HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Time to part ways with Okposo?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran journeyman

vCash: 500
I think Okposo would fetch a nice return. I'd move him if he, as part of a package, could bring in a good d-man or a tougher winger. I don't think he's a horrible player at all, but I don't think he's going to be anything especially unique or critical to the success of the team either. He's decent. I think he'll put up some numbers and have some good games, and I think he'll also float and be invisible in some games. So, no, I wouldn't move him just because "he must go," or whatever. He has his uses and the team, as of now, does not have an adequate replacement. But I hardly consider him anything close to untouchable. In fact, I think his trade value may be higher than his actual value on the ice. If that is the case, absolutely I'd be entertaining offers.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Oleg4Prez

Only move him for a top4 dman or better. Nothing else.

Oleg4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
I think Okposo would fetch a nice return. I'd move him if he, as part of a package, could bring in a good d-man or a tougher winger. I don't think he's a horrible player at all, but I don't think he's going to be anything especially unique or critical to the success of the team either. He's decent. I think he'll put up some numbers and have some good games, and I think he'll also float and be invisible in some games. So, no, I wouldn't move him just because "he must go," or whatever. He has his uses and the team, as of now, does not have an adequate replacement. But I hardly consider him anything close to untouchable. In fact, I think his trade value may be higher than his actual value on the ice. If that is the case, absolutely I'd be entertaining offers.
I wonder how many of the trade Okposo crowd, was posting trade Grabner proposals the last several months?

So many 'he's a one trick pony' posts. Now, after 4 impressive games, Grabs is loved and darn near untouchable

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Hip Of Rick

Okposo is a great 3rd line player, a decent 2nd line player and a bad 1st line player. If Okposo was on the 2nd or 3rd line with other legit 2nd/ 3rd line players no one would complain about him.

Like most players on the Isles he is playing in a role above his head which exposes his flaws. It is not time to move Okposo. It is the time and has been the time for a decade to bring in better players so players can play in their proper positions.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Puckzilla13

I'm hot and cold with Okposo. Sometimes I feel like his compete level just isn't there, but then sometimes I just think he hasn't found his complement yet. JT makes everyone better, but he has great chemistry with MM. Grabs and Nielsen both have great speed and work well together. I guess, for me anyways, I felt Bailey may be that linemate that Kyle needs. But Bailey also fits into that "unproven" category that KO does. I'm not ready to jump on the trade bandwagon yet, but I wouldn't be too upset if we moved him to get a solid D-man or 1st line wing for JT.

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I wonder how many of the trade Okposo crowd, was posting trade Grabner proposals the last several months?

So many 'he's a one trick pony' posts. Now, after 4 impressive games, Grabs is loved and darn near untouchable
I agree...we Isles fans can be a fickle bunch. I'm not all that down on KO. I think it looks like he could have done more with his time during the lockout, but he's filling a role on the team right now and I wouldn't be comfortable just sticking some rookie there and trading KO for a couple of draft picks or whatever. For the right return though... What would it take for you to consider moving him? Do you see him as untouchable? I don't really, and seeing how he's always among the first names outside folks mention when they talk about the Isles' young talent, I'd be curious to see what people would offer for him. Just a suspicion, but I bet they'd offer more for KO than they would for Grabner, or Nielsen, etc.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 AM
CREW99AW

Ryan O'Reilly has had 1 impressive season with the Avs: 18 goals, 37 assists. He's looking for $5m per on a long term deal. Okposo's long term deal averages $2.8m per.

For those fans who last summer called for Snow to trade Grabner and who are now, calling for Snow to trade Okposo: Snow is not trading young core players, on cheap contracts.

Get back to him when these guys start making big bucks in 2014-2015 and see if consistency is still a problem.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
I agree...we Isles fans can be a fickle bunch. I'm not all that down on KO. I think it looks like he could have done more with his time during the lockout, but he's filling a role on the team right now and I wouldn't be comfortable just sticking some rookie there and trading KO for a couple of draft picks or whatever. For the right return though... What would it take for you to consider moving him? Do you see him as untouchable? I don't really, and seeing how he's always among the first names outside folks mention when they talk about the Isles' young talent, I'd be curious to see what people would offer for him. Just a suspicion, but I bet they'd offer more for KO than they would for Grabner, or Nielsen, etc.
If the isles can use Okposo as a key trade chip in a package for E. kane, Yandle or Subban, I'd be in favor of that.

I am not in favor Okposo being moved because Nino has played well in 36 AHL games. Or because 19 yr old Strome, who had a quiet NYI training camp, is tearing up juniors.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
If the isles can use Okposo as a key trade chip in a package for E. kane, Yandle or Subban, I'd be in favor of that.

I am not in favor Okposo being moved because Nino has played well in 36 AHL games. Or because 19 yr old Strome, who had a quiet NYI training camp, is tearing up juniors.

Fair enough. And agreed on your second paragraph. I say don't just give KO's spot to Nino or Strome. Make them take it from him, if they can.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

he should have been gone for a top 4 defenseman already.

But our GM doesn't know how to make trades.

So....

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

Yes.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
blitzkriegs

Okposo and/or grabber are not gonba be moved for more expensive players. Their deals are very Wang friendly (higher cap hit, lower cash payout). Wang is not gonna spend more than he has to, let alone trade away cap friendly players.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
BillD

Okposo is a 3rd line wing.......maybe a 2nd liner on his best nights.

Are we really so concerned with a 3rd/2nd liner being moved for another asset we can use to make the team better? Fact is that we can replace Okposo easily and with better, more complete young players.
Nelson, Sundstrom (righty shot), Kabanov (another righty), Bailey, Persson, maybe Petrov, maybe Lee. If we can package Okposo and Nino for a #2 defenseman or a stud scorer such as Bobby Ryan I would not hesitate..
I'll say it again...Okposo the 3rd liner is not worth too much angst if the return is good for us.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
okie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Okposo is a great 3rd line player, a decent 2nd line player and a bad 1st line player. If Okposo was on the 2nd or 3rd line with other legit 2nd/ 3rd line players no one would complain about him.Like most players on the Isles he is playing in a role above his head which exposes his flaws. It is not time to move Okposo. It is the time and has been the time for a decade to bring in better players so players can play in their proper positions.
Totally agree with this. Kyle is not the guy you want playing next to Tavares to help Tavares keep reaching greater heights as he develops but thats not KOs fault. Kyle is going to be a good player in this league. It's not fait to judge him against other top line talent though when thats not who he is.

Last edited by PWJunior: 01-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.
okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
he should have been gone for a top 4 defenseman already.

But our GM doesn't know how to make trades.

So....
It take two to tango.

01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Okposo is a 3rd line wing.......maybe a 2nd liner on his best nights.

Are we really so concerned with a 3rd/2nd liner being moved for another asset we can use to make the team better? Fact is that we can replace Okposo easily and with better, more complete young players.
Nelson, Sundstrom (righty shot), Kabanov (another righty), Bailey, Persson, maybe Petrov, maybe Lee.
If we can package Okposo and Nino for a #2 defenseman or a stud scorer such as Bobby Ryan I would not hesitate..
I'll say it again...Okposo the 3rd liner is not worth too much angst if the return is good for us.

I love how players in the AHL, KHL and college who have never SNIFFED an NHL game are being written in as more complete young players and upgrades on Okposo.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Totally agree with this. Kyle is not the guy you want playing next to Tavares to help Tavares keep reaching greater heights as he develops but thats not KOs fault. Kyle is going to be a good player in this league. It's not fait to judge him against other top line talent though when thats not who he is.
I'm too lazy and disinterested to go back and check all of Tavares pro stats, but Tavares put up 22 pts last Jan, when Okposo was promoted to his line.

So, I will disagree that Okposo can't play with top line talent.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Okposo is a great 3rd line player, a decent 2nd line player and a bad 1st line player. If Okposo was on the 2nd or 3rd line with other legit 2nd/ 3rd line players no one would complain about him.

Like most players on the Isles he is playing in a role above his head which exposes his flaws. It is not time to move Okposo. It is the time and has been the time for a decade to bring in better players so players can play in their proper positions.
Totally agree. Plus you get rid of your worst players first. Replace Reasoner with PAP and Boulton with Comeau and you would have a better team. You get rid of your 4th line people first and keep the guys trying to play on the first line that should be on the second or third because they're better players.

Do everything possible to sign Corey Perry and then everyone would slot into the appropriate spots.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
BillD

Quote:
Ryan O'Reilly has had 1 impressive season with the Avs: 18 goals, 37 assists. He's looking for $5m per on a long term deal. Okposo's long term deal averages $2.8m per.

For those fans who last summer called for Snow to trade Grabner and who are now, calling for Snow to trade Okposo: Snow is not trading young core players, on cheap contracts.

Get back to him when these guys start making big bucks in 2014-2015 and see if consistency is still a problem.
O'Reilly is overvaluing himself. There are intangibles to be considered when evaluating the worth of a player. If it was just a matter of points divided into dollars it would be too simple because the game is about much more than points unless you get to very high levels. I think O'Reilly plays a pretty complete game but he has to prove he can keep up the point production before he gets that type contract.
Okposo lacks a lot of the intangibles and his best numbers do not warrant anything more than he is getting. Okposo is NOT a complete hockey player, he lacks hockey sense, an inner drive to push himself to succeed, a physical element.
Grabner had a poor season last year compared to the first year, but he brings more complete ability than Okposo does and is more valuable to the team.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 PM
BillD

Quote:

I love how players in the AHL, KHL and college who have never SNIFFED an NHL game are being written in as more complete young players and upgrades on Okposo.
Forget about Okposo and just concentrate on the possiblity that one of these guys will make at least a decent 3rd line winger. That is what we need to replace Okposo because that is what he is.
A development program is just that......developing quality prospects that have the potential to succeed. Not all will make it, not all will pan out where projected, but it appears that we have enough young prospects with ability to feel at least one of them will be able to replace an inconsistant, limited 3rd liner.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
O'Reilly is overvaluing himself. There are intangibles to be considered when evaluating the worth of a player. If it was just a matter of points divided into dollars it would be too simple because the game is about much more than points unless you get to very high levels. I think O'Reilly plays a pretty complete game but he has to prove he can keep up the point production before he gets that type contract.
Okposo lacks a lot of the intangibles and his best numbers do not warrant anything more than he is getting. Okposo is NOT a complete hockey player, he lacks hockey sense, an inner drive to push himself to succeed, a physical element.
Grabner had a poor season last year compared to the first year, but he brings more complete ability than Okposo does and is more valuable to the team.
Grabner brings terrific speed and a lack of grit.

Okposo brings aggressive puck pursuit and an underrated physical game. You don't have to lay an opposing player out, to bring a physical element: going to the dirty areas of the ice, fighting for pucks along the board.

I have to say the comments that Grabner is a complete player, is kind of amusing, after all the complaints just 2-3 months ago that he was a 'one trick pony'. It doesn't take much for the bandwagon to fill up.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Forget about Okposo and just concentrate on the possiblity that one of these guys will make at least a decent 3rd line winger. That is what we need to replace Okposo because that is what he is.
A development program is just that......developing quality prospects that have the potential to succeed. Not all will make it, not all will pan out where projected, but it appears that we have enough young prospects with ability to feel at least one of them will be able to replace an inconsistant, limited 3rd liner.
When one of those AHL, KHL or college players actually makes the NYI roster, they can then take Okposo's spot and then Okposo will be moved.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I am up and down on KO. I am not sure if I would deal him, but I would not retain him at all costs. Right now though,I think there are other pieces to consider dealing over KO especially with 3 players set to come back online in the next few weeks. Visnovsky, Bailey and Joensuu will be back, and will put us at 26 players.

So who goes?

I know why Snow did what he did it making the 4 waiver claims he did. And as these things go, it can be a crap-shoot as we are seeing.

Aucoin and Strait have played well in the games they have played, and I think dismissing their success for now is pointless. I think they remain on the roster.

Ullstrom has played his way onto the roster for sure at this point. He is a perfect 3rd liner for the Isles and clearly has a good fit with Aucoin. That makes Colin McDonald a question mark. Is he doing enough to remain?

My suspicion right now is that McDonald and Reasoner represent the guys that will be sent down/waived or in Reasoners case, perhaps traded for what ever. It is distinctly possible that of any of the Isles, Josh Bailey is moved. He is in a contract year, his numbers have not reflected what the organization would like, and he has some value. It is possible Cizikas gets moved, but I think they want to see more of him before making a choice like that.

Defensively, as I said, I think Strait has played himself onto the roster. Finley for all that size looks soft. Carkner is doing what Carkner does so no issue with him or the other 3.

My guess is that Finley will go back on waivers. McDonald I think is a 2-way contract, and so they will be able to move him back to BP (correct me if I am wrong) which still leaves 1 player too many.

Martinek thru waivers?
Reasoner thru waivers?

Not sure, but those two seem to be possibly the odd men out.

I don't think they want to waive Hickey not yet. I think they want to see if he can fit in. Not sure why we have not seen him over Finley at this point. Perhaps tonight?

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I am up and down on KO. I am not sure if I would deal him, but I would not retain him at all costs. Right now though,I think there are other pieces to consider dealing over KO especially with 3 players set to come back online in the next few weeks. Visnovsky, Bailey and Joensuu will be back, and will put us at 26 players.

So who goes?

I know why Snow did what he did it making the 4 waiver claims he did. And as these things go, it can be a crap-shoot as we are seeing.

Aucoin and Strait have played well in the games they have played, and I think dismissing their success for now is pointless. I think they remain on the roster.

Ullstrom has played his way onto the roster for sure at this point. He is a perfect 3rd liner for the Isles and clearly has a good fit with Aucoin. That makes Colin McDonald a question mark. Is he doing enough to remain?

My suspicion right now is that McDonald and Reasoner represent the guys that will be sent down/waived or in Reasoners case, perhaps traded for what ever. It is distinctly possible that of any of the Isles, Josh Bailey is moved. He is in a contract year, his numbers have not reflected what the organization would like, and he has some value. It is possible Cizikas gets moved, but I think they want to see more of him before making a choice like that.

Defensively, as I said, I think Strait has played himself onto the roster. Finley for all that size looks soft. Carkner is doing what Carkner does so no issue with him or the other 3.

My guess is that Finley will go back on waivers. McDonald I think is a 2-way contract, and so they will be able to move him back to BP (correct me if I am wrong) which still leaves 1 player too many.

Martinek thru waivers?
Reasoner thru waivers?

Not sure, but those two seem to be possibly the odd men out.

I don't think they want to waive Hickey not yet. I think they want to see if he can fit in. Not sure why we have not seen him over Finley at this point. Perhaps tonight?
I think you have laid it out about right. Colin McDonald will have to be exposed to waivers and could very likely be claimed for another teams AHL franchise. Resoner SHOULD be the odd man out, he is useless. Cizikas can be sent back to Bport without clearing waivers so he can have the time to develop more. Martinek is interesting in that he hasn't played yet, but the depth he represents is needed in the shorted season.
Reasoner and Finley waived, Cizikas back to the Port.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
It take two to tango.
The other GM's don't know how to take what Snow is offering?

(with a straight face?)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote