HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Game 5: Columbus vs. Chicago | 1/26 7PM EST

Old
01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Derby, how nice was a Mike Todd less game? Anyone know if he just missed the game or if his is out for good?

01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Derby, how nice was a Mike Todd less game? Anyone know if he just missed the game or if his is out for good?
It was a thing of beauty! Maybe my prayers have been answered.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

We need a thread on the top 10 controversial calls that have screwed the Jackets complete with videos. I have a feeling that our top 10 would rival any other team's top 10 and we are the youngest team (with the Wild).

Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1) Last night's goalie interference.
2) LA clock-gate
3) Wes Walz' pants
4) Manny Malholtra's "kicked in goal" in Dallas where he was flying through the air
5) Dorsett's goal disallowed (and he got a penalty for GI) when it looked like the goalie broke his leg
6) The 'too many men' penalty that sunk the CBJ in their last playoff game (debatable call but on here due to the importance of the situation)
7) I also remember Nash getting a goal in OT against the Wild waived off due to a high stick that seemed good, but my memory is foggy on this one

Any others? For sure the CBJ top 5 would be pretty impressive.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
At least the game was entertaining and good hockey.
Agree. We actually looked like a NHL team. We got beat by a better team. Boys hustled and fought hard. We will get some wins if we keep it up.

Hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
We need a thread on the top 10 controversial calls that have screwed the Jackets complete with videos. I have a feeling that our top 10 would rival any other team's top 10 and we are the youngest team (with the Wild).

Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1) Last night's goalie interference.
2) LA clock-gate
3) Wes Walz' pants
4) Manny Malholtra's "kicked in goal" in Dallas where he was flying through the air
5) Dorsett's goal disallowed (and he got a penalty for GI) when it looked like the goalie broke his leg
6) The 'too many men' penalty that sunk the CBJ in their last playoff game (debatable call but on here due to the importance of the situation)
7) I also remember Nash getting a goal in OT against the Wild waived off due to a high stick that seemed good, but my memory is foggy on this one

Any others? For sure the CBJ top 5 would be pretty impressive.
8) Two powerplay goals scored on one minor penalty in San Jose.
9) The goal horn/fire going off prematurely in Calgary, causing mass confusion during which they actually did score against us (Although this one is on the very low end of the Screw Scale. I hardly even remember it)

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
8) Two powerplay goals scored on one minor penalty in San Jose.
9) The goal horn/fire going off prematurely in Calgary, causing mass confusion during which they actually did score against us (Although this one is on the very low end of the Screw Scale. I hardly even remember it)
10) Brendan Shanahan faking an injury causing the ref to blow the play dead seconds before the puck crossing the goal line for game sealing EN goal. The face off is moved to the Jackets end and the Wings score the tying goal off of the faceoff. Wings win the game in overtime. http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230404029

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.
1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
EspenK

I sent an email to Kerry Fraser at tsn to see if he would discuss in his column

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
FANonymous

was out last night and watched the highlights this morning. Wow that's quite a terrible call. It's the kind of call that I never would've even imagined being possible in my most sarcastic "this is how the jackets get screwed" dreams. I REALLY wish there was more accountability for poor officiating.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:17 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

What was the bad call that caused Rooney to flip off our fans a couple of years ago?

Now, let's compare and contrast that list with another (albeit shorter) list - the horrible calls that have gone in the Jackets favor.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
What was the bad call that caused Rooney to flip off our fans a couple of years ago?

Now, let's compare and contrast that list with another (albeit shorter) list - the horrible calls that have gone in the Jackets favor.

I'm surprised you took the time to list them all. A few would have been sufficient

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:31 AM
JacketsDavid

Well we lost but at least we played the right way. Entertaining game.

Mason played well. More imortantantly for most of the game the 18 skaters in front of him played hard.
Too many bad turnovers for us, led to a couple goals - also Aucoin losing his jock strap at mid ice. Wow terrible play.
RyJo, Calvert and Prospal played very well. Prospal is as close as we have to a playmaker and I think he is clearly helping the youngsters. Not a slam against prospal he's just older and with the shortened season he's still working himself into game shape.
Chicago is really a good team, holding them to 3 goals is a good effort all the way around.
I think the power play looks better. Against Detroit we were struggling just to pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a shot. Last night it seemed like we had a plan (many times a 2 man game a man on top/center trying to get Wiz (usually) on his left hand side the puck with a line to the goal. Very simple but to me it seemed more effective.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
CerebralGenesis

Sorry guys. Most of the NHL world probably feels like you got jobbed.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
JacketFanInFL

aac, another year of other teams coming in and apologizing to us. It's hockey season!

Note: Not directed at any posters, just the sad state of affairs yet again.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsDavid View Post
Well we lost but at least we played the right way. Entertaining game.

Mason played well. More imortantantly for most of the game the 18 skaters in front of him played hard.
Too many bad turnovers for us, led to a couple goals - also Aucoin losing his jock strap at mid ice. Wow terrible play.
RyJo, Calvert and Prospal played very well. Prospal is as close as we have to a playmaker and I think he is clearly helping the youngsters. Not a slam against prospal he's just older and with the shortened season he's still working himself into game shape.
Chicago is really a good team, holding them to 3 goals is a good effort all the way around.
I think the power play looks better. Against Detroit we were struggling just to pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a shot. Last night it seemed like we had a plan (many times a 2 man game a man on top/center trying to get Wiz (usually) on his left hand side the puck with a line to the goal. Very simple but to me it seemed more effective.

I would add John Moore as well. He is not much of an offensive force "yet" but what a terrific skater. Seeing him live last night you get a better perspective just how effortless his skating is and a big reason why he is never out of position. Hopefully his offensive game develops and people will begin noticing his overall game more.

He might be a rare CBJ first rounder that actually pans out.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Oh man, I completely forgot about that.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:53 AM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

The Highlight of that game was the dancing fat dude with no shirt on, But in all seriousness why would you start Mason against the best team in the league I just dont get it

CBJ All The Way is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
jackets4life
Battle On 2014!

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way View Post
The Highlight of that game was the dancing fat dude with no shirt on, But in all seriousness why would you start Mason against the best team in the league I just dont get it
I thought Mason was very solid last night.

jackets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Mason played great last night...i can't fault him on any of the three goals watching from the rafters last night...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
10) Brendan Shanahan faking an injury causing the ref to blow the play dead seconds before the puck crossing the goal line for game sealing EN goal. The face off is moved to the Jackets end and the Wings score the tying goal off of the faceoff. Wings win the game in overtime. http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230404029
I can't remember the opponent, but there was the CBJ goal waived off because the ref "had the intent" to blow the whistle because he lost sight of the puck despite the puck being loose AND the whistle clearly blown after the goal scored.

and...Dallas has 5 on 3 PP, Brendan Morrow slew foots Peca and then scores goal before Peca can recover. Peca ends up suspended because he grabbed the refs elbow to argue the call.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:59 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
and...Dallas has 5 on 3 PP, Brendan Morrow slew foots Peca and then scores goal before Peca can recover. Peca ends up suspended because he grabbed the refs elbow to argue the call.
To be fair, Peca always was a loose cannon and had a pretty bad reputation around the league.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
He will be back tomorrow.

I don't mind him though, and Ive talked with him before. Really good guy

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
He will be back tomorrow.

I don't mind him though, and Ive talked with him before. Really good guy
I'm sure he is a good guy and I know he loves the team. He's just not my cup of tea and I enjoyed the lack of distractions during last nights game.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

It was nice of the boys to put on an entertaining show for my return to Nationwide! I can't imagine that we would expect much more out of this bunch than to play the current best team in the league to a flatfooted standoff, only to lose on a bad call and a late turnover. Make that a steady effort and I will complain less.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sure he is a good guy and I know he loves the team. He's just not my cup of tea and I enjoyed the lack of distractions during last nights game.
Plus one. Although Todd might not have let them forget the 50/50 until the game had ended!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Plus one. Although Todd might not have let them forget the 50/50 until the game had ended!
That's their new way of doing it since you do not have to be there to win now. They did the same thing opening night.