HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild-Pens

Old
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I think Big Horse would thrive in Minny.
He's gonna be a damn good player. Not many like him in the league. 6'4, top notch skating. Can match up physically with Ovy, Hossa. Big potential.

I wouldn't move him unless we were getting a potential Neal player back. Seto fits that perfectly. Very good fit with Sid and a RHS for the PP.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:57 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He's gonna be a damn good player. Not many like him in the league. 6'4, top notch skating. Can match up physically with Ovy, Hossa. Big potential.

I wouldn't move him unless we were getting a potential Neal player back. Seto fits that perfectly. Very good fit with Sid and a RHS for the PP.
He might fit perfectly, but the price for Seto needs to come down significantly.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wild GM Fletcher likes to make 1-for-1 trades much of the time, especially when salary is close. See Havlat for Heatley, Schultz for Gilbert, etc.

Looking at Pittsburgh's defense, the obvious name is Niskanen. Russo mentions Despres and it looks like there was a rumor Despres could be on the move.

Could a Pens fan give a bit of a scouting report on both players?

Here's mine on Seto:

Great shot and fast north-south speed. Below average hands and offensive instincts. When fed passes, can bury the puck, but does not create his own scoring chances. Scored quite a bit with Thornton so would probably do great with Crosby or Malkin. Has been playing a more physical "grinder" type game this year so can move up or down the lineup.

Now, my reservations would be:

- Wild have a lot of young defensemen with questionable upside. Falk, Prosser, and Scandella. We would likely have to waive or trade one of them.

- Wild are at 50 contracts now, so can't take on additional NHL players.

- Pens are close to the cap, so Niskanen would make more sense than Despres from that standpoint.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
nwpensfan

Not real comfortable trading any of our prospects on the blueline for Seto at this point. Lovejoy, Tangradi and possibly Bottuzzo in some form (not all) I can see.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 PM
NugarifiK

vCash: 50
If it were me, done deal.

NugarifiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wild GM Fletcher likes to make 1-for-1 trades much of the time, especially when salary is close. See Havlat for Heatley, Schultz for Gilbert, etc.

Looking at Pittsburgh's defense, the obvious name is Niskanen. Russo mentions Despres and it looks like there was a rumor Despres could be on the move.

Here's mine on Seto:

Great shot and fast north-south speed. Below average hands and offensive instincts. When fed passes, can bury the puck, but does not create his own scoring chances. Scored quite a bit with Thornton so would probably do great with Crosby or Malkin. Has been playing a more physical "grinder" type game this year so can move up or down the lineup.

- Wild have a lot of young defensemen with questionable upside. Falk, Prosser, and Scandella. We would likely have to waive or trade one of them.

- Pens are close to the cap, so Niskanen would make more sense than Despres from that standpoint.
i couldn't imagine the Pens trading Niskanen this season, regardless of how close to the cap they are. he's really found his game after leaving Dallas. he's a very nice fit on a top pairing with Letang.

if they want to clear cap space, they have more appropriate players to move. Niskanen won't save them enough money for them to consider a deal like that, especially with Niskanen playing well enough to be on their top pairing right now.

besides, i'm not sure what you meant with the bolded comment unless you mean they can't do a deal that would send them two contracts if they're only sending one.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Not real comfortable trading any of our prospects on the blueline for Seto at this point. Lovejoy, Tangradi and possibly Bottuzzo in some form (not all) I can see.
Except teams wouldn't any of those players, outside of Tangradi maybe. If the Shero is going to make a significant trade, then it would probably involve draft picks or one of the defensemen.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
mpp9

Quote:

Here's mine on Seto:

Niskanen is a great complementary player. Has really turned his game around in Pittsburgh without being relied upon to carry a D-corps. Makes very good decisions in his own zone. Will battle along the boards, takes hits to make plays. Good puck mover. Capable of playing 1st unit PP. Don't see us moving him with how good he's looked with Letang. We'd want a proven top line player back.

Despres is still developing, but is absolutely NHL ready. Big guy. Excellent skater. Still learning not to overdo it in his own zone, much like how Letang was a few years back. He's a jack of all trades. Isn't elite at anything, but very good in all facets. Most likely a 2nd pairing, 2nd unit PP guy for you.

As for Seto. He's definitely a complementary player. Can't carry a line or regularly produce on his own. But with an elite center, I think he has the instincts to put himself into spots to score alot of goals for us. Has the speed to keep with Sid. And being a RHS, would step right onto our 1st unit PP.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
PenguinTommy

If Iggy is not available at the deadline this year (Despres+1st+something small), I would do it for Seto. We need RH shot badly! Someone who can hold a puck for a second, on the left wall during the PP.

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Here's mine on Seto:

Pens are close to the cap? Nope. Check capgeek.com. Minnesota is closer to being capped out. We have room for a pretty decent salary.

Below average hands with declining goal and point totals. That is the reservation. He just didn't decline in Minnesota. He started to declined the year after his 30-goal season.

It would be retarded for Pittsburgh to deal one of its starting six blueliners - Niskanen - one of our best and Despres, a kid with HIGH upside, for Setogucchi. I think this would be a terrible trade for Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh fans who are for this are envisioning the 30-goal scorer a few years back from San Jose. He isn't that anymore.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
If Iggy is not available at the deadline this year (Despres+1st+something small), I would do it for Seto. We need RH shot badly! Someone who can hold a puck for a second, on the left wall during the PP.
You don't send that type of return for Seto. That would be absolutely horrid. Bortuzzo and a third.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Sideline

Quote:

Here's mine on Seto:

When Shero has traded defensemen in the past it has been for the asset everyone knows he wants (Kunitz and Neal) and a secondary piece (Tangradi and Niskanen). If he were to do Niskanen for Seto I wouldn't be surprised to see one of your young defensemen with questionable upside included.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

As a fan of both teams, I think this is a trade that's great for both teams. Setoguchi would be insane to watch with Crosby and Despres would give me a lot more confidence about our young defensemen going forward. What I think would happen would Despres would continue to be in Houston for the year (barring injuries) and Zucker would likely take Setoguchi's spot.

As for the person who suggested Maata (sorry, I forgot who it was) instead of Despres, that'd be really interesting. Considering before the draft, Maata said he wanted Minnesota to select him. The one thing to keep in mind is Maata would be those few years behind Despres in development, but either way, I'd be happy with either one.

While I do agree with Fel's point about it'd be strange trading Setoguchi - after we just signed his good buddy Torrey Mitchell last summer, I don't think the Penguins are in a position to take on Mitchell's salary and it's still a business. From what I remember (I haven't got to watch ever Wild game this year), Mitchell has looked pretty good out there.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
As a fan of both teams, I think this is a trade that's great for both teams. Setoguchi would be insane to watch with Crosby and Despres would give me a lot more confidence about our young defensemen going forward. What I think would happen would Despres would continue to be in Houston for the year (barring injuries) and Zucker would likely take Setoguchi's spot.

As for the person who suggested Maata (sorry, I forgot who it was) instead of Despres, that'd be really interesting. Considering before the draft, Maata said he wanted Minnesota to select him. The one thing to keep in mind is Maata would be those few years behind Despres in development, but either way, I'd be happy with either one.

While I do agree with Fel's point about it'd be strange trading Setoguchi - after we just signed his good buddy Torrey Mitchell last summer, I don't think the Penguins are in a position to take on Mitchell's salary and it's still a business. From what I remember (I haven't got to watch ever Wild game this year), Mitchell has looked pretty good out there.
Why trade a young defenseman with upside like Despres, for Setogucchi's declining numbers? Please explain that one for me. Don't say he is the perfect fit for Crosby either. He declined immediately the following year after 30 goals and was surrounded by great talent. I wouldn't even give up Matta either.

Seto has been a bust in Minnesota and is now a spare part instead of a solution. Do you give up a high prospect, or someone like that for a spare part? I don't.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
besides, i'm not sure what you meant with the bolded comment unless you mean they can't do a deal that would send them two contracts if they're only sending one.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
When Shero has traded defensemen in the past it has been for the asset everyone knows he wants (Kunitz and Neal) and a secondary piece (Tangradi and Niskanen). If he were to do Niskanen for Seto I wouldn't be surprised to see one of your young defensemen with questionable upside included.
I think most of us would add Prosser without a second thought.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post

Pens have tons of cap space. Won't be a problem to take Mitchell on. But we don't have a roster spot for him.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Except teams wouldn't any of those players, outside of Tangradi maybe. If the Shero is going to make a significant trade, then it would probably involve draft picks or one of the defensemen.
I am not quite convinced that getting Seto constitutes a significant enough return to give up one of our prospects, IMO.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I am not quite convinced that getting Seto constitutes a significant enough return to give up one of our prospects, IMO.
exactly

Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

I absolutely would not give up Despres for Setoguchi.

Seto's a one-trick pony - the sort of guy who should be taken as a flier, not somebody who you give up a promising, dynamic 6'4" defenseman who can skate like the wind for.

I think some Pens fans are so sick of seeing Tangradi and Dupuis in the top 6 that they'd overpay to see it end abruptly. Fortunately, they don't run the team.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well that's the only way Minnesota would consider dealing him.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I absolutely would not give up Despres for Setoguchi.

Seto's a one-trick pony - the sort of guy who should be taken as a flier, not somebody who you give up a promising, dynamic 6'4" defenseman who can skate like the wind for.

I think some Pens fans are so sick of seeing Tangradi and Dupuis in the top 6 that they'd overpay to see it end abruptly. Fortunately, they don't run the team.
What was Neal before he got here?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
What was Neal before he got here?
A big, durable winger who was on pace for 29 goals.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
A big, durable winger who was on pace for 29 goals.
With an elite center. His greatest asset is his shot. As is Seto's. He's not on another level in terms of skill or something.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

IMO we need to fill that top 6. I'm not sure it's such an emergency that we can't wait awhile to find that person. Teams aren't biting at the bit to make trades at this point because they want to see where they stand, and if they're sellers or buyers.

I like Seto and I think he would put up San Jose numbers in Pittsburgh, but I'm not in a rush to let go of high-upside prospects like Despres until we see what the markets really like.

We have cap space and assets. I want to see us grab a big fish.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Why trade a young defenseman with upside like Despres, for Setogucchi's declining numbers? Please explain that one for me. Don't say he is the perfect fit for Crosby either. He declined immediately the following year after 30 goals and was surrounded by great talent. I wouldn't even give up Matta either.

Seto has been a bust in Minnesota and is now a spare part instead of a solution. Do you give up a high prospect, or someone like that for a spare part? I don't.
Wasn't the reason his numbers declined in San Jose after that big year because they took him off the first line?

As for his Wild stats, two summers ago he was hit by a car, he was injured for all of December 2011, and with all the other injuries we had to our team, he still ended up scoring 19 goals.

You don't think he could get at least 30 again alongside Crosby?

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote