HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What Would Your Lineup Look Like After The Recent Moves?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Good to hear from you again...always good to see the oldtimers come around. Anyway, this Stepan-Callahan thing his become my pet peeve, so I get a little testy when I see so many trying to put two players who do not work together on the same line, just because of some silly notion about 1st, 2nd and 3rd line players. Ideally, Stepan should have either Gaborik or Nash on his RW to spread out the offense, but, right now, that 1st line has been beastly, and Nash and Gaborik seem to be developing chemistry, so why not ride it for awhile?
Agreed. Long-term, I'd like to see:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash/Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik/Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Ferriero-Arnott-Asham/Halpern/Rupp

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Aw, c'mon, LM, not you, too? Stepan and Callahan have not and do not have any chemistry whatsoever. They should not be on the same line. Hell, Callahan plays better with Boyle as his center. Was it really surprising to anyone that Stepan played his best game last night when he was moved next to Boyle and Pyatt, and away from Callahan? My daughter and I cringe when we see Stepan and Callahan PKing together. Tortorella seems to have figured out that aspect so far this season.
Yeah for some reason Stepan and Callahan don't gel on the ice.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
haveandare

A lot of lineups with Arnott at 3C and Boyle at 4C. The grass is always greener and Boyle gets a lot of flack for being a good 3C instead of a 2C, which he has never been and isn't expected to ever be. I really don't see how Arnott would be better than him in that role, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
This is an eventual, not a today. I don't think Pyatt is a long-term option on the 2nd line. Hell, I barely think of him as a long term option on the 3rd line.
Still with this crap? He's easily a third liner, you can see it in his play. He's obviously not a long term second line option, but, yes, he IS a third line player, and a good one.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

dont get this whole kreider in the AHL thing to learn...he was down there for 30 games and didnt learn anything, they are a terrible team and there is no talent around him. He cant do a thing playing with scrubs

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Stepan
Hagelin-Ferriero-Callahan
Kreider-Arnott-Asham

Last edited by Kershaw: 01-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
With Kreider performing:

Gaborik-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Arnott-Ferriero
Pyatt-Boyle-Asham
Is it laziness to just quote this because it would be my answer exactly? You can always even switch Boyle and Arnott depending on how they're playing. Same with Kreider and Hags but all-in-all you keep that top line together they are unstoppable.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Riverdale

Stepan and Callahan should NOT be on the same line.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
dont get this whole kreider in the AHL thing to learn...he was down there for 30 games and didnt learn anything, they are a terrible team and there is no talent around him. He cant do a thing playing with scrubs
Whether or not CK foot problems were hampering his performance in his 3 appearances is debatable . I'm not sure if the club has specified of will specify when the injury happened . But honestly , can you honestly say in those 3 games CK at any point looked like any kind of offensive threat ? I wish he did I love this kids frame , speed , his quick release of his shot . What I'm not sold on his his stick handling , play away from the puck , confidence with the puck and situational awareness . If this was going on game 6 of a full season the pressure for him to perform would be much less . He is under a giant microscope in this shortened season and the NYR team and management and coaching does not have the luxury of putting a not NHL READY player on the ice . As for him playing with scrubs , the CT WHALE , system and management's intention is to play a similar style to the parent club so it can teach Torts system to all of its prospects . I think one of CK problems so far as been his ability to grasp playing the style of hockey away from the puck at the pro level . Every shift this short season I looks like he has one eye on the puck and one looking back at the bench waiting to see if be did something wrong . The game is not intuitive to him right now .
During PO last year they said keep it simple skate hard and fast and shoot . He looked good . Now he looks lost and searching for the game . It's going to take time , and this season there is none to spare .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Still with this crap? He's easily a third liner, you can see it in his play. He's obviously not a long term second line option, but, yes, he IS a third line player, and a good one.
I'm not convinced the way he's playing right now will last. Isn't Pyatt known to be inconsistent?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Stepan
Kreider-Arnott-Asham
People gotta stop chalking down Hags-Ferriero-Cally as a long term line. There is no center on that line. Ferriero's career FO% is something like 25%. It worked alright last night against a relatively weak opponent on home ice. It's not going to work most other nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Is it laziness to just quote this because it would be my answer exactly? You can always even switch Boyle and Arnott depending on how they're playing. Same with Kreider and Hags but all-in-all you keep that top line together they are unstoppable.
And Ferriero and Pyatt. More depth means more versatility.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:27 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Pyatt
Arnott-Boyle-Halpern

Staal-Del Zotto
McDonagh-Girardi
Stralman-Eminger

Wait... I'm missing the scrubs
I'm a fan.

I still think, despite their successes at even strength, this team does not have the depth to recover from using the big three on the same line. I'd want them out there on the same unit for the power play, however, which is funny because Torts is doing the opposite.

I suppose that is why he's behind the bench, and I'm sitting here in front of a computer.

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan
Pyatt - Arnott - Ferriero
Halpern - Boyle - Asham/Rupp

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
RangersChamps2417

I'd like to see:

Gaborik-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Arnott-Pyatt
Ferriero-Boyle-Asham
Halpern
Rupp

McD-Girardi
MDZ-Staal
Stralman-Gilroy
Eminger

Hank
Biron

I think that team is pretty deep with Halpern, Rupp and Eminger as scratches. You could rotate Ferriero, Asham and Kreider (if he gets sent down) with Rupp and/or Halpern. I want to see what Gilroy can bring, cause I liked how he played last season, and I'm not crazy about Eminger. Bickel would go down here, and I think we would all welcome that because he sucks

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Dorado*

GABY benefitting from Nash I think more so than from Richards . Nash is the one creating all the plays. He's almost like a shoot first center in how much he controls the puck in the offensive zone . I'm in favor of keeping he big line together and hope that the other lines start producing .

Last edited by Dorado*: 01-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Personally I'd go with

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Asham-Arnott-Ferriero

McD-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Eminger-Stralman

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
After the recent moves I still think that Stepan is the best option as 2nd line center and Boyle is the best option at 3rd line center.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
eco's bones

I think it could be pretty much assumed that at least 2 out of the 3 of Rupp, Asham and Bickel are going to be in the lineup every night and for rather obvious reasons. The Rangers aren't going to be icing a lineup that cannot defend its own. Whether or not a good % of the posters here don't like it is besides the point. We are not the Florida Panthers--the Rangers expectations--being seen as an elite or championship caliber team makes them a target or a team that other teams see as a real test to compare their own progress--beyond that there is bad blood between the Rangers and a number of other teams in the East--the Flyers, Isles, Devils, Penguins, Bruins. We don't want Girardi and Callahan defending Gaborik from Sestito or Clarkson. Short term memory of some. Remember Chris Neil's impact on last years 1st round of the playoffs--Carkner pummeling Boyle?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
And Ferriero and Pyatt. More depth means more versatility.
Yep. You know, I don't want to speak too soon here, but I love Pyatt's game and he brings a lot of what Duby brought here when he was on his game. He's a great addition. Same with Ferriero, I've watched him play before and always thought the guy had great legs and he plays like he has something to prove.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
People gotta stop chalking down Hags-Ferriero-Cally as a long term line. There is no center on that line. Ferriero's career FO% is something like 25%. It worked alright last night against a relatively weak opponent on home ice. It's not going to work most other nights.
Obviously not long term, but I'd like to keep Callahan away from Boyle/Stepan/Richards since he kills the chemistry on those lines.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Obviously not long term, but I'd like to keep Callahan away from Boyle/Stepan/Richards since he kills the chemistry on those lines.
Agree on keeping him away from Richards/Stepan, but is Ferriero even a center? I don't remember Boyle-Callahan being disastorous like Stepan-Callahan. I don't even think its been tried. Boyle and Callahan sounds like they would be able to forecheck very well. And Callahan doesn't need playmaking centers to score, since he does his work in front of the net.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

All healthy...

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Pyatt-Stepan-Gaborik
Kreider-Boyle-Hagelin
Arnott-Halpern-Asham

I love the Earth Wind and Fire line to pieces but I still think for the sake of depth we're a better team with them spread out. This will be much easier once Callahan gets going. We can keep that line together while Callahan is slumping.

I like Ferriero but he was pretty much Kreider's replacement and when Kreider is healthy I think he sits unfortunately. He'd be my first backup though. And maybe he takes Arnott's spot if Arnott blows, but given Arnott's track record versus Ferriero's I think Arnott gets a decent look first. I have no use for Rupp. In fact Bickel is my 14th/goon ahead of Rupp.

People who think Arnott is going to be taking Boyle's spot, or for that matter still capable of playing center at all are in for a surprise.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:53 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Personally I'd go with

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Asham-Arnott-Ferriero

McD-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Eminger-Stralman
Pretty much what I would like to see.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I don't think Callahan is killing chemistry so much as just not playing well.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Bardof425*

Gaborik Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Pyatt
Hagelin Arnott Callahan
Ferriero Boyle Asham

Halpern
Rupp

I like what Asham brings and want him to get comfortable. Cally is having trouble with both Richie and Step. Let's see if he can play with Arnott and Hags. That line may get more ice time than Step's line if Arnott brings something. Also this puts Boyle on the 4th line where he belongs.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
But honestly , can you honestly say in those 3 games CK at any point looked like any kind of offensive threat ?

He wasn't even a threat in Hartford. He would take the puck, skate up, run into a defenseman, turn over the puck, then disappear for the rest of the period. The guy was outscored by Parlett, Pyett and Vernace, who are career-AHL defensemen.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote