HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton

Old
01-27-2013, 09:53 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

vCash: 500
tim tweeted this about 9am today

Quote:
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Source: as of last night, Laughton "not going anywhere." Sounds like he remains which will greatly please Laviolette
https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Krishna

Good news

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Hmm. I was kind of hoping he got sent down. Nothing against him and he has been fine, I just don't see this team going that deep in the playoffs. Seems like a waste of a contract year. I guess they figure his development is better served at the NHL level.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think we all put too much stock into the whole "contract year" issue with these young players. If he deserves to stay(which he does) he stays.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think we all put too much stock into the whole "contract year" issue with these young players. If he deserves to stay(which he does) he stays.
Yeah I mean I'm not complaining, I was just thinking in terms of the cap for the future. He's played fine and certainly has shown he can hang in the NHL, it's just the shrinking cap and large contracts that will have to be doled out to keep this core together.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Haute Couturier

I think he should be sent down. He hadn't come close to dominating the OHL and could use more time to develop his offensive skill set.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
dawkins121

He's been useful, but I really don't think he's been enough of a stand out to justify burning a year of his ELC when we have guys like McGinn and Rusty who can do basically the same job. I'm sure this 5 game stretch has been a good experience but he's going to inevitably hit a rookie wall (probably right around playoff time) and I just feel like come April we'll all be wishing he was safely developing in the OHL rather than getting the shaft every time Lavi shortens the bench in a critical game because he can't trust a rookie. Don't get me wrong he's looked good, but Couturier he ain't.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
YuioIklo

Like I said in my other post, ressources for him to develop are way better in the NHL than in the OHL. Icetime has little to do with it.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Laughton doesn't have the offensive skillset that Couturier has. Anyone making that comparison between the two needs to understand they're two completely different players. Laughton is a much more physical player who plays with the mentality of defense first. He knows his role and plays it. I'm not opposed either way if the Flyers keep him (which I think is a pretty safe bet that Laughton's going nowhere) or if he goes back to Oshawa (he'll play lots of minutes there). Whatever is best for Laughton should be the decision the Flyers make, not whether or not they burn a year off his ELC.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
RoDu

I think, as the season goes on Laughton will see more PK time too

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I am curious to see what happens when Briere is fully healthy. Will they move Laughton to the fourth line center or keep Briere at wing?

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I am curious to see what happens when Briere is fully healthy. Will they move Laughton to the fourth line center or keep Briere at wing?
I've always expressed that I want Briere to move to wing toward the end of his career. The hour is getting late.

Anyway, two things about Laughton staying up...

1. I feel that in general smarter players are able to come up early without their development getting effected too harshly. Laughton is a very intelligent hockey player.

2. I could see him topping out at potentially 50 points. He's not an offensive dynamo, so he's never going to get that money contract to the point where we have to really factor him in. If he does get there, it won't be for years, particularly with Giroux and Couturier ahead of him.

I was on the fence last night after the game, but I came to the conclusion that we could really use him.

Simmonds - Giroux - Read
Hartnell - Couturier - Briere
Knuble - Laughton - Voracek
Talbot - Fedotenko - McGinn

I like it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Simmonds - Giroux - Read
Knuble - Laughton - Voracek
Talbot - Fedotenko - McGinn

I like it.
Brayden Schenn is not pleased with his AHL demotion.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Brayden Schenn is not pleased with his AHL demotion.

Simmonds - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Laughton - Schenn
Talbot - Fedotenko - Knuble
Shelley

Bye McGinn.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
cheesesteak

He makes the team better and if you're gonna do it with Couturier you gotta do it here IMO.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:29 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
He makes the team better and if you're gonna do it with Couturier you gotta do it here IMO.
They aren't the same though. Different scenarios.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Broad Street Elite

Someone has said it before, but the Flyers have earned the right in my mind to appropriately judge how to properly develop a forward. I'm comfortable with either decision.

I predict that he stays, because with 2 games in Florida, it made no sense to send down Wellwood before last night's game considering that he is the natural replacement for Laughton's minutes. They could have healthy scratched him to let him travel and play today, but they chose not to.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
dawkins121

I just don't see how he makes the team that much better. Sure he fits in as a bottom 6 grinder which is great to see for a teenage rookie but does he bring anything to the table that can't be replaced fairly easily by someone like McGinn? I guess I just don't think it's worth it to burn a year of his ELC when the value he adds over a potential replacement at this point in his development is marginal at best.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I just don't see how he makes the team that much better. Sure he fits in as a bottom 6 grinder which is great to see for a teenage rookie but does he bring anything to the table that can't be replaced fairly easily by someone like McGinn? I guess I just don't think it's worth it to burn a year of his ELC when the value he adds over a potential replacement at this point in his development is marginal at best.
I think it'll be good for Laughton's confidence/development to stay.

He's also earned it. He makes our team better than having McGinn or Wellwood even if it's only slightly. It would be in bad taste to tell this kid that all he has to do to make the team is play his ass off and earn only to send him down. Our policy is you earn your roster spot. I'm happy we do things like that.

It's funny though because he's like a cross between McGinn and Wellwood with legitimate offensive potential; nothing earth-shattering but decent.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
stuccoman

If they send Laughton down he can not be called back up right? I am a little scared with all the injuries we have right now, I mean if Briere's wrist starts to bother him again he could all of the sudden sit out a few more games, and as we know we could have a serious injury at any time and then we are in trouble. I know we have Wellwood to be recalled if needed but it would not take much to see Shelley back in the lineup and that's never a good thing. When everyone comes back we will have a great lineup but we are far from that and that's without anymore injuries.

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
AaronTrieu

I like to see us develop our own bottom six guys. Feels like we always pick these players in free agency.

AaronTrieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
boodangleroo28

I forget the quote by homer recently but his job is to put together the best possible roster we have NOW. If Scott is a top 12 forward in our organization he stays, and that's it. Age, entry level years do not factor in.

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccoman View Post
If they send Laughton down he can not be called back up right? I am a little scared with all the injuries we have right now, I mean if Briere's wrist starts to bother him again he could all of the sudden sit out a few more games, and as we know we could have a serious injury at any time and then we are in trouble. I know we have Wellwood to be recalled if needed but it would not take much to see Shelley back in the lineup and that's never a good thing. When everyone comes back we will have a great lineup but we are far from that and that's without anymore injuries.
If he was called up, he would still lose a year of his ELC.

If that was a possibility, why not keep him and let him develop here?

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Simmonds - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Laughton - Schenn
Talbot - Fedotenko - Knuble
Shelley

Bye McGinn.
swap Knuble and McGinn

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Pantoch says Laughton will not play tonight, in order to delay decision. Oshawa doesn't play again until Friday.

Oshawa has 19 games left before the playoffs. Their last game is March 17. I guess the decision is whether or not 19 games is worth development (plus playoffs, they will be in). Or if keeping him is worth burning a year on his ELC in a 48-game season.

He's clearly going to be on the team next year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote