepared for a top 3 pick. I just hope we make a solid go at the UFA market and this team could be turned around next year and for the future all at once.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Seriously

Your the one that needs to step back,mate.

Who are these "you"?

Is it the so called "tankers" screaming bloody murder right now? Maybe? Maybe some are calling for "clean the decks more" but that is consistent "tank" stratagem. Players for picks/prospects.

You wanna call the "yous" outs, then find the hypocrites and link/post the conflicts of interest/post history.

We maybe all sailing in the same ocean but we sure as hell are not all in the same boat.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:54 AM
RogerRoeper*

Now this is a great thread.

If we're terrible and get a top pick, is that a bad thing?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Now this is a great thread.

If we're terrible and get a top pick, is that a bad thing?
If you ask me this is the perfect time to so call "tank".

Shortened season =s less pain and suffering.

Great draft crop = higher % chance of the home run.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
If you ask me this is the perfect time to so call "tank".

Shortened season =s less pain and suffering.

Great draft crop = higher % chance of the home run.
A lot of us weren't sure if we'd even see hockey so 48 bad games is not terrible.

You add a top pick+ all that cap room, the organization isn't in bad shape at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:00 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I'm in a thread complaining about other threads complaining while complaining myself.
One too many "complainings", two would have sufficed. Not that I'm complaining.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:00 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

We don't even have to tank until the deadline too.

Post trade-deadline is like 10 games this season.

Awesome time to tank; shortened season + deep draft = win win win for Leafs future.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Pilky01

I am totally okay with losing. If there was ever a year to tank (other than those first few Burke years had that idiot not dealt the picks) this is it.

It is just frustrating to watch Brian Burke's mistakes look so stupid out there knowing this is the tank job we should have done four seasons ago.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
K19*

Yeah, I'm fully on board the 'play the kids and hopefully end up with a top-5 pick' bandwagon. The losing is to be expected. I like everything Nonis has done so far, minus the Lupul re-signing. If Nonis doesn't have the balls to trade Lupul, then you can bet your ass he's going to try his damnedest to re-sign Kessel. However, as long as we get a great center prospect in the draft I'll be happy.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:11 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Your the one that needs to step back,mate.

Who are these "you"?

Is it the so called "tankers" screaming bloody murder right now? Maybe? Maybe some are calling for "clean the decks more" but that is consistent "tank" stratagem. Players for picks/prospects.

You wanna call the "yous" outs, then find the hypocrites and link/post the conflicts of interest/post history.

We maybe all sailing in the same ocean but we sure as hell are not all in the same boat.
If you're not one of the ones complaining about how their doing, then I obviously wasn't talking to you.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:20 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
People always want to complain and the same goes for MajorityRules. Even if everyone wasn't making a fuss you'd just get threads about how fans don't care enough and complaining about tankers etc. Just another thread about pretending that someone is superior to others and getting to laugh at them from a comfortable pedestal. Literally no point to this thread at all.

There is nothing wrong with people not being happy when the team plays poorly. It'd be a much sadder state if we were all just going "lol" after every game. If people want to vent somewhere this is as good a place as any to do it.

In the end we are all in the same ship of the damned. Rather than complaining about others let's at least keep the focus where it should be, on the team.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
A lot of us weren't sure if we'd even see hockey so 48 bad games is not terrible.

You add a top pick+ all that cap room, the organization isn't in bad shape at all.
I'm truly not sold yet on the "all the cap room" topic yet.

As far as i can see , we are in a OK spot cap wise, not sure I'd grade it as "us being in a fantastic spot" though.

17.1m cap space with only 13 guys signed, does little to "thrill" me.

Whats that? an average of 1.7m for the 10 spots we need to fill?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I'm truly not sold yet on the "all the cap room" topic yet.

As far as i can see , we are in a OK spot cap wise, not sure I'd grade it as "us being in a fantastic spot" though.

17.1m cap space with only 13 guys signed, does little to "thrill" me.

Whats that? an average of 1.7m for the 10 spots we need to fill?
They will buy-out 1 or 2 contracts as well. And they won't count against the cap.