HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Honeymoon over for Kostka?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
OptimusReimer34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomas View Post
I feel like I haven't kept up to date at all, who is Kostka? Why haven't I really heard of him until now?
Someone can correct me if I say anything untrue in this post but Kostka is an un drafted player who has played primarily in the AHL. He is 27 years old and this is his first time in the NHL. He played for the marlies while the lockout was on and put up near PPG down there. He played for 5 different AHL teams in the last 4 years before joining us in the summer so that's probably why you haven't heard of him

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomas View Post
I feel like I haven't kept up to date at all, who is Kostka? Why haven't I really heard of him until now?
only the best thing since sliced bread! and because much like sliced bread, his brilliant simplicity is overlooked

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:02 AM
fahad203

He's a good 5th defencemen

It's not his fault that Carlye puts so much faith in him.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Deezzy22

i guess everyone else who's under performed their first 4 games in the show should get a thread too.

Deezzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Ricky Bobby

Kostka has played well. He has had his blemishes but that is to be expected. Having him play with Phaneuf is just another example of how Phaneuf makes his partners look better. Aulie then Gunnar now Kostka.

Kostka was never going to continue playing 25 minutes a night. He had the advantage of having played all year in the AHL and being one of the best dmen in that league. Once other players started to find their timing, legs, hands and get in game shape he was gradually not going to look as good. Kostka will start to see his minutes go down and I`d expect him to be be playing something like 14-18 minutes a game around game 10.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Christ

Wow, that was fast! Looks like we may have skipped over the honeymoon and moved into divorce proceedings over a single game!

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I find it frustrating that Kostka is getting so much ice time, especially on the power play. It's almost as if Carlyle was singlehandedly trying to turn him into a rags to riches story. And for no apparent reason either. I'd probably like him more if he didn't seem to be playing 1:50 on every PP opportunity.
Yeah, he's totally fine to me 5-on-5, but he slows down the fast puck movement on the PP and it's killing us.

Maybe run him on a second pairing with Gardiner down the road (if they had chemistry in the A), but I would definitely run a different first pairing.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Clark4Ever

Kostka can be a useful player for us if he is rotated on the 3rd defence pairing. Get him off the special team units and reduce his ice time.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
KuleminFan41

He's been fine, people just want to hate him because he wasn't drafted top 5 and is a young "stud"

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I find it frustrating that Kostka is getting so much ice time, especially on the power play. It's almost as if Carlyle was singlehandedly trying to turn him into a rags to riches story. And for no apparent reason either. I'd probably like him more if he didn't seem to be playing 1:50 on every PP opportunity.
Its true...this guy kinda came out of nowhere and now he is the Leafs best D...

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:26 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Leaf fans never fail to amaze me with their over reaction to everything! We have the most pessimistic fans I have ever seen.

Kostka has played 4 NHL games. Going from playing against the top AHL players to the top NHL players is a huge jump. He is also playing with new team mates so his chemistry needs some time for improvement. He had a good first game and played ok the rest. Instead of thinking that he is only going to get worse why not consider him getting better as he adapts to the speed of the NHL, gains better chemistry with his teammates, and plays more realistic minutes.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
NYjetsTOleafs
I'm Your Pushaaaa

Typical leaf fans. Go crazy on every player. Kostka is good imo, been messy at times but it's going to happen. Better than Schenn (different type of D but still) i'd rather have Kostka. Liles/Gardiner should be paired with Dion on the PP, that is why Liles is here, he specializes in that area.
Gunnarsson has sucked this year. Every game he has been unreliable and soft with the puck. I like him but it's been a rough start. He does need some type to regain his mojo from years prior. I'd rotate him out and put in franson or whatever for a couple of games.

NYjetsTOleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Leaf fans never fail to amaze me with their over reaction to everything! We have the most pessimistic fans I have ever seen.

Kostka has played 4 NHL games. Going from playing against the top AHL players to the top NHL players is a huge jump. He is also playing with new team mates so his chemistry needs some time for improvement. He had a good first game and played ok the rest. Instead of thinking that he is only going to get worse why not consider him getting better as he adapts to the speed of the NHL, gains better chemistry with his teammates, and plays more realistic minutes.
But how does a coach justify taking a guy who has been a career AHLer to this point and playing him Zdeno Chara minutes? It is a huge jump, so why is he making it? I can see him being a steady player with 17 minutes a night or something, but when Alex Pietrangelo could be jealous of his playing time, there's a disconnect...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezzy22 View Post
i guess everyone else who's under performed their first 4 games in the show should get a thread too.
If your referring to my Dion thread it goes back a lot further than 4 games my friend..

As for Kostka, very overused.. 30min a night for a rookie is asking waaay to much playing with his non-reliable captain.. this guy is a bottom pairing 15min a night guy who can keep things clean... no idea why he is on the PP...

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Anth93

He's actually quite good. He has zero finish, but as a top 4 dman? I'm sold.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Kostka could be a decent 2nd P guy
replacing the incredible cody franson)

but i dont like him out there against top lines

i can see CF traded when JG returns

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
K could be a decent 2nd P guy
replacing the incredible cody franson)

but i dont like him out there against top lines

i can see CF traded when JG returns
Definitely, Franson is done here. He really just isn't good anyways so whatever.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
bunjay

Was there ever a honeymoon? The guy has been solid. He's one fifth of what's wrong with our powerplay, you'd think there were five of him out there on the man advantage the way people talk about him.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Definitely, Franson is done here. He really just isn't good anyways so whatever.
Hopefully Nonis can get a desperate GM to give us more than his present worth is.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

but rather than trading Franson for a pick
i would send him in a big package deal to get something we really need

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Was there ever a honeymoon? The guy has been solid. He's one fifth of what's wrong with our powerplay, you'd think there were five of him out there on the man advantage the way people talk about him.
No the PP is completely his fault. Even when he's not out there.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
but rather than trading Franson for a pick
i would send him in a big package deal to get something we really need
an even better pick?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Dougie Gilmour

I like how we're only a few games in the season and the **** talking about players has begun....typical leaf fans lmaoo! You guys wanna trade the whole team already? Hahaha

Dougie Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie Gilmour View Post
I like how we're only a few games in the season and the **** talking about players has begun....typical leaf fans lmaoo! You guys wanna trade the whole team already? Hahaha
If the Leafs had a different roster every year, they would have so much more to complain about every year. When you look at it this way, doesn't it make all kinds of sense?

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Interactif

It's not Kostka's fault this defence is so bad that RC is forced to use him in a top 4 role. He's not the problem as opposed to being part of the problem.

Some of us wondered how is this defence better than last year with Schenn, who is not a world beater by any means gone this year. Even if RC's system is better defensively than Ron and gun's is. Same personnel maybe worser.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote