HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth Must Go/Thank You Mr. Wang

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
  #26
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
If we're a couple of years into Brooklyn and no GOOD free agents have been convinced to come here(and Wang has at last shown a sincere willingness to spend), then I'll hammer Snow.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 AM
  #27
KyleBailey12
Registered User
 
KyleBailey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Out of all the things Snow has done poorly during his tenure as GM, drafting is not one of them. I'm sorry.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
  #28
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Look, it's simple. We should draft the best NHL Players in every round of every draft, and they should all reach the NHL FIRST, before any other team has their draft picks playing for them.

Is that too much to ask?
Except for Matt Donovan.


bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
  #29
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
OP, you speak in hindsight. Were you boozin' it up when you posted at 3 A.M.? I won't judge you...

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
  #30
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Except for Matt Donovan.

well played

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:40 AM
  #31
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Snow's a terrible GM. He belongs in an office somewhere with food and a computer. Not managing an NHL hockey team.

All we can do is hope that once this team moves to Brooklyn Ratner tells Snow and Wang to take a hike. Ratner appoints a new president, GM, etc, and tells Capuano to take a long walk off a short pier.

Other than that, we'll be the same ol Islanders. No direction, terrible drafting, and more sucking with players like Okposo to show for it.

I mean, let's give Garth credit, this wil be his 6th year in the lottery.

THATS IMPRESSIVE!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
  #32
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,856
vCash: 250
This is like blaming the hat the bad guy wears.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  #33
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I've heard this from many of my friends who work for the Islanders. He is the new Milbury
Even if the Isles fire Snow in some sort of weird PR charade, they'd just hire another dude that would be Wang's boy. You're not gonna get anything different than what you have already. Snow is just a name attached to a empty title. For ****s sake, he was the ****ing backup goalie that got hired as the GM! You really think the Isles are interested in bringing in someone who will call their own shots and do it their way? Come on.

Fire Snow... whoopdee ****ing doo.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
  #34
Queensdevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
If we're a couple of years into Brooklyn and no GOOD free agents have been convinced to come here(and Wang has at last shown a sincere willingness to spend), then I'll hammer Snow.
This. There is no longer an excuse in my book for players not wanting to come here other than the fact that its seen as a circus.

Queensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:10 PM
  #35
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
All this mention of Snow drafting poorly yet all the organizational prospect rankings I've seen have us with a top 10, or even top 5, group of prospects in the NHL.

But I guess people who do that sort of thing for a living don't know as much as some of the posters on this board.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
  #36
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
This is like blaming the hat the bad guy wears.


The problem with this team begins and ends with Charles Wang.. These threads are so stupid because we all know Garth isn't going anywhere for while as long as he continues to be Charles's puppet.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
  #37
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
All this mention of Snow drafting poorly yet all the organizational prospect rankings I've seen have us with a top 10, or even top 5, group of prospects in the NHL.

But I guess people who do that sort of thing for a living don't know as much as some of the posters on this board.
You can look at it that way or you can look at it as anyone with like 5 straight years of top five picks could stock a farm system.. He's made some great picks the 2008 (later rounds) draft class for instance... But in my opinion he's made a lot of mistakes and I'm not talking in hindsight. I was pretty pissed when they used the 13th pick on de Haan which was a big stretch I was hoping they were planning on taking kassian.. I was pissed they took nino because it was a stretch and was hoping for fowler all the way.. I was hoping for couterier or Hamilton in the strome draft... I was fine with Reinhart.. This isn't me second guessing picks after the fact this is what I was hoping for at the drafts! I'm not gonna bother arguing that snow must go or whatever cause he's wangs puppet he's going no where I just think he's done an ok stockpiling prospects and it coulda been much better.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  #38
ichabod13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post

All we can do is hope that once this team moves to Brooklyn Ratner tells Snow and Wang to take a hike. Ratner appoints a new president, GM, etc, and tells Capuano to take a long walk off a short pier.
when did--or will--ratner buy controlling interest of the new york islanders?
as far as i know hes just the owner of the building, not the team.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  #39
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Now just imagine the Isles continued on the "sign UFA's like Comrie/trade for guys like Smyth in order to continue being a playoff bubble team that gets bounced from the first round" path instead of opting for a full scale rebuild. Just imagine the topics we'd have to discuss:

Can Tim Connolly stay healthy and be the first line center we desperately need?
Why Frans Nielsen didn't re-sign and can newly signed Jeff Halpern replace him?
Deadline Trade: NYI 1st Rounder, Kyle Okposo to PHO for Shane Doan
Lightning superstar center John Tavares: Worth the price of an offer sheet?

Believe me, things could be alot different (worse). Fact is, we now have one of the best core of prospects in the league...thanks to Snow and the staff. Then you look at contracts...Yashin and DiPietro were, without a doubt, dumb contracts. But then look at what they were able to do with the Tavares contract. And Nielsen...and even Grabner. Why are there so many of these young guys so willing to play on the least desirable team in the league? How were they able to diffuse the Nabokov mess?

Snow has made his share of mistakes, as any rookie GM would, and he will need to be held accountable should the team continue to perform poorly. But worse than Milbury? Not even close. Snow has been the Isles best GM since Torrey, which doesn't say much considering we have the awful Don Maloney and Milbury to compare him to.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
  #40
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
The internet and ESPN have ruined the job of gm. You have to realize it takes years of development to turn teenagers into pros. A generation ago, few people knew who the junior players were. NHL execs drafted based on their professional scouting, and let the kids develop in proper obscurity. Nobody was the wiser until the kids were ready and reached the bigs. Now everyone thinks they're a gm because they read about these prospects online or see video of some highlights. Settle down. At this time, you have know way of really knowing which players drafted past few years will be better than others.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
  #41
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post

Believe me, things could be alot different (worse). Fact is, we now have one of the best core of prospects in the league...thanks to Snow and the staff.
Does it really get worse than 5 straight seasons in the draft lotto? How does it get worse than that? Collecting draft picks and having a deep prospect pool should be expected when you finish last every season. It should not be praised.

It is very simple
Snow is a terrible GM

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
  #42
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Garth Snow's time on Long Island needs to come to an end. Another of the many gaffs of Wangbucks was hiring an inexperienced GM who has some how made it to year 6 of this rebuild. Snow has repeatedly botched draft picks and failed many times to deal impending free agents at the deadline. Despite consistently having high draft positions since 2008, Snow has drafted only 1 regular NHLer in the last 3 years. Bailey and DeHaan, both picks Snow traded up or down, to draft, have not worked out. He passed on Cam Fowler, Mikael Granlund, Sean Couturier and Jacob Trouba among many others to reach for picks, and he has done a horrendous job developing young players. Time for a change
Garth has done a great job as GM and i hope he is still in charge when this team is a contender in the very near future. We have some great prospects in the system and once we get to Brooklyn we will be flushed with cash. Free agents will think of signing on but even if they dont the NYI wil resign their own guys that other teams will want. As another poster said, Garth has made mistakes but drafting isnt one of those mistakes.
What has Cam Fowler done in the NHL?
In fact if I was a Ranger fan i would be upset that we passed on him not as a NYI fan.
Ryan Strome looks great and he will help this team for a long time.
Nino is averaging a point a game in the AHL.
The ISLanders have many Defenseman as prospects in the system that other teams passed on in the draft.
Garth must suck cuz he didnt draft King Henrik in like the 7th round which means all these other great GMs missed that boat as well.
Yeah and how about Jaime Benn or Martin St Louis?
Dan Girardi anyone.
The names go on and on. No one drafted Cory Conacher either?
Garth must be a failure than.
In fact Brett Connolly was taken in front of nino and he has yet to step on the ice.
Lets not forget the great Eric Gudbranson and Luke schenn picks.Brock Nelson looks solid and not every player regardless of draft spot will be a star.
How about all thoses geniuses who passed on james Neal and jordan Eberle?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
  #43
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
So basically you are picking and choosing what part of his tenure to blame him for...

Children, sounds quite childish to leave out facts that dampen your argument rather than look at the whole picture...
In Garth Snow's seven years here the Islanders have shown hardly any signs of improvement. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here because all the fans that I talk to feel the same way and want Garth out and you people defend him like he's done a good job

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
  #44
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
All this mention of Snow drafting poorly yet all the organizational prospect rankings I've seen have us with a top 10, or even top 5, group of prospects in the NHL.

But I guess people who do that sort of thing for a living don't know as much as some of the posters on this board.
He's done a great job. You're right. 1 regular NHLer in the past 4 drafts is outstanding. My bad

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  #45
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Does it really get worse than 5 straight seasons in the draft lotto? How does it get worse than that? Collecting draft picks and having a deep prospect pool should be expected when you finish last every season. It should not be praised.

It is very simple
Snow is a terrible GM
Agreed

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  #46
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
You can look at it that way or you can look at it as anyone with like 5 straight years of top five picks could stock a farm system.. He's made some great picks the 2008 (later rounds) draft class for instance... But in my opinion he's made a lot of mistakes and I'm not talking in hindsight. I was pretty pissed when they used the 13th pick on de Haan which was a big stretch I was hoping they were planning on taking kassian.. I was pissed they took nino because it was a stretch and was hoping for fowler all the way.. I was hoping for couterier or Hamilton in the strome draft... I was fine with Reinhart.. This isn't me second guessing picks after the fact this is what I was hoping for at the drafts! I'm not gonna bother arguing that snow must go or whatever cause he's wangs puppet he's going no where I just think he's done an ok stockpiling prospects and it coulda been much better.
Ryan Jankowski was responsible for all those late round picks in 2008 and he left the team 3 years ago

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
  #47
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
i cant blame him i think that every signing and trade he made he rightfully expected it to help the isles get to the play offs, and to all the people that say he sucks with development the only one that looks like a potential bust is de haan, bailey turned into a winger, nino is doing amazing in the ahl, same for strome in the chl and a handfull of players drafted in the last 5 years after the 1st round are already helping us or have really bright futures

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
  #48
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i cant blame him i think that every signing and trade he made he rightfully expected it to help the isles get to the play offs, and to all the people that say he sucks with development the only one that looks like a potential bust is de haan, bailey turned into a winger, nino is doing amazing in the ahl, same for strome in the chl and a handfull of players drafted in the last 5 years after the 1st round are already helping us or have really bright futures

So he tried to make the team better and that is good enough? I can certainly blame him for not icing an NHL quality team the past 6 seasons. Trying is good enough for intramurals and children not professional teams. Professional teams win.

Again having a solid prospect pool when finishing last is to be expected and should not be congratulated.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
  #49
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
The problems with this team are:

1. Crappy building, therefore no significant free agents want to come here.

2. An owner who is considered cheap and unwilling to invest in a quality team, therefore no significant free agents want to come here.

One of these problems will be remedied when we move to Brooklyn, the other, who knows? I have a SERIOUS problem with the job our owner has done with this team. The problem isn't Snow, who's done well with the resources he's been handed, it's the owner.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  #50
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
In Garth Snow's seven years here the Islanders have shown hardly any signs of improvement. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here because all the fans that I talk to feel the same way and want Garth out and you people defend him like he's done a good job
forced optimism to rationalize an existence based on cheering for said team. Biron, Chara and Brewer and Cairns and Mezei with KJ makes us a sure thing for the Cup!

Perspective says you have to do everything right to get the ingredients to make a perfect dish work.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.