HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
  #51
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I want three picks in a row: The 30th, 31st, and 32nd!!! If Nashville could just lose in regulation we'd be set. I don't want to jinx it either but no way does Calgary make a dent in the standings.

It's fun hoping both these teams lose as much as possible. Especially the Flames. 88-89 was my first cognizant season of following the Habs and I still hate seeing Lanny with the Cup.
I remember the '89 cup run well, still stings but thankfully the '93 cup run made up for it and then some. I hope I didn't just jinx it though as the flames get a big win, boo . Would be thrilled though if the Flames were to somehow end up picking in the top 10 as a pick in the 30's to go with Holland and a improved RB would have last years trade looking better. Now if Nashville would be kind enough to start losing in regulation and the Flames struggle to get points, the June draft could end up being a lot of fun.

montreal is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
  #52
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Nope. Mack will go top3.
I think so at this point because unlike Grigorenko he plays for a team that seems unstoppable but it seems he gets dissected more than anyone else, like people want him to fail. Of course a lot of you watch the Q regularly so I trust your judgment, the only person here who seems to have an agenda against him is Carey Price so much like Grigorenko a lot of the criticism is earned.

But the Grigorenko and Couturier comparisons come with just how much of a microscope he's under compared to other prospects, and I could see it hurting, especially with Drouin playing so well. I think it's foolish to consider either Drouin or Mackinnon a product of the other, but after the WJC I see a lot of unfair talk shifting that Mac is a product of Drouin (as opposed to the other way around, which was the mainstream rhetoric going into this season)

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  #53
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I'm with Bergevin the way he handles Subban's case. 5-5,5 millions for two years is well enough for a one man show. He is spectacular but it doesn't always pay off as, sometimes it costs more than it pays. A Kovalev type of player. Back to the draft, in the 10-15 spot, maybe Darnell Nurse could be available. I liked wath I saw from him. If we go with a forward Erne is my pick. I guy that seems to be less heralded latelly is Sean Monahan. It would be a great pick at around 7 to 10. Realistically, I would like to see Bergevin and Timmins pick Adam Erne, Anthony Mantha, Spencer Martin and Laurent Dauphin in the first and second round. It would gives us strenght, speed and skills in front and a future top goalie. If we are lucky enough, Samuel Morin could be available in the third.
How the hell do you compare Subban with Kovalev? Horrible comparison. Subban competes every night like nobody's business. If he makes mistakes they are usually as a result or trying too hard not taking shortcuts.

If Bergevin is even entertaining trading Subban he should be FIRED. I'm already pissed at his handling of Subban's contract, bridge or no bridge, 2 years 5.1 mil is a joke for a player of PK's calibre and who logged the minutes he did last year.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
  #54
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,552
vCash: 500
Can we stop talking about management and players and actually focus on draftees and picks?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:28 PM
  #55
Fern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
I compared Subban and Kovalev as both wanna be a one man show. They spin, danggle but that often doesn't pay. Less flashy players sometimes add more to a team. But I'm not for tanking again this year. In a deep draft like this one, we will land great picks in the first two rounds so why do we have to suck again? There's gonna be a lot of interesting picks in the second half of the first round. Erne, Mantha, Rychel, Domi, Fucale, Santini.... This draft has very good players at all position, so could land a top goalie (Comrie, Martin, Fucale), a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenceman in round one and two. In a deep draft like that, quantity is better than quality IMO. And if you wanna tank for years to come, sign Subban for 27-30 for five years. With a cap hit over 5 millions for the overrated prima donna. He is half the player Markov his, so we will have to pay the russian "what he is worthing"

Fern is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
  #56
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I compared Subban and Kovalev as both wanna be a one man show. They spin, danggle but that often doesn't pay. Less flashy players sometimes add more to a team. But I'm not for tanking again this year. In a deep draft like this one, we will land great picks in the first two rounds so why do we have to suck again? There's gonna be a lot of interesting picks in the second half of the first round. Erne, Mantha, Rychel, Domi, Fucale, Santini.... This draft has very good players at all position, so could land a top goalie (Comrie, Martin, Fucale), a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenceman in round one and two. In a deep draft like that, quantity is better than quality IMO. And if you wanna tank for years to come, sign Subban for 27-30 for five years. With a cap hit over 5 millions for the overrated prima donna. He is half the player Markov his, so we will have to pay the russian "what he is worthing"
Just because they both spin and dangle it doesn't make them similar players. Subban's compete level is 200% higher and he is as good at the other end of the ice plus brings it physically.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  #57
Fern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Connor Hurley

this very young Edina player has very good stats and is an early second rounder according to RLR. Anyone has seen him play? A very interesting player for the second round is Ryan Kujawinski. He is falling lately but he is a big center with skills, something we still needs in the system.

Fern is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
  #58
Fern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Just because they both spin and dangle it doesn't make them similar players. Subban's compete level is 200% higher and he is as good at the other end of the ice plus brings it physically.
I understand that they don't have the same compete level, and they don't have the same skill level either. I just compare their flashy style has fans tend to overrate flashy players. Subban can play good defense but i often tries to do to much to please the fans. I remember a couple of rush by Subban when leading by a goal. He doesn't play with the clock. He is still young and I like the guy still don't think we have to spend 5 millions right now.

Fern is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
  #59
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nashville picking up all these loser points is pissing me off too.
Tell me about it. Calgary is doing it right.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:18 PM
  #60
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Can we stop talking about management and players and actually focus on draftees and picks?
Agreed, some posters seem to actually think they know more than actual GMs, now that's pathetically funny

How about discussing prospects who could go between 20 and 40, anybody have some insights ?

Vasculio is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
  #61
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
I compared Subban and Kovalev as both wanna be a one man show.
Kovalev is responsible for making our team competitive in the period 2005-09. He's that gamebreaking winger we'd like to have.

That's part of why I wanted Alexander Semin signed last summer, and would like him targeted this summer. Semin could become the new Kovalev. He has the talent to do so.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  #62
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,637
vCash: 567
Looks like it's time to start focusing on the Erne/Shinkaruk/Pulock/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Nurse/Domi/Morrissey types.

All kids who, in other drafts, would be top 5-7 candidates, but in this draft they will likely go between 7 and 15. Any of those names would fit in well in our prospect pool, IMO.

Throw in home boys like Gauthier and Mantha as possibilities too.

We likely won't get one of the big 6 with how the team is playing right now...then again maybe Monahan can fall for some retarded reason, usually there's at least 1 who does.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
  #63
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
When you consider that our last 4 2nd rounders are Thrower, Collberg, Kristo and PK; I'm really excited to see what TT can do with three in one of the deepest drafts in recent years.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
  #64
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Looks like it's time to start focusing on the Erne/Shinkaruk/Pulock/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Nurse/Domi/Morrissey types.

All kids who, in other drafts, would be top 5-7 candidates, but in this draft they will likely go between 7 and 15. Any of those names would fit in well in our prospect pool, IMO.

Throw in home boys like Gauthier and Mantha as possibilities too.

We likely won't get one of the big 6 with how the team is playing right now...then again maybe Monahan can fall for some retarded reason, usually there's at least 1 who does.
I'm torn..on one hand we need forwards more than defenders, on the other, a Ristolainen or Zadarov, or to a lesser extent Nurse (who I don't think has the same ceiling) could potentially leave us with a blueline that is a nightmare to play against. A Domi or an Erne doesn't excite me as much as the better defenders in this draft.

But there's plenty of options either way. Depending on where him and us are projected to go, rolling the dice on a Gauthier might be worth it at this rate.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:07 PM
  #65
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think so at this point because unlike Grigorenko he plays for a team that seems unstoppable but it seems he gets dissected more than anyone else, like people want him to fail. Of course a lot of you watch the Q regularly so I trust your judgment, the only person here who seems to have an agenda against him is Carey Price so much like Grigorenko a lot of the criticism is earned.

But the Grigorenko and Couturier comparisons come with just how much of a microscope he's under compared to other prospects, and I could see it hurting, especially with Drouin playing so well. I think it's foolish to consider either Drouin or Mackinnon a product of the other, but after the WJC I see a lot of unfair talk shifting that Mac is a product of Drouin (as opposed to the other way around, which was the mainstream rhetoric going into this season)
Tavares was getting the same treatment. So did Couturier. That's what happens with top dogs. It comes with the attention. Thing is Mack isn't slowing down compared to last year, by any means, and while he didn't dominate at the WJC, he didn't look out of place and deserved a spot, and arguably more ice time. Couturier looked lost in his WJC. Sean also didn't improve his offensive production from the previous year.

Sometimes I wonder for those type of guys if it's better to get an injury when their stock is at the highest, so their struggles don't make them go lower than they should.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
  #66
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
I will agree with anyone who says we already have our fair share of smaller forwards, but Habs absolutely have to take a look at Taylor Cammarrata. Kid is for real.

He played on the same team as Mackinnon two years ago with Shattuck's and outscored him. http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...1&status=stats

Here's a nice read about him http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...6#.UQX6ImcjH9g

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:10 AM
  #67
MaxLacoste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I will agree with anyone who says we already have our fair share of smaller forwards, but Habs absolutely have to take a look at Taylor Cammarrata. Kid is for real.

He played on the same team as Mackinnon two years ago with Shattuck's and outscored him. http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...1&status=stats

Here's a nice read about him http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...6#.UQX6ImcjH9g
Nice. I don't mind drafting small player. Size doesn't matter when the kid is talented. Actually, I would like to see Montreal draft Nic Petan, who at 5ft9, leads the WHL in points but is rank in the 3rd or 4th round. I know want to get bigger but what we lack most is pure talent. Guys like Duclair, Petan and, now that I know about him, Cammarrata are player I want Timmins to take a chance on. (Not all of them, but a least one)

MaxLacoste is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
  #68
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,142
vCash: 500
Erne has responded well to not only being suspended by the team, but losing Grigorenko. Still my choice if the Habs draft in the 10-15 area.

le_sean is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:28 AM
  #69
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I will add a very underrated defenseman in Ian McCoshen for us in the 2nd round. Personally I would do everything in our power to get our hands on Adam Erne, I really like his game!

Jeffrey is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:31 AM
  #70
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Nice. I don't mind drafting small player. Size doesn't matter when the kid is talented. Actually, I would like to see Montreal draft Nic Petan, who at 5ft9, leads the WHL in points but is rank in the 3rd or 4th round. I know want to get bigger but what we lack most is pure talent. Guys like Duclair, Petan and, now that I know about him, Cammarrata are player I want Timmins to take a chance on. (Not all of them, but a least one)
I wouldn't classify Duclair in the same category as those two. Once he bulks up, he'll be fine physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Erne has responded well to not only being suspended by the team, but losing Grigorenko. Still my choice if the Habs draft in the 10-15 area.
Agreed. He plays a pro game already. He has a lot of drive and surprised me with his speed in the prospect game.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
  #71
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,580
vCash: 500
this thread got quiet...

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:14 AM
  #72
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
so how does the usual suspects top 6 of this upcoming draft stack up with Galchenyuk? T

he impression I had awhile ago was that Galchenyuk won't be as good as Mack, Drouin or Barkov. Were some just being cautious?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
  #73
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
so how does the usual suspects top 6 of this upcoming draft stack up with Galchenyuk? T

he impression I had awhile ago was that Galchenyuk won't be as good as Mack, Drouin or Barkov. Were some just being cautious?
I think that was caused mainly by the "unknown" factor related to Galchenyuk's injury. That and the ever-present "next year's draft is so much better than this year's draft" mentality that exists on these boards. People forget that regardless of the supposed quality of a draft, the different between these kids is not that great and they still have so much development left to go through, that projection is extremely difficult.

The truth is that we won't know who will be the best player for another 4-5 years. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Galchenyuk turns out the best of the bunch.

Fozz is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 09:09 AM
  #74
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
so how does the usual suspects top 6 of this upcoming draft stack up with Galchenyuk? T

he impression I had awhile ago was that Galchenyuk won't be as good as Mack, Drouin or Barkov. Were some just being cautious?
He would have probably gone 7-10, mostly due to missing most of last year. If he was a late 1994 like Monahan and playing the way he has this year he'd be in the conversation with Jones at #1, probably going #2.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
  #75
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Tavares was getting the same treatment. So did Couturier. That's what happens with top dogs. It comes with the attention. Thing is Mack isn't slowing down compared to last year, by any means, and while he didn't dominate at the WJC, he didn't look out of place and deserved a spot, and arguably more ice time. Couturier looked lost in his WJC. Sean also didn't improve his offensive production from the previous year.

Sometimes I wonder for those type of guys if it's better to get an injury when their stock is at the highest, so their struggles don't make them go lower than they should.
MacKinnon was expected to rip up the league this year, maybe not like Crosby(168 points in 62 games) but at least above 2 PPGM pace, especially with the supporting cast he has. So far Drouin is outproducing him by a fair clip(1.67 PPGM vs 2.00 PPGM).

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.