HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban resigns with Montreal, Jan. 28 (post #1)

Old
01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Bit overrating him there, mate. While I believe he has the tools to eclipse Boyle, Keith and Yandle sooner rather than latter. It is something of a stretch to say he has already, in particular, Keith.

If a deal does happen though. I suspect Bryan and Luke are who go the other way, if not less. Montreal's trade resume does not convince me they could negotiate Couturier out of Philly.
I wouldn't do both Schenns for Subban either.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Who the hell is bryan?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Seriously? This is the Subban hype that is kinda crazy. Unless you consider PK a Top 10 defender in the league, which I will 100% disagree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
yeah , im very serious. PK is a serious talent in this league. He has the whole package imo. He is unbelievable out there.
@Jtown: is PK a very good d-man? Yes he is.
Is he a top ten D in the league? No, IMO.

Keep Your Head Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Who the hell is bryan?
Whoop. I always think that was his name for some reason.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Bit overrating him there, mate. While I believe he has the tools to eclipse Boyle, Keith and Yandle sooner rather than latter. It is something of a stretch to say he has already, in particular, Keith.

If a deal does happen though. I suspect Brayden and Luke are who go the other way, if not less. Montreal's trade resume does not convince me they could negotiate Couturier out of Philly.
Wait, both Schenns for Subban?

...?

Uh, no thank you.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Wait, both Schenns for Subban?

...?

Uh, no thank you.
Oh, I'm not saying do it. Just see it landing thereabouts, perhaps with Montreal adding. If it were to happen anyway. Then again, could be Read+ with the Habs lackluster trading record.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
How do the RFA rules work? If he doesn't sign by a certain date this season does he become a UFA, or will he continue to be an RFA next season and until his RFA time ends?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How do the RFA rules work? If he doesn't sign by a certain date this season does he become a UFA, or will he continue to be an RFA next season and until his RFA time ends?
I believe he remains a RFA until the term ends, which means Subban would be 27 before he could become an UFA.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
No.

As long as he is qualified, he remains RFA for the year.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Continues until he is either traded, players for seven years or turns 27.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
healthyscratch

Couturier for Punk Kid? No ****ing way. Might as well have drafted Dougie Hamilton then. ****ing stupidity if they make that trade.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
healthyscratch

Eklund's Flyer's source says "Absolutely not, no way" in regards to Coots for PK swap.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Eklund's Flyer's source says "Absolutely not, no way" in regards to Coots for PK swap.
Eklund you say?

Well that pretty much confirms a Coots for PK swap then.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Eklund you say?

Well that pretty much confirms a Coots for PK swap then.
Yea I know, but Ek has pretty good Flyer sources. I believe them a little bit more than the rest of his stuff.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

The stronger Luke Schenn plays the less leverage MTL has should they want to trade with the Flyers.

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The stronger Luke Schenn plays the less leverage MTL has should they want to trade with the Flyers.
Why? They are completely different players?

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Why? They are completely different players?
While it is true they are different types of players, the better L. Schenn plays the less dramatic the apparent neediness for a stud defenseman becomes, which gives leverage in working out a trade.

You ask for more from desperate trade partners. With Pronger gone and Kimmo about to retire, if Luke Schenn has a breakout year the stink of desperation is less.

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:44 AM
DAChampion

Habs fan here.

The only good thing about trading Subban to the Flyers in my mind is that I have good shot at then seeing him lift the cup over his head. I like the player and the Flyers are a legitimate contender.

Philadelphia adding Subban this year would be like Los Angeles adding Carter last year. It's the ons missing piece, no longer missing.

I don't particularly like your team due to a lot of rivalry, but that said Flyers are a good team and Subban is the missing piece.

Keep in mind he is actually better defensively than he is offensively. There's been a lot of analysis of Subban in the past three weeks. Offensively he's a borderline top-30 dman in the NHL, or at least he was last year, he gets a lot of points but that's due to a lot of minutes. Defensively, however, he is substantially better, maybe top-15 or so.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:47 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Keep in mind he is actually better defensively than he is offensively. There's been a lot of analysis of Subban in the past three weeks. Offensively he's a borderline top-30 dman in the NHL, or at least he was last year, he gets a lot of points but that's due to a lot of minutes. Defensively, however, he is substantially better, maybe top-15 or so.
With all of that said...why won't Montreal pay him?!?!

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
With all of that said...why won't Montreal pay him?!?!
I suspect our new GM is a retard.

I'm not sure what's wrong with him, if you come to our forum to see what people are saying, about two thirds of the fans are like "WTF ???" It's not as unanimous as Habs fandom was in rejecting the Gomez for Higgins+McDonagh trade, but it's close.

The GM has apparently offered a 2 year, 2.55 million/year contract to Subban. He wants Subban to prove himself, to prove he is a real pro, and he says that he is a new GM so he wants time to figure out if Subban is a good player, and that he needs time to figure this out. All of this demonstrates an idiot in management, but let's keep going.

A few months ago, the new coach (hired by the new GM), says he was looking forward to making Subban a better player and a better person, and that he sees Subban as a project. Isn't that a ridiculous comment?

I think this GM is quite bad, and the Habs could replace the Leafs as the laughingstock of the NHL. Philadelphia might have a good shot offersheeting Subban, the GM might decide to go for the 28th overall or whatever that Philly's first rounder would be.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
not that I would ever do it but the Flyers cant deal Couturier for Subban for the cap space alone. I said it earlier. I dont think the Flyers are a good match for what Montreal would need in return for Subban. The Flyers would have to send 4 million in salary the other way to make it work. Not going to happen IMO.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The Flyers should just offer him Benn's contract. The Habs can match and get this over with. They can save face and say they didn't fold on the whole bridge contract policy they have, and Subban can get payed what he's worth. If Montreal management really is that nuts that they don't want to pay him that badly enough not to match (which I doubt highly), then Philly is happy to have him.

I think that works out for everybody. Someone get Homer on the line.

EDIT:

Did anybody see the Seravalli piece where he said he doesn't think Subban is a 4 million dollar player? What the hell...

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
daynus

we gotta slow down on going after rfa

snyder made $$$ in business by taking risks. but that does not work in sports. we need to look at the success of the nfl and the way they handle the cap. a team like new england can bring in free agents and resign guys with the new england discount. new englands payroll is light in high priced guys and heavy in mid priced guys. with the nhl cap, players and agents need to realize that the player is expected to earn 90% of what they did before the cba broke down. if a player and agent feel he is worth 5M per season, then they should expect 4.5M. he can take it and know he is doing his part to keep the team together. or uproot his family, sell his house and move to another city, over 500K per season. and another lesson to learn is successful teams in the nfl build through the draft and unsigned free agents. we need to continue to draft bpa, and draft better dmen and not go after rfas like subban because he is a good player and ed may think he will help the team. fundamentals in this new era of nhl. and this team needs sharper pencils.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
snyder made $$$ in business by taking risks. but that does not work in sports. we need to look at the success of the nfl and the way they handle the cap. a team like new england can bring in free agents and resign guys with the new england discount. new englands payroll is light in high priced guys and heavy in mid priced guys. with the nhl cap, players and agents need to realize that the player is expected to earn 90% of what they did before the cba broke down. if a player and agent feel he is worth 5M per season, then they should expect 4.5M. he can take it and know he is doing his part to keep the team together. or uproot his family, sell his house and move to another city, over 500K per season. and another lesson to learn is successful teams in the nfl build through the draft and unsigned free agents. we need to continue to draft bpa, and draft better dmen and not go after rfas like subban because he is a good player and ed may think he will help the team. fundamentals in this new era of nhl. and this team needs sharper pencils.
that's not entirely true, bruins traded for defense and won a cup, La traded for carter and won a cup, penguins signed fas and won a cup, colorado got blake and traded for ray bourque and won a cup, it's the matter of getting the missing pieces to make this successful, it's too soon on the rangers right now to be judged because they can get hot at the right time.

it's the mistake the oilers and islanders are making that their roster nothing but youth, they have been poor for 7 years, you may love your youth but it doesnt mean it's going to guarantee success, it's the point of having vets on your team, not big time players but pieces that fit.

defense is the more important positon in hockey than offense and if they have to give up some youth to get that player then they have to. especially, the defense provides more offense than the offensive players.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

It is absolutely astounding how much hate the schenn brothers are getting on the main board..... I forgot a 22 year old forward and 24 year old defender are at their peaks and will only decline from here. Also so happy all the scouts out there only see schenn as a 50 point player. I don't know why they aren't scouting for NHL teams by now...

I would never trade both schenns for subban. He isn't the true #1 defender we really need.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote