HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Halibut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
With the way his deal is structured I'm not to worried about being able to move him in the 2018-19 season. Also we've seen a ton of high profile goalies play we'll into there late 30's I don't think Luongo would be an exception to this. The only risk involved is if his play goes into the toilet before we get to the 2018-19 season. Either way if he can give us 5 years where were legitimate contenders with a cup or two I think taking on the contract is worth the risk.
Hey we would have been set if Khabibulin had given us 4 years of decent play instead we got a couple weeks. I dont think it's as easy to get rid of Luongo as you are making it look and I think the chances of his play going into the toilet before then are more than a slight risk. I wouldnt want to be stuck with a $5 million cap hit for a backup that you can no longer get rid of at the point where we are challenging for a cup.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
The Moose

So far he didn't prove he is the goalie to rely on for a deep playoff run. I think this is the last season he can convince us otherwise.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ftr I've never thought Dubnyk was the guy. Never been comfortable with him as number 1.
But there was a thread up just recently where such opinion was the minority view and a lot of posters suggesting that Dubnyk had turned over the corner. Where are those posters today? That was just 2 weeks ago here lol.

The amazing thing is how many of us actually think Dubs ISN'T the guy. But has anybodies opinion changed?

Dubnyk is like Bad Luongo. You know, absolutely know, that in the wrong pressure moments he will crack, his game will fall apart, and he'll look like he did against SJ. Because we've seen this often enough with him through the years. He's very much of a confidence goalie. Plays reasonably well when things are going his way but doesn't have the psyche to withstand when they're not. He gets rattled, he stops doing the things that contribute to any success. His game falls apart.

to wit against SJ:

-He's tight in the net, which basically negates his size advantage and prevents him from sealing off angle shots. He's hugging goal post and allowing guys to pick spots from an angle. They should have nothing to shoot at.

-Going down prematurely, way too early, way too often. This telegraphs for shooter to go high and also limits Dubnyks mobility. He needs to be on his feet more.

-Rebound control flies south. Easiest thing to note and that tells whether Dubs is on or not is his rebound control. When its off you know he's struggling with focus.
To me, Dubnyk and Hemsky are viewed the same. Crap for the most part [or sub-par to be nice] and then will have a moment here or there were they just redeem themselves for that brief moment.

Way too frustrating to watch

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
GMofOilers

Totally agree with you replacement. You can tell when Dubnyk is fighting the puck by his rebounds. So obvious, I wanted Krueger to pull him in the first 5 mins in both the sharks and flames games!

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
No, I would not trade Anderson for him. And yes, I agree that he's mostly a de facto starter rather than a legit starter. I think he could be a great backup.

The fact that he lets in softies and is inconsistent is why he's a mediocre goalie at this level. I mentioned the D being weak because I think with a competent defensive unit, Dubnyk's save percentage would be closer to ~ .910, rather than an abysmal .884.
Point is, team could be heading to the third period 0-0 against say Vancouver, going neck and neck and even though by that point, Dubnyk has made 30 saves, he'll let in a softy that deflates the team. Thats the problem. Blame all the D you want but players like Luongo, Quick, Lundqvist, they are good because they have the talent, not rely on others.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

never really liked dubnyk. hes a monster in size so you'd think he'd have a major advantage but no.

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Tyrolean

I don't like overly tall goalies. Ideally you get one that is 6 feet and has super quickness. Dubnyk is an average inconsistent goalie, not the quickest reflexes but gets the job done with positioning and good defence. When these disappear he is below average.

Kipper OTHO is a great goalie and that's who we need. Luango would be perfect except his contract is a great hindrance.

I'd really hunt for a replacement goalie in the future.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

I'm tired of seeing pucks trickle through his wickets. Tighten your damn legs.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9950
His performance has been obscured by the terrible D zone coverage and the number of shots the opponent is allowed to take.

Tighten up the D and spend more time in the O zone is the answer to the Dubey question.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
oilersfan87

He'd be a really good backup, as for a legit starter I'm not convinced he'll ever be one.

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Aerchon

We are exactly where I had hoped we wouldnt be 4 games into the season.

Looking more like a last place team than a playoff team.

It is way to early to say which way this season could go but right now with this small sample size it does not look good.

And the main reaosn IMO is Dub.

With Dani (whom I do not like) in net last night I believe we would have won 3-2.

He has let in 5 very weak goals in 4 games... wtf... really. Gimmie a break. How the %^&* we gonna win games with goaltending like that.

And for anyone saying he was interfered with on the first goal please open your eye. That puck went straight in, thru Dubs 5 hole. Maybe he got scared of the contact, spread his legs wide open to brace himself but to me that is just as horrible. He lost sight of the puck and just let is slide right through him.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

He played a big role in the two games the team won and was great in those games.

He wasn't in any way the reason the team lost the two games it has.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
armandh01

To be honest, Dubnyk is far from the core issues this team has. We have about 4 defense men playing subpar (rusty or just plain awful) and our 2nd and 3rd lines can't pressure worth a damn so the puck is in our end WAY too much.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
At best, he's a 20th - 30th starting goalie in the NHL. At worst, he's not even a starter. I view him as a stop gap until we can pick up a solid UFA goalie in the offseason.
Although Luongo is significantly better, I don't see him as the answer because of that contract. I don't want Luongo if it's going to prevent us from re-signing one of our top 5.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
I don't know what to think anymore. Plays great in Vancouver, sucks against San Jose. Great against LA, plays bad in Calgary. Inconsistency is his problem and it's only 4 games in so he better prove he can be consistent.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Horseradish

I'm not going to give our fan base much credit when it comes to evaluating goalies. Tommy Salo was a long-time favourite here, when it was very obvious to myself and a number of other people who played goal that not only was he woefully bad positionally, but that he had no consistency in his unorthodoxy either (Hasek, for example, was also positionally awful when it comes to traditional goaltending concepts of angles, widely recognized "best practice" moves, fundamentals, etc...but he had his own set of fundamentals, rules, and style that he was actually quite rigid with. Tim Thomas is another example of that type).

Dubnyk has the athleticism and fundamentals to be a good starting goalie in the league. I'd even say right now that he's an average one. I do question his mental strength, but a lot of goalies struggle with that until their mid-late 20s...the difference, in my eyes, is that if a goalie is fundamentally and athletically sound, he'll never be a *bad* goalie. It's just whether Dubnyk has the psychological make-up to take him from *average* to *good* or *great*. A perfect example of this is NJ's netminding duo. Brodeur and Hedberg aren't THAT far apart in pure ability, I wouldn't say. I'd say Brodeur is better, obviously, but the biggest difference between them, in my opinion, is their mental make-up. Brodeur had/has the ability to just zone in for long stretches where he could steal games with his focus alone. Hedberg had the ability to steal games with both his focus and his ability, but never for prolongued periods, which is why he never stuck around as a starter for any team for very long.

Dubnyk's just not at that point yet. He's traditionally got stronger as the season has worn on, and I expect him to do so again. His incremental improvement in SP% and wins at each level show to me that he has what it takes to get it done in Edmonton. Is he out of the woods yet? No, but I think he will emerge as a good starter for at least a few years in the league, with Edmonton or not.

Pretty unfair to bring this post up after a 4-3 loss, and a poor defensive effort, in any event. For crying out loud, give our guys more than 6 days to prove their worth. I know it's a shortened season, but cripes, give them 6 or 7 games, especially when they're perfectly competitive even with a 2-2 record.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Is there an option for "Too early to tell off a great selection of... 4 games?"

For instance, Dubnyk is currently at 43/53 goalies in the league with a 3.82 GAA and 38th at 0.884 S%.

At 4.71 GAA, 0.845 S%, I'm sure everyone would scream if we traded Dubnyk for the terrible goaltender (even worse than Dubnyk) Cam Ward . Obviously, Carolina would add.

Or, maybe, the space-time continuum would collapse if Tambellini was stupid enough to trade straight up for 5.04 GAA 0.863 S% goalie Braden Holtby .

Y'know, maybe we can strike when the iron's hot and package Dubnyk with Omark and maybe Teubert for a slight upgrade, the 3.00 GAA 0.904 S% goalie Jonathan Quick .

I'm not the biggest believer in Dubnyk by any means.

But I don't mind stats. Give him a little more time, methinks.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Bottom line on Dubnyk is I am confident it would be totally impossible to win a Stanley Cup with him in net. Great goalies are mandatory for cup runs, and he's not great. If your only goal was to make the playoffs, then he might suffice if your defense can minimize his exposure, but we're not the calgary flames.

Knowing that he's never going to be part of a cup winning team, doesn't it make more sense to replace him now rather than pissing some of the good years of this team away?

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
OILFAN #81

Nope. We need a top pairing defenseman plus a starting goalie to be able to compete. Dubnyk always seems to let in 1 bad goal a game.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Hey we would have been set if Khabibulin had given us 4 years of decent play instead we got a couple weeks. I dont think it's as easy to get rid of Luongo as you are making it look and I think the chances of his play going into the toilet before then are more than a slight risk. I wouldnt want to be stuck with a $5 million cap hit for a backup that you can no longer get rid of at the point where we are challenging for a cup.
Luongo's deal drops to 3.6M in 2018-19, then 1.6 in 2019-20, then 1M for the final two years. For a team looking to reach the cap floor Luongo would make a great back up especially if Edmonton gives up a 3rd to get rid of him. Also comparing Khabibulin to Luongo is laughable, Khabi was brutal in Chicago and Tambo still gave him that ridiculous deal. I would have been happier if Tambo took a chance on Anderson considering how good he had looked prior to signing his UFA deal with the Avalanche.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't know what to think anymore. Plays great in Vancouver, sucks against San Jose. Great against LA, plays bad in Calgary. Inconsistency is his problem and it's only 4 games in so he better prove he can be consistent.
Was he really bad last night? Two of the goals were total blown coverages, one he was getting run over and both Smyth and Petry lost a puck battle to Backlund, and the other he was screened but probably should have stopped it considering where it was shot.

Also keep in mind the puck was in the Oilers zone for the majority of the game and there were many huge saves that Dubnyk did make to give his team a chance.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Jeff Lebowski

I would give him this season to see what he can do. He looked really good in the LA game,but really shaky last night. He seemed to be really fighting the puck. It's early in the season though, but he really needs to get consistent soon or we won't be making the playoffs. I'm really hoping that he can be the guy for us though.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
armandh01

Dubnyk hasn't played enough during the lockout for me to make any judgements 4 games into the season. We'll see at 20-25 games.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Kipper had a .850 save% last night.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
His performance has been obscured by the terrible D zone coverage and the number of shots the opponent is allowed to take.

Tighten up the D and spend more time in the O zone is the answer to the Dubey question.
It's inevitable that the D messes up though. It's part of the game. But the issue is how dubnyk responds to it and he tends it let in the weak ones then