HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Ryan Hartman is really representing himself well. Best PKer for USA through two games. Huge chip on his shoulder. I'd sort of dismissed him for being "only" a ppg player in the high scoring OHL but then I noticed that former first round picks on his team like Rickard Rackell, Stefan Noessen, and Tom Wilson are scoring at the same clip. He's six months to two years younger than those guys, respectively. He's a rookie and they're each in their third seasons. Actually quite impressive. Extremely fiery player. If he's on the board after pick 20, or so, I'd have to think about picking him up.

Good article. Talks about his height being likely to improve and how well he's adjusted to a new position (center) and a nee league. Good stuff http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey,wp15134

Last edited by rt: 12-22-2012 at 06:25 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Picking the Barkov discussion up here, I have to agree about the tanking a 48 game season or getting an incredibly luck break at the bingo table if the season is cancelled. Either could be tremendously important to us.

It's not just Barkov. There's a solid chance that MacKinnon, Monahan, Drouin, and Lindholm become #1 centers in the NHL.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Picking the Barkov discussion up here, I have to agree about the tanking a 48 game season or getting an incredibly luck break at the bingo table if the season is cancelled. Either could be tremendously important to us.

It's not just Barkov. There's a solid chance that MacKinnon, Monahan, Drouin, and Lindholm become #1 centers in the NHL.
Of the 5, which do you think would plug in most smoothly to Tippett's system?

Also, does anyone know anything about Robert Neuhauser, the guy who replaced Ruuttu as European Scout?

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think Barkov would require the least amount of polishing to become a Dave Tippett player. Sean Monahan is essentially a Dave Tippett dream player, too. All five have the potential to be good fits. Personally, I really love the overall set of skills and ability Monahan brings to the table. He's probably my favorite player outside of the big three, but still likely in the top five of the draft. He's basically exactly what we've all been pining for since the first time Roenick left.

If we don't end up quite so lucky, but are still fortunate to have a pick five spots lower than Monahan will likely go, I really like Curtis Lazar. I could see him as a Mike Fisher kind of player. Heart and soul, guts and grit player. Excellent defensively and another Tippett dream. His offensive stats have not been eye popping but I really loves the instincts, the drive, the skating, and his shot is undeniably excellent.

If we are a handful of spots lower than that, I like Max Domi. He's a little pit bull of a player. I really love his skills with the puck and his second and third efforts. He spends too much time with his butt on the ice, but God damned this kid can make a great play with his ass planted on the ice. Haha. Very slick player that plays with a lot of intestinal fortitude. Needs to get bigger and needs a ton of work away from the puck. Nowhere near ready for Dave Tippett. I think the Hunter's do a good job of instilling the basic components, though.

If we pick a few spots lower, than I really like Morgan Klimchuk. Breathtaking speed and excellent puck control at top speed. Good hands and finish in close. Like Sjostrom if he could actually score. Like what we all want Korpikoski to be. After benefiting from a big growth spurt and really working hard at improving his all around game, he's now a polished defensive contributor and good PKer. People have a lot of great things to say about his character and drive.

After Klimchuk and moving late into the first I like Hartman who I posted about a little ways up in the thread.

Beyond that I really liked what I saw from Arturri Lehkonen the other day and Oliver Bjorkstrand last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of both. Justin Bailey I like as a 2nd rounder.

Anyway that's what my Christmas list looks like now. It's sure to change after the WJC and Memorial Cup.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Kaibur

It's one of those drafts where, if you wind up with the #1 and Columbus comes calling with #5 and #20, it wouldn't be so crazy to trade down. You might actually come away better off in the long run.

I think there's certainly a chance that a couple guys will slide that we have higher on our list. If we're picking 20th or later, I'm willing to start looking at defense. Drafting a guy like Ristolainen and trading Connor Murphy for an older forward prospect might be attractive, especially if Murphy has a good showing at the WJCs. Does a package of Murphy & Miele look attractive to a team looking both to dump cap and get back value?

Lazar in the teens would be a great pickup. He and Samuelsson could transition together all the way up the pipeline.

Has anyone taken a look at the Scouting Staff since Knickle took over? From the website, it looks like a lot of new faces, at least to me.

Director of Amateur Scouting Rick Knickle
Director of Pro Scouting Frank Effinger
European Scout Robert Neuhauser
Professional Scout David MacLean
Professional Scout Derek MacKinnon
Amateur Scout Rob Pulford
Amateur Scout Norm Gosselin
Amateur Scout Glen Zacharias
Amateur Scout Tim Bernhardt
Amateur Scout Tim Keon
Amateur Scout Trevor Hanson
Amateur Scout Gary Knickle
Amateur Scout Mike MacFarlane

Most of the names seem new to me. I assume there's no relation between Rick Knickle and Gary Knickle?

Effinger's the one that Maloney brought over from the Rangers when he was first hired to clear house of all the (W.) Gretzky cronies. But he does pro scouting. I don't remember Neuhauser, but I guess he replaced (C.) Ruuttu? And the European scout does both pro and amateur scouting?

Old
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I really hope Neuhauser doesn't have a son eligible for a draft any time soon. Haha.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:01 AM
zLiMbiLLY

To me Elias Lindholm has been a disappointment so far i WJH....
The one Swed I may praise for future now is Jacob De la Rose. He's young, but I asure that he has 'it' to be a +10 1st rounder maybe next draft.

zLiMbiLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hartman has come back from an amazing tournament just on fire in the OHL. Seven goals and four assists for eleven points in just six games back since he returned with a gold medal.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post

has anyone taken a look at the Scouting Staff since Knickle took over? From the website, it looks like a lot of new faces, at least to me.
Bit surprised to see Steve Lyons has left. As scout in the NE, he was involved in some of the Coyotes better late-round draft picks - Yandle, Winnik, Ferriero.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Now, how is the draft going to be this year? Will it change due to the shortened season or is it business as usual?

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Now, how is the draft going to be this year? Will it change due to the shortened season or is it business as usual?
Quote:
The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
I'm really liking everything I'm hearing/reading/seeing of Connor Hurley. Probably because it takes a little more digging to find anything on him because he's still in High School, haha. He's one of the more out of the spotlight prospects in this years draft and will probably be considered 'off the board' if he goes in the first round. But I'd definitely keep an eye on his as a riser.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
...and it's only one day (just) this year!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Hartman has come back from an amazing tournament just on fire in the OHL. Seven goals and four assists for eleven points in just six games back since he returned with a gold medal.
Who is your top 5 this year?

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
I think Barkov would require the least amount of polishing to become a Dave Tippett player. Sean Monahan is essentially a Dave Tippett dream player, too. All five have the potential to be good fits. Personally, I really love the overall set of skills and ability Monahan brings to the table. He's probably my favorite player outside of the big three, but still likely in the top five of the draft. He's basically exactly what we've all been pining for since the first time Roenick left.

If we don't end up quite so lucky, but are still fortunate to have a pick five spots lower than Monahan will likely go, I really like Curtis Lazar. I could see him as a Mike Fisher kind of player. Heart and soul, guts and grit player. Excellent defensively and another Tippett dream. His offensive stats have not been eye popping but I really loves the instincts, the drive, the skating, and his shot is undeniably excellent.

If we are a handful of spots lower than that, I like Max Domi. He's a little pit bull of a player. I really love his skills with the puck and his second and third efforts. He spends too much time with his butt on the ice, but God damned this kid can make a great play with his ass planted on the ice. Haha. Very slick player that plays with a lot of intestinal fortitude. Needs to get bigger and needs a ton of work away from the puck. Nowhere near ready for Dave Tippett. I think the Hunter's do a good job of instilling the basic components, though.

If we pick a few spots lower, than I really like Morgan Klimchuk. Breathtaking speed and excellent puck control at top speed. Good hands and finish in close. Like Sjostrom if he could actually score. Like what we all want Korpikoski to be. After benefiting from a big growth spurt and really working hard at improving his all around game, he's now a polished defensive contributor and good PKer. People have a lot of great things to say about his character and drive.

After Klimchuk and moving late into the first I like Hartman who I posted about a little ways up in the thread.

Beyond that I really liked what I saw from Arturri Lehkonen the other day and Oliver Bjorkstrand last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of both. Justin Bailey I like as a 2nd rounder.

Anyway that's what my Christmas list looks like now. It's sure to change after the WJC and Memorial Cup.
If the coyotes pick second, and Jones is available, would you select him?

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
YES Absolutely you do.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
I would listen to offers from the teams picking at #3, 4 and 5.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I would listen to offers from the teams picking at #3, 4 and 5.
correct for the services of keith yandle jones is the real deal u don"t pass on the next chris pronger

Old
01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
correct for the services of keith yandle jones is the real deal u don"t pass on the next chris pronger
Depends on who else is being offered! Also ISS has Jones as #1 over Mackinnon, ATM.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

If he played on the left side then he may not be as tempting.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Depends on who else is being offered! Also ISS has Jones as #1 over Mackinnon, ATM.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

If he played on the left side then he may not be as tempting.
i have Jones at #1. it's the pronger/daigle draft all over again.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Who is your top 5 this year?
I'm hoping the right teams make it to the Memorial Cup, do that I get a better idea. In ky incredibly limited viewings, I'd say...

Right now, with my limited looks, I really can't say. I'd rather have Drouin or MacKinnon than anyone else. They're my top two. I'd say flip a coin, but I think I'd really be praying for it to land on Drouin's side. He's so damn unique. I'd say Drouin is probably my number one by the slimmest of margins. Then I've got Monahan, Barkov, and Lindholm all tied up. Barkov is the biggest, most mature physically, and the most proven but he's also the softest and least mobile. I like Lindholm's raw skill and aggression and Monahan's smarts and polish. I'd be tempted to place them both slightly higher than Barkov, but I'd really hate to be the guy who passes on Barkov. All five of those kids are top 1-2 picks in most drafts.

I'm not ranking D in this draft.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

I'd take whichever of the Mooseheads are still on the board. If Jones is there at number three, I'd trade down to number five.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
i have Jones at #1. it's the pronger/daigle draft all over again.
Or it could be 2006 all over again. Erik Johnson goes first, followed by Staal, Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
hbk

Quote:
Or it could be 2006 all over again. Erik Johnson goes first, followed by Staal, Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel.
i'm s huge Jones fan. Have been since I saw him play as a 16 year old at the under 18's (when Conner Murphys scored the winning goal in OT). Also saw him live to witness his first goal in the WHL. I have tickets to the Memorial Cup this year as well. I'll be able to provide a great perspective for you.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
i'm s huge Jones fan. Have been since I saw him play as a 16 year old at the under 18's (when Conner Murphys scored the winning goal in OT). Also saw him live to witness his first goal in the WHL. I have tickets to the Memorial Cup this year as well. I'll be able to provide a great perspective for you.
He's the embodiment of "all tool" player, from what I've seen. Like a 6'5'' OEL. That shoots right. Pretty amazing package. I actually tend to agree with you. If we are picking 2nd and Jones is on the board. We might consider picking him and trying to flip Yandle for the fifth or sixth pick. This is all fantasy however. We won't be picking in the top ten.