HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
hockeyfanz*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
OK so are you ready to sell?

Prepared to finish last?

Willing to move anyone not named Lupul, Kessel and Rielly?

IF so, then climb on board.
Yes sell...the team is garbage. About as bad as it was before the big fathead came to town and left with his tail between his legs. Anybody off this roster that Nonis wants to move would be fine with me....Anybody. Nobody Id lose sleep over. In fact I would love to see a blockbuster where the face of the franchise was completely overhauled. I dont like the leadership of the team or should I say lack of leadership. Blaming a couple of young goalies for this crap team is a joke. Absolute joke. Maybe it makes fans feel better living under the notion that the last 4 years have not been a waste of time under the fathead because the team is simply a goalie away from being good. Its definitely not.

9 shots after two periods? Just wow. It was like watching a junior hockey team vs. a Stanley Cup contender...Nash-Gaborik-Richards. Leafs had no answer as they dominated them with every shift.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
If you're not one of the ones complaining about how their doing, then I obviously wasn't talking to you.
Well who are you talking to then?

Who are these "you" double speakers?

Do you have any examples to post up?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:27 AM
MrLegend28*

I hope the Leafs do a Edmonton like rebuild where they pick 1st for x amount of years, and STILL cant make the playoffs...

MrLegend28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:29 AM
G51 K81*

Funny part is people think losing to the New York Rangers means we are tanking.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
They will buy-out 1 or 2 contracts as well. And they won't count against the cap.
I thought they could only buy out 1 before next season and 1 the year after?

We could add 4.5m cap space if we compliance Komi, that would leave us with 2 signed NHL D, Dion/Liles combined cap hit of 10m +.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Funny part is people think losing to the New York Rangers means we are tanking.
More like, since the bus went off the cliff last season to now, this team looks like one worthy of using the "tank" to help fix what is wrong.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Woll Smoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Seguin, Hamilton and Knight would be doing squat the way this team is put together. With the way some of these so called Leaf fans behave, Seguin would have been labelled a bust and run out of town in his terrible rookie season -- probably by the same fellas who continue, day in and day out, in criticizing Kessel. How many points does Seguin have so far this season? Must be a bust.

Kessel is a great player, the best player in the trade, we simply need more great players.
Kessel is/should be a complimentary player on a cup contending team. Not your team's best forward.

Kessel is not the best player in the trade. Seguin is.

You don't just wake up one day and "simply" acquire great players. You draft them. We missed our chance at drafting Seguin and Hamilton, and have been stuck in the 5-10 spot drafting, where we haven't accomplished much.

This team's problems are much deeper than a #1C and #1G

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I thought they could only buy out 1 before next season and 1 the year after?

We could add 4.5m cap space if we compliance Komi, that would leave us with 2 signed NHL D, Dion/Liles combined cap hit of 10m +.
I really hope we trade for Dipietro to buy him out.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:38 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

the leafs lost to a better team..they should be 4-1 as they outplayed the other teams..if they keep scrivens in the AHL and get the same stable goaltending out of reimer or whoever comes via trade they will shut up everyone up

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
goonx

this thread is gold.

can't please everyone. If we're losing, i rather we do it right and get an exciting prospect to watch over the years. It's the pool of talented players that ppl come to watch. i.e. pitts, caps, EDM

unless we are winning and contending for a playoff spot, there's no use in trading for luongo. That's what cost us Seguin, Rask and Hamilton, Couture. The lack of patience in TO.

ppl need o chill. we havent won anything the last 10 years. why care about a half season.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Seriously

Reading the posts in here for the last few days, I'm beginning to think a lot of you say one thing but really don't mean it. Before the season started, there were prediction threads where the consensus was the Leafs might get lucky and make the playoffs provided the went on a hot streak but would most likely suck. There were threads (and still is) on not trading for Luongo so we could run with what we have. There were tanking threads....remember "not winnin for Mackinnon"? There were comments complimenting Nonis for not trading away our prospects (Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner). Everyone is ecstatic that Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong are gone and we're playing the kids.

Well guess what? This is what you wanted. you wanted to run with the kids and suffer the consequences. You wanted to finish at the bottom so we could draft a stud center considering how deep the draft is supposed to be this year. You didn't want to be mediocre and just finish outside the playoffs. Make up your damn minds. You can't win hockey games and finish at the bottom.

I really believe some of you will never ever be happy. You'd rather just have something to complain about.

even though I've never been a big fan of brown strats(just had to complain haha!)

this is so true.....all those peepe sitting in their own puddles this AM should just remember what a top 5 pick really means in this years upcoming draft

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

im more scared of them winning tbh, i want a high draft pick and it is most desperately needed for our long term success, however i feel as if this team could get into the playoffs. Losing Lupul tho is big, really helps the tankers! #spinninformackinnon

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Seriously

Reading the posts in here for the last few days, I'm beginning to think a lot of you say one thing but really don't mean it. Before the season started, there were prediction threads where the consensus was the Leafs might get lucky and make the playoffs provided the went on a hot streak but would most likely suck. There were threads (and still is) on not trading for Luongo so we could run with what we have. There were tanking threads....remember "not winnin for Mackinnon"? There were comments complimenting Nonis for not trading away our prospects (Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner). Everyone is ecstatic that Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong are gone and we're playing the kids.

Well guess what? This is what you wanted. you wanted to run with the kids and suffer the consequences. You wanted to finish at the bottom so we could draft a stud center considering how deep the draft is supposed to be this year. You didn't want to be mediocre and just finish outside the playoffs. Make up your damn minds. You can't win hockey games and finish at the bottom.

I really believe some of you will never ever be happy. You'd rather just have something to complain about.
While I'm encouraged by the early showings of a lot of our kids, I can't help but disagree with what you're saying here. It's one thing to see the kids come out and lose a hard fought battle, but it's another to see them just completely melt down and blow two two goal leads back to back and look as mentally weak and soft and lost as they did during the landslide last year.

It's like this group is fundamentally shellshocked when they put on the jersey. Whatever blue and white disease is, these kids are playing scared. And that might be a culture thing.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I would rather wait and see what hits the UFA market first and find out who would be willing to sign here , before i commit to a move like that.

For example, lets say by the grace of the gawds both Perry and Getz UFA and are willing to sign here.

I'd rather then dump Komi and maybe take a shot at getting Lou.

If the UFA market is a dead end, well now thats a different game.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:21 AM
DaveT83*

What kid? The kids on this team are doing just fine.

Its the Vets - the Brian Burke guys that are dragging us down. Which is why some tankers are upset - we just want to see some development - don't matter win/loose. But were sick of watching Connolly/Lombardi/MacA/Komi/Dion/Kessel sink the ship.

Play the ****ing kids - if they battle and loose I'll cheer for them every time.

Play Dion and Phil - they don't battle and loose I'll jeer them every time.

You dont' need a psyche degree to figure this one out homers

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Stephen

Quote:
What good would that really do?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What good would that really do?
To use our Amnesty buy-outs on Komisarek is such a waste. He has 1 year left after this one. We need to use our financial advantage and exploit poor teams desperate to get rid of contracts in exchange for prospects/picks.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Wang Snow would be in our thrall...it then wouldn't take long to get Tavares

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
CanadasTeam

Quote:
Seriously

I couldn't agree more.

Folks I suggest to just read the OP and ignore the rest of the thread.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Have a great day and See you all Tuesday!

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
RogerRoeper*

Wang would order Snow to trade Dipietro+ a top prospect and or first rounder to get rid of that albatross.

Buying-out Komi would be sooo stupid.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Stephen

Quote:
To use our Amnesty buy-outs on Komisarek is such a waste. He has 1 year left after this one. We need to use our financial advantage and exploit poor teams desperate to get rid of contracts in exchange for prospects/picks.
Not sure that would happen. They were pretty willing to dump Yashin even when he was still semi productive.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Oh, i saw your point clearly RR.

All i'm saying is, the timing matters to me.

I want to see what cap space we need when the possible UFAs show their intentions.

When the UFA season hits and it looks like we are tapping a dry well, then i would be 100% behind your idea.

Here is the problem tho, how hard is it gonna be for the isles to hit the floor minus, RDs 4.5 hit?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
number72

Komisarek is actually not playing that poorly at this point. I better with a trade for Dipietro and buy out scenario then buying him out. In fact, Lupul or Liles or some other players may turn out to be onerous contracts in 2 years when the buyouts expire

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Dont worry as soon as we win a game all those panicking will be planning the parade route.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
LEAFSIN4

Reality Check

Going into the season I honestly thought that this fanbase had realistic expectations about our team. We're the youngest team in the league, while having a new coach, new GM, and new owners. These are not excuses, this is the reality of the situation. We're a young team who most likely will not make the playoffs, with an unlikely chance to catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run.

Now, after a couple of losses all you see is BLOW IT UP!!! WE SUCK!! TRADE KESSEL!!

What did you expect? A contender? The youngest team in the league to make the playoffs? I would love to go through this year of the rebuilding phase with tempered expectations, and a real discussion of our team. Whether you agree with it or not, we are rebuilding. Paraphrasing Nonis' words, we are looking to build a team focused on long-term success... not just trying to get in at the 8th spot.

We have built a decent pipeline of prospects with depth at certain positions. We are allowing players that we have developed to go out there and grow with each other. Will they make mistakes? Yes, of course they will... but this should be expected.

Do we have weaknesses? Obviously we do, but this isn't basketball where you can change the outlook of the team with 1-2 trades, it's a process that patience and good judgement.

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote