HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose again. We are Oilers in denial.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
And they weren't terrible coaches either.
You do realize we're talking about Jean Perron?

And a coach who has been slapped in the dressing room by the Pocket Rocket?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
We're "stacking" one line at the expense of the other two. Frattin was a complete no show tonight, and did Komarov end up being double shifted on both the 1st and 3rd lines? It didn't look like Kadri had much help tonight from his linemates.
Komarov was the forward with the most ice time.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Budsfan

I think we can take a lot of positives away from this game, Reimer played well and 3 of the goals were tip ins and 1 off a scramble in front of the net with Reimer down and no chance to stop the puck and 42 shots on him.

We kept a very big and very talented team, at bay for 2 periods, until the dam broke however we won two fights and I thought Phanuef and Kostka, did a great job, on checking the Rangers top line.

Before this game started, I thought we were going to have our doors blown off and in the end we did lose but the Rangers knew they were in a hockey game and we were no push over.

Carlyle's Defense first system, means less offense but also consider, we have lost two of our top 6 players, in Lupul and MacArthur not to mention Gardiner re-habing on the Marlies.

The game was a loss but I thought we played very well, against a very good big team, one that we may see, in the finals for the Stanley Cup.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:45 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Things aren't normal. Daniel Winnik is scoring at beyond a GPG pace so far. The dude has played well (as has the guy playing beside him). He's had poise, performed well under pressure making safe plays and has been pretty defensively solid for the most part. They didn't look particularly great in the NYI game (then again, nobody did), but considering they've been eating big minutes game in game out and the fact it was a back to back, it's not that hard to swallow moving forwards. Especially when the rest of the team collapsed as well. To put the blame entirely on some of the better performing players due to +/- really does blow my mind.

Gunnarsson, Bozak, Komarov, Franson, etc etc. I can name tons of players who have made more bone-headed plays that resulted in goals or good scoring chances for the opposition so far into the season.
All of these guys have struggled (Koma/Bozak not so much) But no one has come even close to being as responsible for Goals Against this year as Dion - I'd even argue Dion has out played Scrivens in that department.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
htpwn

Glad I didn't have the chance to watch this one.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
All of these guys have struggled (Koma/Bozak not so much) But no one has come even close to being as responsible for Goals Against this year as Dion - I'd even argue Dion has out played Scrivens in that department.
To be fair, Phaneuf plays twice as many minutes as any of them, so of course it's going to seem like he's in the middle of more goals, both for and against. Not to mention he plays every shift against the other teams top line.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
To be fair, Phaneuf plays twice as many minutes as any of them, so of course it's going to seem like he's in the middle of more goals, both for and against. Not to mention he plays every shift against the other teams top line.
Not a huge fan of Dion's but what you say is the truth.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Yeah I agree - I was refering to a post that suggested Bozak/Komarov have done more "bone-headed" plays that resulted in Goals Against than Dion. Which is simply not even close to being true.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Not a huge fan of Dion's but what you say is the truth.
Exactly. Suter is -4 right now.

I guess that means he's crap and should be traded immediately too.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:06 AM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I think we can take a lot of positives away from this game, Reimer played well and 3 of the goals were tip ins and 1 off a scramble in front of the net with Reimer down and no chance to stop the puck and 42 shots on him.

We kept a very big and very talented team, at bay for 2 periods, until the dam broke however we won two fights and I thought Phanuef and Kostka, did a great job, on checking the Rangers top line.

Before this game started, I thought we were going to have our doors blown off and in the end we did lose but the Rangers knew they were in a hockey game and we were no push over.

Carlyle's Defense first system, means less offense but also consider, we have lost two of our top 6 players, in Lupul and MacArthur not to mention Gardiner re-habing on the Marlies.

The game was a loss but I thought we played very well, against a very good big team, one that we may see, in the finals for the Stanley Cup.
I agree with this.
Rangers are cup favourites and that first line is unbelievable. We hung in there with them for most of the game with big holes in our lineup. It's not really fair to think that the Leafs are complete **** until the full lineup is in place and they are losing games regularly. The team is pretty good but I think Phaneuf is gonna have to step it up a bit more, he has it in him.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
I agree with this.
Rangers are cup favourites and that first line is unbelievable. We hung in there with them for most of the game with big holes in our lineup. It's not really fair to think that the Leafs are complete **** until the full lineup is in place and they are losing games regularly. I think Phaneuf is gonna have to step it up a bit more, he has it in him.
So I guess really the only time its acceptable to loose - will be against MTL/CBJ?

And even then - Well they have Price ...

And ... The condensed Schedule means were really tired...

Old
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
So I guess really the only time its acceptable to loose - will be against MTL/CBJ?

And even then - Well they have Price ...

And ... The condensed Schedule means were really tired...
Yeah. We have built up far too many excuses.

It's just time to admit (for those who haven't already) that this team SUCKS.

There is a lot more that needs to be done. Adding Luongo doesn't just magically make this team a contender.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
I agree with this.
Rangers are cup favourites and that first line is unbelievable. We hung in there with them for most of the game with big holes in our lineup. It's not really fair to think that the Leafs are complete **** until the full lineup is in place and they are losing games regularly. The team is pretty good but I think Phaneuf is gonna have to step it up a bit more, he has it in him.
As much as I criticize him, it's not all on Phaneuf to "step up." Sure he can be better, but he should get better support from his forwards, particularly the Bozak line.

As good as the Rangers are, this game was not some foregone conclusion. We were up 2-0. Even when it was 2-1 after the first this game was winnable. It just required more focus. They didn't beat us with overwhelming skill, the Leafs largely beat themselves with underwhelming attention to their defensive assignments.

We beat Pittsburgh with a worse start, and they are about as good as the Rangers. Malkin and Crosby on separate lines are in a way more dangerous than the Rangers' one overloaded line. The difference against the Pens was that the Leafs didn't fold mentally. From Carlyle's reactions on the bench, you can tell he wasn't assuming the Leafs were going to lose the entire time. He expected better. Any team can beat any team on a given night, and we were well on our way. Contrary to what people are now saying after a bad overall game, the first period was quite good for the Leafs. Shot totals at that point weren't the whole story.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
What's more concerning than some line being hot or them needing to win is that we blew ANOTHER lead in horrid fashion at that.
The lead was against the flow.

A top team playing against a bottom team.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
I love how your logic works, so apparently krejci is some great center who also plays with 2 very skilled big wingers but grabo just pads stats? Wow, talk about your double standards lol.
Not sure what your point was?

Krejci played Sedin and Kesler heads up even when Horton went down, and beat them while he led the Bruins in scoring in their Stanley Cup in 10-11.

Sure Grabo put up points in the last 2 games, but what's that good for when his line was on the ice for both key goals against in both losses. What's more important, winning or points?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah. We have built up far too many excuses.

It's just time to admit (for those who haven't already) that this team SUCKS.

There is a lot more that needs to be done. Adding Luongo doesn't just magically make this team a contender.
Nice - glad we agree.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Trigger96

Why is Phaneuf and Kostka getting 30 mins a night anyways? They aren't doing anything to earn those minutes at all...

take there ***** off the powerplay and let liles/gardiner/franson/gunnarson take the reigns. Then maybe Phaneuf and Kostka will have enough legs to last the 3rd period.

Trigger96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Trigger96

also, Kessel has to start stepping it up...
His refusal to go to the dirty areas is what got him traded to begin with.
Everyone always talks about his playmaking skills but all I ever see him do is take bad low percentage shots despite having open team mates.
And whenever he drives to the net he eventually gets scared and skates around the net instead. Does he realize he can use his backhand to score? I look around at all the stars in the league doing what it takes to win games and Phil doesn't do half of them.

He needs some good Canadian heart which obviously he never learned growing up.

Trigger96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

In order for this team to any chance of winning its best players have to be its best players which means Kessel and Phaneuf.

01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
In order for this team to any chance of winning its best players have to be its best players which means Kessel and Phaneuf.
Play the kids.

This

Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..

Old
01-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Play the kids.
Kadri "the kid" leads the team in scoring so I don't see how that is an issue in Leafs performance, as he is doing his part.

Frattin (3 points) has as many points a Kessel and Phaneuf combined do, and he has only played 1/2 the games.

Not sure how "playing the kids" is the problem here.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Kadri "the kid" leads the team in scoring so I don't see how that is an issue in Leafs performance, as he is doing his part.
That may be true and so has Frattin been doing his part but what about Scrivens, Reimer, Kostka and all the young guys, brought up from the Marlies, have we got no time for them.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:20 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
That may be true and so has Frattin been doing his part but what about Scrivens, Reimer, Kostka and all the young guys, brought up from the Marlies, have we got no time for them.
Wow you're really reaching eh.

I'll play. Kostka was/is not expected to be our best player. But really woudl it matter if Gunner was playing with Dion? Or Komi? Or Franson? Pick your poison.

Reimer has played terrific - cant fault him.

Scrivens let ina couple softies against NYI - but really didn't get much help for the 2nd half of that game. Again we all knew our Goalies were not going to be very good.

Maybe you would you like to blame Fraser for our woes?
maybe its all Komarov's fault ?

Our best players need to be our best players if we want to win - Kessel/Dion simply are not getting the job done. Its ok to admit it. Thats the first step in getting better.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Wow you're really reaching eh.

I'll play. Kostka was/is not expected to be our best player. But really woudl it matter if Gunner was playing with Dion? Or Komi? Or Franson? Pick your poison.

Reimer has played terrific - cant fault him.

Scrivens let ina couple softies against NYI - but really didn't get much help for the 2nd half of that game. Again we all knew our Goalies were not going to be very good.

Maybe you would you like to blame Fraser for our woes?
maybe its all Komarov's fault ?

Our best players need to be our best players if we want to win - Kessel/Dion simply are not getting the job done. Its ok to admit it. Thats the first step in getting better.
When you talk about the Leafs, seldom do you have anything good to say about them and you have said a lot about Kostka's play.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Frattin (3 points) has as many points a Kessel and Phaneuf combined do, and he has only played 1/2 the games.

Not sure how "playing the kids" is the problem here.
Shooting the messenger.

JFj informed MLSE that playing the kids was required after the last lock-out.

They said no deal.

Burke came in and said playing the kids wasn't necessary and it wouldn't take 5 years.

Nonis now is being given the chance to follow JFj's plan, and to play the kids.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote